closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Have you owned the new Sea Dweller, then flipped it ?

Have you owned the new Sea Dweller, then flipped it ?

The new Rolex 116600 Sea Dweller is on my radar as my next purchase, I've tried to resist it but after handling one at my local AD the pull is strong, I've sold a few other pieces and now am ready to go on one.

To those of you who've owned one then flipped it for something else, why did you get rid of it ? Was there anything you didn't like or couldn't live with ?

Thanks in advance for any responses

I've just taken delivery of one around 3 weeks ago and it's barely been off my wrist since. This is my first Rolex and its a keeper. In fact, dare I say it, my collection is complete

Can't help you on the flipping front but I also tried it on when I got my AP. I'd never been remotely interested in Rolex before but having tried the AP, a DSSD and the SD4000 i really fancied one. I ended up with the AP but the SD4000 has been on my want list since.

Great size, weight and balance for me, with the glidelock bracelet its incredibly comfortable and in fact I've even ordered my first NATO for it.

Master
    Yes, owned and flipped.

I went from a 16600 to an SD4000 and the weight and size were very noticeable for me. It felt huge on my wrist in comparison but maybe that's just me. Also had quality issues with it having to go back to Rolex to get the bezel properly aligned which I thought was disappointing. Also within a week of ownership I picked up a rather heavy ding to one of the shoulders, again a dissapointment as I don't mishandle my watches and was surprised to see it had scuffed so easily.

Despite all this i still regret letting it go and want another.

Quote Originally Posted by ads54 View Post
    Yes, owned and flipped.

I went from a 16600 to an SD4000 and the weight and size were very noticeable for me. It felt huge on my wrist in comparison but maybe that's just me. Also had quality issues with it having to go back to Rolex to get the bezel properly aligned which I thought was disappointing. Also within a week of ownership I picked up a rather heavy ding to one of the shoulders, again a dissapointment as I don't mishandle my watches and was surprised to see it had scuffed so easily.

Despite all this i still regret letting it go and want another.
    Ha ! Great feedback, thanks, I think it only weights 20g more than a 16600 so interesting what you said about it feeling much heavier, how long did you wear it for before you flipped it ?

I had a SubC last year but ended up selling it, I just couldn't get on with the new square case shape, it's just too square, but I like the more tapered lugs on the SDc and lack of cyclops
    Last edited by Vanguard; 14th July 2015 at 11:46.

Master
    I had it for a couple of months before letting it go.

Biggest memory of it was walking around the fringe in Edinburgh and feeling very self conscious of it, the weight and size, almost like I had to pull my arms in when walking past anyone! Lol. And door frames were my nemesis.

In in all honesty the bracelet and case, lume and dial are superb. Everything that I wanted updating from my 16600 was. But in the end I just couldn't stop thinking about the lightweight rattley bracelet and slim case shape of my 16600 being so comfy and just perfect for me at the time.

Maybe be I was just going through a nostalgic few months but I just didn't bond with it. Hence the sale.

Master
    Blog Entries

sd4000

Hi,

I own both Sea-dwellers previously mentioned, and love them both but since buying the SD 4000 it has not been off my wrist and this is a change of behavior for me as I have always been drawn towards the vintage model and ownership. The newer model fits all occasions and has the most feed back from other WIS types. The older SD is not as heavy on the wrist and sits lower albeit, but the new model is something quite special with the ceramic bezel, Maxi dial, bracelet and blue chromolite lume. It will not be going anywhere soon which can't be said for the older model now. Best advice would be to go and check one out at an AD but be warned they are Special a bit like a 1665 but in a modern way.

Cheers,
    M
    P.S. yep my first SD 400 had the same bezel alignment issue but the AD just made a swap the next day. I think this is a common issue.

Quote Originally Posted by milwatch126 View Post
    Hi,

I own both Sea-dwellers previously mentioned, and love them both but since buying the SD 4000 it has not been off my wrist and this is a change of behavior for me as I have always been drawn towards the vintage model and ownership. The newer model fits all occasions and has the most feed back from other WIS types. The older SD is not as heavy on the wrist and sits lower albeit, but the new model is something quite special with the ceramic bezel, Maxi dial, bracelet and blue chromolite lume. It will not be going anywhere soon which can't be said for the older model now. Best advice would be to go and check one out at an AD but be warned they are Special a bit like a 1665 but in a modern way.

Cheers,
    M
    P.S. yep my first SD 400 had the same bezel alignment issue but the AD just made a swap the next day. I think this is a common issue.
    Hi, thanks for the feedback, Yes I have seen one at my local AD which is why I want one ! When you say your AD made a swop the next day do you mean the whole watch ?

Interesting comments on the slim case and sitting lower from the members above has anyone got a side by side pic of a 16600 and a 116600 as I thought they both measure the same in thickness of 15mm.

I have and currently owned a 116600, sold my first and regretted it so picked up another, great watch and my current favourite in Rolex's line up.

Quote Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post
    Interesting comments on the slim case and sitting lower from the members above has anyone got a side by side pic of a 16600 and a 116600 as I thought they both measure the same in thickness of 15mm.

I have and currently owned a 116600, sold my first and regretted it so picked up another, great watch and my current favourite in Rolex's line up.
    Yes I thought they were both 14.5 or 15mm also, the SDc is supposed to wear a bit less top heavy as I've read the bracelet is heavier so counter balances the case, I did try it on at my AD but it wasn't sized correctly for me so hard to give an opinion on comfort

Master
    I tried one on yesterday in Goldsmiths, Meadowhall. Very, very nice they are but could I justify one over my SubC? The dial size does seem smaller than the sub, I'm not sure if its just an optical illusion. The matt dial is nice. If I could be bothered to flip my sub then maybe I would buy one, I do miss the date on a watch. Trade in value was a joke from Goldsmiths!
    I'd say go for it, it looks like the perfect everyday watch.

I bought one new last September and flipped it on SC. I just felt that some of my other dive watches offered better value for money at that time. I still prefer it to any other watch in the Rolex range, even though my love for Rolex is at an all time low.

Do I regret selling it? I do, mainly because of the silly price I sold it for.

Master
    All the ceramics are too blingy for me, but of all the current range it's the best in my opinion.

Flipped it though; too blingy.

brother had one but once he got the blnr gmt he didn't want the sd ceramic

I like them a lot but for 1k+ less the sub ceramic will do for me

although the sd does look better with its nicer slightly slimmer case / no Cyclops and the matt dial is really nice

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    All the ceramics are too blingy for me, but of all the current range it's the best in my opinion.

Flipped it though; too blingy.
    I have to agree.

Craftsman
    Interesting to read about the weight difference. I tried a SD4000 at an AD and one of the things that I didn't like about it was that it felt a bit lightweight compared to my 16600! It's not for me I'm afraid as the writing on the dial seems more intrusive, as do the maxi lume dots, and I can't get on with the ceramic bezel - far too blingy for a tool watch in my opinion. However, lots of people love them so what do I know?

I've really warmed to this but have concluded that it really isn't worth the money to upgrade from my SubC.

Blog Entries
    Bought one flipped it and then bought another when I missed it!!! :)

No.

M.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    No.

M.
    Beat me to it!

The SDc is a fabulous watch, just don't buy it at full UK AD retail. There are deals to be had if you shop around.

I'd really like to add one - but it is going to be a while before I clear the decks and regroup. I think a nice SDc alongside another 42mm Explorer would make a nice modern pairing with enough difference between the white and black dials to keep my interest.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by newsboy View Post
    Bought one flipped it and then bought another when I missed it!!! :)
    Snap I repurchased my second within a week! Regretted it the minute I dropped it off at the PO on its way to a forum member

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I think a nice SDc alongside another 42mm Explorer would make a nice modern pairing with enough difference between the white and black dials to keep my interest.
    I have the "modern pairing" of an SDc and a BLNR. Works for me...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I'd really like to add one - but it is going to be a while before I clear the decks and regroup. I think a nice SDc alongside another 42mm Explorer would make a nice modern pairing with enough difference between the white and black dials to keep my interest.

I went with the Daytona (white dial) to compliment the Seadweller but I've now added a Sub 114060 on nato so that's my current trio.

If I didn't have the WG Daytona, then it would more than likely be the white dial version here too. I will have to try the SDc at some stage though - just not sure what I am prepared to sacrifice in order to do so.
    It's just a matter of time...

I've owned my since March and it's not left my wrist since then. There isn't anything I don't like. If I had to have just one watch this would be it. I would however have to agree with Guitarfan, don't get one at the full UK AD price. I bought mine through a grey deal for over 1k less. I also saw one recently at Schipol airport that worked out at £5.3k.

You might find this link useful (if nothing else, for the comparison photos).
    http://www.luxify.de/rolex-sea-dwell...00-16600-1665/

I currently have the SD, LVc and SDc - I've pretty much decided to sell the SDc. I never intended keeping both the old and new SD (I bought it thinking it fixed the few foibles of the old model and that I would sell my original). However, I've since decided that:
    i) I can't part with my old one (a qualification present to self), and
    ii) The new model is noticeably (to me) heavier and bulkier than the old model (as mentioned above) and I do sometimes find this annoying.

Own one and don't intend to flip it.
    Haven't seen a version of SD that I don't like.
    They are all different and all great in their own way.
    I don't find the SDc noticeably heavier and bulkier but could be because I don't mind the heft and the bulk.

Master
    Blog Entries

SD4000

Yes,
    M

I own one (bought off the forum) and love it, wear it carefully and no intention of selling at present. it's outlasted both my LVc and BLNR.

Thanks for the feedback guys, a lot of mixed opinions, I guess I'm going to have to buy one and make my own mind up.

Master
    I've had one for over a year now. Wear it every day and it's the only constant in my ever changing collection.

Can't see it going anytime soon.

Journeyman
    Had mine for 4 months and no regrets or intention of flipping it. In terms of weight (177g) and chunkiness (15mm thick) it is a substantial watch, but very comfortable due to the adjustability with the Glidelock. I personally prefer the size / weight of the SDc over the Sub, but I'm used to wearing a bigger, heavier and thicker watch. I guess whether you perceive the SDc as big / heavy / thick depends to some degree on what you are used to wearing. I'm sure that if my frame of reference was my friend's (lovely but thin) Nautilus, then I'd think the SDc was a massive beast. I also find that when I swap to one of my smaller / thinner watches for a day, it makes me even more appreciative of the dimensions and feel of the SDc when I switch back to it. Good luck with trying it out for yourself.