closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Prime v Netflix - which?

Prime v Netflix - which?

Bored stiff of run of the mill TV lately and don't subscribe to anything since dumping sky

Prime sounds good but not sure if content and Netflix has been around longer but again unsure

I don't use Amazon for much as find the bay cheaper and my TV has the app for both built in

They are both avail on trial - sure - but don't want to be bombarded with crap via email etc later

I like s good film, man TV type stuff - could get into s series if it's action, war etc

Input appreciated

Also can other people use it in the house like you can sky go?
    I used to sell my sky go access to friends for £10 a month to allow them to watch the sport which worked for all

Unless you like watching TV box sets, they are both pretty crap.

Master
    I haven't tried prime but think netflix is well worth the money and you can cancel at anytime so worth trying it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    Unless you like watching TV box sets, they are both pretty crap.
    Very true IMO

Netflix over prime. Better boxset selection .

I've had prime since September last year.

Think I've watched 3 films max. However, I do like the Amazon delivery and now the new music service so for £79 per annum I'm going to keep it

I've got both. They don't really overlap too much and there's usually something to watch if you want to browse, but I'd find it difficult to choose one over the other.
    Over the year they'll both work out around the same price, but Prime obviously has more to offer if you take into account the additional free delivery, free books and free music.
    Last edited by bonzo697; 30th July 2015 at 17:46.

I've had, and cancelled, Netflix as a mechanism to get through Breaking Bad. At no point have I felt that the subsequent amount of emails I receive from them to be intrusive - just get on with it and do a 30 day trial. Can't speak for Amazon.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    Bored stiff of run of the mill TV lately and don't subscribe to anything since dumping sky

Prime sounds good but not sure if content and Netflix has been around longer but again unsure

I don't use Amazon for much as find the bay cheaper and my TV has the app for both built in

They are both avail on trial - sure - but don't want to be bombarded with crap via email etc later

I like s good film, man TV type stuff - could get into s series if it's action, war etc

Input appreciated

Also can other people use it in the house like you can sky go?
    I used to sell my sky go access to friends for £10 a month to allow them to watch the sport which worked for all

We've got both and I would say that Netflix gets far more use, although we do swap between the Netflix regions which gives us access to more content.
    If you can only go for one, and you won't make use of the One day delivery from prime then I'd go for netflix.

In terms of how many devices you access / use it on, I believe you can only stream on two devices at the same time on the basic package however you
    can have multiple devices registered..for instance when I couldn't get on one day I had to get my missus to text her sister to get off my account (and her
    sister was watching from France!)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_B View Post
    We've got both and I would say that Netflix gets far more use, although we do swap between the Netflix regions which gives us access to more content.
    You can switch between regions? how do you do that then? Is there a setting in netflix or do you have to do somthing clever?

Master
    Personally I can't stand TV and wouldn't pay for either, they'll both be full of crap. Feeview would be enough for me but the wife likes her Sky so I buy the minimum package.

Just heard the new Top Gear with Clarkson & Co will be on Amazon if that sways anyone.

Master
    I'm more than happy with Prime, although for me the TV services were not the main reason for joining.

However, now that Amazon are producing Prime TV exclusives - including Clarkson/Hammond/May new show for 2016 - Netflix is dead to me :-)

PS - I will never line the pockets of Sky again as it became too expensive once I'd retired

I used to sell my sky go access to friends for £10 a month
    Remind me to not send you a Christmas card next year Ebenezer !!

Netflix is worth it for Daredevil alone...superb series....

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    Remind me to not send you a Christmas card next year Ebenezer !!
    Lol - Christmas????? Enlighten me......

Craftsman
    I've never used either before but am doing the 1 month trial on Prime and so far am pretty impressed. Also now have the music option and although I use Tidal for most hifi stuff it is useful for an extra source.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Netflix, Clarkson or not. I was sceptical when we first got it but using it has has persuaded me.

Craftsman
    After 6 months of Netflix I am pretty disappointed with the film choices. Not much left I want to view. Agree great for box sets but that is not really my thing.

Having used (now cancelled) Amazon Prime for streaming content with my kids in mind, I found the library somewhat lacking and for my wife and I. However, useful when ordering smaller items from Amazon with free and speedy delivery and all that, but to be honest I use eBay for that paraphernalia now. Since cancelling I see music streaming is now an option, be interesting to see how good that is, that might get be back as a user. Despite 'old' Top Gear team moving to Amazon, I doubt very much I will start again my subscription. Clarkson has secured a $250m deal with Amazon, so I suspect the Amazon fee will go up shortly.

Complimenting the full Sky package we use Netflix an awful lot, well the kids do mostly.

However since switching to Netflix US - there is no comparison. The wealth of content available by tricking your router to think you are in the US, is insane!

If I get away with not paying the BBC Licence fee tax charge, I'd be tempted to use the monies instead on Amazon Prime :)

BB

Craftsman
    UK Netflix is dissapointing, but you can just update your DNS settings and connect to the U.S. Netflix, which has a much better selection!

Quote Originally Posted by mutanthands View Post
    UK Netflix is dissapointing, but you can just update your DNS settings and connect to the U.S. Netflix, which has a much better selection!
    For the less mortals
    How would I do this?

Step by step

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    For the less mortals
    How would I do this?

Step by step
    There are various options depending on how you watch. If its on a laptop/PC, then there are browser add-ones that let you change region.

I watch Netflix on my TV, to change region you have to change the DNS address in the internet settings. You can scour the Internet for free addresses, but I've found they don't last too long and it's a pain switching between regions. My solution was SmartDNS from https://www.overplay.net/

I think it's around £3 a month, you change your DNS once (with easy step-by-step instructions) then control the region with a smartphone app or on the website. It's instant and hassle-free.

To get an idea of how much more is available worldwide, this website lets you search:
    https://flixsearch.io/

Netflix has House of Cards, with Kevin Spacey, that is worth the money alone. Plus Arrested Development and a ton of other stuff.

well worth the small subscription cost IMO.

Prime is getting the new version, whatever it's going to be called, of Clarkson's Top Gear. Pretty much a game changer for Amazon, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    Prime is getting the new version, whatever it's going to be called, of Clarkson's Top Gear. Pretty much a game changer for Amazon, I think.
    Errr - 1 programme? Which will be widely, and freely, available to watch elsewhere (if you're not picky about the source)?

I won't be paying £80 a year just to watch Clarkson, tbh.

I did quite enjoy the Bosch detective series.

M

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Netflix has House of Cards, with Kevin Spacey, that is worth the money alone. well worth the small subscription cost IMO.
    I'll heartily second that !!

I run both side by side. Amazon for the grown ups (mostly), and Netflix for the kids (mostly). There is very little overlap.

Amazon has movie rentals, which Netflix doesn't, and the Prime 1 day delivery is an amazing service. Netflix has an appallingly bad interface, but enough good programs to make it worthwhile.

Craftsman
    We have both and would use Netflix more. We order quite a lot from Amazon, so prime is worth it just for the next/same day delivery.

Master
    Was going to drop Prime but the new music service is excellent so will be staying with it. The odd thing is good on the TV side and the postage is good but the music is very good indeed.
    only thing I run it with is Now TV when GOT came on and The Wire etc. when they finish I'll drop the contract till something else starts I want to see.

Master
    Netflix plus something like Getflix or a free alternative so you can change region... for £6 a month not much to complain about.

Can still take fifteen minutes to find something worth watching though the menus (unless on a compter) are pretty awful. Best to find what you want on a computer and add to your watch list.

Chaps, is it me or some movies including Spooks and Ex Machina are not available on Amazon Prime? I've just started their30 days free trial and the only option I see is to buy?

Try Popcorn Time, we enjoy it.

Note there are two versions currently, both good btw.

The content on Prime Music is very impressive. There are around 400 pages of albums to choose from as well as preselected playlists.
    Last edited by bonzo697; 3rd August 2015 at 14:57.

Journeyman
    I don't think 400 albums is impressive, unless I'm reading your post wrong. For comparison, Spotify has 30 million songs and 1.5 billion playlists.

I'm sure that's true, but relative to the context of the thread Prime has 400 pages of albums and Netflix has none. I'm also impressed by the quality of the content.
    Last edited by bonzo697; 3rd August 2015 at 14:55.

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    I'm sure that's true, but relative to the context of the thread Prime has 400 albums and Netflix has none. I'm also impressed by the quality of the content.
    400? It says: "1-24 of 66,560 results for Prime Music: Albums"

Sadly almost everything I want to watch or listen to on Amazon comes at extra cost.. For that reason I think I'll be out 28 days later.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    400? It says: "1-24 of 66,560 results for Prime Music: Albums"
    My mistake, should have been 400 pages of albums. (I think there's around 1,000,000 tracks). Probably won't trouble Spotify, but makes it more of a significant benefit in comparison with Netflix.
    Last edited by bonzo697; 3rd August 2015 at 15:01.

I still haven't find either

I'm not inspired at all by the feedback tbh

I like Netflix a lot more than I expected to as in the past I've never really taken to US TV. However, so far I have enjoyed immensely House of Cards, Sense8, Bloodline, Lilyhammer, Trailer Park Boys and some decent older films (Ferris Bueller's Day Off last night). My kids also love it. For the small monthly fee I think it's great.

Journeyman
    I've had 2 free months with Amazon streaming, but never had the urge to extend them. I've probably had a Netflix sub for a couple of years now, can't imagine I'll stop it any time soon. I would strongly advise the region unlocking though, quadruples the content.

Master
    Did the 1 month trial of Prime to watch specific show but then found it wasn't included so we never really used it. Partly because it's only the bedroom TV that is smart.

On the lounge TV we have a YouView box with netflix which gets used quite a lot by both ourselves for box sets and the kids. The good thing is that you can set up a kids account and it only shows appropriate content which they can browse themselves. In terms of the content on netflix, the UK stuff is poor when compared to the US content. The main issue is that the organisation and interface is absolutely awful. It could be improved massively by allowing users to view by genre, programme type i.e. film, documentary series etc. The categorisation seems to be made up on the fly.

For movies we also have a Now TV subscription which is great for kids stuff as well as classic films for us grown ups. I also have a Chromecast plug in for the TV so i can stream stuff from my phone.

I was an early adopter of Sky+ and was with them for years. I think i was paying about £80pm without sports as I'm not a mainstream sport fan. We moved house about 5 years ago at which point I cancelled the subscription rather than moving it. Current combined TV, phone, internet costs are far less than £80pm and the content is way better. Sky are just being left behind if you ask me. I also got hassled a lot more by Sky when i cancelled than I did by Amazon.

I have Now TV which i cast through Google its OK for game of Thrones, True Detective etc

Banned
    Blog Entries
    4K streaming on Netflix is awesome quality.... but there isn't enough content to justify the additional cost on top of the regular price IMHO, even though it's only a couple of quid.

Good tips on here about US Netflix content. I use Tunnelbear VPN for watching iplayer at our place in France and never thought of connecting it to US for bigger Netflix content. Just tested this out and yep, US Netflix is way better.

Master
    If you have an .ac.uk email address you can get 50% off prime