closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Diamond earring device needed

Diamond earring device needed

So I am in Turkey (as I post this) on holiday and will be asking my better half of 10 years to marry me. She has no idea but we have talked about it that we would always chose the ring together.

However, I like to get her some diamond earrings as a present when I ask her. Now I should have thought about this before but as usual with all watch purchases I do on a whim.

So the advice I need is I have seen some diamond earning in 18carat white gold with 0.75 carat stones. I know the clarity is good but at £1,400 is this a good deal?

I know it is a bit vague, but any guidance would really help.

Far too vague I'm afraid. Actual colour and clarity needed plus cut!
    Colour is d-z clarity is p2-if
    Last edited by dom_; 10th June 2015 at 09:22.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    It takes a great deal of experience to judge a diamond. The only possible advice is don't, not without an expert opinion. At the limit, if there is a certificate you could take a flyer. But remember even with a certificate there is variation between the different labs. A stone with for example a GIA certificate maybe VS2 F colour and with another lab the same stone maybe VS1 E colour, or better depending on the lab. I have a great deal of experience buying stones of all kinds. But I still cant see glass filling without a microscope. Neither can I easily detect laser drilling. World diamond prices are pretty consistent. If something is cheaper, there will be a reason.
    Last edited by java; 9th June 2015 at 15:02.

Thanks guys, you just confirmed my own thoughts to bigger risk and no certification on diamonds here

Banned
    I don't understand diamonds. The better the cut, clarity and color, the higher the price. Strangely, synthetic ones with perfect clarity and color are quite cheap. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me to be honest...

The risk with diamonds is that the price appears to be artificially inflated.

First of all, congratulations and hope all goes as planned.
    A bit risky to buy diamonds while vacationing somewhere. And, would need an expert.

My apologies, I seem to have to have stumbled into the TZ Earrings Forum. I'll just pop off back to Watch Talk. Oh, hang on…

Will she say no if you don't buy her diamonds? Thought not. Forget about it and enjoy the moments together without the stress of whether the diamonds you bought her are worth £1400 or not. Diamonds are not always a girl's best friend

Journeyman
    I spent weeks debating with myself about buying the Mrs some expensive white gold and pearl earrings a couple of years back....i think shes worn them once!
    On a positive note i found myself in a similar situation only this year deciding on a £1000 diamond engagement ring or a £350 rose gold and morganite one. I went with the cheaper option and she couldn't be happier with it. Apparently diamonds are out coloured stones are in! :-)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John Robbins View Post
    I spent weeks debating with myself about buying the Mrs some expensive white gold and pearl earrings a couple of years back....i think shes worn them once!
    On a positive note i found myself in a similar situation only this year deciding on a £1000 diamond engagement ring or a £350 rose gold and morganite one. I went with the cheaper option and she couldn't be happier with it. Apparently diamonds are out coloured stones are in! :-)
    Thats what she told you. She doesn't feel so guilty now when she's banging your mate .

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by stefaulkner View Post
    Thats what she told you. She doesn't feel so guilty now when she's banging your mate .
    She wouldn't dare, shes already punching above her weight with me!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post

Correct. Also correct of a million other things on the high street.

Apparently diamonds are out coloured stones are in! :-)
    Very much so, but with Diamond being the only 10 on the mohs (hardness) scale, it's still the most likely to stand the test of time.
    I'm forever talking brides-to-be out of engagement rings featuring Tanzanite and Emerald...they'd usually be destroyed in a decade.
    (Morganite is a good bet though, it's still an 8 on the mohs).

Some of your comments made me laugh. It is more me wanting to give her something than the value. I have found her some really nice earning I know she will like, not expensive at all so let's see what she says in a day or two. Pretty sure it won't be a no

First I knew that diamonds were "out" of fashion.

Where did you get that info?

Quote Originally Posted by alexaff View Post

From a really kind fiancée who didn't want to sound disappointed about not getting a diamond?

Journeyman

it was just a comment by my mrs no doubt designed to ease my consionce about being a skinflint!

In all seriousness the jeweller in ernest jones said that coloured engagement rings have become very popular in the last couple of years. I personally think the one i got at a fraction of the price is much more interesting and suits her pink blingy fashion style. She has has had many compliments on it. I think girls want something different these days. Lets face it nearly every woman you see is wearing a diamond ring and they all look the same so far as engagement rings go. Heres the one i got
    http://www.ernestjones.co.uk/webstor...organite+ring/

it was just a comment by my mrs no doubt designed to ease my consionce about being a skinflint!

In all seriousness the jeweller in ernest jones said that coloured engagement rings have become very popular in the last couple of years. I personally think the one i got at a fraction of the price is much more interesting and suits her pink blingy fashion style. She has has had many compliments on it. I think girls want something different these days. Lets face it nearly every woman you see is wearing a diamond ring and they all look the same so far as engagement rings go. Heres the one i got
    http://www.ernestjones.co.uk/webstor...organite+ring/

I'm guessing the convo went along the lines of-

Whats your budget?

£400

Well we have this lovely Morganite and diamond ring, diamond solitaires are out!

Ok I'll have it!

Thing is, in Ernest Jones a budget of circa £500 will buy you a tiny diamond solitaire so they lead you down the morganite route. By doing this they have maximised profit and got a happy customer who now thinks diamonds are last season.

Nice ring though. I'm not knocking it. Just saying how it is.

Master
    I don't understand diamonds. The better the cut, clarity and color, the higher the price. Strangely, synthetic ones with perfect clarity and color are quite cheap. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me to be honest...

This. Read an interesting view on it just the other day:

http://mikaelsyding.com/retards-notebook/ Scroll down a bit, to "Diamonds – the frothiest bubble of them all?"

"The dreaded overhang that could collapse prices by 99% However, there is something called “the overhang“, consisting of the billions (1/2 bn ct, equal to 50 times the annual production) of inherently worthless inherited white stones, lying around in drawers or safe deposit boxes. If, or should I say when, something triggers a realization of the locked up “value” in the overhang, there won’t be any floor for diamond prices. Until then, the diamond cartel hopes the tagline “diamonds are forever- and should never be resold” will keep the overhang from ever moved. However, in a deep enough economic downturn, the first few diamonds just might be pawned , and then some…

The author is an ex-hedgefundmanager who retired early with enough money to last a few lifetimes.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post

http://mikaelsyding.com/retards-notebook/ Scroll down a bit, to "Diamonds – the frothiest bubble of them all?"
    Thanks

"“There’s going to come a day when all those doctors, lawyers, and other fools who bought diamonds over the phone take them out of their strongboxes, or wherever, and try to sell them,” one dealer predicted last year."

"The dreaded overhang that could collapse prices by 99% However, there is something called “the overhang“, consisting of the billions (1/2 bn ct, equal to 50 times the annual production) of inherently worthless inherited white stones, lying around in drawers or safe deposit boxes. If, or should I say when, something triggers a realization of the locked up “value” in the overhang, there won’t be any floor for diamond prices. Until then, the diamond cartel hopes the tagline “diamonds are forever- and should never be resold” will keep the overhang from ever moved. However, in a deep enough economic downturn, the first few diamonds just might be pawned , and then some…

The author is an ex-hedgefundmanager who retired early with enough money to last a few lifetimes.
    So the author is saying basically that the prices of diamonds are high due to the fact that people have them sat in drawers at home? And if everyone went out and sold at once the price would fall by 99%?

Is that what he saying?

If so that's never going to happen so it is irrelevant and simply ridiculous.

Master
    So the author is saying basically that the prices of diamonds are high due to the fact that people have them sat in drawers at home? And if everyone went out and sold at once the price would fall by 99%?

Is that what he saying?

Never say never I guess... Tulips were the most expensive thing in the world at one point, until they weren't. There's no denying the diamond price and market is entirely synthetic, it seems.

Banned

Is that what he saying?

Yes, I am sure his judgement is deeply flawed. What does a hedgefund trader who retired young with enough money to last many lifetimes know anyway? I am sure he is investing heavily in TAGs.

Yes, I am sure his judgement is deeply flawed. What does a hedgefund trader who retired young with enough money to last many lifetimes know anyway? I am sure he is investing heavily in TAGs.
    The day his point is proven is the day I'll eat a freshly laid turd.

Journeyman
    I'm guessing the convo went along the lines of-

Whats your budget?

£400

Well we have this lovely Morganite and diamond ring, diamond solitaires are out!

Ok I'll have it!

Thing is, in Ernest Jones a budget of circa £500 will buy you a tiny diamond solitaire so they lead you down the morganite route. By doing this they have maximised profit and got a happy customer who now thinks diamonds are last season.

Nice ring though. I'm not knocking it. Just saying how it is.
    i can see how you would think that but as i said in my earlier post i had a budget of £1000 but the ring i eventually purchaced appealed to me from the moment i saw it. The jeweller never said diamonds are out of fashion (that was the mrs after i asked if she would have preferred a diamond!) She just said there had been an increace in sales of gem stone rings for engagements.
    It makes sense to me, why would i spend one or two grand just to get a ring like everyone else has got when i can get one that i think she would prefer for a fraction of the cost. Break the mould, be an individual! :-) anyhow, with the money i saved i threw a great surprise 30th birthday party for her which is when i proposed!
    Last edited by John Robbins; 10th June 2015 at 23:23.

Master
    Where about in Turkey are you heading out there on Monday

In wonderful Kalkan fella

Master
    What if everyone decided to sell their house at the same time. It's not going to happen.

Any massive increase in supply would reduce price but the same could be said about anything.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    What if everyone decided to sell their house at the same time. It's not going to happen.

Any massive increase in supply would reduce price but the same could be said about anything.

People need houses to live in. Noone needs diamonds, for anything, that's a key difference.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yes it's rigged of course, artificial supply side controls, but people are as likely to sell every diamond in a drawer as they are to sell every premium watch. i.e they're not, especially once prices come down so far it's not worth selling...

Arguments over rigged markets aside if you must buy a diamond of any type do your research and buy the best you can. There's plenty of places online where you can buy certificated diamonds with detailed photos and xrays to then make your own choice about what flaws/defects you're prepared to accept for the money. Doing this and then getting a jeweller to make a setting will probably save you from 20-35% over a pre-made piece and you'll know exactly what you're getting.

I did this for my wife's engagement ring. I got to do the proposal bit with a diamond and and she especially loved that she got to choose how the setting was made. Win-win.

Did not expect the thread to go this way. We all have views.

And just looked at tile and which forum I put this in. I will blame it on the cocktails😏

Anyway, good news is she said YES😀

Master
    People need houses to live in. Noone needs diamonds, for anything, that's a key difference.
    Ok, but change houses with art, watches or just about any collectable in the world.

When would there be a realistic situation where everyone thought, 'you know what I'm going to sell all my diamonds'.

It's like a Blue Whale, most people never see them but it's a nice feeling to know they're out there (hence why people donate to WWF etc), just as it's a nice feeling to know you have some precious diamonds in sock drawer some where.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    Ok, but change houses with art, watches or just about any collectable in the world.

When would there be a realistic situation where everyone thought, 'you know what I'm going to sell all my diamonds'.

It's like a Blue Whale, most people never see them but it's a nice feeling to know they're out there (hence why people donate to WWF etc), just as it's a nice feeling to know you have some precious diamonds in sock drawer some where.

You cant manufacture art synthetically from carbon in a lab, though.

World War 3 might be such a situation? Pawn shops full of gold, diamonds, what have you.... That wasnt really the point though, its just an example to show the value is entirely made up, and marketed.

It's a nice feeling while the value is high, sure... I'd feel much better with some gold stashed away though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavham View Post

And just looked at tile and which forum I put this in. I will blame it on the cocktails

Anyway, good news is she said YES
    Pssst...don't want to disturb the row that's taking place, but congratulations!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammond View Post
    Pssst...don't want to disturb the row that's taking place, but congratulations!
    Shhhh ... There's a fight brewing here which is much more important....

:-)

congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by Cavham View Post

And just looked at tile and which forum I put this in. I will blame it on the cocktails

Anyway, good news is she said YES
    I Agree

Banned
    I'd feel much better with some gold stashed away though.
    Yes, have fun selling it when the proverbial hits the fan. A gold coin for a glass of fresh clean water... A 1ct diamond for a piece of bread. Not unheard of when times get tough.

Master
    Yes, have fun selling it when the proverbial hits the fan. A gold coin for a glass of fresh clean water... A 1ct diamond for a piece of bread. Not unheard of when times get tough.

I think some financial turmoil and rising gold prices would preceed that scenario. Plenty of time to liquidate and stock up on shotgun shells, canned food and fresh water ;)

Gems are always the future.