closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad night on SC

Master

Bad night on SC

Bad night on SC. Not many watches. Lots of 'stuff'.

Fortunately, however, not the "sweat thong".

That said, is there too much 'stuff' there these days?

There has been a lot lately but I'm a culprit and it's within the rules so fill yer boots (or buy a pair)!

I love sc,doesn't matter what it is ,i love a bargain

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post

No.

You've been here 3.5years longer than me and so know that there has always been non watch stuff for sale. Eddie has always - well, since at least early 2006 - made it clear that is OK.

Personally I disapproved of splitting the WTB from the For Sale forum but it is not my forum so I'll eventually get over it.

I agree Tinker, 100%. This is a watch forum, after all.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 11erv View Post
    I agree Tinker, 100%. This is a watch forum, after all.
    Primarily it is, yes, but how many sub forums are there, and how many are non watch related?

Like I say it has been like this since early 2006.

I once bought a fountain pen from SC. Would you like to guess who the seller was??

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    Primarily it is, yes, but how many sub forums are there, and how many are non watch related?

I once bought a fountain pen from SC. Would you like to guess who the seller was??
    Accepted. And, I have met many wonderful, like minded, fellow watch enthusiast, members. Cognoscenti alike. But the appearance of gun and multiple knife related 'adverts' on sales corner, do make me question my ongoing membership, of this once fine forum.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I particularly like Buns.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post

I've bought lots of 'stuff' on SC, not least a Porsche 911, a tablet for my wife and my mobile, for example, and sold things, too.

Like most of us, I suppose, I like dealing with people I believe I can trust.

However, SC's becoming cluttered now and there's a good argument, I think, for 'stuff' to have its own sub-forum.

I've bought lots of 'stuff' on SC, not least a Porsche 911, a tablet for my wife and my mobile, for example, and sold things, too.

However, SC's becoming cluttered now and there's a good argument, I think, for 'stuff' to have its own sub-forum.
    Exactly that!!

Master
    Seriously a 911?? Good man!

Never bought a car on SC, geography being the main reason otherwise i'd most definitely had Crouchy's Landy this week, but had lots of other stuff.

My only "bitch" would be the price watches have got to...............a few years back Alexaff and a few others (a lot of whom have disappeared), myself included would have had a few beers ( i assume) of a Friday night and dabbled in things we hadn't had. The craic was great and if you didn't like it hey ho sell it on the next week, but bah humbug not the same anymore, clientele has changed, prices mean its not a "dabbling" game anymore unfortunately. Maybe I'm just getting old and have had too much red wine...........................

I've bought a bike, a car and a watch via SC. I like it because I consider the sellers to be more trustworthy than e bay.

Not a fan of non watch related stuff on SC but there are enough people interested in buying and selling non watch stuff and the boss approves. I just stay away from the SC.

Master
    My only gripe with the SC is I'm always too late when the bargains are to be had. Whether it be a watch or a pair of used flip flops, always beaten to the post

Must devote more time.
    Must devote more time.

Master
    The SC is the place to look first for things you want, need or more often don't but generally know you're not going to get shafted.

I like it just how it is.

Well done Eddie.

Why are people so bothered about what gets sold on SC?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Because they are frustrated no one has advertised 'a life' yet!
    RIAC

Master
    See above:

"However, SC's becoming cluttered now and there's a good argument, I think, for 'stuff' to have its own sub-forum."

See above:

"However, SC's becoming cluttered now and there's a good argument, I think, for 'stuff' to have its own sub-forum."
    If there was a problem wouldn't the bloke who owns the forum do something?

This topic seems to come up once a week, there have been shoes, bags, phones for sale here for ages. If the forum owner didn't like it surely he would have changed it by now?

I just don't see why people are so bothered by all this.

Master
    Because some people don't want to have to sift through the dross to get at the stuff that's of interest to them.
    It's entirely logical to want to separate the watches/related items, from the other stuff they might only be occasionally interested in.
    It's no big deal for Eddie to create a new sub-section, but it is another separate section for him to maintain/monitor – so I can appreciate why he'd rather keep everything lumped together.
    Anyone could start a poll to gauge opinion, but there's no guarantee it'll be enacted upon if the preference is for SC to have two sections.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I like it the way it is, I guess Eddie does too?

If you have time to spend on the forum, you have time to scroll past "the stuff"

I mean how long does it actually take?
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

As someone guilty of OT sales (and the author of one of the knife posts from last night!) I'll say that I quite like the idea of an OT SC. I try not to fill the Sales Corner with tat, and try to balance out my sales, making sure that there's at least some watch interest there!

I love the SC, too. It is the first I visit every time here, even if I'm not planning on buying anything.

I interested on what is on sale, getting an estimation on prices, how fast and easy models I'm interested in are sold, etc.

I sometimes wonder if SC has become so important here that the quality of posting on Watch Talk has suffered accordingly.
    I understand the (presumed) commercial imperative for TZ-UK to draw traffic and justify itself commercially, but don't overlook that we the posters are the product here too.
    No one person's motivation for coming here is any more worthy than the next - but not all posters are equal. It is the knowledge, insight, intellect, wit and generosity of key past and current members which makes logging on here worthwhile - that together with a certain TZ-UK spirit - these resources require nurturing.
    SC may complement the TZ-UK experience but I now wonder if its influence has been to dilute and diminish it. We too need to justify spending our time here.
    Last edited by forpetesake; 18th July 2015 at 09:28.

Master
    The division of sales into 'Watch Sales Corner' and an 'Other Stuff Sales Corner' would make TZ-UK an even more interesting place.

Other good websites do it.

Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    I sometimes wonder if SC has become so important here that the quality of posting on Watch Talk has suffered accordingly.
    I understand the (presumed) commercial imperative for TZ-UK to draw traffic and justify itself commercially, but don't overlook that we the posters are the product here too.
    No one person's motivation for coming here is any more worthy than the next - but not all posters are equal. It is the knowledge, insight, intellect, wit and generosity of key past and current members which makes logging on here worthwhile - that together with a certain TZ-UK spirit - these resources require nurturing.
    SC may complement the TZ-UK experience but I now wonder if its influence has been to dilute and diminish it. We too need to justify spending our time here.
    I've sent that off to Private Eye for inclusion in 'Pseuds Corner'.

Quote Originally Posted by Incredible Sulk View Post
    I've sent that off to Private Eye for inclusion in 'Pseuds Corner'.

High Praise Indeed!

There is an alternative version - but I would need to descend to the Hell which is Bear Pit to post that.

Craftsman
    Quick glance, I see mainly watches & watch related but it does ebb and flow.
    Problem for me is the weak euro...

Bad night on Watch Talk.

Not much watch discussion. Lots of sales corner 'debate'.

Watch Talk is becoming cluttered and there's a good argument, I think, for sales corner debate to have its own sub-forum.

Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    High Praise Indeed!

There is an alternative version - but I would need to descend to the Hell which is Bear Pit to post that.
    I expected you to refer me to the reply in Arkell v Pressdram.......

Master
    If there was a problem wouldn't the bloke who owns the forum do something?
    "... the bloke who owns the forum"

Grand Master
    SC doesn't seem as interesting these days. It's not very tolerant of "new blood" watches, seemingly with more interest in a narrow range of preferred watches and individual items passed around from member to member like a hard-used groupie backstage at a Kiss concert. There is pressure to underprice from dealers and punters looking to save some of their surplus. Lowballing just shouts "I've got overheads you know!".

However, as a source of MX5s, 911s and guns it's unimpeachable.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

"... the bloke who owns the forum"
    Let me put it this way then.

If you are not happy with the content of TZUK you would probably be better served speaking to the person who runs and pays for the place not a bunch of strangers who have no control over it.

Master
    I love SC as it is.

Who wouldn't want to buy an old school Land Rover to transport their newly acquired top of the range bike into the wilderness and then cycling the remainder of the way through a national park / forest wearing their newly acquired g-shock to the rural archery range to try out a new compound bow.

Variety is the spice of life...

Craftsman
    I have taken advantage of buying both watch and "other" items from SC in my short time on the forum and appreciate the chance to buy in confidence so have no problem with the way it is but maybe a sub forum debate is valid.
    In the end it's up to Eddie.

Anyone who's not happy with the layout is always free to start their own forum and lay it out however best suits themselves :)

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    Anyone who's not happy with the layout is always free to start their own forum and lay it out however best suits themselves :)
    These responses are silly, to be honest. Virtually every other forum splits the sales section into on and off topic items, so it's safe to say that we can regard that as "best practice"; there's also a growing clamour amongst the membership for the forum owner to do that on here.

I suspect that if you excluded the brown-nosing that goes on with this kind of thread there'd be a pretty unanimous view that change is required. Also, don't forget that there's a symbiotic relationship between forum membership & traffic and the Time Factors business.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I suspect that if you excluded the brown-nosing that goes on with this kind of thread there'd be a pretty unanimous view that change is required.
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    No.
    Yes.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    I have taken advantage of buying both watch and "other" items from SC in my short time on the forum and appreciate the chance to buy in confidence so have no problem with the way it is but maybe a sub forum debate is valid.
    In the end it's up to Eddie.
    I agree with this. It us still a place to buy with confidence and the other items for sale add to my experience.

I have bought both watches and other stuff. One SC or sub forum / forums will not suit everyone.

We can debate all we want but it is up to Eddie.

Perfectly normal night on SC. Perhaps a bad night chez Tinker?

These responses are silly, to be honest. Virtually every other forum splits the sales section into on and off topic items, so it's safe to say that we can regard that as "best practice"; there's also a growing clamour amongst the membership for the forum owner to do that on here.

I suspect that if you excluded the brown-nosing that goes on with this kind of thread there'd be a pretty unanimous view that change is required. Also, don't forget that there's a symbiotic relationship between forum membership & traffic and the Time Factors business.

Virtually every other forum has a team of moderators too. As with every forum, no one is forced to log in and participate.

Yes I agree that having a seperate sub forum may be more convenient for some but that's all it is. A convenience, not a necessity.

Quote Originally Posted by Incredible Sulk View Post
    I expected you to refer me to the reply in Arkell v Pressdram.......
    One should not infer from my failure to adopt this defence on this occasion that I have surrendered the right to do so in future.

What utter rot. Eddie provides the facility and we the content. Of course Eddie is the only indispensable individual here. The wisest observation was made recently to the effect that low profile moderation is both TZ-UKs greatest strength and weakness.

Yes I agree that having a seperate sub forum may be more convenient for some but that's all it is. A convenience, not a necessity.
    I don't disagree with that comment. I do think it's unwise to completely ignore the views of what I believe (if all other "considerations" were removed) would be a majority, but that's another issue.

What isn't in dispute is that SC, the forum in general and the TF business model all rely on members enjoying the forum enough to participate on it regularly.

Virtually every other forum has a team of moderators too. As with every forum, no one is forced to log in and participate.

Agree with this.

Why is it so hard to just scroll through SC to find the watch/item you are looking for that you need sepperate sub forums?

So what happens then if the "watch only" Section is full of watches you don't like, a Rolex sale only forum? A "below a certain price only" Sub forum.

If you see something you like and want to come back later just add it to your followed threads list, easily found. If you want to buy a certain item just type it into the search function. I just don't see what the issue is here.

Perhas much of this has more to do with people selling watches and them getting quickly knocked off page one with other stuff reducing their chance to sell.

Perhas much of this has more to do with people selling watches and them getting quickly knocked off page one with other stuff reducing their chance to sell.
    There is some truth to that. I'm different to the majority here it seems as I don't want the forum split, I love SC as it is. What I don't like is the absolute disrespect shown with the jumble sale junk or stuff that should be at the tip. A quick click on a few members posts shows they do NOTHING on here but sell, bump endlessly and post H&V. Thanks for contributing.

This post;
    "Who wouldn't want to buy an old school Land Rover to transport their newly acquired top of the range bike into the wilderness and then cycling the remainder of the way through a national park / forest wearing their newly acquired g-shock to the rural archery range to try out a new compound bow."

Makes it all sound awesome, and those items were/are interesting, high quality gear that make SC amazing for not just watches. What I find sad is the tat, worn out junk, and eBay or boot fair rubbish shamelessly flogged on here week in week out. "It's not against the rules!", "Bully!", "Thread spoiler!". What a load of cr*p.

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    There is some truth to that. I'm different to the majority here it seems as I don't want the forum split, I love SC as it is. What I don't like is the absolute disrespect shown with the jumble sale junk or stuff that should be at the tip. A quick click on a few members posts shows they do NOTHING on here but sell, bump endlessly and post H&V. Thanks for contributing.

This post;
    "Who wouldn't want to buy an old school Land Rover to transport their newly acquired top of the range bike into the wilderness and then cycling the remainder of the way through a national park / forest wearing their newly acquired g-shock to the rural archery range to try out a new compound bow."

Makes it all sound awesome, and those items were/are interesting, high quality gear that make SC amazing for not just watches. What I find sad is the tat, worn out junk, and eBay or boot fair rubbish shamelessly flogged on here week in week out. "It's not against the rules!", "Bully!", "Thread spoiler!". What a load of cr*p.
    What that post didn't mention is - while wearing used underwearand socks, an XS t- shirt and XXXL coat.

there's also a growing clamour amongst the membership for the forum owner to do that on here.
    I think that you're mistaking TZ-UK for a democracy.

Eddie has made his views on this perfectly clear on more than one occasion. And, as I'm sure that you can remember, he has also removed SC completely when the arguments about it became too numerous!