closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Nomos conundrum

Craftsman

Nomos conundrum

I am looking for a classic watch that I can wear both in the office and I weekends.
    was browsing the Nomos website last weekend and fell immediately in love with the new Metro Datum.
    I quite like the original Metro but couldn't get past the off centre logo.
    The new one has a fresh but still Nomos like look.

Now thinking about it I am not to sure if the fresh looks wears of after a while so a Tangente datum (manual) or Tangomat Datum with a beautiful automatic movement might be a safe choice? All three are 38mm, the manual Tangente is slimmer then the Tangomat due to the smaller movement.
    Good if you are spoiled for choice :)

Tangente

Tangomat

Last edited by Bender; 22nd September 2015 at 09:51.

Master
    Blog Entries
    IMO if you want the classic look and to keep the watch long term go for Tangomat/Tangente model. It'll never look dated or out of place.

Even the Tangomat isn't too big to go under a shirt sleeve, so that's the one I'd choose.

If you want 'weekend wear' as well, it'd be the Ahoi for me. 200m water resistance in a slim, elegant case.

Brilliant concept for a watch.

If you want the Metro, just buy it !! Also noticed it has a 9 mo delivery time stated on their website, ouch.

I have a Tangente Datum, with cream dial. It's not going anywhere... for a while. I like the look of the Metro Datum but I find the Tangente more "classic" and seems to be trying less hard to be something else...if you get what I mean!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    If you want 'weekend wear' as well, it'd be the Ahoi for me. 200m water resistance in a slim, elegant case.

Brilliant concept for a watch.
    I agree - the Atlantik version with the deep blue dial and mint hands is gorgeous.

Craftsman

Nomos conundrum

Thanks for all the thoughts so far.
    The Metro black looks great on the website and a seller on chrono24 has it in stock.
    But looking at real life pictures the hands don't really stand out.
    Last edited by Bender; 22nd September 2015 at 13:08.

Craftsman

Nomos conundrum

The deep blue Atlantic ahoi looks gorgeous , hands good to see and a welcome departure from ever present black dials :)
    Last edited by Bender; 22nd September 2015 at 13:32.

I prefer the tangente, IMHO the Metro's hour hand seems to lengthy.

Quote Originally Posted by jonasy View Post
    If you want the Metro, just buy it !! Also noticed it has a 9 mo delivery time stated on their website, ouch.
    I was thinking about getting a Metro gangreserve in March this year. At that time, the website said they would be available in 3 - 6 months. This message stayed the same until last month when the website changed to say it (and the non-gangreserve variants) were not currently available; now the website says 9 months. It does seem to be a 'this year, next year, sometime, never' situation.

I also got a rather snotty email from them a couple of months ago when I asked if they could clarify the situation (they couldn't!) - it is definitely 'never' for me!

Craftsman
    I own a no date Tangente and it gets worn more than any other watch I own. I really like the Metro and Ahoi but if you want something that won't get old, go with the Tangente. It's classic and flies under the radar:

Journeyman
    I'm in a similar position, but it's between the grey Metro and the 38 Tangente.

I pretty much decided that the classic Tangente is a safe bet and is likely to become a stalwart of the collection.

That said, I'm in love with the new tidier Metro. And I'm very rarely dressy, which makes me think the Metro will get more wrist time.

I suppose I'll just have to get both!

Craftsman
    Hi OP all are lovely watches, but id go for the Tangente or Tangomat. infact i did, i have a Tangomat Datum which i love. Just be aware one down side of the date on the Tangomat is the lack of quick set , if you are not going to wear the watch regularly its a bit of a pain to set. Not sure if this is the same on the Tangente. That is my only gripe, i love everything else about the watch. It is classic enough to be worn as a dress watch and minimilist cool enough to wear as a weekender.

Apprentice
    I love the new Metro's, I went for the Tangomat as they are slightly bigger than the tangents, I wanted a simple classic dress watch, I think they are fantastic value for money and stunning watches, good build quality and in- house movements very good, very surprised that somebody had a bad customer experience with them, the dealings I have had have been very impressive, I even get Christmas cards of them!

Stu

Craftsman
    Thanks everyone. I am pretty certain now that I will go for a Tangente Datum (bigger date then the Tangomat, which looks more balanced, plus I love hand winding movements).
    The only question is now if I pick one up from chrono24, with the alpha movement, or spend a bit more and get the new DUW4101 directly from Nomos.

Was anybody else hoping that Nomos had released a new model called the Conundrum?

Craftsman
    mikeeb1, good point, without a date quickset I might pick the standard Tangente after all (makes the purchase easier as well as there is no duw movement for the alpha out yet

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    Was anybody else hoping that Nomos had released a new model called the Conundrum?
    :)

Craftsman
    A point to bear in mind here is that Nomos are releasing two new very thin automatic watches soon: the Tangente automatik and the minimatik: these have the new DUW 3001. Read all about it > http://www.ablogtowatch.com/nomos-mi...3001-movement/. It's worth knowing these are coming down the pipe so you can assess them against the current models.

This is my favourite Nomos:

For me it's even more versatile than the Tangente as I think the Arabic numerials seem quite casual and a touch playful. I prefer the Roman numerals on a formal watch which at the same time dresses down very nicely on a suede strap:

Sorry I've probably made the choice even harder. I love them all to be honest. I love the rose Orion with the gold hands. I love the Ahoi. I love the Metro. I love the world timer one. I love the blaugold one in particular.

Great watches.

Let us know what you decide.

Nomos conundrum

No one interested in the Orion? I don't have one (yet) but have narrowed my Nomos pref to an Orion or Tangente but I want to see in the metal first before I decide.

ETA: Plus make sure you try on the standard size vs the 38 as they wear quite big I hear.
    Last edited by SG73; 25th September 2015 at 22:07.

Journeyman
    I think you are having trouble deciding because they are all great watches!

Master
    All lovely watches, my son has two, but I am steering away from Bauhaus at the moment. Those new watches with the roman numerals (which I normally dislike) are looking quite tasty though.

Craftsman
    Love my Orion Datum.

Definitely a keeper.

On the subject of how the 38mm nomos watches wear,here's a pic of my 38mm Zurich vs a Pam 305 at 47mm

38mm nomos are def big wearers

P.S. I also though a Nomos Conundrum was going to be a new model
    Last edited by tekbow; 26th September 2015 at 07:24.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by tekbow View Post
    On the subject of how the 38mm nomos watches wear,here's a pic of my 38mm Zurich vs a Pam 305 at 47mm

38mm nomos are def big wearers

P.S. I also though a Nomos Conundrum was going to be a new model
    The Nomos might seem like it wears big for a 38 because it's actually 39.7mm

It wears big for a 40 as well

Yes I know the 14060 is a 39mm

Anyway, as a lot have pointed out, it's the proportions of the bezel to the face and the long lugs
    Last edited by tekbow; 26th September 2015 at 18:37.

i've had my tangente for about 10 years now (alpha mvement) . still looking great, over the past few years people have started to notice it more than before. the only thing i'd have changed is to buy a tangomat datum. simple clean design that i find works well in a formal as well as a casual environment.

budget option.

Craftsman
    I have just ordered a white dial metro. Yes, it's a 9 month wait unfortunately. The white looks cleaner and sharper in real life.