closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: SOTC - Rolex Free

SOTC - Rolex Free

It has been over three years since I posted this state of the collection.

Back then I thought that the collection was complete but it turned out I was very wrong and the flipping bug soon got me. Most of the watches shown above were replaced and the collection soon came to resemble a Rolex AD's window. At the beginning of the year I had what, given recent debates on here, can be described as a Clarkson moment. It's not that Rolex don't make great watches, it's more that they make too many of them. Working in the city it seems that virtually everyone you come across is wearing a Rolex and I decided that, with the kind of money that these cost, I would like a certian level of exclusivity that Rolex, despite the best efforts of their PR department, just can't provide.
    Change was afoot and what follows, although maybe not to everyone's tastes, more resembles the variety of the 2012 collection. It may not be the end of the journey but, for now at least, these tick all of my boxes.

Vacheron Overseas Dual Time - A bit of a grail which has lived up to all expectaions. This was bought to replace a AP Millenary Dual Time which, despite being a beautiful watch, I just found too small at 39mm wide and only 35mm tall. Probably the most comfortable bracelet I've ever owned.

AP Royal Oak Offshore Diver - Another grail and a superbly well built watch.

Girard Perregaux Laureato Evo 3 18k Moonphase - A watch with a craxy retail price but, thankfully, much more reasonable preowned. The quality of the workmanship that has gone into the dial is obvious and this is probably my favourite piece. Sadly now discontinued.

Franck Muller Taormina King - Far from a forum favourite but I fancied something a little different to the norm and this was available NOS. It is basically a stock movement but the watch itself is very well made and I love the colour combination.

Cuervo Y Sobrinos Robusto Chronograph - A brand not often discussed but, again, something a little different with a bit of latin flair.

Romain Jerome Moon Dust DNA - A brand often derided on this forum but I would echo the thoughts of other owners in that this is a very well built piece and, more than that, it very much appeals to the sci fi geek in me. Crazy retail price again but available from grey dealers for much more realistic amounts.

JLC Master Compressor Chronograph - The last piece of the jigsaw which arrived from an Italian dealer yesterday and has blown me away. I was looking for a more sporty chrono since trading the Daytona a couple of months ago. Flirted with a Breguet Type XXI briefly but just didn't click and this fits the bill nicely.

The only regret I've had along the way was selling the Olympic Speedmaster a couple of years ago. I had built an emotional bond with the watch after wearing it to various Olympic events with my eldest daughter and I sadly only realised the bond after I had let the watch go for a ridiculously low trade in price. I have since seen the exact same watch sold on ebay but I was too late. Hopefully it will, one day, make its way back to me.

Master
    I like a bit of variety so thanks for sharing. The Girard Perregaux Laureato Evo 3 18k Moonphase is lovely. That JLC though - subtle and so nice.

Master
    Looks well Dan, and nice to see your individualism coming through in the shape of the CYS and RJ.
    The GP Evo has been discontinued, but it was replaced with the Traveller, which has all the same elements and layout (seconds sub dial, moonphase, PR, big date), but loses the octagonal bezel and waffle dial.

Love that jlc!

Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post

Romain Jerome Moon Dust DNA - A brand often derided on this forum but I would echo the thoughts of other owners in that this is a very well built piece and, more than that, it very much appeals to the sci fi geek in me. Crazy retail price again but available from grey dealers for much more realistic amounts.

Great, and very varied, collection! I haven't seen that Romain Jerome watch before: definitely a fun watch and those antenna (?) hands are perfect!
    Last edited by WatchIng; 25th June 2015 at 13:57. Reason: Missing comma [OCD, sorry!]

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm sure I'm not the only who thinks your new collection beats the old one hand down.

My favourites are Girard Perregaux, VC and JLC, probably too big for my wrist though...

Edit: That pic of the VC got me looking at them - your wrist shot shows it off FAR better than the official website where it looks decidedly ordinary
    Last edited by Scepticalist; 25th June 2015 at 15:43.

Master
    Lovely collection and the jlc is a lovely piece

Some cracking and unusual choices there, very nicely done. Much prefer that to the last lot.

A really interesting collection which I'm sure brings a lot of joy!

-flugzeit

Craftsman
    Lovely.

That AP is very alluring, esp with the screw heads being all aligned

Blog Entries
    Pretty cool collection and well done for making your own choices...

I have nothing against the Omega PO, Rolex Sub and a G shock collections, but, they're hardly 'out there' in terms of originality

I'd take the GP!

Craftsman
    I'm starting to appreciate the Overseas more and more - it really is an underrated model in the high-end sportswatch category!

Quote Originally Posted by Kidsteruk View Post
    Lovely.

That AP is very alluring, esp with the screw heads being all aligned
    They are recessed bolt heads and are screwed into from the caseback. The slots are just cut for decoration. For some reason AP seems to refer to them as 'screws' :)

Lovely collection and I share your views on wanting a choice which offers good variety and reflects your personal preferences.

Prefer the new collection to the old. Something different

Master
    Blog Entries
    Wow - different and interesting. Thanks for sharing

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Danstone View Post
    It has been over three years since I posted this state of the collection.

Back then I thought that the collection was complete but it turned out I was very wrong and the flipping bug soon got me. Most of the watches shown above were replaced and the collection soon came to resemble a Rolex AD's window. At the beginning of the year I had what, given recent debates on here, can be described as a Clarkson moment. It's not that Rolex don't make great watches, it's more that they make too many of them. Working in the city it seems that virtually everyone you come across is wearing a Rolex and I decided that, with the kind of money that these cost, I would like a certian level of exclusivity that Rolex, despite the best efforts of their PR department, just can't provide.
    Change was afoot and what follows, although maybe not to everyone's tastes, more resembles the variety of the 2012 collection. It may not be the end of the journey but, for now at least, these tick all of my boxes.

Vacheron Overseas Dual Time - A bit of a grail which has lived up to all expectaions. This was bought to replace a AP Millenary Dual Time which, despite being a beautiful watch, I just found too small at 39mm wide and only 35mm tall. Probably the most comfortable bracelet I've ever owned.

AP Royal Oak Offshore Diver - Another grail and a superbly well built watch.

Girard Perregaux Laureato Evo 3 18k Moonphase - A watch with a craxy retail price but, thankfully, much more reasonable preowned. The quality of the workmanship that has gone into the dial is obvious and this is probably my favourite piece. Sadly now discontinued.

Franck Muller Taormina King - Far from a forum favourite but I fancied something a little different to the norm and this was available NOS. It is basically a stock movement but the watch itself is very well made and I love the colour combination.

Cuervo Y Sobrinos Robusto Chronograph - A brand not often discussed but, again, something a little different with a bit of latin flair.

JLC Master Compressor Chronograph - The last piece of the jigsaw which arrived from an Italian dealer yesterday and has blown me away. I was looking for a more sporty chrono since trading the Daytona a couple of months ago. Flirted with a Breguet Type XXI briefly but just didn't click and this fits the bill nicely.

The only regret I've had along the way was selling the Olympic Speedmaster a couple of years ago. I had built an emotional bond with the watch after wearing it to various Olympic events with my eldest daughter and I sadly only realised the bond after I had let the watch go for a ridiculously low trade in price. I have since seen the exact same watch sold on ebay but I was too late. Hopefully it will, one day, make its way back to me.
    Jeez. That's a serious collection!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Love the GP btw, never seen one in rg before...

Master
    The JLC is the one for me - oozes class imo compared to a Daytona and clearly a step up above the classic Chrono the Speedmaster which is the benchmark for me in good, legible chronos

Love the Romain Jerome!

Very different.

Quote Originally Posted by klockodile View Post
    Jeez. That's a serious collection!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Love the GP btw, never seen one in rg before...
    No need to quote the whole post!

For the OP,
    Love the VC,JLC,APdiver
    Nice group and nice to see stuff off the beaten path.