closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Rugby World Cup

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Olly View Post
    Would love it if we beat them (not happening) and they spank you next week!

Really apprehensive about tonight. Can't really afford to not be dominant at the scrum as Poite will decide early who is in charge and penalise accordingly. Hope all the discussion from Australia about Marler won't be the focus, and that we aren't isolated in contact as Hooper and Pocock are two of the best breakdown players in world rugby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj8tl3iy-W4

We have already won

Craftsman
    Game over. Been killed at the breakdown and scrum. Need a proper open side.

Quote Originally Posted by Olly View Post
    Game over. Been killed at the breakdown and scrum. Need a proper open side.
    It's like 2003 in reverse - great to see an old school back row in action. Aussie back line looks super sharp too. Bet they'll score another breakaway try, so hard to see England coming back. Australia to go on and lift the cup?

Australia extremely good in the first half and too many mistakes from England. The move for their second try was awesome!

Hard to see England coming back from here, but you never know.

Craftsman
    Scrum penalties seem to be a complete lottery - Poite is known for this.

Joseph looks dangerous; England have had a few half breaks and good carries - it's not all one way traffic. I heard today that this is Lancaster's 18th or 19th 10/12/13 combo. That must make it hard to have any sort of defensive shape.

Not sure that Australia are working too hard in defence - their line looks very crooked and could well be exploited.
    Last edited by Eoin; 3rd October 2015 at 21:05.

England throwing the dice with replacements now. Might be a big score.

Marler finally getting blown for boring. Pocock looking frighteningly effective.

Turning into a really entertaining match. Life left in England yet; Aus starting to look slightly rattled...?

Master
    What an emphatic win for Australia. Thank you boys.

Australia looking very good - who can remember the last time they had a dominant scrum?

Wasn't sure what to expect from Australia as I hadn't seen them play for a while. Apart from a little wobble in the second half they sure looked sharp and dangerous (though England seemed to do their best to help them where they could). Looks like a two horse race for the title with the All Blacks to me. I do hope Ireland can make a real push this time though.

What's with sections of the crowd booing Lancaster? And some of the England fans leaving the stadium 10 minutes before the end if the match? Poor show.

Anyway, really looking forward to the rest of the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by 50kopek View Post
    Wasn't sure what to expect from Australia as I hadn't seen them play for a while. Apart from a little wobble in the second half they sure looked sharp and dangerous (though England seemed to do their best to help them where they could). Looks like a two horse race for the title with the All Blacks to me. I do hope Ireland can make a real push this time though.
    I think Aus, NZ, South Africa, Ireland, Wales, France all still well in the mix - any of these could win.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    What an emphatic win for Australia. Thank you boys.
    +1

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Argon View Post
    I think Aus, NZ, South Africa, Ireland, Wales, France all still well in the mix - any of these could win.

Certainly could be any of the southern hemisphere teams.
    France I think are just to hot and cold, the winning team is going to need to put in a string of good performances, and the french will
    inevitably have a bad game!

Wales have some talent, but I think they are a bit too depleted, Ireland I give an outside shot.

The 15/2 I got on Aus looks OK value now!

Master
    As a Wales fan, the result is good for us. I do feel the tournament is a bit poorer for not having them in it, but England just weren't good enough for long enough the last two games unfortunately.

I really hope the RFU don't axe Lancaster, he doesn't deserve that.

The crowd booing and leaving early was a poor show as well.

Aus did look good, it has to be said.
    Last edited by Tooks; 3rd October 2015 at 22:24.

Aus look very strong. Aus vs Wales will be an interesting form barometer next week. They will likely smash us too.

England underperformed overall. The pack was battered, apart from parity at the line out. Can't quite believe that was an Australian scrum...

Competition will be poorer with the hosts out though.

Grand Master
    What's with sections of the crowd booing Lancaster? And some of the England fans leaving the stadium 10 minutes before the end if the match? Poor show.
    That and the physical death threats to Robshaw's missus... I'd go so far as to say a country that can produce behaviour like that doesn't deserve to progress any further.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

I like South Africa (they're sort of Dutch). I think they have the forwards to hurt anyone, but lack some creativity beyond that. Wales are depleted and may have already played their best game of the tournament. France is France and on their day can beat anyone, but I don't think they can do that three games in a row. If it's going to come from the Northern Hemisphere I'm looking at Ireland.

But it's been an excellent and unpredictable tournament so far so anything can happen.

Australia

We were outclassed and outplayed
    Sad to say it
    People leaving ten mins to go was disgusting

Australia will smash Wales off the planet

England give far too many penalties away and the manager must get upset as he lined them up ok for the job

I don't think NZ will win it

Glad I wasn't out in a pub watching it, as Utd be even more depressing with booze.

We blew it against a crap Wales side by gifting them 15/18 points so put ourselves in this situation

Let's hope Ireland do well now instead

Quote Originally Posted by 50kopek View Post
    I like South Africa (they're sort of Dutch). I think they have the forwards to hurt anyone, but lack some creativity beyond that. Wales are depleted and may have already played their best game of the tournament. France is France and on their day can beat anyone, but I don't think they can do that three games in a row. If it's going to come from the Northern Hemisphere I'm looking at Ireland.

But it's been an excellent and unpredictable tournament so far so anything can happen.
    Yep, fair comments about Wales and France.

Re: South Africa's creativity - I think the starting team they seem to be settling on has really been transformed on that front. You have Handre Pollard at flyhalf - very attacking, plays flat and has ability to get the line on the front foot.

Jean de Villiers's injury has opened the door to the young centre pairing of Kriel and De Allende. The latter is a monster in attack, and Kriel is pretty good too (though he needs more experience in defensive placement).

Then there's Willie le Roux at fullback - one of the most exciting and attacking fullbacks around at the moment.

The others - Pietersen, Fourie du Preez, Habana - they can open up a game too.

If this WC is like most of the others, though, it'll be won primarily on defensive organization and being able to knock attacking teams back in the tackle.

Well played Australia. Their back row and number 10 were top class and England just made too many mistakes and got far too ragged.

Australia will comfortably beat us next week I'm sure, meaning we will probably have to face South Africa in the quarter finals, so that will be the end of it. But there is always hope!

Seeing the Twickenham crowd leaving 10 minutes early was hilarious!

I hope England stick with Lancaster. He's a good coach and they will learn from this experience, making them far stronger in the future. He has a contract until 2020 so they should stick to it.

I think Wales Oz match will be a lot less fought, as both sides won't want players injured for the main event. Although Q1 and Q2 may make a difference depending on who they'd favour.

I'm Welsh (as if you didn't know) but contrary to popular belief was rooting for England as soon as the try was scored (fantastic try btw).

The press is very much going to have a field day yet again, and for the wrong reasons.
    The hype is always at unprecedented levels with anything to do with England/decisions/coaching/selection.
    England lost. Deal with it.... with dignity..... and move on.

The commentary and questions by John Invertwat always makes me shudder. Does he think up these questions himself ? If England lose, all he talks about is who is to blame and where can it be put right. Leaves congratulating the Winners or the winning teams commentary host right until late.

Note to Press and some of the England fans

Confidence and Arrogance are two different things.
    Last edited by MuRph77; 3rd October 2015 at 23:10.

Quote Originally Posted by welshlad View Post
    Seeing the Twickenham crowd leaving 10 minutes early was hilarious!
    That's one way of viewing it, I suppose...

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post

We blew it against a crap Wales side by gifting them 15/18 points so put ourselves in this situation

Still hurting is it ? Lol....

England were going to smash a depleted injury struck crap side last Saturday too.

I've just read that the official man of the match was.....Joe Launchbury!

Now, he had a good game, sure, but surely Foley, Hooper and Pocock were several streets (if not a whole bloody town) ahead of him?? Who the hell made that decision?!

Might be a bit closer than you think. Every scrum will probably end with an Aus penalty mind.

The breakdown was central to tonight. England didn't secure a turnover for 78mins! (If I heard that stat correctly). Wales' back row are better than that I hope.

Gethin Jenkins wins more turnovers than either of the English flankers...

Master
    We were outclassed and outplayed
    Sad to say it
    People leaving ten mins to go was disgusting

England give far too many penalties away and the manager must get upset as he lined them up ok for the job

I don't think NZ will win it

Glad I wasn't out in a pub watching it, as Utd be even more depressing with booze.

Let's hope Ireland do well now instead
    Bloody hell. Sour grapes or what. You were beaten (twice) get over it.

Craftsman
    Yep, fair comments about Wales and France.

Re: South Africa's creativity - I think the starting team they seem to be settling on has really been transformed on that front. You have Handre Pollard at flyhalf - very attacking, plays flat and has ability to get the line on the front foot.

Jean de Villiers's injury has opened the door to the young centre pairing of Kriel and De Allende. The latter is a monster in attack, and Kriel is pretty good too (though he needs more experience in defensive placement).

Then there's Willie le Roux at fullback - one of the most exciting and attacking fullbacks around at the moment.

The others - Pietersen, Fourie du Preez, Habana - they can open up a game too.

If this WC is like most of the others, though, it'll be won primarily on defensive organization and being able to knock attacking teams back in the tackle.
    100% this. SA look dangerous with plenty of experience to come back in if Matfield and De Villiers get fit though they won't displace De Jäger and Kriel at present. They will be terrifying in 4 years time.

Very disappointed with England though I guess that's what you get for not selecting your best 7 and including players for their personality rather than Union ability, and forgetting the attacking philosophy that did so well in the 6 N. We looked a different team when Ford came on at half time.

Booing Lancaster when interviewed
    http://youtu.be/Rw5yB8I7RW0

Sums up some of the England "fans" out there. Disgusting.

They did the same when Gatland's image was shown on the big screen during the match a week previous. Arrogant and bad losers
    Last edited by MuRph77; 3rd October 2015 at 23:51.

Now, he had a good game, sure, but surely Foley, Hooper and Pocock were several streets (if not a whole bloody town) ahead of him?? Who the hell made that decision?!

They said his Mum picked him

Rugby World Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    You asked a question so it would be rude not to answer - as someone who has been involved in Rugby for the last 45 years.

Much of it stems from 1995 and what happened to the All Blacks in the final. If you don't know look it up! But most stems from the way they play the game. Here is someone else's perspective from 2002.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/200...rugbyunionteam

A game I witnessed first hand.

Yesterday they tried the same aggressive and slightly cheaty approach, but were out battled at the breakdown and, for a change, unable to hoodwink the ref.

Add a head coach who is an arrogant twat, the whole political dimension of SA Rugby and some of their "fans" I have met at Twickers, (who behave like some of their players) and perhaps its explains my negativity towards them.

You might not consider these very good reasons, but they are still better than a "anyone but England" approach don't you think?
    Just catching up on this thread. This is a pretty bigoted viewpoint. The behaviour of what was, I'm sure, a small minority of English fans this evening should help you to appreciate that every nation has its share of bozos and numbskulls. Most foreigners know better than to judge the English football fanbase by its fringe of louts and troublemakers. They don't tar all English rugby players with the same brush as the members the 2011 England WC team with their unsavoury off-field antics in NZ, neither do they believe that all current members of the England squad are filthy players due to Owen Farrell's cynical yellow-carded late tackle this evening. We learn that reasoning from the particular to the general in these matters results in lazy and tedious stereotypes, and ultimately no one gains.
    Last edited by Argon; 4th October 2015 at 07:40.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MuRph77 View Post
    Still hurting is it ? Lol....

England were going to smash a depleted injury struck crap side last Saturday too.
    I remember the "England will blast Wales into outer space and then piss on the scorch marks" comments too. Oopsie :)
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master
    Now, will England beat Uraguay?

Well, after tonight's dreadful performance, who knows?

It'll be fun to watch.

Master
    At least Palace won, so my day wasn't totally ruined.

Craftsman

I think it's done by voting on Twitter. That's the only possible explanation.

That's that, then.

England asked questions, but Australia had the answers. And when Australia asked the questions, England came up short. Foley's tries were superb, exposing England brilliantly. Anthony Watson's try was a lovely piece of opportunism as well.

Anybody who thinks that Joe Lauchbury was Man of the Match must have been watching a different game.

The introduction of George Ford seemed to spark England into life, but the old problems of losing turnovers and giving away penalties undermined any recovery, and we were lucky not to have Burgess binned as well as Farrell.

I thought that Michael Lynagh did well post-match to appear gracious in victory. He would make a good politician.

The knockout stages beckon, but not for England. Of the Northern Hemisphere teams I'm not sure that an injury-depleted Welsh side can go any further than the quarter final, but Ireland or France (depending on which French side turn up, obviously) could go all the way to the final, although it's hard to see past New Zealand making it two in a row.

Master
    England lost to Wales because, with time to spare, they made a schoolboy error. Their rolling maul turned towards the touchline, instead of away from it, and was pushed into touch.

England lost to Australia because, like schoolboys, they didn't learn. Throughout the game, they didn't adapt to Australia's tactics. So, they were penalised five times - by a referee who is renowned for wanting straight scrums - for being 'turned in'. They lost possession time after time when Australia used the same 3-on-1 technique to turn the ball over. They kicked to no effect, other than to give possession to Australia.

For years to come, England - Australia 2015 will be shown as a training film: 'How to play like dummies and be sure to be beaten'.
    Last edited by Tinker; 4th October 2015 at 07:49.

Master
    I don't know how many times Lancaster sent England's Water Boy - Mike Catt - onto the field with instructions. But, plainly, it either wasn't enough or they were the wrong ones.

Lancaster's failure to direct this game should cost him his job.

England were outplayed in every aspect of the game, and like Lancaster's tactics and decision making they were naive in both games.
    I don't think Lancaster should be sacked as he should resign before it gets to that.
    Last edited by bonzo697; 4th October 2015 at 11:37.

Master
    Well, I never thought England were good enough to win the RWC, but I had certainly expected them to get into the QF, and if they had won the pool even the SF. I hate it when England lose, but the results against Wales and Australia were the right results. Today I am just feeling sad, flat and deflated.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    As a Wales fan, the result is good for us. I do feel the tournament is a bit poorer for not having them in it, but England just weren't good enough for long enough the last two games unfortunately.

I really hope the RFU don't axe Lancaster, he doesn't deserve that.

The crowd booing and leaving early was a poor show as well.

Aus did look good, it has to be said.

I struggle to agree with the idea that Lancaster should stay on.

Ive been a big fan of his and how he wanted to play to start with but that seems to have slowly changed. Despite some big wins over Southern Hemisphere nations they haven't translated to World Cup success.

Again in in the six nations some good performances but no championships.

Yes Australia were were the better team but England didn't play to their ability. You can lay the blame with the players but I don't think the management has encouraged it this World Cup.

Decisions like moving your most skilled ball player to the wing from the midfield are laughable. Negative selection policy in terms of the type of game we wanted to play. If anyone can tell me what Barrit actually did this World Cup I'd be interested. Leaving out your most attacking world class scrum half in Danny Care for a premiership player like Wigglesworth....

All makes me think that Lancaster is done as a leader and was scared to make the big calls this World Cup.

Also crowd booing and leaving was a disgrace. No matter what these guys put their best into it and it just wasn't good enough. That's not an excuse to behave like that as fans!

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    That's that, then.

England asked questions, but Australia had the answers. And when Australia asked the questions, England came up short. Foley's tries were superb, exposing England brilliantly. Anthony Watson's try was a lovely piece of opportunism as well.

Anybody who thinks that Joe Lauchbury was Man of the Match must have been watching a different game.

The introduction of George Ford seemed to spark England into life, but the old problems of losing turnovers and giving away penalties undermined any recovery, and we were lucky not to have Burgess binned as well as Farrell.

I thought that Michael Lynagh did well post-match to appear gracious in victory. He would make a good politician.

The knockout stages beckon, but not for England. Of the Northern Hemisphere teams I'm not sure that an injury-depleted Welsh side can go any further than the quarter final, but Ireland or France (depending on which French side turn up, obviously) could go all the way to the final, although it's hard to see past New Zealand making it two in a row.
    Excellent post. I agree with all of it. Obviously I'd like to see Wales progress, but I feel the best hopes for a Northern Hemisphere win lie with Ireland as they have the fewest injuries, more strength in depth and far better coach than France have.

As a passionate and proud Welshman I'm obviously pleased that we are through to the 1/4 finals. There's no gloating from me though as I'd much rather we had both beaten Aus and both progressed.

Fair play to Aus though, they looked dangerous and will take some beating.

England just came up a little short. They have the core of a good team and they will be devastated to have gone out early. I know the genuine English supporters will stick behind them. There will be a lot of fallout in the media and, as usual, much of it will be venomous and poorly directed.

I think Lancaster will probably be released which is a shame. He's clearly (IMO) a man of great integrity and principle. Similarly Robshaw. They will bear the brunt of the flak. Both were honest and reflective in defeat I thought.

jeff

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar
    The fans leaving was the saddest bit for me

As a neutral, it was disappointing that it wasn't as close/good as it was predicted to be. Commentating was as 'entertaining' as ever though
    Respect the past, live the present, protect the future

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    That's that, then.

I agree with that ...good summary. It still bloody hurts this morning though.

The last time I felt so bad after a sporting occasion was when West Ham lost the 1976 Cup Winners Cup final.

I didn't understand how the MOTM is selected so I went to the net and found:

• Who will be the MasterCard Man of the Match?

We want you to choose the MasterCard Man of the Match! There are two ways to cast your vote during each match of Rugby World Cup 2015:

Vote here
      • Come back when voting starts at the 64 minute mark
      • Place your vote before voting ends at the 74 minute mark
      • Vote once per match
      and

• Man of the Match system a travesty

But no, World Rugby have to have World Audio Team commentators select three players with a full twenty minutes still to be played in the match so people can vote during a thirteen minute period from the 62nd to the 75th minute of the game via various social media portals.

Might there be a few Aussies, Welsh, Scots...I could go on...with a sense of humour out there on the social media...à la the Tories and the election of Jeremy Corbyn?
    Last edited by PickleB; 4th October 2015 at 14:03. Reason: add JC election reference

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    It still bloody hurts this morning though.
    crikey!, what did you lose as a bet??!! :-)