closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Is imitation the sincerest form of flattery?

Journeyman

Is imitation the sincerest form of flattery?

So, do most of you agree with the statement that "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" or just lazy people trying to milk the efforts and prosperity of an original.

I would use the example of the Muhle Rasmus, the Jacques Etoile Atlantis, the Alphatime 1000m, or most recently the Kenzo Nautilus in regards to the Dreadnought.

I know there is a difference between a copy or replica and an homage watch but...how do most of you feel about the "copycats"?

I could see if for example a watchmaker wanted to reproduce a watch from the 40's or 50's that wasn't being made and wanted to bring back the essence of a classic but I am referring to all the watches that are blatant copies of current or modern watches like a Rolex Submariner where they look the same but change the name.

How do you all feel about those?

David

Blog Entries
    Whoa! I don't think you can put the Rasmus on that list.... that one's quite different.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bricktop
    Whoa! I don't think you can put the Rasmus on that list.... that one's quite different.
    I agree with that!

I have no problems with watches that pay homage to past (and out of production) pieces, e.g. PRS14 & 20, but don't like look-a-likes & would love to enforce 'a design your own' on such companies.
    /vince ..

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by bricktop
    I included the Ramus even though it's not "exactly" the same as a DS but the influence of a DS seems apparent on all of them.

I agree the Ramus is a different animal the the rest listed. I can see some DN influence but not the blatant attempts to emulate the DN that the others are. I was able to check out an Atlantis at the PMWF conference earlier this year and I must say it comes no where near the DN. I have a pic of the two together on my computer and will have to upload it. The guy who had the JE tried on my DN and said he was no longer satisfied with the JE.

Added Pic

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DoxaDavid
    I included the Ramus even though it's not "exactly" the same as a DS but the influence of a DS seems apparent on all of them.
    Don't see that myself, the only thing that looks similar is the bracelet:
    <table><tr><td>

</td><td>
    </td></tr></table>
    /vince ..

The Rasmus, jacques Etoile and Kobold are all simmilar to the DN not just because of copying, but also because they are "Frickers". :wink:

Sorry to post such a noob question:

The Dreadnaught is an Eddie production, right?
    Is it still available, or was it a very small limited edition?

Many thanks,

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by gregvds
    Sorry to post such a noob question:

The Dreadnaught is an Eddie production, right?
    Is it still available, or was it a very small limited edition?

Many thanks,

Greg
    Eddie's production, it was a LE of 200 and all are long gone (many have changed hands a few times along the way as well). There are not going to be any further production runs, although a related project, the Dreadnaught GMT, is planned for the future.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

While copies of very cool watches like the DN can be annoying, it's a slippery slope. Some people even put homages of long gone watches in the same category as copies/fakes. For example, even though the Italian is a homage of a historic Panerai/Rolex watch, since the current Panerai makes the Radiomir there are those who label it a fake. I think that's being very stringent for the sake of throwing water over the Italian, but as usual opinions run the gamut.

Others say that the DN is merely a combination of other watches, like the ProPlof and the Ruhla NVA. Everything is derivative to a degree. It gets tiring arguing with some people who are narrow minded. I think it's easy to tell the difference between a homage and a copy - and make exceptions based upon certain factors. For example, Rolex Sub lookalikes are plentiful and perfectly legit as long as they use their own brand name, but they are lookalikes of the current model Sub, mostly, so I can't put them in the same category as the Italian. Some people change the dial and other details enough so that WIS can differentiate them from the Rolex, but most people on the street would not - but then again most people on the street would look at an Italian and see a Panerai Radiomir. My point is it usually is in the eye of the beholder. ;-) Crusades and Jihads have started over similar disagreements. Perhaps WISdom needs some sort of good old fashioned blood letting. :twisted: I wonder if Sir Martin is in the house? 8)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave E
    although a related project, the Dreadnaught GMT, is planned for the future.

i want one

Journeyman

Re: Is imitation the sincerest form of flattery?

Well... the Dreadnought was a limited edition and isn't being made.

So, as you pointed out, aren't those brands "bring(ing) back the essence of a classic"? ;) :)

Quote Originally Posted by Paulo

So, as you pointed out, aren't those brands "bring(ing) back the essence of a classic"? ;) :)
    You have a point. The DN is not made anymore so any modern interpretation could be called a homage. The only thing that would invalidate that line of reasoning would be to impose some sort of time frame on the original - i.e. "not being made for x amount of years" ;-)

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by worlok
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo

You have a point. The DN is not made anymore so any modern interpretation could be called a homage. The only thing that would invalidate that line of reasoning would be to impose some sort of time frame on the original - i.e. "not being made for x amount of years" ;-)
    Just playing Devil's lawyer. I know I overlooked the time frame, still I don't think that makes my reasoning invalid and that was the intention of the ;)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by cotto
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave E
    although a related project, the Dreadnaught GMT, is planned for the future.

i want one
    I'm waiting as well! :love5: