closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jack Daniels - why the fuss

Master

Jack Daniels - why the fuss

I got a bottle of JD for Christmas last year and finished it recently. I won't be disappointed if I never get another, it was OK but I couldn't really tell the difference from a normal blended whisky.

What am I missing?

its ok with coke. apart from that nothing special imho . appeal is mainly in its marketing myth and legend
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    What am I missing?
    Discerning taste buds?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    its ok with coke. apart from that nothing special imho . appeal is mainly in its marketing myth and legend
    +1, marketing hype.
    Still, I must be a victim to it because there is always a bottle in the cupboard and a drop of that after a bad day works as well for me as something costing ten times as much.

I must admit I'm quite taken with the Jack Daniels Honey.

Master
    It was Guns 'n' Roses tipple of choice. Nuff Said!

Have a gander at this thread HERE

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    I got a bottle of JD for Christmas last year and finished it recently. I won't be disappointed if I never get another, it was OK but I couldn't really tell the difference from a normal blended whisky.

What am I missing?
    love it or hate it, i am surprised it tasted like any other blended to you. I find most bourbons very different in character to most mainstream blends. Personally I probably favour Jim Beam over JD but i dont drink enough to go down the rabbit hole with some of the craft bourbons that are now becoming available in the UK which are no doubt superior.

Not a fan myself. I did guiltily enjoy a glass of the Tennessee Honey over Christmas. But that may have been to do with the preceding bottle of Port I'd *ahem* misplaced.

I still have an unopened bottle won in a raffle 5 years ago. Can't stand the stuff.

IMO over rated and sadly "over ere"

I prefer the flavour of Jim Beam....however somehow Jack Daniels seems to have become the 'hip' thing to drink. Clever marketing I guess.
    Sadly My hipster days are behind me!

Quote Originally Posted by PipPip View Post
    I still have an unopened bottle won in a raffle 5 years ago. Can't stand the stuff.
    Send it my way and I'll cover the postage

Thomas Reid
    I don't drink any more, but, when I did, of the bourbon's one can easily get in the UK, I preferred Maker's Mark.

Best wishes,
    Bob

I only ever drank it with Coke when I was already bladdered on Stella, so can't really comment on what it tasted like. Having been teetotal for six years I imagine any booze would taste vile now.

I prefer Jim Beam, a little smoother on my palate. I drink it as I do malt, with a splash of water.
    F.T.F.A.

I like it for what it is... it's quite a sweet easy-drinking whiskey, very very different to a blended Scotch whisky. I'd probably go for JD over a blended scotch to be honest (though based on the thread dedicated to this I'm tempted to try a few other blends). I think it's often 'my first whiskey' - something you drink when you're younger as it's easy to drink, it's got quite a cool bottle and association and goes well with coke..!

What was the film quote referring to it as John Daniels - when you know him as well as I do etc.?

Master
    I do prefer Bourbon, hate Whiskey.

JD Honey is very nice, replaced standard JD in my home cupboard. Makers Mark is good too.

I really like Rittenhouse Rye - difficult to find

I have a bottle somewhere that has about an inch drunk, I don't enjoy it and judging by the fact I've had that bottle for at least 5 years, none of my mates do either! - mind you I'm not a drinker and poured about 10 litres of spirits down the sink last year from various half drunk bottles. Best place for it imho and that sink has remained unblocked since!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    What was the film quote referring to it as John Daniels - when you know him as well as I do etc.?
    Scent of a Woman. Al Pacino

I reckon if you like decent scotch you probably wont like JD / Southern comfort etc.

They are too sticky and sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    Scent of a Woman. Al Pacino

Quote Originally Posted by TimeThoughts View Post
    I reckon if you like decent scotch you probably wont like JD / Southern comfort etc.

They are too sticky and sweet.
    Probably twenty years ago I tried a glass of JD, just the one mind, and that ^^^^^^was the conclusion I came to as well.

Master
    Jack is no nicer than Jim Beam which in a tenner less per litre.

I've tried MANY whiskeys over the years, not so long ago a friend bought a bottle of £160 Japanese stuff that i couldn't even name and similarly couldn't care less if i never seen again... average at best. Just like the Wine sniffers, there's a lot of snobbery involved in Whiskey.

Master
    Tried a bottle of Gentleman Jack a few weeks ago aswell, not as sharp as the standard JD but not at all worth the extra tenner.

Quote Originally Posted by EchoSevenNine View Post
    ... there's a lot of snobbery involved in Whiskey.
    Even more so in whisky.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    Even more so in whisky.
    Not when referring to Bourbon apparently.

"American and Irish liquor producers (and copy editors) tend to favor the spelling WHISKEY, while Canadian, Scottish, and Japanese producers (and copy editors) tend to favor (or should I say, favour) WHISKY."

Grand Master
    It's sounds good ordering it and talking about it. It's been made famous by films and musicians. No one ever sounds cool ordering a Warninks
    RIAC

A question to those that are into 'good' bourbon, and I guess the same goes for regular whiskies.

I like all manner of beers and wine, lots of womanly liqueuers (Baileys, Tia Maria, Archers etc) and the like, loves a good vodka/gin and tonic, is partial to a rum (but preferably with coke). Now, I've tried the usual cheap and nasty bourbons and whiskies (JD, JB, Bells, Teachers) and some maybe 'better' stuff (Glenfiddich, Talisker etc) and thought they were all equally vile and disgusting and could never imagine that I'd aquire the taste. But I do like the idea of liking whisky though and the collecting, distillery visiting and tastings that go with it. Is there any point in trying better whisky or is it all much of a muchness except to the discerning that are debating differences that would be negligible to me?

Master
    To be honest you can get snobby about JD, but if you're out in a pub it's usually the best on offer.

Dead right there are better bourbons/American Whiskeys out there, but on the high street, without getting into the 'trendy' bars, JD is about the best.

They have done a superb job of marketing the brand. Whether you think it's poor, mediocre or outstanding, it's become a household name regardless.
    My brother drinks almost nothing but JD on a night out, and has an epic collection of rare and limited edition bits and pieces. Looking across the web he certainly isn't alone, there are as many JD collectors as watch collectors it seems!

Craftsman
    JD is not Burbon, from Kentucky... It's whiskey, from Tennessee, you don't want to confuse this issue in Kentucky!!

Wild Turkey Rare Breed or 81 is a great drink, much nicer than JD or JB.

Jack Daniels is the whiskey equivalent of Rolex watches Harley Davidson motorcycles - the amount of hype, product placement, marketing BS and omnipresent references in popular culture are directly inproportional to the quality of the product.

Banned
    I'm not a fan fan of JD myself but iv never tried the JD Honey and mite have to give it a try

Craftsman
    There are much better alternatives out there that are easily available eg : Makers Mark ,Woodford Reserve ,Elijah Craig .Even Wild Turkey and Bulliet Bourbon put it to shame.Its hype and marketing that make it popular however it is better than Jim Beam which is pretty poor though if you drown it in coke you won't notice much difference.

Master
    Jack is no nicer than Jim Beam which in a tenner less per litre.
    I dont know - I really am no connoisseur, and always drink this sort of whisky with coke, but I can very definitely taste the difference between JD and Jim Beam - JD just tastes very definitely nicer. I JB when JD isnt on offer at the supermarket, so do drink both on a relatively regular basis (couple of times a week).

I drink it with coke and ice............I cant really tell the difference between Jack or Jim or even Morrisons own brand! When I drink it with coke and ice!!!

I don't like coke..........only with Bourbon!!! For me , its my drink of choice, as In 1979/9 I worked for a few months in Bavaria, in a hotel. I was there for 8 months, starting in September...........So plenty of snow! We used to buy a bottle (actually I am pretty sure we bought "Four Roses" bourbon........which Ive not seen for many a long year? Is it still made these days?).

Oops I digress. For me? like the taste, I LOVE! the memories of when I first tasted it in Germany in the 70s..............Then we used to buy bottles of coke (from a vending machine in the staff mess room....for a mark a bottle) Get some ice from the kitchen...........As the kitchens were on the ground floor........and our staff accommodation was in "the attic"!!! The ice used to run out...............instead of going down to the kitchen to get more ice (why the hell didn't we just get a bigger bucket of ice in the first damn place?!!)......we used to grab SNOW! from the roof! Ah happy days!! I do like the taste too!.........But 99% of the time I drink it? I think back to 1978/9!
    Last edited by valleywatch; 10th September 2015 at 21:46.

I drink JD with Coke and chuck in a wedge of lime.

Not when referring to Bourbon apparently.

"American and Irish liquor producers (and copy editors) tend to favor the spelling WHISKEY, while Canadian, Scottish, and Japanese producers (and copy editors) tend to favor (or should I say, favour) WHISKY."
    Yup.

But still willing to bet that there's even more snobbery in whisky. Than whiskey.

That brand is a marketing man's dream. Rover cars rode the wave around the 80s before their bubble burst. A metro with a Rover badge?

Anyway back to JD, just shows how important the image is, even the name. Betamax anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    Yup.

But still willing to bet that there's even more snobbery in whisky. Than whiskey.
    Im with you there!

I will bet my life, my house, myself and my daughter! on there being wayyyyyyyyyyyy more snobbery with whisky than whiskey!

Craftsman
    Other than the Oktoberfest (less than 2 weeks now!!!!!!) or if I'm in a gin bar, my drink of choice, with diet coke of all things about 50/50 ratio. Enjoy a good single malt as a treat and decent wine with food but JD for the relaxing buzz, if i drink at all, which is not much at the moment. :)

Quote Originally Posted by valleywatch View Post
    Im with you there!

I will bet my life, my house, myself and my daughter! on there being wayyyyyyyyyyyy more snobbery with whisky than whiskey!
    Not sure I understand the difference. I have a few nice single malt whiskys (mostly Speysides) in the house and a few nice blended and malt whiskeys (rest of world) as well. Depends on the mood I'm in. I suppose you could consider it a bit snobbish that I place Scotland's product in one category and the ROW in another but some of the Speyside malts are cheaper than some of the ROW offerings. I like some of the JD offerings and I also enjoy some, but not all, bourbons. They even make whiskey in Wales that is not to bad.

When I used to drink I never liked JD.

It has a weird sickly taste IMO but has the Kudos of being involved with all sorts of cool people from Sinatra to Keef.

In the US in the old days it was always Old-Grandad for me.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've moved on to rum now, but JD used to be my drink of choice if not in the beer mood. It's definitely got a taste all of its own when mixed with coke - back then I could definitely tell if someone used Jim Beam or Wild Turkey instead.

Nowadays if I want that type of drink it's Havana Club 7 or Especial with coke and a lime wedge.

Quote Originally Posted by aldfort View Post
    Not sure I understand the difference. I have a few nice single malt whiskys (mostly Speysides) in the house and a few nice blended and malt whiskeys (rest of world) as well. Depends on the mood I'm in. I suppose you could consider it a bit snobbish that I place Scotland's product in one category and the ROW in another but some of the Speyside malts are cheaper than some of the ROW offerings. I like some of the JD offerings and I also enjoy some, but not all, bourbons. They even make whiskey in Wales that is not to bad.
    No what I mean is, I think most people who drink Bourbon, drink it for whatever reason, advertising they like it friends introduced them to it. Advertising it (I.M.H.O. anyway!).

Maybe they aren't into the distilling methods/casking/blends/malts etc etc as "some" scotch drinkers are.

Years ago, I worked in hotels/bars etc. Lots of guys would come in, saying they could tell the difference between this and that, how old It was etc etc...Then chuck in a gallon of water or ice or soda or whatever else!

"Some" scotch drinkers did this..........not all of course.....I can honestly say, all the times I served bourbon (straight/mixed/as part of a cocktail etc)not one drinker ever mentioned they could tell the difference etc. Sure "most" people would ask for Jack D. as it was well "known" advertised etc. I might say to them (particularly if I forgot to order Jack or I had got Jim Beam or others on a good price!) why don't you try this one...............Most would say, very nice....

"Some" scotch drinkers, would swear they could tell the difference between this brand that brand etc.........So I would test them.theyd ask for say a Bells or whaever............I would pour them another whisky...........they wouldn't know the difference.........until after they had drunk it......and I had told them! I have never drunk malt whisky........obviously that is much different!

Personally............I don't like the taste of scotch . I like bourbon, Im also partial to a "rye and dry! , dash of angosturas and a slice of orange!". This is what I mean (in my personal opinion and experience etc!) about snobbery. "Most" bourbon drinkers would drink it as they liked it............but "some" scotch drinkers would bore the ass of me......by telling me about such and such "blend"! whisky!!

I never got the JD thing though have bought it and drunk it. But if Jamesons or Bushmills is available its a no brainer.
    I did have a Rebel Yell fetish for a while going through my Rock n roll years (late 80's) but proper Whiskey/whisky for me.

Master
    Wild Turkey or Labrot and Graham is generally much better, IMO.

It's marketing in the UK, in the U.S. Jim Beam outsells it massively, I like JB

I like JD with coke. The honey Jack is nice. Got a bottle of Jim Beam for my birthday....I'll give it a whirl

i like JD to make rusty nails :)

I also prefer Jim Beam.

I was given some of the JD honey last Christmas - far too sweet - almost undrinkable (almost....)

Thinking about it, I have never had any "good" bourbon. I may need to start researching...