closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 10 Anyone got it yet?

I'd imagine all modern (as opposed to some antiques people insist on keeping plugged in) will work but not fully featured. For all the more esoteric features, like printing on CDs or whatever, then you'd need to dig out the driver disc that came with it. Or download a new version from the manufacturer's site.

The more I use it the more issues I find........

Power options like Turn Off Screen and Sleep simply don't work on my Lenovo C440. I also appear to have lost the Touch Screen capability!!!!!!!! This in spite of MS configurater saying that my system is fully compatible.

I certainly won't be upgrading from 8.1 on either of my Laptops any time soon as they're much older, (though still well inside MS' requirements - one has an i7 processor). It looks like MS have got a lot of work to do, this is the worst upgrade I've had with Windows and I've been using it since windows 3.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Wouldn't it be amusing if it turned into a big flop like W8. There would be so many heads rolling at Microsoft you'd think ISIS had taken over.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    Wouldn't it be amusing if it turned into a big flop like W8. There would be so many heads rolling at Microsoft you'd think ISIS had taken over.
    It would be the end of Windows.

However, the Insider Program has been very detailed. Windows 10 has been really well tested. There really should not be too many surprises.

(But that word "should" covers a lot of uncertainty. ;-) ).

One thing that perhaps has come as a bit of a surprise is that the clean install ability (that was much applauded by many people) can only be done after upgrading and activating. This makes sense but it means that those W7/8/8.1 users who wish to start afresh with Windows 10 in effect need to do two installations. It's no big deal; just something to be aware of.

Working beautifully for me, seamless and quick upgrade and everything looking good. Much improved UI, I like that my Start Menu us back, and improved.

No complaints thus far! All peripherals, software and games are working as intended.

Happy camper here.

Master
    Put win 10 on my Surface Pro 3 today and it really was an easy upgrade. I was on the insider program and had a few wobbly builds but this public release seems to be very stable and quick.

Have had no problems with automatic driver updates and all my apps are working fine (so far lol).

Cortana set up complained that my microphone level was too low, but Cortana has worked very well anyway - seems to be every bit as good as Siri or Google voice in my opinion.

I do really like the finished hybrid interface that combines start menu with touch screen and the auto tablet mode works well on the SP3 when you detach the keyboard.

Upgraded from Win 7 last night - no problems all peripherals working. It looks like it could be a successful release (ironed out the complaints/issues from 8.x)
    Early days yet, but navigation has not been a problem for a Win7 user.

Craftsman
    Anyone had any problems with their home network after the upgrade?

We have three computers in the home all Windows 7, one connected to the tv storing all files. I want to upgrade one at at a time just in case I can't share files across different operating systems.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alan2273 View Post
    Folks, be very careful here. Ms has a very specific order on how the upgrade will happen for those of your not part of the insider program:
    1. MS will download the upgrade folder onto your Win7/8.1 computer.
    2. MS will give you a screen shot that it will notify you when MS is ready to upgrade your computer.
    3. MS will notify you that the upgrade is ready to install.
    4. You can then upgrade your computer.
    DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FORCE ANY OF THESE STEPS! The reason? You may not get an activated copy of Windows 10 nor a valid Windows 10 license. Those HAVE to come from MS and there is no way to force MS to give them to you. The worst case is that you have to start all over again by doing a complete reinstall of your Win7/8.1 OS and then having to wait for MS to once again do the steps above.
    PATIENCE. MS has hundreds of millions of computers to upgrade. Yours may be not slated to be upgraded until a day, a week, or several weeks from now. MS simply cannot do them all at once. MS is in control here, not you.
    This is the main reason (imho) Windows 10 is a free upgrade, apart from them wanting to 'store' your wi-Fi access passwords, I hear that they are already asking $10 A YEAR for the solitaire game to be ad-free and plenty more of this 'pay if you want to avoid advert crap' will surely follow!

Windows 10? For me, they can stick it up their corporate data-harvesting *rses!
    Last edited by KavKav; 31st July 2015 at 09:29.

Craftsman
    I put this on one of the work laptops when the evaluation version was out a few months ago. Better than Windows 8 but I'd still far rather use 7...

Master
    we keep ignoring the windows button for the upgrade. the PCs are also for work and 7 is doing everything just fine (well as fine as MS can, it's all relative!)

tablet and phone are android so i don't really need to bother at this stage; wife is an IT fukkwit so will just leave her laptop on 7 too.

i usually leave it at least 6 months, but if the urrent set up is working then i leave well alone.

talking computers, pah!

I've had my first email reminding me to install the download. How long before Bill Gates knocks on my front door?!

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    I've had my first email reminding me to install the download. How long before Bill Gates knocks on my front door?!
    A long time given he effectively retired from Microsoft in 2008.

That's a shame. I was looking forward to seeing him.

Craftsman
    had it and went back...some issues for you to consider

Microsoft’s Windows 10 has permission to watch your every move

QUOTE (Windows 10 EULA)
    “Microsoft collects information about you, your devices, applications and networks, and your use of those devices, applications and networks. Examples of data we collect include your name, email address, preferences and interests; browsing, search and file history; phone call and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; and application usage.”

QUOTE (Windows 10 EULA)
    “We may collect information about your device and applications and use it for purposes such as determining or improving compatibility” and “use voice input features like speech-to-text, we may collect voice information and use it for purposes such as improving speech processing.”

QUOTE (Windows 10 EULA)
    “If you open a file, we may collect information about the file, the application used to open the file, and how long it takes any use [of]it for purposes such as improving performance, or [if you]enter text, we may collect typed characters, we may collect typed characters and use them for purposes such as improving autocomplete and spell check features.”

https://edri.org/microsofts-new-smal...l-data-abused/

More problematic from a data protection perspective is however the fact that Windows generates a unique advertising ID for each user on a device. This advertising ID can be used by third parties, such as app developers and advertising networks for profiling purposes.

-----------------------------------

http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2015/07/29/wind-nos/

"We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to protect our customers or enforce the terms governing the use of the services."

-----------------------------------

http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2015...eople-updates/

Windows 10 uses your internet connection to share updates with others across the internet.

Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes
    Last edited by subzeer0; 31st July 2015 at 11:38.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    I'd imagine all modern (as opposed to some antiques people insist on keeping plugged in) will work but not fully featured. For all the more esoteric features, like printing on CDs or whatever, then you'd need to dig out the driver disc that came with it. Or download a new version from the manufacturer's site.
    Intel (R) Media graphics Media accelerator on a 1 year old Lenovo tablet/Laptop - No windows 10 driver available - Harldy esoteric.

We shall see !! but my suspicion is that the core compatibility pool will be remarkably small - given the 300m that will try the update.

From an update guide

2. Affected hardware components and settings after upgrading

After upgrading to Windows 10, some software or hardware functions of your computer might be unavailable. In addition, some software issues might occur. Installing the latest Windows updates, device drivers, and application updates MAY fix these issues.
    Some peripherals may not be compatible with Windows 10.
    Upgrading to Windows 10 may affect the following components and functions:

• Audio
    • Biometrics
    • Bluetooth
    • Integrated camera
    • Display adapter (GPUs)
    • Ethernet
    • GPS
    • Mobile Broadband (MBB)
    • Mobile Phones\Tablets
    • NFC
    • Printer
    • Scanner
    • Sensors
    • Storage
    • Touch
    • Touch pad
    • Pen
    • USB Devices (Keyboard, Mouse, memory stick, external hard disk, webcam, headphones, printer, scanner etc)
    • Wireless LAN
    • Ambient Light Sensor (ALS)
    • Brightness
    • Hotkey
    • Intel DPTF
    • Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST)
    • RapidDrive
    • Radio
    • Peripheral compatibility
    • Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)
    • User Interface

3. Application limitations

Applications that should be uninstalled before upgrading

Due to software compatibility issues, the following applications won't be functional after upgrading to Windows 10.

• Pre-installed applications:
      McAfee Internet Security, McAfee AntiVirus Plus, Dragon Assistant, Energy Management, Energy Manager, Express Cache, Idealife, Intelligent Touchpad, Intelligent Touchpad 2.0, InstantReset, BootShield, Lenovo MagicShare, Lenovo Solution Center (before 1.1.008), Lenovo Transition, User Guide, YouCam, Lenovo Smart Update, Dolby Home Theater, USB Blocker, Superfish, Lenovo Motion Control, Lenovo Motion Control 2.0, Lenovo Motion Control 2.5, Lenovo Motion Control 2.6, Lenovo Voice Assistant (iFLYTEK), Lenovo Smart Voice, Veriface Pro, OneKey Recovery, Office 2010 Starter, Phone Companion, Phone Companion 2.0, User Guide Common Tool, RapidDrive, Smart Shutdown, and so on.Note: To avoid compatibility issues, McAfee Internet Security will be uninstalled during upgrade. You need to manually download and install it afterwards. If you have any issues regarding activation, contact the software dealer.

B
    Last edited by Brian; 31st July 2015 at 13:00.

If you remember XP, it came with few peripheral drivers. Win 7 came with a lot, most of those needed for most machines. You were supplied with a driver disc with each laptop or you could download from the manufacturer's website. Why do you expect Win10 to carry every driver for every piece of hardware you have. The Intel graphics will doubtless work, in the way that Domestos kills 99.9% of all bacteria. They're covering themselves.

You don't actually have to install now. You can wait until named drivers are available.

And don't bother with McAffee anyway. If it doesn't work and you install Kapersky or Bullguard or anything else except Norton then MS have done you a favour.

Master
    Yes you are right - that's the way to go.

But Microsoft aren't really selling it that way !

It's a good job some of us have spare machines to test on.

B

Can anyone explain how Linux manages to cope without all these drivers?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Yes. Linux manages this in the same way that a Tribant manages without all the additional complexity that an Audi has.....

And before you ask, YES I am very familiar with Linux and most variants of Unix, with or without GUI.

Linux is excellent at limited operating scenarios,but is very user unfriendly.

Basically you go around and around on forums asking for help with your sound driver problem and you either get advice that is a) impossible to follow for a normal person or you get a) and B) insults that you cannot complete a.

Blog Entries
    Notwithstanding the two comments above, Linux does need drivers for everything, just like Windows. Also just like Windows, particular Linux distributions may or may not have particular drivers supplied with them.

If Linux doesn't have a driver for a particular device then, just like Windows, the device won't work.

Not taking the risk yet, I had a spanking new machine with win 7 and got lured in with the free windows 8 update and none of my drivers worked. A bit hesitant in upgrading even I though got the free win 10 upgrade. I've got everything working well using classic shell after loading all win 8 drivers.

Wonder how long I have before the upgrade expires...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by timestuff View Post
    Not taking the risk yet, I had a spanking new machine with win 7 and got lured in with the free windows 8 update and none of my drivers worked. A bit hesitant in upgrading even I though got the free win 10 upgrade. I've got everything working well using classic shell after loading all win 8 drivers.

Wonder how long I have before the upgrade expires...
    free upgrades end same date next year. Ie. You have 12 months from launch

Master
    I have installed on laptop and desktop using the clean method (upgrade, then flatten and re-install from usb stick). Everything is running smoothly now which wasn't the case at the upgrade stage. In short, I recommend a clean install if you have any issues with the upgrade.

Master
    This is all a bit of a tease for those of us wondering when a little pop-up will invite us to the global update party...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    This is all a bit of a tease for those of us wondering when a little pop-up will invite us to the global update party...
    If you're tired of waiting then you can get the Media Creation Tool here, http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...d=ms_wol_win10, and kick it off yourself.

Downloaded ot yesterday on my old Lenovo T420 and now i have no sound windows tells me theres nothing wrong but no sound from speakers if i cant get it working ill be rolling back to windows 8.1.

I have a dual boot Lubuntu / Windows 7 laptop. Do you think the upgrade to 10 will be okay in that environment?

Craftsman
    I've got Windows 7 and the Windows 10 icon has appeared on the desktop - dunno if I want to really - in that is there really any point. It's all working ok and I find W7 decent enough. I use my computer for gaming (not really modern stuff, mostly older titles and indies) some word processing and browsing. Is W10 worth changing to?

Master
    Easy upgrade, took about 45 mins. But I had to readjust my screen res and I still can't get the font looking as it should. It's all fuzzy. Tried cleartype to no effect.
    Any suggestions? Its usable but a pain

Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    Easy upgrade, took about 45 mins. But I had to readjust my screen res and I still can't get the font looking as it should. It's all fuzzy. Tried cleartype to no effect.
    Any suggestions? Its usable but a pain
    Some are getting this when scaling up the text size.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...php?t=18684425

Some uncertainty around whether after upgrading, the licence is transferable if you upgrade your motherboard.

Probably OK in the 1st year as you can go Win7/8>>>>Win10. But after that new licence required?

Maybe OK for laptops, but not if you upgrade hardware regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    A long time given he effectively retired from Microsoft in 2008.
    That's a shame. I was looking forward to seeing him.

Having started this thread I'm now inclined not to upgrade until I have to. In the meantime I'll use Windows as little as possible and hope that a viable alternative arrives before I do.

Craftsman
    Done 4 upgrades now on different devices:
    a cheap £80 tablet, a Surface Pro 3, a Dell Inspiron 7000 series laptop, and a diy i7 desktop rig.

All have upgraded with very few issues with only the Dell laptop's integrated webcam giving me grief.

So far all installed apps have worked including some esoteric ones.

I did all in-place upgrades to ensure activation and will probably do a few clean installs in the near future.

I'm happy with Win 10 and think it's a worthwhile upgrade but then I'm quite used to it being a Windows Insider and using the preview builds since Christmas.

Jake

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Done 4 upgrades now on different devices:
    a cheap £80 tablet, a Surface Pro 3, a Dell Inspiron 7000 series laptop, and a diy i7 desktop rig.

All have upgraded with very few issues with only the Dell laptop's integrated webcam giving me grief.
    Did you wait for the automatic download or did you use the Media Creation Tool to manually do it?

Banned
    I got it last night, no problems so far.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Did you wait for the automatic download or did you use the Media Creation Tool to manually do it?
    The cheapo tablet was a continuation of a preview build installed from an ISO, the surface pro was via auto download, the Dell and desktop using media kit manually.

Jake

Banned
    Blog Entries
    as a tip here, once you have 'upgraded' it is best to do a complete fresh install using the media creation tool from Microsoft,

first find out what edition you are using, windows 10 pro etc.

then download this tool, which will display your personal product key given to you on upgrade from Microsoft, re-install from scratch using key provided, and you have a legit windows 10 install from boot.

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Thomas Reid
    In general, the drivers are part of the kernel. These days the drivers are usually kernel modules that are loaded when needed. So, generally, if some hardware is going to work with linux, it is because the driver is already part of the kernel. Occasionally one will find a vendor directly offering a driver, but it is unusual. Consequently, one doesn't have to go looking for drivers.

I've been using linux as my desktop (and server) OS since 1993, and have never had a Windows or MSDOS machine. (I used ZCPR before 1993.) The number of hardware devices that I've wanted to use and aren't supported by linux has become very small. Of course, this, in part, may be because I generally look to see if the hardware device is supported before I buy. ;) One area where there is a lack of linux support is with digital pens.

I even run a number of windows programs on my linux machine (using wine). At the moment, Garmin's Mapsource (GPS), TrimbleStudio (GPS Timing Receiver), eTimer (escapement analyser), Adobe Digital Editions (epub), and MyScript Studio Notes (OCR/ICR). These can be trickier to get going.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    The cheapo tablet was a continuation of a preview build installed from an ISO, the surface pro was via auto download, the Dell and desktop using media kit manually.
    Thanks. Did you find the Media Tool downloads slow?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    as a tip here, once you have 'upgraded' it is best to do a complete fresh install using the media creation tool from Microsoft,

first find out what edition you are using, windows 10 pro etc.

then download this tool, which will display your personal product key given to you on upgrade from Microsoft, re-install from scratch using key provided, and you have a legit windows 10 install from boot.
    This is very good advice about getting hold of the new W10 product key. I reckon it cold be useful in future.

However, according to Microsoft, it should be possible to use an ISO or USB (downloaded using the Media Creation Tool) to do a clean W10 reinstall (with activation) without needing the product key, as long as you have previously done an upgrade from W7/8.x to W10 on the machine. I am a little dubious about this but hey, that's what they say. I'll be testing the claim soon.

Here's where they say it: 'Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool' in the 'How to perform a clean installation of Windows' section:
    Note

If you upgraded to Windows 10 on this PC by taking advantage of the free upgrade offer and successfully activated Windows 10 on this PC in the past, you won't have a Windows 10 product key, and you can skip the product key page by selecting the Skip button. Your PC will activate online automatically so long as the same edition of Windows 10 was successfully activated on this PC by using the free Windows 10 upgrade offer.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    This is very good advice about getting hold of the new W10 product key. I reckon it cold be useful in future.

However, according to Microsoft, it should be possible to use an ISO or USB (downloaded using the Media Creation Tool) to do a clean W10 reinstall (with activation) without needing the product key, as long as you have previously done an upgrade from W7/8.x to W10 on the machine. I am a little dubious about this but hey, that's what they say. I'll be testing the claim soon.

Here's where they say it: 'Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool' in the 'How to perform a clean installation of Windows' section:
    yes irf you make the media creation tool from within your current install of windows 10, it will not ask you for your key, I am always sceptical about what is essentially a 'restore disc' so use the vanilla media with product key.

I have done 4 now on fresh installs and all have asked me for a product key,

Master
    I would recommend (and am going to myself) a full disk image backup of your OS disk before the upgrade. Macrium Reflect Free will do the trick.

Currently W10 seems to be telling the world about you. Here's how to stop it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/conspiracy/...in_windows_10/

I have upgraded two desktops and two laptops.

Issues:

* Had to manually find a driver for the Nvidia gfx card in one of the desktops
    * Kaspersky AV didn't work, as Kaspersky didn't have a Windows 10 compatible version ready for launch date...

Looking at the privacy stuff, an awful lot of it is mainly applicable to phone and tablet installations, and doesn't look any different to the access/privacy requirements of just about any other mobile app. Or am I missing something?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Installed last night... first impressions (now that I've turned off wifi sharing and sorted some of the privacy issues) is that it's actually really good.

Discovered that I couldn't send emails from Outlook 2013, but a quick Google found that running sfc /scannow as administrator sorts it and now it's all working perfectly.
    Running fine on a 3 year old i7 based laptop with SSD - even the fingerprint scanner still works to unlock it.

Well done Microsoft.

I have a laptop that I use purely as a test-bed; it's now bricked! The Windows 10 tool stated it was compatible with the laptop. I haven't got the will to start the rebuild yet.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I got it this evening, so far so good. Will have a work through tomorrow.