closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Wearability of AP Royal Oak Offshore

Master
    Blog Entries

Wearability of AP Royal Oak Offshore

I'm becoming increasingly tempted to own this watch, they exude quality, style, and history....
    BUT!!!!
    They look like real scratch / ding magnets due to the design and layout of all those flat surfaces. The hexagonal bezel looks like it may be an integral part of the watch and none replaceable, if it was badly scratched?
    Every watch I see for sale, particularly the three currently on SC look brand new, suggesting that they are either safe queens or been worn extremely sparingly.
    I would love to see watches of this type to see how they have endured everyday wear.
    Pics / feedback would be appreciated
    Thanks in advance
    Geoff

Master
    I do appreciate where you're coming from... but... do YOU want a safe queen or a watch to wear?

For me - I'd just buy one and wear it (carefully, but not wrapped in cotton wool), and let life take its course.

Otherwise, what's the point?

I am sure AP bear in mind when designing their watches that some people might actually wear them!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    I do appreciate where you're coming from... but... do YOU want a safe queen or a watch to wear?

For me - I'd just buy one and wear it (carefully, but not wrapped in cotton wool), and let life take its course.

Otherwise, what's the point?

I am sure AP bear in mind when designing their watches that some people might actually wear them!
    Point taken and agreed. But it would break my balls to mess one up.
    Cheers.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffcotton View Post
    Point taken and agreed. But it would break my balls to mess one up.
    Cheers.
    I feel you. Hence the reason why i would never venture into the really expensive watch category, what is the point of wearing a watch if it becomes a liability? To me a watch should be a almost hassle free experience in a daily life, i would be gutted if i wore a Patek or AP and it got a scratch or a dent.
    Last edited by Knisse; 10th September 2015 at 17:30.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Tbh i would not worry too much as it can all be fixed at service. I agree with the point made that at some point you have to wear a watch, enjoy it and deal with it so to speak. Else how do we reduce the depreciation to wear ratio : )

Now, very easy to say, hard to accept and i too am trying. But what ive learnt is, thinking about this is good in a way as it will make you careful when wearing it, which in turn will help.

Biggest question i have with the offshores is how it wears as i have small wrists so i may never own one.

Great watches though

I have the ROO Diver which I wear on average 2-3 days a week. I whacked mine against a door on the second day of ownership. Funnily enough I think that made me wear it even more because there wasn't much point wrapping it in cotton wool. Since then I've managed to get a few very light scratches on the bezel but you do have to look for them.
    Bear in mind that although it has a 42mm case it wears more like a 44-45mm. I have a 7-1/4" wrist and just about get away with it.
    It is very comfy on the rubber strap despite being quite heavy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely8 View Post
    I have the ROO Diver which I wear on average 2-3 days a week. I whacked mine against a door on the second day of ownership. Funnily enough I think that made me wear it even more because there wasn't much point wrapping it in cotton wool. Since then I've managed to get a few very light scratches on the bezel but you do have to look for them.
    Bear in mind that although it has a 42mm case it wears more like a 44-45mm. I have a 7-1/4" wrist and just about get away with it.
    It is very comfy on the rubber strap despite being quite heavy.
    Nothing quite looks like the AP but wearability is subjective.The diver is a tool watch so it will never be 39mm and slimline.I also have to say my wrists are small at 6 3/4" but have no problem whatsoever wearing one and like you say on the rubber strap is immensely comfortable.
    The only reason mine never had the stickers taken off was the big chunk of cash i laid out for the PP 5164.Now the guilt over that purchase is subsiding i'll happily keep and wear it.

Journeyman
    Does anyone have any photos ?

Master
    I wear my RO sensibly. If I know I am going to be doing something with a higher chance of knocking or scratching thes watch I will wear something else. I hate to tempt fate but in 3 years of ownership my watch still looks as it should when it left the factory (but not covered in plastic)!

Master
    Here's one pic of the Diver from today!

I had a ROO and wore it very frequently - took it on honeymoon with me, pool and beach every day, kayaking, rafting, never picked up a mark.

I really regret selling it now as it was with me for an important time of my life. Perhaps it'll turn up again...

I've owned mine for 3 years and although I've worn it sparingly, I haven't been overly cautious with it either.
    It is still mint so don't be put off by the size.
    I also own a DSSD which is slightly bulkier and much heavier being steel, and that is fine too.

I'm on the look out for a Rose gold 44mm, which is the only reason why I'm selling mine on SC at the moment.
    I love the Offshores!

If you pass anywhere near Covent Garden I'd be happy to meet up so you can see how it feels on the wrist...

Master
    I also have a ROO Diver which I love. My wrist is 6.75" too and it fits perfectly - with a secret twist. I replaced the buckle with a Ted Su friction buckle from one of his dive straps (I picked it up on the forum for £40). This allows me to size the strap absolutely perfectly which really helps with a heavy watch like the ROO Diver.

Cheers!

Simon

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gladders View Post
    I also have a ROO Diver which I love. My wrist is 6.75" too and it fits perfectly - with a secret twist. I replaced the buckle with a Ted Su friction buckle from one of his dive straps (I picked it up on the forum for £40). This allows me to size the strap absolutely perfectly which really helps with a heavy watch like the ROO Diver.

Cheers!

Simon
    Any pics available? Would really like to see that.