closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Locked keys in car - what a chump

Locked keys in car - what a chump

I've just locked my car keys in the car. Loaded car up after family day out, filled the boot with stuff and shut it- oh crap, the keys are in my jacket! No way in.

Now feeling like a proper d**k and waiting for breakdown guy. Chances are he can't sort. We're blocking in family drive as well so they can't drive us home either. Dilemma.

Gutted and feeling sorry for myself.

Any options other than smashing a window?

What car and age is it?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Audi Q5, 2013.
    Googling like anything and smashing window seems only option :(

Banned
    Blog Entries
    half a tennis ball, never fails.

I know nothing about the Q5 (or any other Audi, for that matter), but there are a number of ways of getting in to most cars which do not involve breaking windows, and which your breakdown organisation should be aware of.

When my wife locked my keys in the boot of my M5, I was impressed at quite how quickly the guy from BMW emergency services was able to sort it, though I'd prefer not to say how he did so on an open forum.

Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    Except that it only works on Mercs with vacuum-operated central locking!

Your recovery guy should have specific information available to get into your car. It’s likely to involve compressed air.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Hope you get sorted, I did the same years back dam annoying.

Grand Master
    Few years back we locked ourselves out of a Honda CRV, after a few hours the AA man removed the wing! That was a safe car
    RIAC

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    What?

Lots of head shaking and 'no chances mate" at the moment. Live updates folks. How long before a hammer comes out?

Craftsman
    How far away from your home are you to get the spare key?

60 miles...

Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    What?
    Urban myth by the sounds of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ1jfhaL3Ec

Master
    For next time…keys, trouser pocket, ALWAYS.

Quote Originally Posted by daveyw View Post
    60 miles...
    Factor in an 120 mile round trip taxi ride before you resort to putting a window in ( if you should have to!) taxi might be cheaper

Lots of head shaking and 'no chances mate" at the moment. Live updates folks. How long before a hammer comes out?
    Ask him about inflatable cushion.

R

Master
    A hammer probably won't cure your woes because the doors will be deadlocked and not operable from inside, the alarm will of course go off and the seat-back-locks will either be deadlocked or inaccessible I'm guessing. So don't do it!

Feel your pain but this live advice and update posts are more exciting than the garb on the google box this evening, keep us posted and hope it gets sorted without too much pain

We have tried bladders, no go.
    No spare as fleet vehicle.
    If going home tonight it's a window me thinks

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    If you can't get in without damaging the car then the round taxi trip is probably the best option tbh.

You could be easily looking at £200 plus fitting and cleaning the glass out if you put a window in, couple of hours round trip you're be home by 11.00 ish

- - - Updated - - -

You could be easily looking at £200 plus fitting and cleaning the glass out if you put a window in, couple of hours round trip you're be home by 11.00 ish

Master
    Could someone bring the keys to you and half the time??
    Last edited by lewie; 8th November 2015 at 21:42.

Sounds like there isn't a spare key though....
    I feel for you, still looking at the bright side - could have been worse I suppose.
    At least you are at a friends/family house and not in the middle of nowhere.
    Good luck with it all - hoping the breakdown guy can get in eventually - without damage.
    Last edited by Thorien; 8th November 2015 at 21:44.

Quote Originally Posted by UKMike View Post
    A hammer probably won't cure your woes because the doors will be deadlocked and not operable from inside, the alarm will of course go off and the seat-back-locks will either be deadlocked or inaccessible I'm guessing. So don't do it!
    The keys are inside the car. ;-)

R

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    s

I hate it when people put replies about going getting the spare key AFTER you state this ^^^^^

Have you tried ringing a locksmith? When I worked at Audi that's exactly what we did when a q7 had BOTH keys locked in the boot less than a year ago...

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post

R
    As a matter of interest does this have easy entry and a push button start?

Don't the latest Audi's have the same app as my BMW where you can unlock the car remotely from your phone?

No and no.
    The one thing I can say they design and build well is their windows. That f***er did not want to go.
    But go it did after about 40 tries from 3 of us and using a punch, screw driver, lump hammer etc.
    now vacuuming up debris and buildiing a cardboard window for drive home :/

No and no.
    The one thing I can say they design and build well is their windows. That f***er did not want to go.
    But go it did after about 40 tries from 3 of us and using a punch, screw driver, lump hammer etc.

Sorry to hear that was the only choice at the end of the day safe drive home

What a palaver....

Have a safe drive home

Ask him about inflatable cushion.

R
    That's what was used on mine.

Hopefully your wife buys the story that the passenger window is the one designed for emergency smashing. Tell her before the rain rips through the cardboard.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Locked my keys in the boot of our new VW Passat in a rural town in the Dordogne in France in 2006. Even worse we had a toddler in a pushchair and my wife was pregnant. Even worse than that it was our last morning and our bags were packed ready to set off home after a final stroll, ie. Nowhere to stay and no possesions on us. Local recovery guy was simply unable to do anything. He squeezed a robotic arm in through door gap and managed to drop the back seat but boot was huge, full of stuff and dark so he couldn't see in. We weren't even sure the key was in there. Ultimately we checked into the only B&B in town and got my parents to find the spare key at our house and courier it. Had to get a taxi to local supermarket to get nappies, toiletries etc to last us the two days it took for the spare key to turn up at post office. When we eventually unlocked the car there was the key just inside the boot. I had put it down to unfold the pushchair, shut the boot and the timed autolock had done its rather annoying thing. Ah well, you live and learn. Very expensive mistake when we added up b&b, costly rebooking of ferry in August, courier cost etc.

Craftsman
    You clearly need some dodgy mates - i know several people who have had there Audi's broken into without smashing a window. Apparently it can be scanned and opened electronically!

Hopefully as it's a fleet car, it won't cost you - most have this sort of thing covered under insurance.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post
    Don't the latest Audi's have the same app as my BMW where you can unlock the car remotely from your phone?
    This, yes they do. Get it downloaded.

Righto, all back home safe and sound and nipper sound asleep in bed.
    Pretty good temporary window made and insurance calls to be made in the morning. Rear passenger window smashed, alarm goes off and me in like Flynn and pop the back seats to rescue coat.

You can talk about design flaws and apps all you like but I'm more annoyed with myself for doing it in the first place. Posted here as needed somewhere to vent whilst waiting and as a warning- if it can happen to me it can happen to anyone.
    One interesting point on the breakdown insurance though, even though it's full-relay cover, there's a clause that they'll only take you 10 miles if assistance is because of keys in car? I'll check that out.
    Still impressed with that rear window though

Thanks to all well wishers.

Master

R
    My mistake - I thought the keys were probably in the boot. That's where I have almost locked mine a few times :-)

PS Sounds like it was scarily easy to get into the boot. Several cars I've owned have had locking seat backs to prevent you getting into the boot from the passenger compartment - make a note never to leave anything in there (keys included). :-)
    Last edited by UKMike; 9th November 2015 at 01:04.

Two hour round trip, bit of a drama but hardly worth knickers in a twist.
    In the time the OP spent posting about his woes he could have been home and back and smelling of roses, unimpressed.

Banned
    No and no.

My dealer told me about this when I was buying the car.

Enhanced security..... An A8 suffered an attempted break in via the drivers-side glass. They counted via the dealers CC TV 22 blows to the glass with a crow bar and the hole was no bigger than a 1/2" in diameter.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Two hour round trip, bit of a drama but hardly worth knickers in a twist.
    In the time the OP spent posting about his woes he could have been home and back and smelling of roses, unimpressed.

For the umpteenth time - THERE WAS NO SPARE KEY AT HOME - as stated clearly above by the OP!

I hope you're covered, just checked with my insurance and it doesn't cover me for delibrate damage. Not sure if it is still classified as delibrate given your predicament?

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    For the umpteenth time - THERE WAS NO SPARE KEY AT HOME - as stated clearly above by the OP!
    He mentions it from post 20 for the first time, if he had mentioned it at the start I would of suggested a brick from the onset. Modern aren't like a 1978 Ford Cortina where you can fashion a hook out of a coat hanger and lift the door pull.
    Last edited by Franky Four Fingers; 9th November 2015 at 08:29.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    He mentions it from post 20 for the first time, if he had mentioned it at the start I would of suggested a brick from the onset. Modern aren't like a 1978 Ford Cortina where you can fashion a hook out of a coat hanger and lift the door pull.
    But with a 1978 Cortina you wouldn't be able to get into the boot from the passenger cell anyway. Of course you could have started it with the same coat hanger ;-)

Master
    Why won't they let you have both keys, that's daft, maybe this story will change their minds?

Whenever we are going any distance in either of the cars we take both keys. I won't have a car with only one key.

Never lock the car manually and you can't shut the keys in it (setting myself up for a fall there).

Journeyman
    At least you didn't manage to do it with your 18 month old daughter in the car on one of the hottest days of the year. Stupid central locking.

Well, at least you didn't throw your car keys into the local council tip crusher along with a sack of rubbish. It's not advisable. Ask me how I know .

Quote Originally Posted by UKMike View Post
    My mistake - I thought the keys were probably in the boot. That's where I have almost locked mine a few times :-)
    I’ve only done it once, fortunately. I’d remotely opened the boot, chucked some stuff in and closed the lid only to realise the key/fob were in with the other items...

RAC turn up, the man looks up his info and tells me he’ll need to remove the number plate and drill a small hole to access the cable-release. But then he says he’ll try his own method, this was to work a flat pillow between the rubber seal of the car and the boot-lid, then he pumped this up to force a gap big enough to get a wire into the boot and hook the key/fob out.

My pet hate is self-locking: whereby if you remotely open the car and don’t put your key into the ignition within a set period of time the car locks and arms itself again: a recipe for disaster.

R

As a Q5 owner I can tell you there is no "app" for opening the car for a 2013 model year car.
    There is only keyless entry with a start button or the standard key (which is not actually a key but a fob).
    The one thing that puzzles me is how the boot locked with your key inside. With mine the car is either unlocked and all doors and tailgate can be opened or locked, maybe it's the way I've got it programmed via the MMI?

Quote Originally Posted by aldfort View Post
    As a Q5 owner I can tell you there is no "app" for opening the car for a 2013 model year car.
    There is only keyless entry with a start button or the standard key (which is not actually a key but a fob).
    The one thing that puzzles me is how the boot locked with your key inside. With mine the car is either unlocked and all doors and tailgate can be opened or locked, maybe it's the way I've got it programmed via the MMI?
    I had opened the boot only with the fob, carried luggage to car to load up for the journey, decided to put my coat in the car too as didn't want to be too warm whilst driving. The keys were in my coat pocket. I then pressed the boot closure button. A second later I realised my mistake but not quick enough to react wedging my arm in or similar. That was it. Car deadlocked, no spare, number for fleet guys on key fob in boot and blocking in relatives drive so no lift home. A cab was an option to get family home BUT I still needed to get car moved to allow the other car out of the drive and only a 10 mile limit on relay due to the key small print- which I shall check today.

All in all completely my fault the situation occurred but there were no 'knickers in a twist', just that the only option left to be able to have both cars being used today, was violence! Will find out today how much a new window is :(

It was mildly amusing to have my girlfriend bring out the kids in their dressing gowns and wellies to mutter "silly Daddy, let's watch him smash into the car."

As a previous poster said "Keys in pocket. Always"