closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Incoming: Max, Bill, Bob, John...

Blog Entries

New Incoming: Max, Bill, Bob, John...

I've been a keen admirer of these for quite some time now and I finally got round to adding one to my collection. The Max Bill Chronoscope by Junghans is a somewhat different watch, its designer a Bauhaus student, its clear to see where its inspiration comes from. This one comes with a 40mm white dial which is clinically clean, and incredible eligible. It wears quite a bit bigger than its size suggests due to the almost non-existent bezel. The case shape is slightly strange, UFO like in fact due to the domed crystal and case back and it sits higher on the wrist as a result. I'd be lying if I were to suggest it was the most comfortable watch to wear. Inside, the calibre J880.2 runs an ETA 7750, a well proven chrono movement and the accuracy reflects it. Completing the watch is a stainless steel mesh strap and buckle that hugs the wrist quite nicely and is fully adjustable to get that perfect fit. All in all it's arrival was well worth the wait, and i'm mightily chuffed with it.

Last edited by ~dadam02~; 26th August 2015 at 14:38. Reason: OCD - spacing between pictures issue

Gorgeous. No other word for it.

Master
    Lovely watch and fantastic photos!

Often been attracted to these, the only thing that puts me off is an irrational dislike of plexi as opposed to sapphire.

Superlative. Love the all dial face. Congrats.

Great watch, lovely dial. Congrats.

Lovely. Just lovely.

I agree with all the above, it looks absolutely stunning, the photography is superb also. Would it be possible to take some photos on the wrist to show how it sits when you get a spare moment please.

Banned
    I've been close to grabbing one of these several times, something just always seemed to get in the way.

What I've never understood is the mesh bracelet. Is there some history as to why they put the two together, as it's a leather strap watch all day for me?

Same for the Breitling that is set up similarly. I'd be interested to know.

Great looking watch, great photo's!

A really lovely watch that I've been close to acquiring several times. As mentioned above, I prefer it on leather, but that's a minor point...and I love the domed plexiglass (as I do on my Speedmaster).

Congratulations on a great acquisition.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    I've been close to grabbing one of these several times, something just always seemed to get in the way.

What I've never understood is the mesh bracelet. Is there some history as to why they put the two together, as it's a leather strap watch all day for me?

Same for the Breitling that is set up similarly. I'd be interested to know.
    The mesh or rather Milanese looks correct I feel and in line with the design, as does the Breitling. Maybe as the MB is an ode to Bauhaus, which is certainly early 20th century, then perhaps the use of a Milanese would make sense?

Some history about the bracelet that I found:

• "This type of bracelet originates from the protective metal chain-mail worn under the armour of ancient warriors. … From the 13th to the 19th centuries, this manufacturing process was the exclusive preserve of the Milanese goldsmiths who catered to princely connoisseurs and the clergy. Mechanisation in the late 19th century made it unique to the town of PFORZHEIM in Germany. Nowadays, this craft is still pursued in cottage industries throughout northern Italy and in Geneva." WorldTempus

Journeyman
    One of the finest.

Journeyman
    I've been obsessing a bit about the Junghans Meister Chronoscope lately. I'm a little worried about the sizing though, it's a couple of mm bigger than the Max Bill. My wrist can take a big watch but I really want to try one on.
    Anyone aware of a UK stockist? I think there's one on Regent Street, I'm a bit north of London but can make the trip. It really is worth travelling for.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave I View Post
    I agree with all the above, it looks absolutely stunning, the photography is superb also. Would it be possible to take some photos on the wrist to show how it sits when you get a spare moment please.
    I have the same watch - in terms of how it look on the wrist, see below, although as we all know, capturing the "true" size and "fit" on wrist shots is rather hard - it is smaller in real life than the pictures suggest. In terms of the plexi - I have had mine for over five years (worn two or three days a week for work, including London public transport, revolving doors and all the other appalling dangers of the daily office grind) and it is unmarked. Never hit is with a hammer or attacked it with sandpaper though. Although 14mm high at the peak of the dome, I find it slips easily under a cuff, as it is quite smooth, slopey and slippy.

Couple of wrist pics, although given the standard of the OP's pics, I imagine they will be superseded:

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooty View Post
    I've been obsessing a bit about the Junghans Meister Chronoscope lately. I'm a little worried about the sizing though, it's a couple of mm bigger than the Max Bill. My wrist can take a big watch but I really want to try one on.
    Anyone aware of a UK stockist? I think there's one on Regent Street, I'm a bit north of London but can make the trip. It really is worth travelling for.
    I think Alsal Watches on Fleet Street is an official stockist, I'd call them first to make sure they have one though as it's a tiny shop.

C W Sellors in Leeds stock them and probably some of their other branches too.

First Class Watches are an AD in the midlands and sell the Chronoscope on leather: https://www.firstclasswatches.co.uk/...-mens-watches/
    You can haggle online too.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Fantastic looking watch. So Classy

Im going to agree with pretty much everyone else here so far - these are lovely.

The clean dial is so stark that it should, by rights, leave the watch looking functional but potentially too sterile, but then, the whole thing is brought to life by the sparkle of the dial finish and the domed crystal adds such warmth...

... genuinely a classic.

Edit:- I would also say to Burnsey that the rather small lugs of the watch really lend themselves to a bracelet like that - they can look daft with longer lugged watches - and, while it would look great on a strap too, the bracelet is very much in keeping with the intended style of the watch.
    Last edited by Umbongo; 26th August 2015 at 19:49.

I've been obsessing a bit about the Junghans Meister Chronoscope lately. I'm a little worried about the sizing though,

That's lovely - how big though?

Quote Originally Posted by fiddler69 View Post
    I have the same watch - in terms of how it look on the wrist, see below, although as we all know, capturing the "true" size and "fit" on wrist shots is rather hard - it is smaller in real life than the pictures suggest. In terms of the plexi - I have had mine for over five years (worn two or three days a week for work, including London public transport, revolving doors and all the other appalling dangers of the daily office grind) and it is unmarked. Never hit is with a hammer or attacked it with sandpaper though. Although 14mm high at the peak of the dome, I find it slips easily under a cuff, as it is quite smooth, slopey and slippy.
    Excellent, thank you very much, that does sit on your wrist very nicely, I never took into consideration the domed flexi which adds a couple of mm to the overall height but still looks very very sleek on your wrist. It looks stunning.

This is one of those threads that I really shouldn't have opened, I really like this watch and really, really want one now.

Jura watches hold these and living in the North I will call in at C W Sellors in Leeds to take a look.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Looks great on that mesh with the white dial.
    Lovely!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    That's lovely - how big though?
    Apparently 40.7mm. For some reason I had it in my head it was 42mm.

Journeyman
    Wau... gorgeous indeed. The Max Bill is on my short list, but this is also good looking.

Anyone aware of a UK stockist? [/IMG]
    Try Selfridges.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by jonasy View Post
    Try Selfridges.
    That's actually quite handy for me. I'll have a look, thanks.

It's a fine looking thing the Max Bill, though from the Junghans range I think I'd pick a Telemeter. Not sure which dial option though.

Craftsman
    I heard that the mechanism running the watch is loud - is the noise of the watching operating an issue for you?

Sorry and meant to say - these are spectacularly good looking watches. Can't decide if I prefer the detail of the chronoscope or the spartan dial with no date. Both are lovely. Well done!
    Last edited by jeepie; 27th August 2015 at 08:57.

Apparently 40.7mm. For some reason I had it in my head it was 42mm.
    Well, that's not bad at all - pretty much perfect. Especially given the proportions.

Craftsman
    Fantastic watch! Congrats

Journeyman
    One of the classiest watches out there.

The only thing I find slightly irritating is the fact the chrono wasn't actually designed by Max Bill. Still... Lovely.

Its rare enough that I open a post and then end up spending about an hour on the respective watch companies (Junghans) website. Great piece OP (and other owners).

Very nice indeed, another one for my wish list...

A beauty! I have one of those on the mesh bracelet. If anyone is relatively local to Canterbury, there is a watch dealer there which seems to stock the full Max Bill range. When you see them all in one shop window the temptation is not so much 'which one?' but more along the lines of 'how many?'.

Blog Entries
    Thanks all, i've been wearing it all week and it hasn't failed to bring a smile to my face.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepie View Post
    I heard that the mechanism running the watch is loud - is the noise of the watching operating an issue for you?

Sorry and meant to say - these are spectacularly good looking watches. Can't decide if I prefer the detail of the chronoscope or the spartan dial with no date. Both are lovely. Well done!
    It's noticeable but not too loud, certainly nothing close to say the ticking noise of the Rolex Oysterquartz. That said there is a distinct 'wobble' with the movement, i thought there was something wrong with the watch when i first wore it but now i'm used to it i look at it as some sort of quirk.

Great choice-Its a real beauty!