closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any Jaguar XF owners on here?

Master

Any Jaguar XF owners on here?

I'm looking at a last-model XF, so not the new one that's just been announced. It would be a diesel variant of one of the facelift models from around 2012 I reckon; I wondered if there's any owners on here and any thoughts about it therefore?

I've looked at all its rivals but the XF is the one that really makes me ooh and ahh

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    I'm looking at a last-model XF, so not the new one that's just been announced. It would be a diesel variant of one of the facelift models from around 2012 I reckon; I wondered if there's any owners on here and any thoughts about it therefore?

I've looked at all its rivals but the XF is the one that really makes me ooh and ahh
    Not an owner Wayne but our sister company is Jaguar so can find any specific info if you require anything.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Not an owner Wayne but our sister company is Jaguar so can find any specific info if you require anything.
    Thanks, I've found one I like, a LOT, (from a Jaguar dealership) but struggling with the deal at the moment so I'm considering a still high end, but lower model. I just wondered about the general consensus etc. My cousin has one identical to what I've found but he's gone away typically!

Craftsman
    I have an 09 XF - the 5l V8 Petrol. So one generation older than the one you're looking at. I've had it over 18 months and it still puts a smile on my face. What did take me by surprise was how many (positive) comments it attracts. I went for the Portfolio spec and it looks and feels very luxurious. Bought it from an authorised dealer.

Any specific questions?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethos View Post
    I have an 09 XF - the 5l V8 Petrol. So one generation older than the one you're looking at. I've had it over 18 months and it still puts a smile on my face. What did take me by surprise was how many (positive) comments it attracts. I went for the Portfolio spec and it looks and feels very luxurious. Bought it from an authorised dealer.

Any specific questions?
    Sounds fantastic. Nothing too specific; I can't find too many reviews on the 3.0 diesel models, and whether they're worth going for over the 2.2d variant. I also can't find too much about handling, body roll, comfort over bumps etc.

Grand Master
    I've owned a 2010 XF 3.0 diesel (240bhp, not S spec) for the past 4 years and I love it. Real-world performance is fast enough for the majority, and it's delivered in effortless fashion with the excellent auto box. Only drawbacks are poor fuel economy on short runs and the fact that it's not well-suited to snow and ice.......like a pig on a skateboard on a slippery road. The boot could be better too, but I can live with that.

Not sure whether the 4-cylinder models cut the mustard, I can't see the car being anything like as nice without the superb V6 diesel.

Depreciation will always be an issue on cars like this; try not to pay too much when buying.

Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post

Hi mate, I've just bought an XJ (last Friday) and it is absolutely stunning. I love it.
    I tested the XF last year before I opted for another BMW, in this case a 530, but the Jag was a close competitor - I just didn't like the interior very much.

Stunning reviews though for both the XF and XJ.

Good luck with the hunt.....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    ...like a pig on a skateboard on a slippery road...
    Best analogy ever!

What sort of MPG are you getting and what sort of mileage/driving do you do? This is really interesting as I don't want it costing a fortune to run.

Quote Originally Posted by GIB984 View Post
    Hi mate, I've just bought an XJ (last Friday) and it is absolutely stunning. I love it.
    I tested the XF last year before I opted for another BMW, in this case a 530, but the Jag was a close competitor - I just didn't like the interior very much.

Stunning reviews though for both the XF and XJ.

Good luck with the hunt.....
    Excellent news! I LOVE the XJ. Genuinely think it's incredible but the XF is big enough, and the XJ wouldn't suit therefore.

Grand Master
    In answer to the MPG question, in town driving over runs of 5-6 miles it'll struggle to top 25 in traffic. Cold starts seem to affect it more than other cars I`ve owned; that may be due to the auto-box. Also, it's thirstier in cold weather.

On steady motorway driving at around 70-75 it'll top 40mpg. Best I`ve seen is 50mpg at 50-60mph from a hot start on a warm day.

Hilly roads hit the fuel consumption hard too, that's because the car weighs 1800kg, which is 1.75 tons in old money......and that's a lot of metal to lug around.

The post face-lift models will be a tad more economical but I wouldn`t expect a big difference.

Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    In answer to the MPG question, in town driving over runs of 5-6 miles it'll struggle to top 25 in traffic. Cold starts seem to affect it more than other cars I`ve owned; that may be due to the auto-box. Also, it's thirstier in cold weather.

On steady motorway driving at around 70-75 it'll top 40mpg. Best I`ve seen is 50mpg at 50-60mph from a hot start on a warm day.

Hilly roads hit the fuel consumption hard too, that's because the car weighs 1800kg, which is 1.75 tons in old money......and that's a lot of metal to lug around.

The post face-lift models will be a tad more economical but I wouldn`t expect a big difference.

Paul
    Ah that's disappointing. I really was hoping it would be better than that, but we sound like we have similar driving scenarios so I'm sure I'd experience the same.

Grand Master
    There are lies, dammned lies.........and diesel MPG claims. Don`t believe the official figures!

I don`t get hung up on fuel costs, I take a wider view of the total; 'cost of ownership', considering tyres, depreciation, insurance road tax, servicing etc. Sometimes the fuel costs are less significant than folks think.

Paul

My father in law as a 15 plate 2.2 diesel,I've drove it a couple of times and it seems a good drive,not had it long enough to comment on fuel consumption,but one thing I don't like is the sound it makes,it's really loud ,like an old taxi,I think it may be the same engine from the old x types,I may be wrong,but I really expected it to be quieter

Banned
    Go for a test drive, I had a go in the XF 2 years ago lasted 5 mins, turned round and headed back to the dealership, I usually know in the first 5 mins if I like the car or not.

Mind you I test drove the new Range Rover that lasted 7 mins.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fords View Post
    Go for a test drive, I had a go in the XF 2 years ago lasted 5 mins, turned round and headed back to the dealership, I usually know in the first 5 mins if I like the car or not.

Mind you I test drove the new Range Rover that lasted 7 mins.
    +1.......I`m pretty much the same. I may not decide I like the car enough to buy it in the first 5 minutes, but there are plenty I`ve decided NOT to buy in the first 5 minutes!

Most disappointing test drive I`ve had was a BMW 3 series 2.0 diesel a few years ago......most memorable point was the poor quality of the sound system!

As for the 2.2 XF sounding like a tractor, that's 4-cylinder diesels for you. No matter how good the engine is it'll always have that agricultural noise at idle, especially on a cold day. 6-cylinder diesels are much better, but significantly thirstier because they're all much bigger.

The 3.0 6-cylinder is definitely the way to go, the added smoothness is in keeping with the 'feel' of the car.

Strongly advise a test drive, you can read about cars till you're blue in the face but a short test drive will tell you more.

Paul

Master
    Blog Entries
    When it comes to V6 oil burners the Jag comes in a lowly 4th, the Germans have it with performance handling BMW 5. mpg Audi A6. As for comfort on long journeys with an effortless drive E Class.
    Last edited by hilly10; 27th October 2015 at 20:24.

I test drove a 2.7 V6 Diesel and really liked it, sadly I then read the 3.0 is much better, so dithered and the 2.7 sold.

I'm still interested in one. Nice to drive, still look great (IMO) and lots of toys on the better equipped ones.

I can't make my mind up between one of these and an Audi S3, so I'm still driving my 10 year old RX8 and wondering where on earth I'll get something practical that's as good to drive.

M

Journeyman
    I have a 3.0D Portfolio (238ps version) bought new in 09 when the VAT was low, doing my bit for British industry, etc....

I absolutely love it and would recommend one in an instant. My only advice would be to avoid 20" wheels if you're after the best ride/handling balance. Its not harsh on the larger wheels by any means, but there is a tendency to track every undulation in the road. The cooled seats are great in summer but slightly firmer than the non-cooled versions.

I've averaged 35mpg over 65k miles, but I can squeeze over 45mpg out of it on a long run. OK, economy is not brilliant about town or on short journeys, but then it is a 3litre V6 auto.

Jag main dealer servicing is a bit steep and I have just started doing my own. Other than the normal wear and tear components, I've had to replace the rear upper wishbones which was a right PITA but tightened up the handling nicely.

The interior still makes me smile and is a great place to be with a 1st class sound system. The paint quality is superb, even after all this time.

Depreciation has been surprisingly low, it still being worth (apparently) about 1/3 of what I paid for it new.

After 6.5years I'd only change it for an XJ, but to be honest, I can't be bothered.

hth

simon

Master
    Blog Entries
    I had a 2010 3.0D S in Premium Luxury with the JaguarSport interior.

It was fab.

Drove it back to back with a 530D and E class 350, the BMW was just so good at everything it was dull- almost the perfect car but with an absence of any soul, the E class was dull and the interior plastic nasty, the Jag just sang.

Sure the 8 speed box hunted a little bit on the overrun (which you learnt to deal with and just hold the throttle when you think you need it- approaching roundabouts) and you didn't have a great feel through the bends, but it's not an Elise so don't expect it to be one (although 275bhp was much more interesting than you'd expect off the line). There is also a noticeable downturn in quality in the rear passenger compartment (fewer stitches in the leather and the like), presumably a cost saving focussing on the driver and making sure they buy. Always thought the air vent rotation would start to grate (or fail), it did neither, and when anyone got in they'd say "ooh", and it was just a sense of occasion you don't get from anything else, even though it's nothing other than an ordinary saloon.

Suggest you take your time to look at the options, the 400w (?) music uplift was great, the Sports seats were amazing (and they're rare, you have to use "JaguarSport" on Autotrader to get most of them, naturally dealers have better search tools). Pale interior was also sooo much nicer than a black one. 2.2 gets a single tail pipe too, which is nowhere near as nice as the wheelbarrow handles you get on a 3.0, and let's be fair, no-one needs a car like this, you buy it because of how it makes you feel, so make sure it feels good!

I looked at the new XJ as well as 5 series Bimmer and Audi A6. In the end I went for the Audi because the finance deal was much better but cabin wise the Audi and Jag were streets ahead of the BMW.

Not sure if that helps compared to the older model XJ but the latest model was nice