closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

View Poll Results: Would you be interested by an Precista Italian Marina Militare type

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

18 47.37%
  • Yes, with Brushed steel

6 15.79%
  • Yes, with Brushed steel with seconds

3 7.89%
  • Yes, with Polished steel

4 10.53%
  • Yes, with Polished steel with seconds

2 5.26%
  • Yes, with Brushed Titanium

2 5.26%
  • Yes, with Brushed Titanium with seconds

3 7.89%

Thread: Interest Poll for an Italian Marina Militare Hommage PRS-XX

Interest Poll for an Italian Marina Militare Hommage PRS-XX

Hi,

And again!

A new poll to know if a Precista Italian Marina Militare type watch could have a chance.

And let's put some choices:

Brushed steel
    Brushed steel with seconds
    Polished steel
    Polished steel with seconds
    Brushed Titanium
    Brushed Titanium with seconds

Many thanks :-)

All the best,

GregVDS

I have a Marina Militare but would like to see a better quality one.

Voted NO. There are to many out there already.

I really liked the Germano MM when it was making the rounds. The quality looked better than Panerai.

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

Craftsman
    voted no.
    there is a fine line between homages and copies or fakes : the reproduction of the locking system crosses it and makes any non panerai watch a copy.

if you leave it out, then what is the point of a MM homage?

Journeyman
    The crown guard is a problem as it seems to have some kind of patent. BUT original 6152 came also without a crown guard. So hommage to that IMHO shouldn't be a problem :idea:

also like to see it with 8 days movement :D

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Jr
    Voted NO. There are to many out there already.
    And I don't like the design.

You have not grasped the ethics of the company have you.
    Eddie doesn't do fakes or hommages to currently produced models

Surely not fakes, I agree with you on that.

Neither I ask for for that matter, just was interested to know if more Pannies like would encounter interest, obviously not the case.

Thanks,

Greg

Can you help me and expose the ethics behind all this? It seems all these are more or less inspired by big brands, no?

I for my part have difficulties to have a strong opinion on that matter. Ok, Intellectual property is to be respected. On the other hand, some pricetag are simply nonsense. And there are differences between a complete fake, trying to mimic all the details, brand, writings and engravings, and inspired ones, that do not try to pretend. And the Italian is a good example. Frankly, apart for the markings, as seen from front, this is a PAM210, no more no less. And it's normal to be inspired by this kind of design, as it is a perfect form, balance, design and style.

Now, english is not my mothertongue, so maybe hommage is more pejorative in english than I think.

Thanks again,

Greg

The Italian is in the style of the 1942 Radiomir Panny , which is no longer in production

Not in production?

I find a lot of rads in the OP range that are all currently produced. Maybe not with blued steel hands, that's right. Is that the major difference that sort the Italian from a hommage?

And as seen from the last catalogue from OP, the peculiar strap lugs system is now a registered trademark too. Maybe again, as the scew is not placed precisely on the same spot on the Italian as on the Rad, again this is not a hommage?

I think chrisb that you attacked a little bit quickly on me. I did not asked for reps, nor did I found TimeFactors watches to be reps. The Italian has enough details different from the Rad not to be accused of being a rep.

And I just polled about something similar around the classic MM, that was all, no need to be aloof here.

All the best,

Greg

Craftsman
    I think Greg has some very good points and every right to inquire of this venture.
    No offense Chris, but you're splitting very fine hairs here.
    I would have never known that the 'exact' inspiration to Eddie's PRS-20* was out of production because I see those bloody Radiomirs everywhere.
    Having only the blue hands for distinction is weak ground to make an ethical stand.
    If there's more to it, then so be it, but that's my take on it.

*edited* BTW, I voted "no".

J.

On the subject of Radiomirs, I know this is a fake, but how can you tell just by looking?

Oops, hair on top right quarter; not meant to be there!

I would say
    - the master crown at 3 is too much recessed in the body.
    - I don't know any Rads with such ugly white face.
    - The chrono rads have the central pusher at 2 broader, even if in a secondary crown.
    - Corners of the body are a tad too smooth

but I'm no way an expert in that matter

Greg

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring
    On the subject of Radiomirs, I know this is a fake, but how can you tell just by looking?
    As most WIS, I started to focus on the technical details, but I was immediately put off by the cheap plating (especially the crevices in the crowns) and stopped further study. :twisted:

J.

I have much to learn, but it does look quite good in real life...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    I really liked the Germano MM when it was making the rounds. The quality looked better than Panerai.
    john
    Accidentally I've seen a Germano MM a few days ago. The quality seems to be good. From my personal point it's looks more clumsy than the OP MM and the dial is not a sandwich one but with quite thickish lume markers. Otherwise I would have been tempted.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Wayne
    No offense Chris, but you're splitting very fine hairs here.
    I would have never known that the 'exact' inspiration to Eddie's PRS-20* was out of production because I see those bloody Radiomirs everywhere.
    Having only the blue hands for distinction is weak ground to make an ethical stand.
    J.
    J., CHris isn't splitting hairs.

The PRS-20 is a hommage to the original. That had blued hands.

The fact that Panerai make similar hommages themselves, but with non-blued hands, isn't the point.

Your arguement sounds a bit like "Eddie used blue hands to avoid looking like a modern Radiomir". That is not the case.

With regards to the original poster - I'd need to see a proposed design before saying yes or no.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones
    J., CHris isn't splitting hairs.

The PRS-20 is a hommage to the original. That had blued hands.

The fact that Panerai make similar hommages themselves, but with non-blued hands, isn't the point.

Your arguement sounds a bit like "Eddie used blue hands to avoid looking like a modern Radiomir". That is not the case.

No, that is not what I meant.
    I understand and appreciate the approach Eddie takes to making his watches. He intentionally goes after the old "vintage" models.
    I like that, but you made my point in your previous sentence, despite you saying it's not the point.
    Because Panerai is still making an almost identical watch, many, not familiar with the exact history, will miss the point.
    As I said it's splitting hairs because the only obvious difference is the color of the hands.
    Remember, I'm thinking of buying one and coloring the hands with a Sharpie. :twisted:

J.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Wayne
    Because Panerai is still making an almost identical watch, many, not familiar with the exact history, will miss the point.
    As I said it's splitting hairs because the only obvious difference is the color of the hands.
    Remember, I'm thinking of buying one and coloring the hands with a Sharpie. :twisted:

J.
    Hmm, I think we differ on the intention of "splitting hairs"... which is a good example of "splitting hairs" :)

I forget that anyone buying a PRS-20 might not be familiar with the original watch - as I assume most people would read through the site.

If you do buy one - and they are very nice - then give the blued hands a decent try before you change them - don't do anything you will regret in a hurry :) - the blue may not be to everyone's taste but I think the gold/yellow ones look bl00dy awful.

I agree on that.

Blued steel is beautiful, more refined and discrete than gold hands.

Haa, the Fiddy would be a total shock with blue hands.

All the best,

Greg