closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Which Seiko

Which Seiko

Been considering a Seiko Auto Diver but not sure what the differences are between the various models, other than dive pressures and prices of course although not much in it until you get to the prospex models.

The 5 seems to be the cheapest but what about the 007, 009s and a few imports I am seeing on fleabay (current contender is orange face/ black bevel with jubilee strap but seems to be Japanese "grey" import)

Is there a different in movements, sizing or quality?

Welcome views on which model people favour in terms of bang for bucks (by the way, no surprises but not going diving with it so depth range not really an issue)

They are all good value watches so it depends what is important to you

If a non handwinding/hacking movement is ok then you cannot go wrong with the SKX007/009, incredible watches (i have both) you can buy from Creation watches or if youd rather buy from the UK then Yorkshire watches (although more expensive)

Craftsman
    IMHO, you cannot go wrong with the SKX007, a lot of people consider it the best Seiko with regards to value, build quality and versatility. As Montybaber said, you don't get hand winding/hacking but, at the price point, definitely not a deal breaker for me.

Thanks guys. New watch term "hacking"?

Doesn't appear to be much different between the 009/007 so assume it is only very slight differences.

Is there a winding/ manual seiko diver?

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Hacking

Quote Originally Posted by Jpshell View Post

Doesn't appear to be much different between the 009/007 so assume it is only very slight differences.

Hi as I understand it hacking is the watches ability to stop the second hand at the12 position(or anywhere else you like)
    While you set the time to your favorite reference,then as second hand comes up to yours you press button in to release it,watch then set precisely

Master
    Hi, another vote for the SK007/009, I also have both and the only difference i can see is the colour of the dial and bezel, everything else seems the same in terms of size and depth. There is also a 21j movement which i know little about, althogh there will members who will be able to comment!

Craftsman
    As i understand it JP, 'hacking' is the ability to stop the second hand when you pull out the crown so that you can set the time exactly to a reference source (not hugely advantageous when you consider that most autos gain or lose seconds per day).

The 007 is black dial and black bezel, whereas the 009 is a very dark blue dial and a 'pepsi' bezel (blue and red).

If you look for a Seiko with a 6R15 or NE15 movement, this will give you a hand winding auto movement, a 4R36 movement watch will give you the same hack/handwind, but is a slightly inferior movement in some ways.

These are just my opinions built on limited experience with Seiko. I own a SBDC003 which has 6R15, and SKX007 which has 7S26 (non hack/handwind) and cannot fault it.

Have a look at the Prospex Air Divers, nice watches at a good price, the bezel puts some off though.
    Last edited by Firesam; 2nd November 2015 at 11:26.

Craftsman
    The difference between the SKX 007 and 009 is colour- one is black, the other blue/red.

Take your time looking at all the Seiko divers available- you are spoilt for choice and they are widely available so don't rush in and then regret in a few months.

These movements can be hacked. When the power reserve is low, pull the crown fully and apply slight back pressure. The seconds hand will stop whilst the pressure is applied. Release when the seconds are correct and give the watch a flick to spin the rotor and wind it. It will wind fully with wear.

[QUOTE=castle;3684006]The difference between the SKX 007 and 009 is colour- one is black, the other blue/red.

aha I did not know that, been wondering for ages, thankyou

Really helpful. I'll probably go with a 007/9 but I also like the look of a SKX011J2 Automatic with a 7S26 Movement I've seen on eBay but I have a feeling this is a grey import.

i presume I would be ok with a non uk model looking at the company/ feedback

Craftsman
    Really helpful. I'll probably go with a 007/9 but I also like the look of a SKX011J2 Automatic with a 7S26 Movement I've seen on eBay but I have a feeling this is a grey import.

Just make sure it comes with the guarantee card, i had a SKX171 off fleabay that had severe timing issues, and it would have covered under Seikos' terms had i had the guarantee card, relatively cheap fix but still a PITA.

Re: Thanks guys. New watch term "hacking"?

Hacking is the ability of the watch to tap into the data bank of near by watches and determine where they wear bought from and how much and if they have ability to bond with the owner- all rather sensitive information.

Good luck with your search.

I think the SKX007/009 is basically at the end of its production life, if that makes any difference to you. There are some newer models coming out next year with better 4R36 movements. (Although this isn't 100% confirmed).

You might want to wait for those. Not that there's anything wrong with the SKX007/009 models. They're ace watches that will be supported for many years to come, but might be a bit of a kick in the nuts to buy something new only to then hear it's being replaced by something better in a few months time.

Quote Originally Posted by ArghZombies View Post
    I think the SKX007/009 is basically at the end of its production life, if that makes any difference to you. There are some newer models coming out next year with better 4R36 movements. (Although this isn't 100% confirmed).

You might want to wait for those. Not that there's anything wrong with the SKX007/009 models. They're ace watches that will be supported for many years to come, but might be a bit of a kick in the nuts to buy something new only to then hear it's being replaced by something better in a few months time.

Very true, but then the 00's are heavily discounted too and no doubt the new range will be quite a bit more, at lease initially anyway.

All advice appreciated, thank you

Craftsman
    My favorite modern is the Sumo...but the divers coming out next year look v nice...might want to wait.

Been considering a Seiko Auto Diver but not sure what the differences are between the various models, other than dive pressures and prices of course although not much in it until you get to the prospex models.

The 5 seems to be the cheapest but what about the 007, 009s and a few imports I am seeing on fleabay (current contender is orange face/ black bevel with jubilee strap but seems to be Japanese "grey" import)

Is there a different in movements, sizing or quality?

Welcome views on which model people favour in terms of bang for bucks (by the way, no surprises but not going diving with it so depth range not really an issue)
    the 007/009 are probably the best recognised for bang for buck , along with the monster, you can pick them up for around 100 used for the 007/009 and the 1st gen monsters, 2nd gen monsters a little more. the sumo is reckoned to be good b4b as well, but it costs probably just over double either of the other options and I'm not sure its worth the extra if what you are after is pure value.
    my personal pref is for the 2nd gen monsters, but the styling certainly isn't to everyones taste.
    stargates and the BFK are also worth a mention.
    i dont think its worth dropping to the 5's , they are cheap and cheerful but a bit on the tinny side.
    Last edited by seikopath; 2nd November 2015 at 15:55.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Craftsman

I have a SKX007K, SKX011J and a 1st gen Orange Monster (also a 'J') all of which never fail to amaze me. Pop them on and set them and they go like a train!! Great watches and at around £100 you don't feel overly precious about them.

The 'J' means they were made for the Japanese market.

With the 007 there are subtle differences on the dial between the 'J' and 'K' versions with the simpler 'K' considered the cleaner version by many.

In truth, whichever you pick up I can't see you being anything other than delighted.

Look forward to the final decision!!

Rob

Master
    Blog Entries
    Skx007/009/011 all lovely but the orange 011 is nicest in my view.
    I am not a fan of the gold hands and bezel text though. I have a very reasonable quote from Harold ng ( yobokies) to swap the hands and bezel insert for 007 versions and also fit a domed crystal and coin edge bezel at the same time.....very very tempted!
    Once you start looking at the mods you can do then the options are near limitless.

Quote Originally Posted by ArghZombies View Post

You can't just buy this watch. You have to actually throw money at the computer screen.
    Then, it jumps out from the computer.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    You can't just buy this watch. You have to actually throw money at the computer screen.
    Then, it jumps out from the computer.
    Tried that..... now I've got to post a WTB for a new screen for my MBP.

Anyone heard of sausagedogseiko on eBay - does some really nice mod'd models and says he gaurantees for 12 months but not sure what that's worth from eBay seller.

Feedback is 100% with over 1300 sales so all the signs are good but has anyone here used or know personally?

Just wandered, I quite like the idea of something a bit different to standard - the green bezel 007 is very nice.
    Last edited by Jpshell; 3rd November 2015 at 20:46.

And Mrvintagewatch - another refurb Seiko seller.