closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: top gear

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    Now Top Gear has long since finished being an actual motoring program and instead been a program about three blokes taking the piss out of each other. Except the kind of rapport between JC, RH and JM happens once every, er... well, I can't think of another time it happened on TV.....
    Last of the Summer Wine? (Original cast)
    Father Ted?
    Blackadder?
    Fawlty Towers?

It's his affected naivety and feigned excitement about everything that irks me. It will be interesting to see where the old team end up, and if they'll pose any challenge to him.

Master
    Top Gear's as scripted as many of those sitcoms – the only thing missing was the canned laughter.
    Rapport wise, all have had a cast where it was easy to see that they got on well with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    The Top Gear brand is a huge asset for the BBC, one of their most valuable. It has Live shows, magazines, DVDs and Website with a big following and global reach.
    Top Gear existed before Clarkson, May and Hammond and I'm glad it continues to live on.
    It did but was incredibly dreary with very low ratings.....

...I mostly remember their major bugbear to be about high boot sills and loading shopping...it was dead in the water and the Beeb didn't want it or know what to do with it....

so they let outside production have a bash and completely free rein.... clarkson and wilman resurrected with a new style and tone...JCs status as recognised jour no got them the star cars and when hamkind joined the chemistry started and it went global..... It may have been a BBC idea originally but life shows and magazines and lucrative revenue would never have happened without bedder productions I'm afraid...

The trouble now is its back in BBC W1A hands now.... It's almost ...who can we get? Balding? Humphrey? No they're too busy....who likes cars? Oh Chris on the brekkie show...that's it! Eureka...

As it's back in PC towers the spirit will have gone....it will be a mildly entertaining show with some cars and Chris media chums ...... But that's it......
    Last edited by lordloz; 17th June 2015 at 13:30.

Craftsman
    I had grown tired of the rehashed challenges and increasingly contrived banter, but still found myself drawn to the program.
    A change was needed, and I'll probably find myself drawn to the new series to see how it works out.
    From a marketing point of view, they're doing a great job. It's all over the entertainment news.

Quote Originally Posted by sevvy View Post
    He may be Marmite to people but he's a hugely talented broadcaster on both radio and TV.
    That's a statement, not a fact.

What evidence is there that he's 'hugely talented'?

I find him deeply annoying, the way he interrupts interviewees and other presenters and makes his 'hilarious' asides (in his own mind, one assumes, because if they're as weak and embarrassing there as they are on air, you wonder what switch isn't working to prevent them spilling out!) when someone else actually has something vaguely interesting to say.

I can make the statement that he's a hugely irritating twit. It may not be factual, but at least I've provided some evidence to support my assertion...

One fact, which is indisputable, is that I won't bother watching... (Not unless they get Tiff in to do the road tests and trips and then I can always fast forward through Evans' witlesscisms...)

M

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    That's a statement, not a fact.

What evidence is there that he's 'hugely talented'?
    Radio 2 av. audience of 9.6m per week

Responsible for two of the most iconic shows of the 90's, Big Breakfast and TFI

Radio 1 – 600,000 new listeners over Steve Wright

Virgin Radio – Upsurge in station listening figures of 1.8 million to 2.6 million

Created Ginger Media Group and sold it for £225m

Virgin Radio – Upsurge in station listening figures of 1.8 million to 2.6 million

I figured someone would troop out a load of numbers... Not proof of TALENT or is One Direction the height of musical achievement and Jack Vetriani the best painter who ever lived?

Panders to the lowest common denominator (maybe that's EXACTLY what the Beeb want, of course) - Maybe call Top Gear, Maxx Power instead?

Marmite is edible, Evans is like eating sh*t, goes nicely with his grin...

Anyway, sorry - Not your fault they've given Top Gear to an(other) idiot.

M.
    Last edited by snowman; 17th June 2015 at 15:04.

Quote Originally Posted by saintsinner View Post
    For me with Evans at the helm, it's just another reason not to watch
    my feelings exactly

I preferred Top Gear when it had William Woollard and Chris Goffey TBH, but they're not coming back so I have to move on now and so does everyone else who's pining for the previous presenting line up.

Chris Evans can present and likes cars, so we should give him fair crack of the whip.

Bit like swapping an original TAG Monaco for a petrol station LCD...

I figured someone would troop out a load of numbers...
    Hehehe. If those numbers aren't proof of a talent at his chosen career, I don't know what are.

How are your 'numbers'?

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    Hehehe. If those numbers aren't proof of a talent at his chosen career, I don't know what are.

How are your 'numbers'?
    "A cynic knows the price of everything, but the value of nothing"...

I don't question his success and people tell me he's a lovely bloke when you meet him one to one, but sadly, we'll get the public persona that sets my teeth on edge, the way Timmy Mallett did, on Top Gear...

M
    Last edited by snowman; 17th June 2015 at 17:36.

"A cynic knows the price of everything, but the value of nothing"...

M
    Hehehe (again).

I suspect that the irony of your post will be lost on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    Hehehe (again).

I suspect that the irony of your post will be lost on you.
    Hehehe... clearly...

M.

And to add to the "W1A ness" of next gen top gear....Evans states there will definitely be a female presenter on the new series.... Clare Balding it is then

Oh and of course a transgender monkey.....

AND NOW...

Chris Evans has said auditions will be held to find his co-hosts for Top Gear.

He told the BBC's One Show anyone from around the world with "a real appetite for cars" was welcome to apply, whether they were "famous people" or not.

"If you're up for it, we want to hear from you," the Radio 2 DJ added.

Top Gear meets X Factor...
    Last edited by DMC102; 18th June 2015 at 00:26.

I like Richard Porter and his ideas were excellent (he scripted TG). I thought the show already needed a drastic change of direction and losing the three presenters isn't such a bad thing. I'd like to see Chris Harris as a presenter - he knows how to drive and knows what he's talking about, I'm not convinced any of the last lot could drive (most - if not all - of the driving shots where you couldn't see the driver were done by professional drivers) and while the show needs to entertain it also needs to actually deliver the goods on what's good and bad, and what cars are actually like to drive. I have no interest whatsoever in seeing Jodie Kidd, Sizi Perry or Jason Plato presenting, they're about as interesting as Wayne Rooney. Chris Evans I like a lot. He is a huge petrolhead and has done a lot of good with his love of cars (think Carfest). For the third presenter I'd go for a comedian of some kind. Frankie Boyle should fit the bill...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DMC102 View Post
    Chris Evans has said auditions will be held to find his co-hosts for Top Gear.

He told the BBC's One Show anyone from around the world with "a real appetite for cars" was welcome to apply, whether they were "famous people" or not.

"If you're up for it, we want to hear from you," the Radio 2 DJ added.

Top Gear meets X Factor...
    and there will be no surprises when Suzi Perry gets the job.

Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    and there will be no surprises when Suzi Perry gets the job.
    Nope there won't be much surprise..and it's up to him who he chooses too as apparently his deal means he's also executive producer.... That's just lip service asking the public, shooting starts very soon they've already chosen who they want it's just contracts and lawyers...

Obviously they have blown the budget on the wages that Chris is going to get and are looking for someone really cheap......

Quote Originally Posted by Barryboy View Post
    Exactly. I call him Mimi.... me...me...me... I can't stand the overpaid ginger gobshite. Anybody who plays Bob Seger's "Hollywood Nights" on the radio and then talks right the way through it telling us how the Allegro used to have a square steering wheel (it didn't) and complaining how bland the car was (although that bit is correct) is an arsehole of the first water and is deserving of being rodgered with the rough end of a pineapple.

Rob
    That's a crime in anybody's book.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Grand Master
    The Top Gear brand is a huge asset for the BBC, one of their most valuable. It has Live shows, Magazines, DVDs, Website and a TV show with a big following and global reach.

Top Gear existed before Clarkson, May and Hammond and I'm glad it continues to live on.
    But Top Gear wasn't any of those things before Clarkson, May and Hammond - there are no guarantees it will continue its global influence with a new set of presenters. It isn't simply about the brand.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

I enjoy watching Philip Glenister on "For the Love of Cars", I think he's sufficiently "blokey".

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Blog Entries
    When the last Clarkson fiasco occured, I immediately thought Chris Evans would/should be the natural replacement. It didn't matter who took over, it was always going to be an unpopular move but, he's one of the world's more committed petrolheads and has a keen sense of fun. However, the one thing I could not stand is Jodie Kidd as a co-presenter. I thought she was awful in the Classic Car Show recently. She's not a natural presenter at all.

This whole thing has been played out like a script from Beavis and Butt Head. I've watched Top Gear since it started but not really what you would call a fan as I was always into bikes.
    In recent years it's become a bizarre middle age egotistical romp, that midly amused but other than that not very creative.
    The BBC obviously value it as much as Match of the Day, Evans will try his zany mid life 'crisis what crises' humour. He'll bring his entourage of wealthy friends to the show. If it fits your palette I'm sure it will be entertaining... but you may need an asprin or two to get over it!

Never been a massive fan of Chris Evans, but did get to meet him a couple of times as part of my work and he couldn't have been nicer. A few months after our first meeting I was invited to his company's xmas party and he made a point of getting me a beer from behind the bar and asked about my Christmas plans in a genuinely interested 'normal bloke' way - made slightly surreal by the fact that the Happy Mondays then chipped in from behind me about 'visiting the boring in-laws' etc - just seemed like a very nice chap tbh

Quote Originally Posted by lordloz View Post
    And to add to the "W1A ness" of next gen top gear....Evans states there will definitely be a female presenter on the new series.... Clare Balding it is then

Oh and of course a disabled transgender monkey.....
    Fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaunidle View Post
    I can't see that CE will have the brass neck to front the 'whoops, I've just accidentally set fire to that guys tent with the flamethrower on my caravan' type crap - so it may well actually be a better programme?
    I think CE will make it a better programme for a UK audience but I do wonder if, rather like Mr Bean, the 'whoops, I've just accidentally set fire to that guys tent with the flamethrower on my caravan' is what made it such a huge success abroad ?

Master
    Well seeing as he completely back tracked on his not interested statement and is now one of the presenters, I will not believe a word he spouts on BBC2 in the mornings regarding Top Gear and auditions for the other presenting roles.
    As others have said, I believe the other party's are already chosen, and it's all publicity from here until the official announcement.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    any news about the other two seats?

Menno
    Latest Guess...Quentin Wilson and Jody Kidd?

Evans loves cars but is just too chippy for me.

I'd like Emilia Fox to present it using a script prepared by James May and edited by Martin Amis.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    any news about the other two seats?

Menno
    Russell Brand & Johnathon Ross!

The news about Evans has just killed any remaining interest I had in the show.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Never been a massive fan of Chris Evans, but did get to meet him a couple of times as part of my work and he couldn't have been nicer. A few months after our first meeting I was invited to his company's xmas party and he made a point of getting me a beer from behind the bar and asked about my Christmas plans in a genuinely interested 'normal bloke' way - made slightly surreal by the fact that the Happy Mondays then chipped in from behind me about 'visiting the boring in-laws' etc - just seemed like a very nice chap tbh
    Evans once commented on how nice my shirt was. We were both standing at urinals at the time, having a wee.

Guy Martin was discussed on Evans' Radio 2 show this morning as a potential. He's a bit marmite but I've always enjoyed his other programmes

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Evans once commented on how nice my shirt was. We were both standing at urinals at the time, having a wee.
    In such an open-minded and free-thinking forum, I feel comfortable asking the question we're all thinking.

Which watch were you wearing?

^^ I think Guy Martin would need to have a wash before appearing on the BBC.
    Last edited by bonzo697; 18th June 2015 at 14:00.

I went to see TG being filmed a few years ago, Clarkson spent a lot of time and energy getting the audience going, he was essentially his own warm up act. A lot of the material they filmed couldn't be used because he was either swearing or being rude to guests. It was great, and why the audience looked like they were having a good time. Hammond and May trooped on to do their bit and then buggered off again, they were there as the support act, to make Clarkson look good. The worst thing the new TG can do is try to replicate what made Clarkson's TG so good, which was IMHO the ideas that Wilman, Porter and co came up with, Porters scripts and most of all Clarkson. Evans is going to make a very good show of it but hopefully with sidekicks who contribute more than just getting on with him. TG needs a new format and hopefully Clarkson, May, Hammond and their writers can go away and come up with something else to do, together or not.

Please please please no Butler-Henderson, Perry or Kidd.

Quote Originally Posted by steve1975i View Post
    Russell Brand & Johnathon Ross!
    Dream team!

The boring old duffers have gone - let's have anarchy!
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I'd like to see Chris Harris as a presenter
    For a moment I though you meant Bob!

M

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Fixed.
    Thanks ...remiss of me to leave that Out.....

CE tweeted today that there would be motorbikes on the show. What they need is a tame racing rider. Guy Martin? Although Suzi Perry has a bike licence. Also talk of a female Stig. Sabrine?

Evans resurrected Moira Stuart's career, bringing her to his BBC R2 Breakfast Show as newsreader... Any bets on Angela Rippon making a Top Gear comeback?
    Last edited by DMC102; 18th June 2015 at 23:21. Reason: Stuart, not Stewart

Master
    im just pleased that they are keeping the show and hope it doesn't change too much from what is a winning formula

I think I watched three shows over the years, I liked it but couldent see the point of watching a fourth ?

Evans clearly does know how to make a very entertaining show with broad appeal. My own views are that he will keep the bits that are transferable, and thus there will be some consistency with what people "expect" of Top Gear, but he will up the spectacle (yes, I think this is possible), include more classic cars, and change the approach away from old cantankerous guys being deliberately controversial back to more exuberant fun and actual car reviews. Never forget, this is the guy who created TFI Friday and Don't Forget Your Toothbrush - truly innovative and fantastic shows in my opinion.

Clarkson reporting today he was offered to go back by a BBC exec but wouldn't because of the one that compared him to Saville.... So when he refused they offered to Evans....

The public X factor style auditions.., excuse me ....

Sorry..... will go ahead but "no guarantee you will actually get a job unless you are good and suit the show" so if they win they don't actually win then...

Maybe they get a 5 minute piece on the new Golf tail light design then as a member of the public feature and never to be seen again ...

Meanwhile JC and chums have given the show their blessing....while saying it wouldn't have worked going back as he "couldn't do the show he wanted to do" basically pc hog tied..
    .so he (they presumably) are working on a new car show....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Evans clearly does know how to make a very entertaining show with broad appeal. My own views are that he will keep the bits that are transferable, and thus there will be some consistency with what people "expect" of Top Gear, but he will up the spectacle (yes, I think this is possible), include more classic cars, and change the approach away from old cantankerous guys being deliberately controversial back to more exuberant fun and actual car reviews. Never forget, this is the guy who created TFI Friday and Don't Forget Your Toothbrush - truly innovative and fantastic shows in my opinion.

What you mean is more left wing political show full of PC correctness, hosted by a excruciating self centred egotistical right on brother get down wid the kids type person.

Next you'll be telling us you like Ant & Dec.

Has anybody picked up the fact that these people are all White, or is that going to be his crowning Spectacle.

Jesus Christ.

For a moment I though you meant Bob!

M
    Mmm, nice.

Loved that bloke on OGWT.
    Cheers,
    Neil.