closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Patek... to Nautilus or not

Patek... to Nautilus or not

I may be mad, but considering selling a chunk of the collection and buying a nautilus... I would miss my vintage subs... but then will I enjoy the variation and they hold their value just as well if not better?

Why not get the Glashutte Seventies which is similar, try that and keep your various Rolex?

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/glashutt...atch-hands-on/

I understand the Glashutte movements can take some stick like a Rolex and don't have a sticking date wheel issue. Also, on another forum, I've read quite a few QC issues with Pee Pee lately
    Last edited by Tony-GB; 10th October 2015 at 16:26.

May be or may be not- hard to say.
    More unsure about holding the value.
    You will never know till you try.
    If have the itch,scratch it.

Banned
    Do it.

On an objective basis the Sub is the best watch in the world but until you try the dark side you won't know that.

Master
    I love my 5711 but I wouldn't sell anything I was going to miss, especially vintage. I know I'd just end up buying back whatever I sold. And likely at a premium...

Master
    How about this - let a bunch of watch mad strangers on an internet forum make the decision for you? After all, it's only ££££££££.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
    Why not get the Glashutte Seventies which is similar, try that and keep your various Rolex?
    Without wishing to be mean to any proud owners, it's no Nautilus. If that's what the OP wants, there are no real substitutes, only the AP15202 springs to mind. The VC overseas is probably one of the few options that might be distracting enough as a more affordable (relatively speaking) used buy.

Craftsman
    Simple - do it!

On a related note do these hold their money as well as I understand they do, or is that just perception?

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    How about this - let a bunch of watch mad strangers on an internet forum make the decision for you? After all, it's only ££££££££.
    To be fair, this should be posted for every one of these threads - which would be several times a day.

To Nautilus or not to Nautilus?

To Nautilus.

A mate had a roman numeralled Nautilus, no complications, and it was simply lovely. Very 70s. But very fine.

I have two PP Nautilus - a Blue Black faced 5980 Chronograph and a Grey Dial faced 5726 Annual Calendar. Beautiful watches which are practical for swimming etc.
    My only concern is that it is very easy to mark/scratch the polished bevel edges and brushed steel bevel face. I am very careful when wearing them but even so my 5726 which I have been wearing for the last two weeks has picked up some bevel scuffs etc.

Interesting, a chap who owns 2 Patek Phillipe wristwatches but calls the dials "faces"

What is the world coming too?

Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    I have two PP Nautilus - a Blue Black faced 5980 Chronograph and a Grey Dial faced 5726 Annual Calendar. Beautiful watches which are practical for swimming etc.
    My only concern is that it is very easy to mark/scratch the polished bevel edges and brushed steel bevel face. I am very careful when wearing them but even so my 5726 which I have been wearing for the last two weeks has picked up some bevel scuffs etc.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr View Post
    Interesting, a chap who owns 2 Patek Phillipe wristwatches
    He doesn't own them, he merely takes care of them for the next generation...

YES !!! You won't regret it ....still wear a Rolex most days, but putting this on is always special. Some pics to help you....

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RS24 View Post
    I may be mad, but considering selling a chunk of the collection and buying a nautilus... I would miss my vintage subs... but then will I enjoy the variation and they hold their value just as well if not better?
    I'm in a similar train of thought, but have no experience on PP watches. I'm not sure if a Nautilus will hold its value, compared to a bunch of Vintage Sub,s.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post

That's the money shot, right there!

On a somewhat related note, is it foolish to spend crazy money on a watch purely for the back view?

I love the nautilus and I would love to get one in the future, but personally I wouldn't sell vintage subs to get one. I would try to fund it differently.

Quote Originally Posted by markosgr28 View Post
    I love the nautilus and I would love to get one in the future, but personally I wouldn't sell vintage subs to get one. I would try to fund it differently.
    Love the 5711 and 5712. Am seriously thinking about one also really like the WG sky-dweller though. appreciate they are completely different but there is so much choice at that budget it becomes really difficult.

Think the 5712 just nudges it for me.

I would like to compromise :)

The 5711A dial with the 240 micro movement :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    Do it.

On an objective basis the Sub is the best watch in the world but until you try the dark side you won't know that.
    I would say that is a subjective opinion.

Master
    The Nautilus is a watch that I would be prepared to give up rather a lot for - unfortunately I will have to get a bit richer before I could afford one.

Definitely though, can't think of anything from Rolex that I'd take over the PP.

Quote Originally Posted by JeremyO View Post
    I would say that is a subjective opinion.
    Indeed.

Fabulous watches, I sold a lot of my collection to buy mine and have no regrets. However, it's not the perfect solution by any means and for less money (meaning you could keep a vintage Rolex or two) the AP Royal Oak does near as dammit as good a job whilst being possibly better looking IMHO. And for even less, the VC overseas range is worth a look... Wonderful quality and design, a 'holy trinity' sports watch for the price of a modern Submariner.

Just a shame they are so so expensive... perhaps should consider something other than a nautilus.

This thread is doing nothing to help my patience in my quest for a nautilus.

Quote Originally Posted by RS24 View Post
    Just a shame they are so so expensive... perhaps should consider something other than a nautilus.
    you need one these. coming soon to SC...