closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vulcans last tour.

Vulcans last tour.

This seems to be details of the Vulcans last flights (round country trip). If anyone comes across times could you post please. I am interested in seeing it at Warton as that is closest point to me.

Initial plans for the routes are here:
    Northern Route (10th October):

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...U.k9_QAWQWnmes

Southern Route (11th October):

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zJoGZd3-Qg5U.k3u8IUZTll6M

Master
    I can more or less guarantee that on its Northern Route there will be a very slight detour to bring it over the village where I live. Only because an old boy that lives here was the Squadron Leader when the Vulcan was the First Strike weapon of choice. Fascinating listening to some of his story's!

It flew over a few weeks ago and he wasn't here to see it. He'll have made the call for certain for this weekend.

I'll post up the time on Saturday

Master
    I do believe its flying over both RAF Shawbury and Cosford on its northern return leg which pleases me greatly.
    Paul.

Looks to be going right over my house!

'Trouble' is I'll be diving in Lanzarote at the time!

Oh well, I've always enjoyed seeing it, but I guess the last time was my farewell.

Well done to all who returned the Vulcan to the sky and enabled another generation to marvel at it - Shame they can't do the same with a Concorde!

M.

Master
    is there any way to calculate what approx. time will they fly over Woodford?

I'm led to believe the times will be released tomorrow.

Being in doncaster I'll keep my eyes open,I'm bound to get a look

I'd normally be at home very, very close to Brize on a Sunday.... not this one though!

Looking to catch sight in N. Lincs. as the flight is provisionally routed only a few miles from me, but as I will only have a Canon compact for any photo opportunities I do hope they bring it over low :-)

A bit of throttle would be nice too, but I guess they'll be taking it steady.

Craftsman
    Gutted I'm over at Waddington for photos and a charity thing with the static Vulcan on Saturday when 558 is flying over my neck of the woods and then flys over Waddington on Sunday when I'm back home.

Craftsman
    The "Northern" route doesn't seem to be going very far north.

jim

It flew past my Shop during the Southport air show recently, and it is a thing of wonder! My ears are still ringing!!

MW

I went to its last public display last weekend... it was amazing...

Craftsman
    Has anyone seen any clear timings yet? I find the website fairly bloody aweful!

Assume these have yet to be released.. they must like to keep their loyal followers
    on their toes.

Master
    I'd like to know the take-off time. (as it only says +160min to Woodford)

Craftsman
    The website shows you how many minutes after takeoff until it arrives at each location point on the maps, but the actual takeoff time hasn't been released yet.
    Eg...it'll be at East Midlands Airport 180 minutes after take off.

Master
    Has anyone got the actual take off time yet?

Id seen 1.00pm mentioned somewhere...

The approximate timings are a little odd. East Midlands Airport being 180 minutes, Rolls Royce Derby 190 minutes and Derby outbound at 200 minutes.....on a good day I can drive it quicker than that

Saw it over Warton at 2.55. Did one pass then disappeared toward Manchester. Goodbye.

Master
    Blog Entries
    RAF Cosford at 15:30. 😎

I was within .5 of a mile of it at Middleton St. George,when it went past at 13.35. It was too low to see apart from between the houses.

Journeyman

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by brigant View Post
    This seems to be details of the Vulcans last flights (round country trip). If anyone comes across times could you post please. I am interested in seeing it at Warton as that is closest point to me.[U
    Thanks for posting this. I hope to see it on its southern tour tomorrow (assuming for the moment that it'll have a similar 1pm take-off time but will keep an eye on the website and twitter updates - first useful thing for Twitter I've come across...)

Was clay shooting this morning and this came into view

Crap photo I know but had to make sure the gun was safe before I got the phone out. Awesome sight, wonder how much lead it would need:)

Master
    Watched it fly over Clitheroe, couple of turns , looked fantastic , BUT the wind blew all the sound away. Which in itself spoilt it for me.

Saw (and heard) it today in Scotland - I had a tear in my eye knowing that's it for the old girl.

Cheers,

MarkC

Journeyman
    Saw the static one at duxford recently. Sad that we'll never see these fly again. An amazing piece of engineering. Amazing how a piece of metal can bring out so much emotion

By sheer luck I saw it as it as it cruised north, fairly low, over Blyton, N.Lincs in the early afternoon. Never did find out when it was scheduled to take-off from Doncaster :-(

No pictures, but very happy to have seen it. Magnificent bit of kit :-)

I drove to Harrogate earlier today and noticed lots of people with cameras in lay-bys and bridges on the A64.

My wife asked why the people were out, I said the Vulcan was flying past soon, she saw it from the car, I didn't.

Fortunately, living close to Elvington, I've seen it flying close a few times and it's always impressive.

Master
    I have also seen a take off time of 1pm quoted - not on the website but on a kent newspaper site ;
    http://www.kentonline.co.uk/maidston...r-pupil-44514/

The Vulcan website says it will pass over Dunsfold at + 80 mins, so I'm going to pedal down to the Surrey Hills from Carshalton and see it there..
    I saw it at Biggin Hill airshow a few years back & it was amazing to see & hear it & I'm not a plane buff..

I was also on my bike at the Shoreham airshow recently - so I hope today goes a lot better....

Master
    Take off time for today is scheduled at 1250, last I saw.

So, ETA at Dunsfold would be 1410.

Should pass within a few hundred metres of our house this afternoon, think we have a few people coming round to have a final look at the old girl.

Craftsman
    You think it'll follow the Kent coast around? I live in Deal pretty much half way between Manston and Dover along the coast and don't know whether to go to the beach or inland!

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Watched it fly over Clitheroe, couple of turns , looked fantastic , BUT the wind blew all the sound away. Which in itself spoilt it for me.
    It was flying on a low throttle (probably to save fuel), quite sedate. I would have liked to hear the full thrust but not to be.

Craftsman
    Nope it didn't follow the coast, it flew over a load of empty fields instead.

I think I heard it though. Maybe.

Master
    Overhead at Rutland Water.

Bless the old girl!

Last edited by Tooks; 11th October 2015 at 17:38.

Journeyman
    psBruntingthorpe
    poor pics as i only took my iphone

[/

Last edited by Dunny; 11th October 2015 at 17:28.

Great pictures Tooks - how high a definition are they?
    Thinking i need a new screensaver!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swisstony View Post
    Great pictures Tooks - how high a definition are they?
    Thinking i need a new screensaver!
    They're not cropped much, so pretty high?

All sizes are freely downloadable from my Flickr page, help yourself!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tookeyi/
    Last edited by Tooks; 11th October 2015 at 18:35.

Master
    saw it quite by accident for the first time while clay pigeon shooting about 1pm just outside of kimbolton.what a lovely iconic aircraft..made my afternoon..

It passed very low over our garden this afternoon (Hampshire, just outside of Andover). I was painting a bedroom door inside and stopped for a rest and to gulp in some fresh air at the window when it roared straight past! Very impressive sight and most unexpected.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Overhead at Rutland Water.
    Bless the old girl!
    Better view than I had - where did you get those views?
    I was on the dam - thought she might have done a bit more of a run for the hundreds who had turned out.
    I agree disappointingly quiet...
    ...nevertheless I'm happy to have made the effort.
    First saw a Vulcan at Biggin Hill when it 'trashed' the runway doing a near vertical climb. The last time was at Waddington in 2013 at what, it appears, to be the last RAF airshow there.

Old age gets us all in the end.

Great pix BTW.

Stolen from Facebook

Taken yesterday.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by langtoft lad View Post
    Better view than I had - where did you get those views?
    I was on the dam - thought she might have done a bit more of a run for the hundreds who had turned out.
    I agree disappointingly quiet...
    ...nevertheless I'm happy to have made the effort.
    First saw a Vulcan at Biggin Hill when it 'trashed' the runway doing a near vertical climb. The last time was at Waddington in 2013 at what, it appears, to be the last RAF airshow there.

Old age gets us all in the end.

Great pix BTW.
    I was standing at Whitwell, by the Rutland Belle mooring. I was expecting it to go closer to you guys on the dam, so I could get side on shots, but it came right over me.

I used to watch the Vulcan as a kid at Stoughton Aerodrome (Leicester Airshow) and I was always stunned by the noise of the Vulcan (when it used to do full on aerobatics and full throttle) but also the 'starfighter' which used to arrive over the field before its sound!

Quote Originally Posted by Barton Red View Post
    Was clay shooting this morning and this came into view

Crap photo I know but had to make sure the gun was safe before I got the phone out. Awesome sight, wonder how much lead it would need:)
    Zoom in and there appears to be a ghost vulcan flying beside it - maybe wonder woman?

Journeyman
    Went to watch at wellesbourne, unfortunately she was running 15mins early,, so I caught her leaving only. Still a majestic sight!

Journeyman
    Saw it over Bristol on Sunday - it circled around the city a few times, almost like it didn't want to go. Brought a tear to my eye (I'm soft like that).

Goodbye and thanks for keeping us safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie View Post

Goodbye and thanks for keeping us safe.
    A beautiful aeroplane, but also one that was designed as a weapon of mass destruction. You know, to drop bombs on people, including women and children. The fact that it no longer serves a purpose is a good thing, really.

We can feel this with one half of our brains, while feeling sad with the other half at the passing of an icon of British technology and history, because life is complicated.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    A beautiful aeroplane, but also one that was designed as a weapon of mass destruction. You know, to drop bombs on people, including women and children. The fact that it no longer serves a purpose is a good thing, really.

We can feel this with one half of our brains, while feeling sad with the other half at the passing of an icon of British technology and history, because life is complicated.

You miss my point. Since the end of the Cold War the Russians have admitted that the Vulcan was the one weapon system (before ICBMs) that they were scared of. So having lived through those frightening times and remembering how close we once came to a Hot War yeah, it did keep us safe. Because of its threat.

Master
    Two of mine

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post

The Vulcan bomber was in service to deter the threat to the UK and NATO from the USSR. We were ready to go 24/7 if the UK was attacked. The queen of the sky was and is a formidable aircraft and those of us who were fortunate enough to be associated with her remember those days with a measure of pride.

230 OCU, 35 SQN COTTESMORE, 35 SQN AKROTIRI, 101 SQN WADDINGTON

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie View Post
    You miss my point.
    No, I don't. It's strange that people abominate guns, which kill one person at a time, but celebrate bombers, which are designed to kill millions. Psychology's a funny thing.

The Vulcan was a beautiful aircraft, even though rapidly obsoleted by advances in mass destruction technology, but never forget it was an instrument of death.