closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Precista Pathfinder?

Precista Pathfinder?

Eddie recently mentioned in the Zeno forum that he has been discussing a possible Precista "ommidge" to the 1016 to replace the no longer available ZEX. Thought this was too good a concept to not repeat it here in the Timefactors watch forum.

38mm with a high dome sapphire.

It's only at the idea stage so it's no good nagging Eddie for delivery dates or asking to reserve a number :twisted:
    but it would be a nice addition to the PRS family wouldn't it? :)

I've said it in the Zeno forum, and I'll say it here. Yes, make it and I'll buy one!!
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Master
    Very nice indeed! I'd rather see it without the date though.
    It'd look really nice on an Oyster. :wink:

So that's two then :twisted:

How many will it take to bump this onto the "definites" list from the "possibles" list? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Quote Originally Posted by derek_faker
    Very nice indeed! I'd rather see it without the date though.
    It'd look really nice on an Oyster. :wink:
    I definitely want to see it with the date.
    Dave E

Yes please :!:

I knew all that lobbying pro Precista "ExPIevo" would not go unnoticed :twisted: :D

Personally I would like it sans date - the original didnt have it and I think we should respect the spirit of the original. Must admit that most of my watches are dateless though... :roll: :lol:

Cheers

Journeyman
    I'd go for a date too. :)

As the proposal is for a 38mm watch, the date position would usually fall inside the minute track and not break into it, making it less obvious.
    If you check out the likes of the Sinn 656 or Bill Yao's new Vantage, I think the date can be added discretely as an update to the original design without it being too intrusive.

Master
    Oh yes that looks so sweet.

Although I usually prefer having the date on the dial, in this case I believe it would be better without.

Oh and yes a bracelet would be nice as well :)

Thomas

Oh yeah, date and a bracelet for me

Master
    As it's one of my favourite designs ever. I would buy it with the date, as long as it comes on a good quality heavy bracelet with screwed links.
    So I say YES, I would buy one.

Master
    Another thought, why a sapphire. I think a good quality thick plexiglass would be more attractive.

Journeyman
    "ommidge" would be great and without date and with nice bracelet :D

Another thought, why a sapphire. I think a good quality thick plexiglass would be more attractive.
    Well, it's in keeping with Eddie's tradition of upgrading specs, and secondly it'll probably sell more than with a plexi. Personally I like acrylic, but Eddie has said he'd have sold more PRS-14s if they were sapphire, and it's the reason he's gone sapphire for the PRS-50.
    Dave E

Just a guess, but probably for the same reason as the PRS-50 went sapphire.
    Eddie says he's had so many people telling him that the acrylic crystal was the reason they wouldn't buy the PRS-14.
    The acrylic/sapphire debate will never go away. I just wish more people could do what Sinn manage and offer both where suitable. :roll:

Craftsman
    I´m in for one but only if it is made with a sapphire crystal. After a recent experience I am convinced: acrylic if just for formal dress.
    Add a black date wheel and a round window if you please, Mr. Platts.

I could live with saph but would prefer acryl. Anyways, I would really prefer this watch sans date but will go with the flow anyways. I think the crystal for many is the big issue but date is´nt(?).

No date and it´ll be perfect. Is it just me or does "Pathfinder" bring associations about Casios packed with features? :roll:

Precista Tenzing would be better IMHO. - A tribute to the spirit of the expedition that got carved to the sould of man kind and a way to give credit to whom credit truly is due. - IMHO the man hasnt had the respect he should of have had compared to Sir H. I think that Mr. Norgay would give Eddie the right to name the watch after him. Just think about it: Precista Tenzing - the ultimate Explorers watch, packed with a bunch of cool accessories and a little booklet with pics of the expedition and told the way Mr. Norgay experienced it. Me? - I´d buy it on a millisecond and I suspect so would most WIS if Mr. Norgay would be involved with the project.

Just my 002.

Click pic for more info

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffD
    Just a guess, but probably for the same reason as the PRS-50 went sapphire.
    Eddie says he's had so many people telling him that the acrylic crystal was the reason they wouldn't buy the PRS-14.
    The acrylic/sapphire debate will never go away. I just wish more people could do what Sinn manage and offer both where suitable. :roll:
    I must confess that despite the fact that I have been either collecting or doing franken watches for several years, I had considered plexiglass as meaning cheap and sapphire meaning high quality. Of course, all changed once I started reading the posts here and now I value good plexiglass as being more adequate when you are making a hommage watch. All in all, what I mean to say is that only a very small minority will value a plexiglass in a watch... :(

Quote Originally Posted by JCJM
    No date and it´ll be perfect. Is it just me or does "Pathfinder" bring associations about Casios packed with features? :roll:

Precista Tenzing would be better IMHO.
    Pathfinder says 'Casio' to me too. It also brings to mind those Wayfinder shoes for boys with a compass in the heel.

'Tenzing' is good, but maybe I could throw in 'Precista Pioneer' as well.

Good point about Pathfinder, Google does lead you to a Casio site first when you look for "Pathfinder watch". I quite like Pioneer, though!
    Dave E

Precista Tenzing sounds great IMO

Journeyman
    I must confess my surprise to see this project announced. After seeing Yao coming with the Vantage (besides with the weak dollar) my thought was that there might not be enough market for another similar project, but I might be absolutely wrong and this thought has no base in any evidence or previous experiences.

Craftsman
    How about Precista 'Mallory' after the plucky British explorer who disappeared on Everest during the 1924 expedition and whose body was found near the summit a few years ago, reigniting speculation that he might have been the first to conquer the mountain after all?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Luso
    After a recent experience I am convinced: acrylic if just for formal dress.
    You mean the PRS-14? Funny that I keep prefering acrylic for my beaters (and mineral glass is last in my preferences) although sapphire is my favorite for modern dress watches.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125

Precista Tenzing would be better IMHO.
    Pathfinder says 'Casio' to me too. It also brings to mind those Wayfinder shoes for boys with a compass in the heel.

'Tenzing' is good, but maybe I could throw in 'Precista Pioneer' as well.
    I'd add Precista Alpinist (as the watch has nothing to do with the Seiko line with that name).

How about Exploder? OK, I'll get my coat.

Master
    Yes definatley 8) would like it to have date, acrylic and drilled lugs if possible.

karl

Precista K2?

Master
    Precista Tenzing would be better IMHO. - A tribute to the spirit of the expedition that got carved to the sould of man kind and a way to give credit to whom credit truly is due. - IMHO the man hasnt had the respect he should of have had compared to Sir H. I think that Mr. Norgay would give Eddie the right to name the watch after him. Just think about it: Precista Tenzing - the ultimate Explorers watch, packed with a bunch of cool accessories and a little booklet with pics of the expedition and told the way Mr. Norgay experienced it. Me? - I´d buy it on a millisecond and I suspect so would most WIS if Mr. Norgay would be involved with the project.
    Well... why not? a little bit koboldesque BUT if this one is going upscale anyway (saphire/date/bracelet - not my cup but if it sells...),
    why not going into some sort of charity direction ( isn't there one caring about families of sherpa-casualties?) ?

This would mean having a nice Ex + proper box with extra stuff (Himalaya-Nato :thumbleft:, nice booklet) + donation to that "to find charity"?

No date, bracelet, 40mm, sapphire crystal and no complicated name type deal on the dial please, lets keep it like the 14, neat, simple, classic.

Precista Pathfinder

I would buy one. Prefer no date, sapphire glass.

Hmmm...

How about "Precista TZ-UK" - surely a unique set of alphabets and brings to mind Tenzing as well :D

:wink:

Precista Alpine Flipper.

Period.

:twisted:
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Whilst "Tenzing" & "Mallory" are suitable names, I'd be uncomfortable about using someone's name.

Pathfinder came up when I checked the thesaurus for a similar word. :wink:

Incidentally, I've had another suitable name in reserve for at least 3 years but I was keeping that for the DN GMT.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

traveller?

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Aahhhh :o :)

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne

Eddie
    I don't know why but I've always found watches with artwork on the dial a bit kitsch. Love the concept otherwise though. Just a thought: would it be sacrilige to add a GMT hand? :D

Ming

I never intended putting artwork on the dial Ming, that's supposed to be a reflection.

GMT would be nice but then we have the same movement problem as with the DN GMT and the watch will never happen.

Eddie

"England" on the dial? I'll have one too :)

Guys...

I´d love to have the silhouette of Himalaya printed with gloss lacquer (if the dial is semi matter or matte) above 6 and under the text "certified chronometer". - The silhouette would be unnoticeable except when you really want to see it by tilting the watch at an angle for the light to reflect on it. IMHO we could then have the dial with just the text "Precista" and "officially certified" as the silhouette would provide ´nuff association to the background of the design and the 1016 it will be a homage to. - Anyone could then call it the way they prefer and I personally like that concept a lot!

Ooooh... that would be so cool! :shock:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB
    No

I have no problem with UK per se but would prefer the dial with no nationalism of any kind.

Respectfully,

No

I have no problem with UK per se but would prefer the dial with no nationalism of any kind.

Respectfully,
    second that.

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125
    It says Riley to me. But I think it is also an excellent name for this project.

How about Precista Pioneer?

Edit: I see it's already been suggested, so make my suggestion a vote instead.

Craftsman
    Guys...

I´d love to have the silhouette of Himalaya printed with gloss lacquer (if the dial is semi matter or matte) above 6 and under the text "certified chronometer". - The silhouette would be unnoticeable except when you really want to see it by tilting the watch at an angle for the light to reflect on it. IMHO we could then have the dial with just the text "Precista" and "officially certified" as the silhouette would provide ´nuff association to the background of the design and the 1016 it will be a homage to. - Anyone could then call it the way they prefer and I personally like that concept a lot!

Ooooh... that would be so cool! :shock:
    Agree, I would prefer this over a name.
    Anyway, I would buy such a watch (with a preference for acrilic/no date but saphire is also fine).

Benoît

Master
    How is having 'England' on the dial, say at the bottow, where 'Germany' or 'Swiss' Nationalistic? :shock:

It's a nice idea and a nice touch of detail for watch that others have on them.
    What's the big difference? It's in the eye of the beholder-your interpretation, rather than nationalism per se.

AP. :?:

Very nice watch Eddie. I would go for one.

Best wishes,

AP. :)

I'd be in for one if it happens. I don't think I would ever rest if I didn't get one. :wink:
    F.T.F.A.

No

Respectfully,
    PRS-14 and PRS-18 both have "England" on the dial, so there is a precedent.

This would be my fav: