closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sinn 757 in a new home

Journeyman

Sinn 757 in a new home

This is the one previously owned by Ming (for a very short time, unfortunately) and beautifully pictured in his photoessay (http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36617). It's been on my wrist most of the time since it arrived a few days ago. The pics below are so miserable snapshots compared to Ming's excellent photographic work that I am almost embarassed to show them (they come from an ad-hoc session with a pocket-size camera, no tripod, no image stabilization, and poor ambient light of a very cloudy day).

The cohabitation with the DC66 is quite peaceful, so far...

When I gather a sufficient amount of observations I may try to write up some thoughts about how these two compare. I realize many people would find the idea of owning both of them simultaneously bizarre, to say the least, but somehow I feel good with that.

Best wishes,

Pawel

Blog Entries

Re: Sinn 757 in a new home

Quote Originally Posted by pcichosz
    The cohabitation with the DC66 is quite peaceful, so far...

....... I realize many people would find the idea of owning both of them simultaneously bizarre, to say the least, but somehow I feel good with that.
    Pawel
    Nice. Double nice. WIIGH :)

However, you do know that once the honeymoon period is over, they'll start fighting. Then you'll want to move the DC66 on (obviously) - just let me know and I'll take it off your hands. :wink: :lol:

Journeyman

Re: Sinn 757 in a new home

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond
    However, you do know that once the honeymoon period is over, they'll start fighting. Then you'll want to move the DC66 on (obviously) - just let me know and I'll take it off your hands. :wink: :lol:
    If they really start fighting (which may, but does not have to happen), then the DC66 will be a more likely winner for several reasons ;).

Pawel

Master
    Wow that quite a dynamic duo Pavel.

Congrats.

I find the pics are very good :thumbright:, no need to feel embarassed.

Cheers
    Thomas

Very nice.
    That's a nice pair.

Nice to see those two next to each other, congratulations!
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Grand Master
    That strap looks great on it Pawel - Hirsch Liberty?

By the way, won't they scratch if you put them together like that? :P (Or perhaps the question should be: which one scratches first! :lol:)

Wear it in good health.

Ming

Master
    Wow, nice combo. I would love to see a side-by-side shot of the faces to see how they compare in the same shot.

Cheers,

Jay

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Thein
    A slightly thinner lookalike thereof, TSS 'Titan CS'.

By the way, won't they scratch if you put them together like that? :P (Or perhaps the question should be: which one scratches first! :lol:)
    I believe the back cover of the 757 is not tegimented, so it is at much higher risk :).

Pawel

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by alljay
    Wow, nice combo. I would love to see a side-by-side shot of the faces to see how they compare in the same shot.
    Actually I've got such a shot, although not very nice and I am planning to make a better one:

Pawel

Good shot. I may be alone in preferring the Sinn though.

Nice watches you have there.

you can't beat a nice pair, and that certainly is one :)

Nice pics too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir

Nope. I prefer the look of the Sinn also. And you can get one on a bracelet. Actually, better just make that: And you can get one.

Craftsman
    I believe the back cover of the 757 is not tegimented, so it is at much higher risk :).
    Try rubbing them together :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Great watches. It makes sense to own both and if you do a comparison you'll find that a lot of people will be very interested in your findings :)

Cheers,
    Mabuse

Master
    Thanks for the side-by-side photo.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob

Nope. I prefer the look of the Sinn also. And you can get one on a bracelet. Actually, better just make that: And you can get one.
    I'm with both of you. I like the look of the Sinn slightly more. A constant second hand means nothing to me....

I like the fact that the Damasko is a bit thinner, though. I think the difference might come down to the depth of the bezel.

I only have one chrono, a Sinn 103 and I have no plans to change it, but if I hadn't fallen for that one, either of these would be welcome on my wrist.

Cheers,

Jay

Thanks for the side-by-side photo.
    ..., either of these would be welcome on my wrist.

Cheers,

Jay
    Either indeed, but not both. I have a theory that some WIS just like collecting slightly different versions of the same watch. Case proven! :lol: They are both very nice though.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock
    I have a theory that some WIS just like collecting slightly different versions of the same watch. Case proven! :lol:
    Good point. Isn't it just lust for perfection within a certain specific style that can be hardly achieved in a single watch? No, there is no rational explanation, really. :lol:

Thanks for all the kind comments. I hope to come up with some not only photographic comparison of the 757 and the DC66 within the next two or three weeks.

Best wishes,

Pawel

Grand Master
    [quote=pcichosz]
    A slightly thinner lookalike thereof, TSS 'Titan CS'.

Quote Originally Posted by "Ming Thein":2c3x8kqc

Pawel[/quote:2c3x8kqc]

I thought it was - the surface finish of the back cover is identical to the case...(but please don't try it)

Ming

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob

I prefer the Sinn too :D

Ming

Journeyman
    I thought it was - the surface finish of the back cover is identical to the case...(but please don't try it)
    The finish actually looks slightly different to me. And in this thread on Watchuseek someone showed his newly purchased 757 with a scratched back:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=51448

Pawel

Master
    Actually I've got such a shot, although not very nice and I am planning to make a better one:

Pawel
    thanksPawel, thats just what i wanted to see :)

karl

Grand Master
    The finish actually looks slightly different to me. And in this thread on Watchuseek someone showed his newly purchased 757 with a scratched back:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=51448

Pawel
    :shock: I'm surprised...

Ming

I like the pictures very much, especially the last one of the series above. What a lovely picture ... it?s poetic.

How do the two bezel actions compare?

Quote Originally Posted by Mabuse

Great watches. It makes sense to own both and if you do a comparison you'll find that a lot of people will be very interested in your findings :)

Cheers,
    Mabuse
    Absolutely, I am looking forward to the whole comparison thing too. The good thing about the same person having both the watches ... you can slug one off without upsetting the owner too much.

Compared to the D hands the S ones look positively anaemic. :P

Both terrific watches ... but there?s a universe where one is ?the thoroughbred? and the other one is ?the workhorse?. :wink:

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

Bloody Hell the watch has been on a travel :lol:

Craftsman
    Wow! Both are great watches but I think I prefer the Sinn.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I prefer the larger sub-dials on the Sinn, a worthy trade-off against the lack of a constant seconds dial.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    How do the two bezel actions compare?
    I like the bezels on these watches more for esthetic than practical reasons, so my observations are based of very occasional usage, and more for entertainment that any other purpose ;). Both bezels have 60 clicks and operate somewhat differently than what I was used to with Seiko diver watches (such as SKX007 or OM/BM). The rotation is not as smooth as in Seikos and does not make such nice "metal" clicking sound (the sound is more dull). There is also quite substantial difference in the bezel action between the DC66 and the 757. The bezel on the DC66 has absolutely no play and strong, positive clicks, but it is quite hard to rotate. It really surprised me when I first handled the watch. The force needed to rotate it is big enough that I find myself sometimes going one or two clicks farther than I intended and then need to correct, but I can't imagine it being rotated accidentally. The bezel of the Sinn is much easier to rotate (the required force is similar as for Seiko divers), but it also has some (very, very small and hardly noticeable) amout of play and would not be impossible to rotate accidentally. The difference is probably due to those "ceramic ratchet elements" used by Damasko as opposed to something (probably) more conventional used by Sinn.

From my "esthetic" point of view, the difference of bezel operation between these two watches is not nearly as important as the difference of the material and technology used to make the inserts. As I have sadly experienced, the bezel insert of the 757 is definitely not scratch resistant :(.

Best wishes,

Pawel

.......The bezel on the DC66 has absolutely no play and strong, positive clicks, but it is quite hard to rotate. It really surprised me when I first handled the watch. The force needed to rotate it is big enough that I find myself sometimes going one or two clicks farther than I intended and then need to correct, but I can't imagine it being rotated accidentally. ..........

......The difference is probably due to those "ceramic ratchet elements" used by Damasko as opposed to something (probably) more conventional used by Sinn.

.......... the bezel insert of the 757 is definitely not scratch resistant :(.

Pawel
    I stand aghast at the technology that has gone into the Damasko bezel right up to the diamond hardness of the insert. The turning ?does feel? like a safe tumbler but is much harder to turn. Mine is three years old and has not developed any play (in fact just as hard to turn as the first day). I am not aware of any other bezel with this much over-tech in it. Don?t allow the traditionality of the look to deceive.

john

.......... the bezel insert of the 757 is definitely not scratch resistant :(.

Pawel
    That is a great pity. I have been expecting a lot more from Sinn as I like a number of their products but as of late their quality control issues are beginning to turn me away.

Don't get me wrong, I still like them and I want to like them but it's getting harder.

john

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones
    I prefer the larger sub-dials on the Sinn, a worthy trade-off against the lack of a constant seconds dial.
    Well said. Also note that reading 4, or six minutes off the minute totalizer is no easy task on the Damasko for the lack of a five-minute marker.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Grand Master
    The bezel on the DC66 has absolutely no play and strong, positive clicks, but it is quite hard to rotate. It really surprised me when I first handled the watch. The force needed to rotate it is big enough that I find myself sometimes going one or two clicks farther than I intended and then need to correct, but I can't imagine it being rotated accidentally.
    That has been my experience, too. I had the bezel mechanism of the DC regulated, and it was much better after that. :)

The Sinn uses a bog standard bezel insert, for better or worse ... you can easily have it replaced, with the same or an alternate countdown version. The Damasko bezel insert is very much hi-tech. Both approaches are crdible - having a choice is good for the consumer.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Grand Master
    Funny, I used to think that, but seeing the two watches side-by-side, I prefer the balance of the Sinn hands.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader
    Funny, I used to think that, but seeing the two watches side-by-side, I prefer the balance of the Sinn hands.
    I agree. I also agree that when the watches are seen side by side then the Sinn sub dials do look more easily readable. I reckon I could even learn to live without constant seconds in order to the more enjoy those large sub dials. The bezel numerals are also larger on the Sinn. A countDOWN bezel is also an attractive option. Are those bezel inserts easily user changeable anyone?Plus one can actually BUY the Sinn.Hmmm.................. :?:
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus
    I agree. I also agree that when the watches are seen side by side then the Sinn sub dials do look more easily readable. I reckon I could even learn to live without constant seconds in order to the more enjoy those large sub dials. The bezel numerals are also larger on the Sinn. A countDOWN bezel is also an attractive option. Are those bezel inserts easily user changeable anyone?Plus one can actually BUY the Sinn.Hmmm.................. :?:
    Interesting point - I have an 857 inbound, which I am looking forward to recieving. Any discussion on the merits on one-v-the other are a little acedemic, given that current availability on one of them is big, fat - zero :(

I will post some thought when it lands........................
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Well said. Also note that reading 4, or six minutes off the minute totalizer is no easy task on the Damasko for the lack of a five-minute marker.

I also was of the bigger subdial school ... until ... I realised that one of the details I like about the DC66 dial is large empty (black) space in the centre of the dial ...

... a remnant from the original RT design. Of course with the introduction of the oversize subs (on the Sinn), the space is now GONE. And don?t talk to me about the lack of five minute markers on the D ... the omitter should hang. :evil:

I wonder if the question ever came up and somebody said, ?Leave them out.? !!!? :shock:

john

abraxas wrote-

" And don?t talk to me about the lack of five minute markers on the D ... the omitter should hang.
    I wonder if the question ever came up and somebody said, ?Leave them out.? !!!?
    "

Given the amount of time clearly spent designing these watches then I would be amazed if the question had not been asked.Perhaps in the context of "what other small details can we change to make our dials look different". This isn't meant as a criticism. :)
    F.T.F.A.

Grand Master
    abraxas wrote-

" And don?t talk to me about the lack of five minute markers on the D ... the omitter should hang.
    "

Given the amount of time clearly spent designing these watches then I would be amazed if the question had not been asked.Perhaps in the context of "what other small details can we change to make our dials look different". This isn't meant as a criticism. :)
    They could just have used different shaped (T?) marks? Light gray for the normal minutes and white for the 5 minutes?

Ming

abraxas wrote-

"

They could just have used different shaped (T?) marks? Light gray for the normal minutes and white for the 5 minutes?

Ming
    IMHO almost anything as a 5 minute marker would be better than using the same for all minute markers. Those with eyes newer than my 50yr old ones might disagree!
    F.T.F.A.

Grand Master
    abraxas wrote-

"

Ming
    IMHO almost anything as a 5 minute marker would be better than using the same for all minute markers. Those with eyes newer than my 50yr old ones might disagree!
    Nope, I'm a young upstart, and I'm pretty sure I'd have trouble reading that dial, too.

Ming

The bezel of the Sinn is much easier to rotate (the required force is similar as for Seiko divers), but it also has some (very, very small and hardly noticeable) amout of play and would not be impossible to rotate accidentally.
    Would have to agree on the 757 bezel.
    Was not particularly impressed by my 857's for the brief time I owned it.
    Although it was 'firm enough' the feel was rather agricultural.
    This lack of precision (if only in the feel/sound) detracted somewhat from the stark 'toolness' of the watch.
    The slightly uneven looking bezel numerals, so-so alignment and easily scratched 12 'o' clock marker triangle didn't help either.

I would prefer the Sinn given the choice, it appears more well balanced, and a little bit smaller, but with great presence.

In any case, I find the whole Damasko thing entirely lacking in credibility these days.

Jim

Great thread and pics!
    I had my 67 order confirmed in June (07 :lol: ).
    The Sinn is obviously very nice but I'm a true Damasko believer.
    The 67 finishes off my Damasko set and I don't give a fig if Konrad ever makes another watch.

Drop him a mail:

But mind now, Konrad, what I say,
    Don't suck your thumb while my watch is away.

:twisted:
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Pawel, you need one of these to complete the set. :P

john

Grand Master

john
    The bracelet on that thing looks very familiar :?

Ming

Journeyman

john
    Haven't ever looked at those too closely, but maybe I should? :P (Not sure if they are within my price range, though).

Pawel

Ming
    Did you know that god has based the shape of the universe on the DN? 8)

:shock: :lol:

john

Grand Master

Ming
    Did you know that god has based the shape of the universe on the DN? 8)

:shock: :lol:

john
    So we can add and remove parallel universes at will with the right pair of screwdrivers? :D

Ming

So we can add and remove parallel universes at will with the right pair of screwdrivers? :D

Ming
    If you can get predict with absolute confidence the arrival of a photon at some specific point ... I suppose you could. Otherwise you are going to need something bigger, or smaller :rabbit: .

john

Master
    That is the only failing with that dial apart from one other, imho, which is the lack of seconds graduations on the constant seconds subdial. The latter is personal preference, however one I am adamant about.

The lack of a clear minutes, or the less clear nature of the increments than some other watches for the 'minutes elapsed' subdial was one of the reasons I let my Lemania 15CHT go.

I am surprised that D failed to insert a more easy to read indicator on that subdial as many timings are in that region.