closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Britains Best Bitter

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    .....Spingo
    Spingo Special from the Blue Anchor Brewery in Cornwall.... lovely stuff.... very strong.... had an all day season on it and let myself down a bit.....

...happy days

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopdong View Post
    had an all day season on it
    Blimey, that is a long one...

Spingo is something else. I find myself in the Blue every now and then as my whole family are Helston born and bred. Not the most delicate of beers nor is it delivered with clinical consistency, but it certainly does the job.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil View Post
    Blimey, that is a long one...

Spingo is something else. I find myself in the Blue every now and then as my whole family are Helston born and bred. Not the most delicate of beers nor is it delivered with clinical consistency, but it certainly does the job.
    Ha... that will be the Exmoor Beast I had with my supper kicking in!

Never been to the brewery but there used to be an annual pilgrimage from my favorite pub in Plymouth down to it

They don't make it any more, but Beamish Red took some beating.

I'm off to Masham this weekend - looking forward to a few Theakstons and Black Sheep.

If you've never ad Crouch Vale's Brewers Gold it's worth a shot. Not sure how many awards etc it's ever one, but subjectively it's bloody lovely!

Blog Entries
    Suffolk finest Adnams of Southwold - http://adnams.co.uk
    And of course Green Jack in town (Lowestoft) - http://www.green-jack.com

Blog Entries
    So many good ones to choose from

I'm currently 'going sober for October' so, a couple more weeks to go until I enjoy been pretty again

Rather enjoyed this on a trip up to Sheffield

Blog Entries
    I dont think you can beat a cold bottle of Newcastle Brown.

Master
    Perhaps I'm just a beer-slut..... Given my location it's probably no surprise to learn that I really enjoy a pint of Brains' SA and also their standard Bitter. But it depends on what mood I'm in... Like Jimp I'm sometimes partial to a couple of bottles of Newcastle Brown (but it has to be drunk straight from the bottle and cold.... warm Newcastle Brown from a glass is just nasty) and I rarely say no to a Marston's Pedigree. If it's beautiful weather and I'm sitting outside a cider or two is very nice and if I'm somewhere where the choice of ales is a bit limited I can happily chug back a Stella or two. In fact there's very little I actively dislike but I'm definitely not keen on Guinness.

Quote Originally Posted by Barryboy View Post
    Perhaps I'm just a beer-slut..... Given my location it's probably no surprise to learn that I really enjoy a pint of Brains' SA and also their standard Bitter. But it depends on what mood I'm in... Like Jimp I'm sometimes partial to a couple of bottles of Newcastle Brown (but it has to be drunk straight from the bottle and cold.... warm Newcastle Brown from a glass is just nasty) and I rarely say no to a Marston's Pedigree. If it's beautiful weather and I'm sitting outside a cider or two is very nice and if I'm somewhere where the choice of ales is a bit limited I can happily chug back a Stella or two. In fact there's very little I actively dislike but I'm definitely not keen on Guinness.
    I have to admit I'm with you on this one since moving to Wales 5 years ago !! OMG time flies ... but closely followed by Tetley smooth flow ..in fact anything SOOTH

The best I've ever is Tribute from The North Inn in Pendeen, Cornwall.
    I also really love Harvey's Sussex, Hopback Summer Lightning, Hogs Back TEA and Theakstons Old Peculiar
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I do like Harveys Best, but if I am in a pub that sells any of the Long Man bitters as well, then the Harveys will always take a back seat.

Master

Britains Best Bitter

Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    Harveys of Lewes produce the best bitter.

It's called Best Bitter. So it's a fact.
    You beat me to it Rico. Part of the search criteria for my house was no more than 15 mins from the Brewery!!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazzman View Post
    Timothy Taylor's Landlord. Now in live in sunny Yorkshire it's my beer of choice. As originally a soft southerner, I do still enjoy Fuller's London Pride. But Landlord is a lovely beer.

Bloody hell, 7 oclock and I fancy a pint. Mmmm
    +1 for me too. A great beer

Britains Best Bitter

Currently sat in the family home in Southwold, listening to the sea crash in and drinking an Adnams Explorer. There really is no better place when this quiet.

Master
    Thwaites Wainwright is the best bitter that I have ever tasted. Freshly pumped in two of my locals, I have to limit myself I only drink three pints per week on a Thursday night.

Master
    I find thornbridge Jaipur hard to beat and it seems I'm not alone as it always seems to be sold out luckily my local weatherspoons has it on all the time,in fact they have the best selection of beer and whisky in any weatherspoons I've been in

Quote Originally Posted by clockwatcher View Post
    Thwaites Wainwright is the best bitter that I have ever tasted. Freshly pumped in two of my locals, I have to limit myself I only drink three pints per week on a Thursday night.
    Good Lord! An hourly rate applied over a whole week!
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by boris9 View Post
    Currently sat in the family home in Southwold, listening to the sea crash in and drinking an Adnams Explorer. There really is no better place when this quiet.
    Lucky chap

Master
    Blog Entries
    Holders Golden Glow from the Holdens in Segley West Midlands

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    There is no "best" of course, but there are many excellent ales made around the country. My regular quaffs are Castle Eden Ale in the Dun Cow, and Draught Bass in the Half Moon ( both in Durham City ). Don't let ralphy ​see this, he's bone dry in foreign climes!

+1 for Bass

Grand Master
    Hobgoblin is a favourite, especially at Filey Folk Festival time, where after three solid days of gobbling the 'Goblin from 11am to 1am, an interesting condition arises, and a new game can be played. We call it "pump or poo"
    Hopback Summer Lightening, Doom Bar, Jennings Cumberland, Batemans XXXB, Sam Smiths Old Brewery Bitter, Great Newsome Sleck Dust are all favourites, as is Timothy Taylors Golden Best when in the right area.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Craftsman
    As has been said, so many choices, and many local brews to sample when travelling around the country, Near to me are Mauldons, Colchester and Nethergate, the latter brewery are hopefully brewing a special bitter in honour of the Local Morris sides 40th anniversary..... what could possibly go wrong! Cheers, JohnB4

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Holders Golden Glow from the Holdens in Segley West Midlands
    I concur with this Gentleman, might I also throw Bathams best in the mix anall!

Excuse me Tone; some of us older members with aging sight have difficulty distinguishing between lower case "l" and exclamation mark

St. Austell Tribute. A fine pint if ever there was one.

I'll tell you what Sestrel - Tribute is the best "cask" bitter when transferred to the bottled form, by a country mile.
    Incidentally, my father worked on the building of the St Austell Brewery extension in the 1960s.

I am fortunate to have Binghams Brewery right on my doorstep

Marvellous beer

Twyford Tipple and Space Hoppy are my favourites

Quote Originally Posted by sestrel View Post
    St. Austell Tribute. A fine pint if ever there was one.
    I concur, sure is. Its a constant battle in my mind between Tribute vs. Proper Job

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Tribute is the best "cask" bitter when transferred to the bottled form, by a country mile.
    It's my local brew, so I'm biased, but Tribute is superb. Proper Job and HSD also worth drinking.

Further afield in Cornwall, Sharp's Atlantic is a lovely clean session ale, and though Doom Bar is everywhere, there's a good reason for that—it's a magnificently balanced beer. Penpont's Roughtor also needs a mention. I'm unexcited by any of Skinner's offerings, although I'm a well-wisher, in that I don't wish them any specific harm.

Not widely seen outside Cornwall, the Lizard brewery's Lizard Bitter and Frenchman's Creek are worth tracking down.

Master
    I like proper job drank a lot of those on my honeymoon in padstow had another one called big job but I only saw that in bottles

Another fan of Doom Bar here but I prefer the stuff you get in Cornwall to what we have up north. Atlantic is superb but the local Tescos only sold it for a short while :(

Craftsman
    Sam Smiths Old Brewery bitter is good enough for me.

It´s very hard to find fault with a pint of Doom Bar.

I and many of my family have worked for Batemans Brewery over the years, the XXXB is a good pint.

Lack of Taste Alert!!

If in Cornwall, you MUST drink Betty Stog's - it's the law!!

And if you are energised by this into buying a bottle of it, bear in mind that it is much much better from cask than bottle.
    Also, if intrigued by the bottle label, Google "Falmouth Marine Band".

Apologies Bitfield, I do know this subject is , er, subjective. When I was alive Cornwall was a real ale desert, with Snozzle the only candle in teh darkness.
    Now - I don't think there is a finer county for the real ale lover.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    If you've never ad Crouch Vale's Brewers Gold it's worth a shot. Not sure how many awards etc it's ever one, but subjectively it's bloody lovely!
    CAMRA's Champion Beer of Britain two years on the spin. A lovely drop.

Having been bought up in Oxfordshire, Brakspear 'Best' Bitter is my session beer of choice although these days Wadsworth 6X is the now current local beer of choice at a pub at home, or with work, the Loose Cannon range.

If its bottled, I tend to gravitate towards big hoppy beers (American style IPAs at the moment), such as the Dark Star, Brew Dog, Renegade and Kernel beers.

Quote Originally Posted by hoopsontoast View Post
    Having been bought up in Oxfordshire, Brakspear 'Best' Bitter is my session beer of choice although these days
    Have you tried a pint in the small bar that is attached to the brewery in Henley?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    I find thornbridge Jaipur hard to beat and it seems I'm not alone as it always seems to be sold out luckily my local weatherspoons has it on all the time,in fact they have the best selection of beer and whisky in any weatherspoons I've been in
    The Jaipur is great, and the L'Eroica Britannia too, never seen them on tap though, only bottle from my local farm shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Have you tried a pint in the small bar that is attached to the brewery in Henley?
    I've lived close to Henley for a long period of my life (bit further these days) but never been to the Brewery.
    Growing up in Wallingford, we had Brakspear and a Fullers pubs and I always prefered the Brakspear, although the Fullers Chiswick and ESB is very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolthai32 View Post
    +1 for Bass
    +1 For two of the nicest pubs in one of our nicest citys.

Grand Master
    The last 10-15 years has been a great time for cask beers, which is ironic considering how many pubs have closed in all areas.

Personally I like light bitters (session beers!) so Ossett Brewery's Yorkshire Blonde gets my vote. All the Ossett Beers are good IMO and they're remarkably consistent too.........Maybe I'm biased because I grew up in Ossett

The real ale revolution's now spread over the whole country, no matter where you go thesedays there's always good ale to be found.

Paul

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by hoopsontoast View Post
    Having been bought up in Oxfordshire, Brakspear 'Best' Bitter is my session beer of choice.
    Brakspears used to be lovely,but went distinctly downhill when they sold out in the early 2000's. I rarely choose to drink it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield
    further afield in Cornwall, Sharp's Atlantic is a lovely clean session ale, and though Doom Bar is everywhere, there's a good reason for that—it's a magnificently balanced beer. Penpont's Roughtor also needs a mention.
    I can't agree regards Doombar. It's ok if there is nothing better to drink but it went distinctly downhill when Sharpes sold out to Molson Coors about 4 or 5 years ago. The bottled stuff now comes from Burton-Upon-Trent and it shows. Molson's decision to turn Doombar into the next session beer has had a noticeable effect on quality even if it is still brewed in Rock.

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Lack of Taste Alert!!

If in Cornwall, you MUST drink Betty Stoggs
    Couldnt agree more! One of my favourite beers.
    Last edited by village; 7th February 2016 at 10:12.

As I've said before, Tribute, Harvey's Sussex , Hogs Back TEA and Old Peculiar are among my favourites, but I had a bottle of Innis & Gunn Bourbon Dark Ale last night, which was almost orgasmic. However sat 7.4% I couldn't have too many.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    after three solid days of gobbling the 'Goblin from 11am to 1am, an interesting condition arises, and a new game can be played. We call it "pump or poo"
    Three days of hobgoblin...

Worst Monday insides ever!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Good Lord! An hourly rate applied over a whole week!
    Haha - I would love to indulge more often, but my training commitments prevent me. I had to make the decision, is it more fun being in the boozer with a bunch of mates or another bunch of mates training for triathlon, cycling, running. The training was more enjoyable. It wont last for ever so can get the best of both worlds

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazzman View Post
    Timothy Taylor's Landlord. Now in live in sunny Yorkshire it's my beer of choice. As originally a soft southerner, I do still enjoy Fuller's London Pride. But Landlord is a lovely beer.

Bloody hell, 7 oclock and I fancy a pint. Mmmm

My fave tipple, I still prefer it to bolt maker. that won all the awards the other year.

A nice fresh well kept pint of London Pride always hits the spot for me

A silver medal winner. Hopping Mad from Woods. Nothing better on a sunny day unless you know bitter, I mean better...............