closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Most Comfy Car Seats?

Old Saabs win hands down. I've had five new Mercs and none have come close

Miss my old 9-3 gonna have to buy another!

Agree with most on the thread that you can't go wrong with a Swedish car; Volvo and Saab are as comfy as a pair of your favourite slippers. Oddly my old Honda Civic Type R had lovely comfy Racaro's but the suspension was hard enough to rattle out fillings.

Master
    Another vote for Saabs. When people used to ask this question in the Telegraph motoring supplement Honest John always used to recommend them.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Xantiagib View Post
    Only surpassed by the seats from a CX GTi Turbo series 2......

What a fabulous interior!
    Reminds me of Hotblack Desiato's stuntship.

Quote Originally Posted by StackH View Post
    The worst I've ever had were Recaros in a Ford Focus - superb for stopping you from sliding about when driving in a spirited fashion, but very uncomfortable for all but the shortest journeys.
    A friend of mine used to give me a lift to the pub in an RS Turbo that had Recaro seats, it was like having one's @r$€ stuck in a vice! And it's not like I've got a big bottom!

Worst seats, Audi A4. Seemed okay on a short journey but on a run......

Best seats, the sports seats fitted to my BMW 330D sport. I thought I would miss them when I chopped it for my Honda S2000 but there is very little in it.

The seats on the latest Audi A6 in S Line config are lovely with the adjustable lumbar support.

Craftsman
    Agree, Audi sports seats are very good. Have done 1000 miles in a day with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    Another vote for Saabs. When people used to ask this question in the Telegraph motoring supplement Honest John always used to recommend them.
    Reminds me of collecting my in-laws from Luton airport one foggy morning, my father in-law being agitated from a long delay, put him in the front passenger seat, set heated seat to level 3 and he went out like a light.
    Bring back Saab.

Craftsman
    Hi,
    I have got to agree with the consensus that Volvo/Saab are up there with the best, My old V50 was extremely comfortable although I also have an X350 Jag XJ8 and I did 570 miles in that on Sunday none stop and it was both comfy and a lovely place to be for 10 hours.

There used to be a website on the internet where someone had scientifically reviewed seats.

SAABs (As I recall) figured very highly as did the fixed seats in Marcos cars (the reason I found the link).

I can't find it quickly now, but it's out there somewhere, albeit probably a little old now.

I must admit I always find my Mazda RX8 seats incredibly comfortable, with excellent support in all the right places.

I never really thought about car seats that much before I got the Mazda, but now everything else seems excessively hard, soft and/or unsupportive.

M.

Think I fancy another Saab.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Think I fancy another Saab.
    Do it! Kept my 9-3Se Turbo as a second car for years and sold it recently because it just wasn't getting used. Miss it. Now my lady friend has just bought a convertible as a second car and I'm jealous already! Just fantastic cars and always got comments

Quote Originally Posted by jmitch View Post
    Liking the reference there

"It's the wild colour scheme that freaks me," said Zaphod whose love affair with this ship had lasted almost three minutes into the flight, "Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls that are labelled in black on a black background, a little black light lights up black to let you know you've done it. What is this? Some kind of galactic hyperhearse?"

The walls of the swaying cabin were also black, the ceiling was black, the seats - which were rudimentary since the only important trip this ship was designed for was supposed to be unmanned - were black, the control panel was black, the instruments were black, the little screws that held them in place were black, the thin tufted nylon floor covering was black, and when they had lifted up a corner of it they had discovered that the foam underlay also was black.

"Perhaps whoever designed it had eyes that responded to different wavelengths," offered Trillian.

"Or didn't have much imagination," muttered Arthur.

"Perhaps," said Marvin, "he was feeling very depressed."

Apologies for the diversion. Back on topic, I'm another Volvo fan.

I would have to say the best car seat I have ever plonked my rear end in was in a focus. 2010 titanium model I believe and I sat in it LOTS during my three years with it. Best seat by a long way, tested in 5 hour traffic jams etc plus countless European Road trips. Certainly miss it, current steer has shite seats (Quashqai).

Fantastic! And by the way, check out the name of the coolest Estate Agents in London... http://www.hotblackdesiato.co.uk/

Love that steering wheel!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Love that steering wheel!
    I had the non-leather interior - but the seats were the same and supported your legs right up to the back of the knee...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Xantiagib View Post
    Only surpassed by the seats from a CX GTi Turbo series 2......

I had one of those! With the same black leather interior. It was modified by Maikonics to give 250bhp and 320lbft of torque. However, the seats weren't as comfortable as the ones in my Wife's Citroen BX.

SAAB seats were made by Lear (of jet fame) and it was a little sad that the factory in Trollhattan closed as SAAB collapsed. By far and away the best seats which changed very little from my SAAB 99 through to the 9-5 in design and comfort.

My 1980's SL Seats are also very comfy, but tried a newer car and although they hold you better, they are less comfy on the ar5e

The Recaro Classics in my Audi RS2 are incredible, everyone comments on how comfortable they are and they are 20 years old!

I also have S-Line seats in the A6 and these are very very good too.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It might be nostalgia, but I still haven't found anything that compares to my old Rover SDI V8S. Audi Coupe GT was close though

Blog Entries
    I find the seats in my MX5 (2002 mk2.5) incredibly uncomfortable - just cant seem to get the positioning right and end up with an annoying backache after 30 mins or so. Luckily the car isn't my daily driver and is only used for fun and I rarely drive it for more than an hour or so at a time.

My dd is a Landcruiser and it's seats are like armchairs and very similar, if not exactly the same, as the Lexus LS400 seats from the late 90s/early 00s. Over the years I've driven this car for 100k+ miles, sometimes over 12 hours in a day and never had any issues. Just like sitting in your favourite chair watching the TV - driving it is about as stressful too!

SWMBO's Yaris is somewhere in between the above - certainly not perfect but adequate for a couple of hours. Again, luckily we never use it for long journeys and it limited to shorter trips and around town etc. which it really excels at.
    Last edited by vagabond; 2nd October 2015 at 09:52.