closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rugby World Cup - A Football Fan's View

Rugby World Cup - A Football Fan's View

First up I admit I'm a football fan through and through. Always have been as a player and a fan.

I like to think of myself also as patriotic, especially when it comes to sport, so I like to try to watch our teams in whatever sport we play especially at major tournaments.

So I've tried, Lord help me I've tried, to watch some of the rugby. I just don't get it. What an utterly pointless and boring sport.

Huge dudes, some of which are so fat they can hardly be classed as sportsmen, running into each other or falling on top of the ball when often even I can see there's space to progress forward and I know nowt about it. And as for the scrum - can there be a more pointless exercise in any sport.

I watched the Scotland game yesterday, a game a pundit described as "outstanding", and I dozed off a couple of times. Outstanding? Do me a favour, it was a huge steaming pile of nowt. No skill, no flair, no creativity. Just big blokes pushing each other around or rolling about on the floor.

Oh, and then there's the penalties given for technical things that only the ref out of 50,000 people can see. What's that about? How can that be a spectator sport? And if the coaches have to sit in TV rooms to see what's going on then I think I have a very valid point.

For me it's a completely shite game. And I have come to a conclusion about it. I think it's a game you have to play. Not watch it, play it.

Let the flaming begin.

Master
    So I've tried, Lord help me I've tried, to watch England play football. I just don't get it. What an utterly pointless and boring sport.

Big girls, some of which are so fragile they can hardly be classed as sportsmen, running into each other or falling over when often even I can see there's no reason.

I watched the England game the other day, a game a pundit described as "pretty good", and I dozed off a couple of times. Do me a favour, it was a huge steaming pile of nowt. No skill, no flair, no creativity. Just blokes hoofing a ball around or rolling about on the floor.

Oh, and then there's the penalties given for swan dives and play acting that 50,000 people can see but the ref can't. What's that about? How can that be a spectator sport? And even the coaches behave like spoiled five year olds.

For me it's a completely shite game. And I have come to a conclusion about it. I think it's a game you have to play. Not watch it, play it.

;-)
    Last edited by benny.c; 11th October 2015 at 23:06.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    First up I admit I'm a football fan through and through. Always have been as a player and a fan.

I like to think of myself also as patriotic, especially when it comes to sport, so I like to try to watch our teams in whatever sport we play especially at major tournaments.

So I've tried, Lord help me I've tried, to watch some of the rugby. I just don't get it. What an utterly pointless and boring sport.

Huge dudes, some of which are so fat they can hardly be classed as sportsmen, running into each other or falling on top of the ball when often even I can see there's space to progress forward and I know nowt about it. And as for the scrum - can there be a more pointless exercise in any sport.

I watched the Scotland game yesterday, a game a pundit described as "outstanding", and I dozed off a couple of times. Outstanding? Do me a favour, it was a huge steaming pile of nowt. No skill, no flair, no creativity. Just big blokes pushing each other around or rolling about on the floor.

Oh, and then there's the penalties given for technical things that only the ref out of 50,000 people can see. What's that about? How can that be a spectator sport? And if the coaches have to sit in TV rooms to see what's going on then I think I have a very valid point.

Let the flaming begin.
    Are you drunk? You don't have to like it, but you're talking total shite.

Meh, medium trolling...

Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    So I've tried, Lord help me I've tried, to watch England play football. I just don't get it. What an utterly pointless and boring sport.

Big girls, some of which are so fragile they can hardly be classed as sportsmen, running into each other or falling over when often even I can see there's no reason.

Oh, and then there's the penalties given for swan dives and play acting that 50,000 people can see but the ref can't. What's that about? How can that be a spectator sport? And even the coaches behave like spoiled five year olds.

;-)
    An excellent reply. One I couldn't top.

Master
    I agree! Well said. During the USA / Japan match earlier I was thinking how enjoyable a game rugby is in comparison to football, and how the rugby world cup in general has shown up footballers as the whining, over-indulged yobs they almost all are.

And as a former resident of Fulham, don’t get me started on the fans.

Master
    Blog Entries

I watched the England game the other day, a game a pundit described as "pretty good", and I dozed off a couple of times. Do me a favour, it was a huge steaming pile of nowt. No skill, no flair, no creativity. Just blokes hoofing a ball around or rolling about on the floor.

;-)
    Absolute class response. Well done that fella.

As for me I am a complete football nut but boy can football players (don't make me larf) learn from rugby in many respects.

Gone are days when play was exciting and about winning. Nowadays it's about thick uneducated scum bags that would be a weekend lock up for the local constabularies walking about a pitch as though they're carrying rolls of carpet under each arm and following over to get one up on their scummy mates on the other side. Gee. That's sport?!?!

I'm converted. Rugby is a far better sport with subtleties and power plays that football players couldn't cope with - just like sums.

Bring on the Quarter finals for the world's best teams to show their worth.
    Last edited by Jimmcb; 11th October 2015 at 23:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    I agree! Well said. During the USA / Japan match earlier I was thinking how enjoyable a game rugby is in comparison to football, and how the rugby world cup in general has shown up footballers as the whining, over-indulged yobs they almost all are.

And as a former resident of Fulham, don’t get me started on the fans.
    There is no answer to top Benny' s..you knew you would be flamed OP as you framed your question/statement and you have been...I couldn't agree more with Benny I've never been a football fan and never will be....

im only a light rugby viewer but live in SW where soccer is hardly mentioned and Rugby is king........as it goes I'd watch motorcycles over anything else but out of preference Rugby over soccer for sure...

But apart from a few clowns who have latched on to England...(I guess they got fed up waiting for England football to win anything significant so they were the ones who booed and left Twickers last week) the respect and sportsmanship is a world apart...

Also did you see how everyone was drinking at Ireland game ...yet it won't end up in a fight between fans either....the players respect those infringements (that you can't see either) totally and without intimidating the referee even when they tower over them....
    Last edited by lordloz; 11th October 2015 at 23:37.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lordloz View Post
    There is no answer to top Benny' s..you knew you would be flamed OP as you framed your question/statement and you have been...I couldn't agree more with Benny I've never been a football fan and never will be....

im only a light rugby viewer but live in SW where soccer is hardly mentioned and Rugby is king........as it goes I'd watch motorcycles over anything else but out of preference Rugby over soccer for sure...

But apart from a few clowns who have latched to England...(I guess they got fed up waiting for England football to win anything significant so they booed and left Twickers last week) the respect and sportsmanship is a world apart...

Also did you see how everyone was drinking at Ireland game ...yet it won't end up in a fight between fans either....the players respect those infringements (that you can't see either) totally and without intimidating the referee even when they tower over them....
    Ahh now sir. You make a point iro refs. It's the one common denominator between both. Refs that think they're bigger than the match. Sadly the small man syndrome for rugby refs is huge. It's as though they want to feel controversial and get noticed otherwise who would see them.

Refs are the new celebs in sport.

Some great responses, thanks. But as for being a troll Westy, really? Surely I'm allowed to have a view, as are all of you.

To all rugby fans here, I hope you enjoy the rest of your tournament, I really do.

I'll look forward to Euro 2016 in France - even with all the overpaid, petulant, diving whiners that will present us with. And I agree with that view of some of those playing today and I long for a return to the days when football was a game for harder men than it is now but it'll never happen unfortunately.

Craftsman
    I can take or leave both rugby and football. Both sports have their exciting games, as well as tedious games. The one thing about rugby that impresses me is the respect the players show for the referee, rather than crowding around him trying to get opponents sent off.

As for either sport being boring, well, I'm a big F1 fan...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    Are you drunk?
    Many of the membership seem to be these days...

But, seeing as we're on the subject, I did notice the spectators can drink during a game. Something which can't be said for those watching international football.

Master
    As a Welshman, and a former player of little talent but large enthusiasm, I have to agree with a lot that has been said here. My big gripe with top level Rugby is that the constant tinkering with the rules means that I am continually mystified with the referee's decisions (as, I suspect, are many of the players) which tends to spoil my enjoyment. On a local level I am disappointed that the fun seems to have been drained from the game by the constant drive for 'professionalism' even at a junior level. Years ago we played rugby for fun... a few beers and the cameraderie but that seems to have largely disappeared these days.

Rob

I love watching football and I love watching Rugby - I used to play Rugby to a good standard too.

They are two completely different spectacles. To enjoy Rugby I do think you need a good understanding of the rules of the game otherwise it can look a bit stop start and confusing.

The Scotland game at the weekend was superb - thoroughly enjoyable.

The England game was a bit dull as given they're already out of the World Cup and the opposition were poor there was never going to be the suspense

The England (football) Euro qualifier was as dull as dish water and the players looked pretty non fussed about it too.

However to say that "some of which are so fat they can hardly be classed as sportsmen," does seem to be a deliberately inflammatory remark.

Quote Originally Posted by Bootsy View Post
    However to say that "some of which are so fat they can hardly be classed as sportsmen," does seem to be a deliberately inflammatory remark.
    Especially when you consider that almost any prop at the world cup can outrun anyone here on a 100m sprint or a 5 story high flight of stairs...

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post

Huge dude, so fat can hardly be classed as sportsmen.

No skill, no flair, no creativity.
    You'd better hope Sam Allardyce doesn't achieve his ambition of becoming England football manager, as you've described him very well.
    If ever there was an example of the difference between Rugby and Football it's him. Overpaid, underachieving and totally deluded by his own hype.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    Ahh now sir. You make a point iro refs. It's the one common denominator between both. Refs that think they're bigger than the match. Sadly the small man syndrome for rugby refs is huge. It's as though they want to feel controversial and get noticed otherwise who would see them.

Refs are the new celebs in sport.
    I don't know if I heard it right - but following Hogg's obvious dive in the Scotland v. South Africa match at St. James' Park, I thought I heard Nigel Owens say "Oi! We don't do that in this game! If you want to carry on like that, come back here when Newcastle Utd are playing!"
    Even if he didn't say it - he could have. Or should have.
    Last edited by unclealec; 12th October 2015 at 10:52.

He did say something like that and added 'you'd better come back in two weeks'

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    I don't know if I heard it right - but following Hogg's obvious dive in the Scotland v. South Africa match, I thought I heard Nigel Owens say "Oi! We don't do that in this game! If you want to carry on like that, come back here when Newcastle Utd are playing!"
    Even if he didn't say it - he could have. Or should have.
    Oh Hogg probably did.

Oh Owens probably did too.

One infringement and one back chatting mouthy ref a match doth not make.

Let they who are without cast the first big Boulder.

Enjoy the quarter finals Uncle A. Hope you're still gonna watch, and shout loud especially for the 3 Home Nations that got through and managed to win their important group games. Shame England couldn't get there as that would've been really nice to see all 4 especially as they were the host nation. Maybe next time for them when all 4 will do it.

Jim

England could always have tried playing better- that might have done it.
    It would be nice to see another Northern hemisphere team lift the WWE Cup.
    So come on (in this order please)-
    Ireland (who I think have the best chance out of the three)
    Wales (who would have had the best chance bar injury)
    Scotland (who I would love to see win but haven't a cat in Hell's chance)
    And, er, ......
    can I apply to transfer France to the Southern hemisphere for a few weeks?
    Last edited by unclealec; 12th October 2015 at 11:17.

I think Ireland's injury list just got as bad as Wales'. O'Mahony definitely out and O'Connell almost certainly out, with Sexton not looking too clever either. And O'Brien probably banned. I think that does put a bit of a dent in their chances tbh.

8.2% of Premiere League matches end Nil-Nil.

Source: http://www.bettingexpert.com/blog/ho...aw-in-football

Rugby Premiership, 0%.

As a neutral I find Rugby a more exciting game to watch.

Why feel the need to justify why you don't like/get a sport?

I never understand this.

I like football. Nothing else. Have no interest in rugby, cricket, golf, athletics. But many people do and many of those will also dislike football.

And to be fair, even as a big football fan - I doubt anyone could talk up the England football team's performances for MANY a year.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    England could always have tried playing better- that might have done it.
    It would be nice to see another Northern hemisphere team lift the WWE Cup.
    So come on (in this order please)-
    Ireland (who I think have the best chance out of the three)
    Wales (who would have had the best chance bar injury)
    Scotland (who I would love to see win but haven't a cat in Hell's chance)
    And, er, ......
    can I apply to transfer France to the Southern hemisphere for a few weeks?
    Spot on Uncle A, I couldn't agree more.

Scotland have surprised everyone and done FAR better than expected. But then the 'local' press and media didn't big them up like other country's press and media to have them think they could actually win it.

Sadly i think some of those country's players who were told publicly they are good by our learned friends in the Red Tops et al, actually started to believe their own history! Eh no and boy were they found out BIG TIME.

Even more worrying though is when a whole nation is completely duped and starts to believe its possible a win might happen when in actual fact the team they are pinning that on are no more better than just average. Maybe though the press are more far sighted as nothing sells papers better than good old bad news when abject failure like we have seen takes place. And who is laughing? Yes, the story writers. Sports minded people don't laugh (well maybe just a bit at the demise of the bigged) they just sense the feelings of dejection and rejection by the followers.

Lets look forward to a great spectacle in the Quarter Finals with exciting and tactically aware rugby from good teams whose players really are good; that are lead well by real captains on the pitch, and coached by quality people who make them even better.

what say you Uncle Alec??

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    Spot on Uncle A, I couldn't agree more.

Scotland have surprised everyone and done FAR better than expected. But then the 'local' press and media didn't big them up like other country's press and media to have them think they could actually win it.
    Are you for real?
    The only thing that really surprised everyone in that pool was the outstanding performance of Japan. And unfortunately for them the only match they failed to turn up at was against Scotland. Which makes them the only nation to ever record 3 wins in the pool stages and still fail to progress in the history of the World Cup.

Bar this, everyone and his dog though that Scotland would qualify as second in the pool. And if they had been a bit smarter about the sort of rugby they played against Samoa their qualification would never had been in doubt after an excellent game against Japan.

Rugby for me every time, but we do have issues. First, the game is so complex - even international players look at the ref when there's a penalty at scrum time, because pretty much everyone is at it all the time, and pens really can go either way in lots of instances.

But, more importantly, the ball is in play for so little time now (I think it averages a good bit under 30 minutes in the 80), which is why League fans call Union 'kick and clap.' As a result players are huge now - 18 stone backs are far from from uncommon - and the hits are colossal. As a result concussion and long term brain injury - along with skeletal and serious soft tissue injuries - are already a huge problem, and can only get worse. The rules need to be changed so that the ball is in play much more, so the big lads get run off their feet. This will happen, because it has to, and the game will become better to watch - as well as safer - I'm sure.

Despite it all RU is still a fantastic sport culturally: fans all sit together, we have a laugh and a beer afterwards, the players call the ref sir (although there's far too much backchat now) and if a player feigns injury everyone, ref, fans and players on both sides, usually make it clear that such behaviour isn't tolerated.

Rugby is also tactically interesting - with lots of battles/individual skills around scrums, line-outs, restarts, rucks, mauls etc - but I admit they do take a bit of picking up.....

I have to agree with the OP, to me Rugby is an awful spectator sport. It seems like just a load of men jumping on each other or constantly hoofing the ball. Half the game is spent with the ball out of play and games are mainly won by who kicks the most penalties, which is a bit like deciding a football game according to which team does the best goal kicks. The reasons for these Penalty decisions are also entirely incomprehensible.

Whilst there's a lot to dislike about football and those who play it, at least the skill involved is fully visible to the people watching.

The other major problem with the Rugby World Cup is the lack of decent teams meaning the majority of games are utterly meaningless and / or predictable, England v Uruguay being the perfect example. Image if the England Football Team had to play teams like San Marino and Andorra in the World Cup finals, what a terrible tournament that would be!

Upsets by underdogs are also very rare in Rugby but in football you know there's almost always an outside chance that the smaller team could win.

Rugby 7s is a lot better to watch but it's a bit too easy to score a try. Maybe reducing the team sizes from 15 down to 10 would make Rugby better to watch?

Anyway my favourite sport is Formula One so I guess I can't really talk (puts tin hat on)!
    Last edited by watchcollector1; 12th October 2015 at 13:20.

Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    I have to agree with the OP, to me Rugby is an awful spectator sport.
    We're clearly in the minority here it's nice to know my views aren't alone. I've just had a conversation in the canteen at work about the RWC and every bloke in there said exactly the same as me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bootsy View Post
    "some of which are so fat they can hardly be classed as sportsmen," does seem to be a deliberately inflammatory remark.
    It was never a deliberately inflammatory remark. Who do you think I was trying to inflame? Some of them were fat, that's just fact.

Hmmm.

90 minutes of football played by over-paid prima donnas and a nil nil score? 90 minutes of my life I'll not get back. And the singing? Christ on a bike.

BUT... I was lucky enough to go to watch Arsenal at home last season and "I got it". The skill and pace became obvious, and I enjoyed it, even though it was nil nil! The singing was still irritating.

David - recommend you go to a big game and see if it changes your mind. TV just doesn't do it justice.

Quote Originally Posted by simoscribbler View Post
    Rugby for me every time, but we do have issues. First, the game is so complex - even international players look at the ref when there's a penalty at scrum time, because pretty much everyone is at it all the time, and pens really can go either way in lots of instances.
    Do you think it's time to unify the two codes? As a global sport a unified league/union Rugby would surely be able to compete better than the two versions we currently have.

Journeyman
    I presume you have all viewed this he was lucky he nearly lost his ear

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RNOZVS_L2k

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Do you think it's time to unify the two codes? As a global sport a unified league/union Rugby would surely be able to compete better than the two versions we currently have.
    Dont think we need to do that, but I do expect RU to have more of an emphasis on playing with ball in hand, and not so much on technical/power oriented phases. Obviously RU isn't the only sport facing issues around head injuries, but no one will let their kids play if we don't get on top of this soon. So the rules will change, and as quickly as the Blazers can manage...

Master
    To get a true appreciation of a sport, you only need to observe the fans.

Never in any game of rugby, at any level, have they had to separate fans into different seating areas or pubs around the stadiums

The OP, being a football fan will know full well that if this were the case in football, it would result in people being beaten sensless, knifed, glassed and even murdered every weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Barryboy View Post
    As a Welshman, and a former player of little talent but large enthusiasm, I have to agree with a lot that has been said here. My big gripe with top level Rugby is that the constant tinkering with the rules means that I am continually mystified with the referee's decisions (as, I suspect, are many of the players) which tends to spoil my enjoyment. On a local level I am disappointed that the fun seems to have been drained from the game by the constant drive for 'professionalism' even at a junior level. Years ago we played rugby for fun... a few beers and the cameraderie but that seems to have largely disappeared these days.

Rob
    Totally agree with this. ^^^
    As a player who started his 19th senior season and who is finally old enough to play his first vets game this year; I agree that the constant rule changes have made the game a pretty poor spectacle with very few on lookers having any idea on why a decision has been made, in fact I have found that whilst watching rugby with my old man (also an ex player), I now find myself spending more time explaining why a penalty has been given than actually watching the game and more importantly drinking beer...

The fun side / ethos of the game is being slowly eroded, its all protein shakes and supplements now, when I started playing the only nourishment you needed was 8 pints of Guinness and a curry after the game. Taking back to the ref is becoming common place which is really disappointing to see and I have even recently been involved in a brawl (all part of the forward game of course) when spectators have decided to leave the touchline and join in.

Players are getting huge even at the level I play at, the hits are bigger (or at least the seem that way to this old man) and the season is far to long, especially for the professionals, all in the name of money.

Even though I feel the game is changing and is not as much fun to watch or play as the game I fell in love with as a kid, its still 10 time better than football so there!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by clockwatcher View Post

Never in any game of rugby, at any level, have they had to separate fans into different seating areas or pubs around the stadiums.
    They don't have any segregation at ice dancing either.

I guess it is because it is a small minority sport compared to football.

I had a quick look at the figures and from what I can make out the attendances of the Aviva prem and Super league combined are about the same as football league one, the third tier of professional football in this country.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...sports_leagues

The OP, being a football fan will know full well that if this were the case in football, it would result in people being beaten sensless, knifed, glassed and even murdered every weekend
    It's true.

You just don't get that level of atmosphere at Rugby games.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Never in any game of rugby, at any level, have they had to separate fans into different seating areas or pubs around the stadiums

That's a pretty extreme (and outdated) generalisation about football fans. There's much more violence in Town Centres every Saturday night - does that make everyone who goes into a pub or nightclub a vicious thug?

Also if you've ever watched a football world cup game you'll notice that fans are dotted all around the stadium.

Yes it's a shame there's a minority of idiots but most football fans aren't like that at all. I've been to hundreds of football matches (including places like Millwall) and have probably only seen 1 or 2 isolated minor incidents (i.e. hand bags at dawn) and certainly nowhere near as bad as I've seen on a Saturday night.

There nothing like the atmosphere inside a football stadium - it's genuinely exciting - i.e. a million miles away from the atmosphere in a Rugby ground. Stadiums are safe places these days and family areas are good options if you don't appreciate the full on experience.

My impression of some rugby fans is that they find football distasteful (which I can understand to some extent) and cricket matches too long so by process of elimination they support a rugby team. It's nothing to do with Rugby being a better sport to watch than football. These fair weather Rugby fans don't have the the same passion or dedication that football fans have. I live in Northampton and it's not uncommon to see people in Tescos wearing a Saints shirt at the same time that a match is on TV.
    Last edited by watchcollector1; 12th October 2015 at 17:06.

No doubt the England football team will produce another scintillating 1-0 win tonight, and Roy will be telling everyone what a difficult place it is to get a result. Fortunately Wheeler Dealers is on so I won't have to endure it.

Master
    That's a pretty extreme (and outdated) generalisation about football fans. There's much more violence in Town Centres every Saturday night - does that make everyone who goes into a pub or nightclub a vicious thug?

Also if you've ever watched a football world cup game you'll notice that fans are dotted all around the stadium.
    Sorry, but you are living in dream land, and making an irrelevant comparison about town centre thugs. Get back to sport fans. Put the same football fans together and there would be chaos. I have seen lots of football crowd trouble when I used to watch it for a few seasons. Bricks thrown, bottles, glasses, chairs, you name it. I have never once seen any crowd trouble at a rugby match, ever.

Sorry, but you are living in dream land, and making an irrelevant comparison about town centre thugs. Get back to sport fans. Put the same football fans together and there would be chaos. I have seen lots of football crowd trouble when I used to watch it for a few seasons. Bricks thrown, bottles, glasses, chairs, you name it. I have never once seen any crowd trouble at a rugby match, ever.
    As a matter of interest, where did you go for the few seasons?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Rugby is good.

football is shite.

that is all.

regards

mike.

Master

Yes it's a shame there's a minority of idiots but most football fans aren't like that at all. I've been to hundreds of football matches (including places like Millwall) and have probably only seen 1 or 2 isolated minor incidents (i.e. hand bags at dawn) and certainly nowhere near as bad as I've seen on a Saturday night.

There nothing like the atmosphere inside a football stadium - it's genuinely exciting - i.e. a million miles away from the atmosphere in a Rugby ground. Stadiums are safe places these days and family areas are good options if you don't appreciate the full on experience.

My impression of some rugby fans is that they find football distasteful (which I can understand to some extent) and cricket matches too long so by process of elimination they support a rugby team. It's nothing to do with Rugby being a better sport to watch than football. These fair weather Rugby fans don't have the the same passion or dedication that football fans have. I live in Northampton and it's not uncommon to see people in Tescos wearing a Saints shirt at the same time that a match is on TV.
    This is absolute Rubbish. I'm neither a football or rugby supporter so there is no bias either way for me. What I can tell you though is that as a taxi driver I pick up a lot of sports followers and when I talk to the football supporters the level of hatred for the "other team", Swansea and Cardiff in my instance due to where I live is astonishing.
    I see it regularly on Facebook, where Cardiff supporters will get a right grilling off Swansea supporters and vice versa.
    I've never seen that between supporters of rugby.

Like I said outdated. I've been to many grounds in the last 20 years and have never seen anything like you describe.

And it's an irrelevant comparison because? Most people go to Football or out on a Saturday night for the same reason - to enjoy themselves. In both instances there may be a minority of trouble makers hence there are precautions in place to minimise the risk of problems.

The risk of being involved in violence at a football match is very small these days. Things have moved on a lot since the 80s.

Also I don't see how your argument proves Rugby is a good spectator sport? It's a bit like saying Norwich is a better city than Barcelona because there's less muggers.

I take it you haven't seen the "friendly banter" between the Leeds Rhinos and Wigan Warriors fans this last weekend then ?

I played rugby my entire adult life, when I retired at 30 I got season tickets at old Trafford, I love rugby, I love football, the old Trafford north stand was excellent but when we moved seats to the stretford end we soon learnt that the atmosphere was hostile, abusive, racist. Generally the typical stereotype football support. It disappointed me and I stop going. I love both but hope my son plays rugby

Quote Originally Posted by StackH View Post
    I can take or leave both rugby and football. Both sports have their exciting games, as well as tedious games. The one thing about rugby that impresses me is the respect the players show for the referee, rather than crowding around him trying to get opponents sent off.

As for either sport being boring, well, I'm a big F1 fan...
    Good summary.

I find rugby union to technical to be entertaining and although I prefer football can't defend its many failings. F1 is just dull!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    As a matter of interest, where did you go for the few seasons?
    Northampton Town, I was a season ticket holder.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    I take it you haven't seen the "friendly banter" between the Leeds Rhinos and Wigan Warriors fans this last weekend then ?
    I cannot comment on Rugby League as its not the rugby format that I follow. The OP was referring to Rugby Union, which is the sport I have played and followed since school. Being from Northampton, its a big Rugby Union town, so its the biggest sport in the area

From your comments, I am assuming the banter was insults? or was it fighting?

I cannot comment on Rugby League as its not the rugby format that I follow. The OP was referring to Rugby Union, which is the sport I have played and followed since school. Being from Northampton, its a big Rugby Union town, so its the biggest sport in the area

From your comments, I am assuming the banter was insults? or was it fighting?
    Oh , I'm sorry. Did I generalise on rugby supporters?
    FWIW I have no side in this petty debate. I love my football ( still waiting for my first brawl after nearly 40 years following City!) but will happily watch most sports, RU being one of them.
    It does irk me when people pigeonhole football fans as thick thugs and players as thick , overpaid diving prima donnas.

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Oh , I'm sorry. Did I generalise on rugby supporters?
    FWIW I have no side in this petty debate. I love my football ( still waiting for my first brawl after nearly 40 years following City!) but will happily watch most sports, RU being one of them.
    It does irk me when people pigeonhole football fans as thick thugs and players as thick , overpaid diving prima donnas.
    And thus you though you would use another sport than the one we were discussing. A bit like bringing in American football, or Australian rules when we're just talking about 'soccer'.
    As for your first brawl, may I refresh your memory:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/spo...eet-brawl.html

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    And thus you though you would use another sport than the one we were discussing. A bit like bringing in American football, or Australian rules when we're just talking about 'soccer'.
    As for your first brawl, may I refresh your memory:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/spo...eet-brawl.html
    If, at any time , you fancy popping back to clockwatchers response, he says rugby, not Union , not League, just rugby. I didn't generalise . Plus, I'm sure you'll spot that Aussie Rules and Murican football tend to use their hands a fair old bit, you know , like rugby.
    I'm in that video BTW. The big shithouse running in the opposite direction