closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: If you were thinking of wearing your $80,000 gold watch in Naples, think again.

If you were thinking of wearing your $80,000 gold watch in Naples, think again.

http://www.ilmessaggero.it/primopian.../1472194.shtml

For members whose Italian is a bit rusty, here's how it goes. You are walking along without a care in the world when a young lady on a scooter blocks your path. Then two guys on a scooter pull up beside you and one of them grabs the watch off your wrist. They then scoot away with your 24 carat gold watch.

The victim was able to give a good enough description to enable the police to catch the girl and one of the guys though the report doesn't say whether the watch was recovered.

Naples strikes me as a very dangerous city indeed. (LOVED Gomorrah, though, and can't wait for another season!)

What kind of idiot walks round Naples wearing an $80,000 gold watch, and presumably shows it off?

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    What kind of idiot walks round Naples wearing an $80,000 gold watch, and presumably shows it off?
    If the guy was wearing a Sub the outcome would probably have been the same.

I went to the museum there - very interesting

Then went for a walk - very interesting in a different way.

A rather dangerous place if you don't have your wits about you and aren't prepared or able to defend yourself in my opinion.

I presume you are referring to the 'naughty' museum, me too.

I think a couple of punks on a scooter lifiting a gold watch off someone's wrist in Naples are not the sharpest tools in the shed, the chances are high that the owner is well connected - which would not end well for the would-be thieves or their loved ones.

I agree with you all. I've been in every major Italian city and in Naples is where I felt the most discomfort generally speaking.
    Sad to say it but it is what it is but I think that every major modern city is where the microcriminality resides.
    To be true I kind of felt the same discomfort going around in Washington D.C. suburbs or downtown Miami.

Been to Naples twice now and never felt threatened - even when walking through the back streets away from the city centre.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Agree not threatened, just felt discomfort walking through the city and/or on the road.
    But again it was my perception that could have been totally wrong.
    In Rome too I felt that way, not confortable.

Grand Master
    Been to Naples,was happy to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Naples strikes me as a very dangerous city indeed. (LOVED Gomorrah, though, and can't wait for another season!)
    Agreed, best thing on telly in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    The Australian kind, I'm afraid.

A 24k gold watch is pretty rare in itself :-)

Master
    Great pizza but no one way on earth I would wear anything expensive there. My Italian mate was telling me how even stuff like car insurance in Naples is higher than other cities.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    Been to Naples twice now and never felt threatened - even when walking through the back streets away from the city centre.
    I agree. I am very familiar with Italy, and I can honestly say, that I have never felt threatened in Naples or anywhere else in Italy either.

One poster also mentioned Washington. Again, a lovely city. Stayed there for some time. Never felt that I had to be careful, although even in the nicest places, you should always be reasonably vigilant.

Maybe it's because I'm over 6 foot and built in a way that gives the appearance of a "challenge" to any would be attacker? Don't know.

Downtown LA is a different matter though...

Most cities have a mixture of low and high crime areas. Tourist districts tend to be well policed but you don't have to stray far to find yourself in less salubrious neighbourhoods. If you don't have a bit of local knowledge of it is safest to err on the side of caution, however if you are well informed and sensible (such as wearing a watch hidden by a cuff and not showing ostentatious wealth), then the risks are greatly reduced. I will happily wear an easily replaced and insured mid-range watch in most cities I visit, some with a considerable reputation for street crime.

Some brands seem to be a magnet for theft, particularly if easily identified from a distance. Anecdotal evidence indicates that the banditos are well attuned to the appearance of some Rolex models.

I'm sure this is obvious to most, but clearly not everybody!

I'm not surprised.

The last time I was in Naples I witnessed someone having an item stolen by the scooter thieves, and I was only a few yards away at the time. It goes on there all the time. They even wait for the cruise ships to come in then target certain individuals whilst they walk up the hill to the town centre.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Most cities have a mixture of low and high crime areas. Tourist districts tend to be well policed but you don't have to stray far to find yourself in less salubrious neighbourhoods. If you don't have a bit of local knowledge of it is safest to err on the side of caution, however if you are well informed and sensible (such as wearing a watch hidden by a cuff and not showing ostentatious wealth), then the risks are greatly reduced. I will happily wear an easily replaced and insured mid-range watch in most cities I visit, some with a considerable reputation for street crime.

Some brands seem to be a magnet for theft, particularly if easily identified from a distance. Anecdotal evidence indicates that the banditos are well attuned to the appearance of some Rolex models.

I'm sure this is obvious to most, but clearly not everybody!
    All good points but the clarity needed is to do with the precise mix of good and bad in individual cities, and in which cities you may need to change your behaviours in order to avoid a mugging - or worse.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    [OT]Gomorra, without the final "H" is the name of the show in Italian, it's based on a book from Roberto Saviano (also called "Gomorra")[/OT].

Back on topic, as an Italian I can say that Naples is unfortunately on of the worst places in the country security-wise. I see that other people are mentioning Downtown Miami: I've been there many times and all I can say is that I felt much more secure there than in Naples.

I was in Naples last year with my heavily pregnant wife and felt completely safe, having taken the usual precautions as you would in any big city. I am sure visibly wealthy tourists disembarking from a cruise ship might be more of a target but that is true of anywhere in the world. That doesn't detract from the organised crime that I am sure exists there but it was not apparent.

Always funny to read people being scared in Naples..

Think it is one of the more safer cities for tourists in Italy. Walking with an 80k watch and showing it off is stupid everywhere.

The risk is mainly that in Naples you are prepared and therefore look after your stuff more close. Both Rome and Firenze are full of gibsys trying to rob you. So many dirty tricks they have.

They know these tricks don't work in Napoli since everyone is scared of getting robbed..

Quote Originally Posted by andrew View Post
    All good points but the clarity needed is to do with the precise mix of good and bad in individual cities, and in which cities you may need to change your behaviours in order to avoid a mugging - or worse.
    Indeed - hence the need to be well informed. Ideally through someone who lives in the place that you are visiting.

I've been to Naples a couple of times as a tourist.

Somebody tried to steal my case out of my hand in the station. Once I'd checked in at my hotel & didn't look touristy, it was fine.

Marino in Dublin (a wrong turn & a mistake asking a corner-boy for directions) was much scarier.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    I was in Naples last year with my heavily pregnant wife and felt completely safe, having taken the usual precautions as you would in any big city. I am sure visibly wealthy tourists disembarking from a cruise ship might be more of a target but that is true of anywhere in the world.
    Again, quite true, but this doesn't take away from the fact that the risk in Naples of crime experienced by locals, tourists and cruise ship punters is much higher than it is in other cities. Full preparedness and a change to your routine or appearance is essential for minimising the risks of being ripped off.

Sure, technically the risk of stepping off a cruise liner in Stockholm covered in expensive jewellery is probably slightly higher than it is for another tourist, but both risks are so low that the difference is not worth commenting on.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Rule No1 (the first rule of watch bearing)

If you've got serious wonga on your wrist, then unless you are familiar with your surroundings, keep it under wraps.
    To do otherwise is incredibly stupid.

Blog Entries
    Honestly what do you expect.

I found Naples, as many have already said, absolutely fine and didn't find it threatening at all. But I did keep the decent wrist wear at home and Mrs P kept her nice bags in covers at home.

We really loved the city with all its rawness, smells and noise.