closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My first Panerai arrived today

My first Panerai arrived today

Hi all, had a bit of a crazy week, which saw me trading my ceramic Submariner, for a Pelagos and then a couple of days later picking up an Anonimo Polluce from another forum member. Then, thanks to this heads up by shadowman (forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?336242-20-off-a-good-selection-of-Panerai-s&highlight=Panerai&p=3560144#post3560144) I made my first Panerai purchase, but the choice between the models was quite hard to make.

I would have loved the 233, but that was definitely out of budget, so the toss up was between the 560 and the 512. I'd always been unsure about the the chunk of the Luminor, whilst at the same time being quite seduced by its case design and also thought that if I was to get a PAM my first would have to be a 44mm Luminor or a 45mm Radiomir to get into the whole thing. But looking at the two watches over and over I couldn't help but prefer the look of the 42mm case/lug and dial of the 512, and thought it would be nice to have a slightly thinner watch in my collection (that mainly consists of divers anyway)

So, perhaps a rather unorthodox first Panerai purchase, but my brand new 512 arrived today and so far I am VERY happy with how it looks on the wrist. It really is a very classy looking watch, which at first worried me as I'm not your typical dress watch kind of guy. But I realised I was just focusing on the polished case and overlooking the beautiful matte dial with its creamy yellow sandwiched lume. Plus, I have a sneaky feeling this won't be the only PAM I'll ever own, so I'm sure a more 'traditionally' sized model might find is way into the collection at some point.

I also decided it will suit me better on a day to day basis with a more plain strap than the black croc it comes on, so went strap hunting as well. Annoyingly I don't think the watch will work with 99.9% off Panerai style straps with its thin lugs and more classic design so ended up taking a gamble and ordered a Hirsch Heritage in anthracite, which will hopefully arrive next week.

Anyway, here's a couple of phone pics I took earlier, plus one of the lovely movement:

Cheers,
    Tris
    Last edited by trisdg; 24th June 2015 at 23:04.

That is a stunning watch. Perhaps the only Panerai my wrist could carry off. Enjoy.

Mega socks too

Congratulations!

Banned
    i really like the design of these, the only down side is the poor WR rating.

Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    100 metres is more than enough for me. For anything really wet, like washing up, the Pelagos springs into action ;-)

Congratulations on your pick up. personally i think the Radiomir suits the vintage straps it was the original after all, i feel it struggles with the more contemporary material straps..

Banned
    Looks superb, great choice and great photo!

You are Cat Weasel and I claim my £10.00

Looks great.
    Congrats and enjoy.

That's handsome - congratulations. That thread nearly de-railed my summer plans for watch-buying, but I managed (only just!) to resist! Looking forward to see what other straps you put on it.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by trisdg View Post
    100 metres is more than enough for me. For anything really wet, like washing up, the Pelagos springs into action ;-)

Good man, but grab the PO for watering the garden, you never know!

Congrats on the Panerai, it looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by Captainhowdy View Post
    They're always on a leather strap so are never going to be submerged anyway, although I was happy to swim in mine - nice screw down crown. If you want to dive in a PAM, it's the Luminor.

Master
    AWESOME socks. Pam's nice as well.

I'm in the process of flipping my Pam's but I think I'll probably regret it,that looks good

Welcome to the Club!

Blued screws would have offset the blue Panerai writing and made this watch stratospheric.

I think that looks great. I really wanted a Radiomir at one point but I found the 45mm case was just slightly too big for my 7" wrist (this is despite having other large watches like a Seawolf and a Santos 100 which are OK).

Great watch, enjoy you new Panerai!

Thanks for all the nice comments :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Nansbread1 View Post
    Blued screws would have offset the blue Panerai writing and made this watch stratospheric.
    That would look great. I've been looking at pics of lots of their modern calibres and they don't appear to do blued screws very much, if at all.

Quote Originally Posted by marcus fenix View Post
    I think that looks great. I really wanted a Radiomir at one point but I found the 45mm case was just slightly too big for my 7" wrist (this is despite having other large watches like a Seawolf and a Santos 100 which are OK).
    I was half tempted by the Black Seal, but had the same concern about the size. I know that Panerai collectors consider this a small watch, but it looks pretty big to my eyes ;-)

Craftsman
    Congratulations, I've bee lusting after a 512 since I tried one on last year, will have see if I can find a way to make it happen!

A lovely looking watch - good choice and congratulations.

Nothing wrong with that at all. A great choice

lovely reminds me of the Marina Militare

Master
    Lovely watch, congratulations. I did the opposite to you. I started off wanting a 512 but ended up going for a Radiomir 183. Given the wire lugs it didn't end up wearing that much bigger than the 512. I'm saving up for a Luminor now as I've well and truly caught the bug

That is an extremely handsome watch. Congratulations.

Craftsman
    Probably the classiest of them all - tried this on and echo the sentiment that it's the only Panerai I could ever pull of on my svelte wrists :P

Blog Entries
    A beauty Tris and congrats.

Now let the strap purchase fes begin, it's a slippery slope

Paul

stunning watch. out of interest what straps are you looking at?

Great choice, congrats and enjoy.

Master
    Blog Entries

Well done!

Great!

Quote Originally Posted by Harpo1 View Post
    stunning watch. out of interest what straps are you looking at?
    I've ordered the Hirsch Heritage, but have been looking at Dangerous 9 a lot, as well as Combat Straps and also the storm grey and standard black from Toshi. Still concerned that the usual 4mm+ thick 'Panerai style' straps will swamp the svelte lugs which are less than 3mm.

I've found that quite a lot of the custom strap makers don't make anything under 24mm wide. Plus, the ones who do often don't taper them out, so you can't fit the OEM buckle. I have a couple of Toshi's in my box, so might fit them tomorrow if I get a chance. Will post a couple of pics of I do :-)

I've ordered the Hirsch Heritage, but have been looking at Dangerous 9 a lot, as well as Combat Straps and also the storm grey and standard black from Toshi. Still concerned that the usual 4mm+ thick 'Panerai style' straps will swamp the svelte lugs which are less than 3mm.

I've found that quite a lot of the custom strap makers don't make anything under 24mm wide. Plus, the ones who do often don't taper them out, so you can't fit the OEM buckle. I have a couple of Toshi's in my box, so might fit them tomorrow if I get a chance. Will post a couple of pics of I do :-)
    Can vouch for combat straps, Aaron's work is some of the finest..

Got to be honest.Panerai are not my bag but that does look very very nice. A good choice IMVHO.

One of the few Panerais that I'd pick, their three hand sandwich dial models are the best they do IMO.

Craftsman
    Congrats sir, very nice indeed.

Master
    Love Panerais!!! Congrats!"

Master
    Lovely watch OP - enjoy it (I've got a 514 and my wife has a 512)

Craftsman
    Lovely. I'd love a 312 but they just keep going up in price.

Craftsman
    Very nice! Congrats.

Craftsman
    Looks great.
    Congratulations and enjoy!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Tapering and thinner straps are harder to come by but you can check out Strap Works who make close to OE look and quality. The Watch Boys offer a limited selection and there are others when I can recall their names. OE options shouldn't be ignored and there is a UK seller "Dean Lang" who is very active on Paneristi, The brown and black water buffalo are classy but casual, and the original 'Cashmere' strap is lovely. You can see the OE options on Panerai's website.

http://www.panerai.com/en/home.html

Quote Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
    Tapering and thinner straps are harder to come by but you can check out Strap Works who make close to OE look and quality. The Watch Boys offer a limited selection and there are others when I can recall their names. OE options shouldn't be ignored and there is a UK seller "Dean Lang" who is very active on Paneristi, The brown and black water buffalo are classy but casual, and the original 'Cashmere' strap is lovely. You can see the OE options on Panerai's website.

http://www.panerai.com/en/home.html
    Thanks, that's great to know.

Have bookmarked them for next weeks perusal (pay day)

You know you're costing me a lot of money at the moment! ;-)
    Last edited by trisdg; 26th June 2015 at 12:59.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, that's great to know.

Have bookmarked them for next weeks perusal (pay day)

You know you're costing me a lot of money at the moment! ;-)

One should never blame the messenger

Cost myself some money too, i've got one ordered as well.

What did you get? A watch or a strap?

I'm thinking of getting a Strap Works strap, but also just come across a site called crown & buckle who do some nice looking vintage leather straps.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Personallyl lltrisdg;3564490]What did you get? A watch or a strap?

I'm thinking of getting a Strap Works never understood just come across a site called crown & buckle who do some nice looking vintage leather straps.[/QUOTE]

A watch

Personally I think your new watch is better suited to the more elegant of straps. The ammo look I've never understood or liked myself.

Craftsman
    That's absolutely fabulous. Well done and great to be able to get the watch discounted so. How have you found wearing it now you've had it a few days? Do you see it more as a formal watch or every day? Have you got it wet yet!?

Many hearty congratulations. I have svelte wrists too and would absolutely love one of these. If you get the chance to post up some more photos please do!

That's a beautiful watch. Congrats.

Apprentice
    Stunning watch Tris!