closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rolex Datejust appreciation thread

Rolex Datejust appreciation thread

As has been commented elsewhere this evening...you can't beat an old DJ, very versatile and cool as you like, of course.

I'll start with a selection from my current crop...

Silver sunburst sigma dial 1603

Grey sunburst sigma dial 1601 (I love the dial on this one)

Slate grey matte dial/dark brown (depending on the light) 1603

Wonderful polar grey sunburst gilt sigma dial 1600

Feel free to join in if you are cool enough to own a Datejust :-)
    Last edited by 11erv; 22nd July 2015 at 23:59.

hope this one counts :)

untouched full set 17000 , battery and gaskets and pressure test and left untouched as found ,

That grey sunburst 1601 is very lovely indeed.

Master
    My iconic watch.

No photos as I'm away overseas at the moment and don't have them on me.

116231 - salmon pink with roman numerals
    16233 - diamond dot dark blue degraded dial
    16234 - dark blue dial with roman numerals

I can feel a 116234 coming on when I go through T5 on my back to Baku next month.

16000, plexi with open 6s and 9s BUT quickset date as well... perfect weekender or indeed for just about anything. I like the engine turned bezel rather than fluted white gold, a little less dressy, a little more functional. Jubilee is a pleasure to wear as well.

Must do a post of it with the Rolex 36mm siblings; definitely found the size I am comfortable with in Rolex.

I chose an Exp II as my daily wearer, because I think it's a bit more versatile than a Datejust. Should never have gotten rid of this though:

Master
    What a superb dial, JackW.

Best picture I have of my 16030, I really should wear it more

Quote Originally Posted by JackW View Post
    I chose an Exp II as my daily wearer, because I think it's a bit more versatile than a Datejust. Should never have gotten rid of this though:

Buckley dial, gorgeous!

Had a few:

This one I regret selling most:

1603 sigma dial:

Also had a few oysterdates and standard 1601's.

Now I have a great 14270:

My first Rolex was a 16233 DateJust, steel and yellow metal Jubilee, blue dial, gold Romain numerals, lovely.

The Sub, GMT and SeaDweller tend to hog watch forum threads but I love the Date (36mm), DateJust (36mm), Oyster Perpetual, Air King and Explorer models best, I wouldn't be adverse to a nice Cellini either. Unfortunately I'm not keen on the DateJust II.

Interestingly enough I have my eye on a Date at the moment.

A date is smaller then a datejust. I think it is around 34-35mm. Wears like an oysterdate..

Also not a fan of the Datejust 2, way to big..

Craftsman

Here's mine

Dave In Wales.... Really hope you don't mind me using your lovely photo!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepie View Post

A beautiful looking watch, if I can sell my Sub currently on SC then I might have one of these. Tried one on in Goldsmiths the other week, 36mm is just perfect for me. And this is my favorite dial, bracelet combination. Very classic looking.

Craftsman
    oiljam - I don't think you'll be disappointed if you get one. The size on the wrist is lovely and not noticeably small for me (6.5 inch wrists). It just wears delightfully.

It's very understated and below the radar though, so you'll not get the comments you get wearing a sub! For me it's just an absolute classic and everything is done perfectly. I like the modern versatility of the oyster bracelet too. Go for it!

Grand Master
    I had a very nice 1971 1601 and was offered and bought a same year 1603 last night.I really can't believe the condition these watches are in.

Quote Originally Posted by oiljam View Post
    A beautiful looking watch, if I can sell my Sub currently on SC then I might have one of these. Tried one on in Goldsmiths the other week, 36mm is just perfect for me. And this is my favorite dial, bracelet combination. Very classic looking.
    Echo this. Tried the plain and fluted bezel in this dial and bracelet combo but felt the plain bezel was the best look. great watch and a bargain on SC I believe. - it's not all knives and coats thank goodness :)

Craftsman
    Mines just like fast Eddie Felson's

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Buckley dial, gorgeous!
    Thanks, it's sorely missed. I think it's incredible how well some of these watches have aged.

Really miss mine. Shouldn't have sold it 😓

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepie View Post

That is a beauty!

Grand Master
    I like Datejusts, far nicer than the Subs and Seadwellers 36mm case size is the only one to consider IMO.

My first Rolex, a 2003 16234, bought in 2008. Still got it but never gets much use.....I`ve even thought of selling it:

A 116200 I owned, gone but not forgotten. Often wish I`d kept it, I even swapped the dial for a blue Roman, but still ended up selling it.

A 1986 16013 with acrylic crystal and open 6 datewheel. Allegedly only worn around 10 times by the original owner who I bought it from a few years ago. Condition supports this, it's like a new watch! I wore this to get married in recently, so it's now got history and there's no way I`d sell it.

Paul

Grand Master
    Some nice DJ's there Paul,your last one describes my two exactly.

Some beautiful DJs here. Always been one of my favorite watches. Here's a few I used to own:

Original DJ is too small for my wrist, so the DJII is perfect for me. Love the shape and bezel and even though it's modern, it's reassuring to see how little the core design hasn't changed much in all of these years:

Gotta love the DJ

Ive been waiting for a birth year (1967) blue faced DJ to come up for ever.

Some lovely ones here - feel like I might crack and just get a diff year. Still want blue tho!

Mike

Master
    I'm having a re-think. Keep the Sub for now and buy a Datejust aswell. There are some beautiful watches on this thread that don't seem to have dated despite their years. I'm even edging towards the jubilee bracelet, which I always deemed as 'too old' for me (sorry). It just seems to match the classic look of the Datejust. Now I just need to get it past the wife!!!

Quote Originally Posted by P9MES View Post
    Ive been waiting for a birth year (1967) blue faced DJ to come up for ever.

Some lovely ones here - feel like I might crack and just get a diff year. Still want blue tho!

Mike
    Grab the year you want and swap out the dial for blue, very easy job to do (for a watchmaker obviously) and won't cost the earth.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Grab the year you want and swap out the dial for blue, very easy job to do (for a watchmaker obviously) and won't cost the earth.
    That sounds like Triggers sweeping brush

Master
    My three are on jubilees. I prefer them if for no other reason than it is nigh on impossible to see any marks, even more so with the later redesigned bracelet and clasp.

I'm even edging towards the jubilee bracelet, which I always deemed as 'too old' for me (sorry). It just seems to match the classic look of the Datejust. Now I just need to get it past the wife!!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    My three are on jubilees. I prefer them if for no other reason than it is nigh on impossible to see any marks, even more so with the later redesigned bracelet and clasp.
    Agreed. If there's one thing I don't like, it's the polished centre links. Far too blingy for me to pull off.
    How do you get on with the clasp on a modern jubilee, do they have micro adjustments?

Master
    That's the potential disadvantage of the modern one but fortunately for me I get a perfect fit with both.

Agreed. If there's one thing I don't like, it's the polished centre links. Far too blingy for me to pull off.
    How do you get on with the clasp on a modern jubilee, do they have micro adjustments?

I've had a 116200 with PCLs and a 116234 with super jubilee.

I flipped the 116200 because I found the PCLs too shiny / blingy and because after just a couple of months they were covered in scratches.

The fluted, jubilee, silver stick DateJust is a classic. The super jubilee isn't easy to adjust like the oyster, but I have a good fit with it and find it really comfortable, and it looks like new after a year of wear.

Last edited by vortgern; 24th July 2015 at 13:15.

I'm having a re-think. Keep the Sub for now and buy a Datejust aswell. There are some beautiful watches on this thread that don't seem to have dated despite their years. I'm even edging towards the jubilee bracelet, which I always deemed as 'too old' for me (sorry). It just seems to match the classic look of the Datejust. Now I just need to get it past the wife!!!
    Keep the Sub and add a DateJust. I guarantee you will regret flipping a Sub, even for a DateJust. I've been there.

These are all absolute beauties. A silver or grey dial DJ is next on my list. I really like them on beat up leather straps though.

I've said it here a few times, but the 16200 ref smooth bezel datejust is my favourite Rolex model.

I do like the look of the older 4 digit references; the acrylic crystal and slight "pie-pan" dial edge giving a nice feeling of depth, but I just can't get on with the slow set date in anything other than an everyday watch. The current 6-digit reference version's lugs are just a little too fat for me as well, so the 16200 is the ideal compromise.

I have owned nearly a half-dozen Datejusts over the years, and changed the dial on some to alter the look - you do not have such versatility with any other Rolex models. My current Datejust is a modern 'homage' to my faithful (but now departed) 6694. Steel case with lug-holes, open 6 and 9 date wheel and a black and gold baton dial. Heresy to some, but a perfect custom model for me.

16220 Black/gold custom:

Getting there... black / silver baton dial and the 6694 inspiration

Silver stick dial:

Blue stick dial:

Glacier blue roman dial:

Copper roman with fluted bezel - maybe a bit busy on the jubilee

I've had a white and dial and a 16220 as well at some point, but no photos to hand.
    Last edited by carryondentist; 24th July 2015 at 16:19.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by JackW View Post

you definitely should have kept this one fella....it's the one that got away !

Here's my sigma dialled 1603 from 1973. These are gorgeous, versatile watches, oozing character. But on the Jubilee it came with, I was initially somewhat underwhelmed. It felt like an old man's watch and the worn, rounded acrylic didn't help. But with a service, a new acrylic, the Jubilee banished and with it now fitted, perhaps unconventionally, with a NATO, it feels rejuvenated and, I hesitate to use the word, every so slightly cool.

Just for a bit of fun, here is a shot on the Jubilee before I sent it away for service, sitting next to a Grand Seiko from 1968. The contrast to my eyes is quite stark. The upstart Japanese interloper trying to elbow its way into upmarket territory occupied by the rather more traditionally styled Rolex.

For me, the only real problem with the DJ is the lack of a quickset date which makes setting the date a massive chore. I think it would look good on an Oyster or possibly a leather strap, perhaps one of the Bulang straps. For the moment though, I'm sticking with the NATO.

Martin

Really love those blue dialed datejusts!

Think my ideal Datejust would like look:

-Jubilee
    -Fluted bezel
    -Blue dial
    -Red date wheel

Quote Originally Posted by MartinCRC View Post
    For me, the only real problem with the DJ is the lack of a quickset date which makes setting the date a massive chore.
    That's why mine gets worn so much (16000); quickset date but plexi and open 6s & 9s. Perfect 'vintage' watch without the hassle.

Some rather poor pics of some rather nice DJ’s:

And the effect of seawater on a DJ...

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    @MartinCRC

That looks great on that colour NATO. I used to have a black diamond dot dial 16233 on a black Hirsch Hevea rubber.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Ive been considering moving away from sports and on to something more classic and this thread isnt helping. at all.
    LOVE the sigma dials.

I have owned two now.On both occasions I went for the blue face which on any thing else bar the Omega SMP is a NO NO.

Banned
    Does anyone have a DJ with a Rhodium dial? I'd like to see some pics if you can help.

Some great DJ's. A couple more, to round off my current DJ crop...

A lovely matte silver 'eggshell' dial (1601)

One of my favourite DJ dials...the very distinctive linen dial (1601)

And, one more shot of the sensational grey sunburst sigma dial 1601

Craftsman
    probably my fav rolex...

Master
    Some great Datejusts here; in comparison to the sports models they tend to be neglected, although they are more popular with the general public.
    Can I put in a good word for the Day-Date, which is really a Datejust with weekday added. With the right dial, and the right gold finish, they can look pretty special on a presidential bracelet. I used to ignore them...because who in their right mind doesn't know what day it is? But then I tried one on in white gold, compared with a Smurf. I fell for the Day-Date.
    Pity they don't offer one in steel, with a Presidential bracelet in steel. There would be a good market I think. My favourite dial...one of the elegant grey ones with stick markers.