closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: which textured exterior masonry paint

which textured exterior masonry paint

looking for advice chaps, whats the one to go for, or are they all much of a muchness ?

sandtex / leyland / weathershield / weathershield trade etc etc
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

come on micky where are you?

Craftsman
    I have always gone for Dulux Weathershield (white) on masonry of my Victorian house, it does the job, lasts around 3 years, can be washed etc.

Blog Entries
    Why you want textured Charlie? It's a massive pain to use especially if you're doing a full outside with the stuff. I really try my best to avoid jobs where the customer insists on textured masonry paint

Quote Originally Posted by mickylall View Post
    Why you want textured Charlie? It's a massive pain to use especially if you're doing a full outside with the stuff. I really try my best to avoid jobs where the customer insists on textured masonry paint
    is it that the application is more of a hassle with textured? i wanted textured because the exterior as it is is looking a bit, shall we say 'characterful' i.e. rural , or patchy as fark, and i thought the textured might help cover it up a bit

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    is it that the application is more of a hassle with textured? i wanted textured because the exterior as it is is looking a bit, shall we say 'characterful' i.e. rural , or patchy as fark, and i thought the textured might help cover it up a bit
    Spot on
    My cousin is trade and he uses it for the same reason you mention
    Plus it drags the job out half a day as takes longer
    Santex

Blog Entries
    Yup application is a pain,depending on the surface you end up dabbing it on rather than brushing and this ends up with some areas getting a heavier coat / texture than others. but if your outside is like you say 'patchy' then textured can be a good option.
    I've always had good results with Sandtex for the textured stuff but it's not the cheapest. As always it comes down to how good the prep is, if you're scaffolding it as your other thread this will make 10x easier than wobbling about on top of a ladder. Give it a good scraping and use a stabilising primer on any bare bits. With Sandtex you should be fine with 2 coats but the textured stuff doesn't spread as easy as the smooth so you will need more. Now get on with it gramps

Edit - Sweepinghand beat me to it, damn my sausagefingers

Craftsman
    Never had a bother with sandtex

Yup application is a pain,depending on the surface you end up dabbing it on rather than brushing and this ends up with some areas getting a heavier coat / texture than others. but if your outside is like you say 'patchy' then textured can be a good option.
    I've always had good results with Sandtex for the textured stuff but it's not the cheapest. As always it comes down to how good the prep is, if you're scaffolding it as your other thread this will make 10x easier than wobbling about on top of a ladder. Give it a good scraping and use a stabilising primer on any bare bits. With Sandtex you should be fine with 2 coats but the textured stuff doesn't spread as easy as the smooth so you will need more. Now get on with it gramps

Edit - Sweepinghand beat me to it, damn my sausagefingers
    cheers mick can you recommend a flexible filler for exterior cracks?

I've hired a sprayer before, to spray it on. If you do make sure to tell them it's for textured paint so they give you the right nozzle. The application was very easy spraying it on, but the preparation takes time, covering windows, doors, guttering fascia etc etc. Good thing is though it get's right in to all the nooks and crevices!
    Just a thought...
    Last edited by Thorien; 6th August 2015 at 21:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorien View Post
    I've hired a sprayer before, to spray it on. If you do make sure to tell them it's for textured paint so they give you the right nozzle, the application was very easy spraying it on, but the preparation takes time, covering windows, doors, guttering fascia etc etc.
    Just a thought...
    I won't be spraying . what is this modern devilment of which you speak

It uses elec-trickery!

It was years ago when I last had to do it, luckily in the current house I specified flexible coloured through render (weber Pral M), never need to paint it! Woot!
    Last edited by Thorien; 6th August 2015 at 21:32.

When i was growing up in Devon, we used to have a problem with the paint changing colour and generally weathering badly in the salt air, Sandtex cured it

Blog Entries
    Depends on the size of the cracks Dave-o. I've used external caulk before, squeeze into cracks and smooth off with a wet brush - it's flexible and if you're using textured paint it won't stand out. If they're bigger cracks brush some thinned down PVA in before using an external flexible filler, there's plenty of 'em and all seem pretty similar. The ready mixed ones seem better than powder as they seem to have more flex. My merchant sells Toupret (? think that's how it's spelt) and this seems like a good product, used it a few times with no bother
    Depending on the size of Chez Grande Pomme de Terre I'd maybe consider spraying, it could save a lot of time

Toolstation sell the toupret stuff. Might give that a go. Spraying forget it. We only stopped spreading our houses with cow muck in this part of the world in the last few years, I don't want to overdo it . anyway its a semi and the ground floor front and side is redbrick so I only have to paint two thirds of a house.

I've always used Santex brilliant white.

Quite often there is an offer in B&Q for Santex products.

Smooth sandtex with a roller - they do a nice 'vanilla ice cream' colour that is good when painting a white wall as you can see where you've been!

Master
    About to start repainting my old cottage which has been rendered and the existing paint is in poor condition, flaking, dusty and with moss/algae. Spoke to a decorator and he uses Dulux weathershield but said Sandtex was a very good paint but made the point that you should always use a paint that said trade on the tin as this meant it was made to a higher spec. Sandtex is sold by B&Q etc but is not trade paint. I went to my local Crown paint supplier who sell Sandtex and asked them what the difference was, apparently Sandtex is made for the diy stores at a price dictated by the stores so basically watered down. Sandtex trade paint has fewer colour options available than the stores but I paid £21 for 5 litres for trade paint inc vat for cream, white may be cheaper. If you want to pick your own colour then its £25 plus vat per 5 litres.

That's the easy bit, scraping the old paint off is hard work, time consuming and soul destroying but preparation is the most important part of painting so I'm told.

I used Sandtex on my exterior harling. Screwfix had the best prices when I was buying.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    I used Sandtex on my exterior harling. Screwfix had the best prices when I was buying.
    Screwfix is coming in the cheapest for the regular stuff (£25/10l iirc) , theres a decorator centre near me does the trade stuff for £38/ 10 litres, and wickes are punting out dulux weather shield trade at £24/ 7.5 litres.

So I'm just deciding between dulux and sandtex at the moment.

update at seiko towers:

some of the paint is peeling , so I've started scraping it off. all the paint ( around 80 years worth ) comes off clean in one thick plasticky layer. the render underneath seems to be sound but there is some chalkiness around.

a friend suggested to proceed as thus:

scrape off the worst of the peeling paint

delineate areas to scrape to by cutting with a blade and scare off the worst areas - otherwise you'll end up scraping the whole house

hoover off the chalky deposits in the bare areas

apply a stabilising solution to them

water down the first coat of masonry paint to go on the sections of walls that have been scraped down to the render

then use a textured paint on these scraped areas for the first coat of full strength -( go with the textured in order to match in with the other existing areas that already have a stippled finish )

then for a top coat on all areas, use a smooth masonry paint..

( he also says using textured is a PITA and doesnt even see the difference a lot of the time where there is an existing textured finish )

how does this sound? may i ask the resident experts ... ( mick ?? where are you..)
    Last edited by seikopath; 13th August 2015 at 19:10.

Blog Entries
    Sounds like some proper advice there Dave-o
    Plus your mate has the benefit of seeing seiko towers so can't see any wrong with what he has suggested, couldn't have put it better myself - if I could have been bothered to type it all out
    Now pull your finger out and get cracking

We had our large Victorian house done with Sandtex three years ago. It was a significant expense. It looks like it was done yesterday, not a blemish anywhere. The decorator swore by it. It is so tough because it has sand in it, and is guaranteed for ten years. He reckoned it should easily do fifteen or more.

Sounds like some proper advice there Dave-o
    Plus your mate has the benefit of seeing seiko towers so can't see any wrong with what he has suggested, couldn't have put it better myself - if I could have been bothered to type it all out
    Now pull your finger out and get cracking
    He hasn't seen it , last time he was at Seiko towers was about 15 years ago

My finger has been out, you'd be proud of me I've been up there doing a real mans job sorting out the roof, not just poncing around in my whites with a paintbrush in my hand listening to the local radio station wondering how many sugars I want in my next tea and if there are any Jaffa cakes left in the van. . Thatll be next weeks job. .

just an update

I've been using toupret murex exterior filler ( from tool station ) . its really excellent stuff, very easy to work, goes down nice and fine and creamy , easy to apply, fast drying, goes rock hard, you can fill big cracks with it in one go and it dries to a bright white so its easy to paint over.

paintwise I've tried both dulux weathershield trade smooth and sandtex trade fine textured . the dulux seems to be slightly better regarded, its a very thick creamy paint with excellent coverage, but i prefer the sandtex because the colour is slightly lighter and more perky ( magnolia ). i haven't found painting with the textured paint arduous at all.