closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dreadnought DN-Q - (PRS-24) Specs

Very cool. The battery is almost as big around as the movement.

Normally, I'd rather the seconds weren't as big as the hours and minutes, but I guess that's not critical on an ana-digi.

Craftsman
    the country where every village is a nation
    Thanks for the pics 8)
    The "lume" :P looks great :D

Craftsman
    Why to not have underwater working pusher like TAG aquagrah or Omega Seamater 300 Chronograph and Omega PO chronograph

With the same function for the movement you could found Myiota and Casio (just an idea)

Dynamo

The crystal should be fitted after the movement is installed. Apparently you need to rotate the crystal to find the most legible view of the LCD display as the crystal can act like a polarising filter and render the LCD unreadable if it's in the wrong position
    Uff, Eddie, after playing around with the movement (see pics above) and some watch cases, I cannot figure out how the crystal position can render the LCD unreadable. The position of the crystal does not have any impact on the readability of numbers. Maybe it depends on the type of crystal (i.e., AR coated crystals)? :?

Best

Jose M.

Quote Originally Posted by angeche
    The crystal should be fitted after the movement is installed. Apparently you need to rotate the crystal to find the most legible view of the LCD display as the crystal can act like a polarising filter and render the LCD unreadable if it's in the wrong position
    Uff, Eddie, after playing around with the movement (see pics above) and some watch cases, I cannot figure out how the crystal position can render the LCD unreadable. The position of the crystal does not have any impact on the readability of numbers. Maybe it depends on the type of crystal (i.e., AR coated crystals)? :?

Best

Jose M.
    I don't think it's the crystal - there's a polarising filter stuck on top of the LCD display - I read somewhere that it's a common mod for G-shocks, you can alter the display from normal to 'reversed' (or the other way around) by changing the position of the filter, I think

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by lysanderxiii
    Screw-down or nonscrew-down pushers have the same inherent WR, the difference is that the screw-down prevent inadvertent pushing of the buttons, but I find then more of a prevention of using the chrono-functions.

below is a cross section of common pusher designs. You will see that they both have the exact same sealing against water intrusion.

NON SCREW-DOWN:

SCREW-DOWN:
    There are Chronograph pusher who could work underwater like omega Seamaster Chronograph and TAG Heuer Aquagraph

Breitling Avenger M1 (pusher work underwater till 1000m)

Dynamo

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad
    I read somewhere that it's a common mod for G-shocks, you can alter the display from normal to 'reversed' (or the other way around) by changing the position of the filter, I think
    You can indeed.

Craftsman

Alarms...

One point to note about alarms is that the Omega X33, with its 80dB alarm, has a WR rating of only 50 metres. I think loud alarms and decent WR are technically difficult, if not mutually exclusive. I, for one, would be happy to skip the power-sapping alarm, and go for the WR.

-- Tim

Re: Alarms...

Quote Originally Posted by in_denial
    One point to note about alarms is that the Omega X33, with its 80dB alarm, has a WR rating of only 50 metres. I think loud alarms and decent WR are technically difficult, if not mutually exclusive. I, for one, would be happy to skip the power-sapping alarm, and go for the WR.

-- Tim
    Why :?:

The alarm on the X-33 and the B1 depend on expensively sculpted acoustic chambers machined into the case back.
    I'm curious as to how that would that affect water resistance?

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad
    I read somewhere that it's a common mod for G-shocks, you can alter the display from normal to 'reversed' (or the other way around) by changing the position of the filter, I think
    You can indeed.
    Does this mean you could have a Omega x-33 with reversed display? Thatīll be black with white numbers/letters... how cool would that be, eh :shock:

Does this mean you could have a Omega x-33 with reversed display? Thatīll be black with white numbers/letters... how cool would that be, eh
    Well, of course you can....look at the pics of the display in the threads above: black with silver/golden numbers (sorry, sometimes I see them silver and sometimes I see them golden).

Why

The alarm on the X-33 and the B1 depend on expensively sculpted acoustic chambers machined into the case back.
    Although I am not an expert, I think you are right. The only issue with the sculpted watch case is money: it must be really expensive to design and build such a case back. :(

One thing I have not tried is the alarm: I am afraid to damage the movement by pushing the buttons "manually".

But I am a happy man seeing that there is a renewed interest in this post...... :D

Best

Jose M.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffD

-- Tim

Perhaps I've not looked carefully enough at the X33 - I thought the caseback had holes in it - sealed by something water/dust resistant, but more acoustically transparent than steel. Perhaps they are just sculpted grooves, if so, sorry to have mislead anyone!

-- Tim

I believe the w.r issue with the B1 & X-33 style watches is more to do with the fact that the crown is a "push to operate functions" affair and therefore can't be a screw down crown. As these watches were not designed as dive watches, there has been no need to try any kind of belt & braces approach to sealing the crown tube and pusher seals beyond the needs for normal water immersion and swimming.
    The alarm issue is more one of the cost of producing a back with an acoustic chamber. This can be done by; producing an extra thick back, machining out a large section and press fitting an insert shaped to create an acoustic chamber, or making a one piece complex shaped back by either investment casting, or nowadays, by Direct Metal Laser Sintering (DMLS).

What I don't understand is why they haven't fitted a "vibrate" style alarm to these watches. Far more practical and useful IMHO and much easier to design into a case.

I believe the w.r issue with the B1 & X-33 style watches is more to do with the fact that the crown is a "push to operate functions" affair
    :shock:
    Yes, Indeed, and that is something I was not considering before (although it was in front of me: you have to push the crown to operate the light!! ): the crown cannot be of the screw in type. And if the crown is not of screw in type, it does not have any sense to have the pushers of the screw in type (although in principle they serve a different purpose: avoid accidental operation of the crowns while under water).

Best

Jose M.

I haven't posted much round here in a while and have only just become aware of this proposed project.

I own an x-33 and a B1 (as well as an Aerospace, though i don't consider that to be in the same league of functionality). If a PRS ana-digital is made it should offer something extra that those two watches don't. Something that thinks totally outside of the box.

On the B1 and the Aerospace the digital information appears in two window cut outs. The main weak spot of all anadigital watches is that at some points the digital display will be obscured by the hands. That is quite infuriating when the aim is that the watch should be a legible tool. How about if the digital 'windows' were housed completely outside of the dial? How about if the digital rectangular windows were north and south of that dial? In other words, have *hooded* lugs that carry the digital information windows whilst the dial and bezel are left completely uncluttered. The case design of the Dreadnought ('CyberNought'?) would lend itself to this kind of innovative hooded lug design perfectly.

Just an idea...discard it by committe if it doesn't appeal.

Sunnie

2 cents worth

Great project, if titanium it needs to be Duratech, i have found my PMK65-2211 impossible to scratch and speaking of which what is possibility of ecodrive/solar setup...........? and please no "limited edition" 100 only type deal

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnie
    ...On the B1 and the Aerospace the digital information appears in two window cut outs. The main weak spot of all anadigital watches is that at some points the digital display will be obscured by the hands. That is quite infuriating when the aim is that the watch should be a legible tool. How about if the digital 'windows' were housed completely outside of the dial? How about if the digital rectangular windows were north and south of that dial? In other words, have *hooded* lugs that carry the digital information windows whilst the dial and bezel are left completely uncluttered. The case design of the Dreadnought ('CyberNought'?) would lend itself to this kind of innovative hooded lug design perfectly.

Just an idea...discard it by committe if it doesn't appeal.

Sunnie
    It's a neat idea, but I don't know that it could be done with an off-the-shelf ETA.

Re: 2 cents worth

Quote Originally Posted by simonsev
    Great project, if titanium it needs to be Duratech, i have found my PMK65-2211 impossible to scratch and speaking of which what is possibility of ecodrive/solar setup...........? and please no "limited edition" 100 only type deal
    Check out the movement specs and details simonsev, and all will be clear to you.

To the best of my memory, the answers are: won't happen, none, and there are only so many movements to be had.

You may remember I bought the movement of this project, the ETA 20.321:
    http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic...475&highlight=
    http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic...r=asc&start=45

Well, I have completed my franken project and here are the results:

The hands were a non-issue: I just took the lume out of the watch hands and voilá, translucent hands! The case was an issue, because although the size and pushers positions mean that a 7750 case can be used, the movement size is slightly bigger and I had to modify the case to make room for the movement (and please, donīt ask what modifies means: a lot of dirty work and brute force!). The strange fixing screws did not help at all in this respect. I designed the outer dial and print it on photo paper, cut it off and added some lume. I could not sincronise the watch hand, and it goes one second over the digital time. Not a big deal for me anyway...And well, the rear part of the watch case showing the battery is...ugly!
    So...conclusions: it can be done, but it is a peculiar movement. One thing we know: it is pretty sturdy, since it has survived my experiment. :wink: :D

Best

PS: Any ideas on the straps that would go with the case? Here I am lost

Two further issues. First, forget about the second hand being desyncronised. It can be done very easily (still learning how to use the movement!). Second, the digital numbers seem now very difuse and you cannot see them clearly (I have to use the backlight), so Eddie was right in pointing out that the crystal should be placed. As for the alarm....not yet any sound heard!!

Craftsman
    the country where every village is a nation
    Those hands are a good choice, the display is very readable. You could try a rubber strap on it.
    It seems you had some fun tinkering :P :D :D

Wouldn't an Oris Divers strap fit that? looks like the same lug shape as the TT1 divers

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo
    Quote Originally Posted by lysanderxiii
    Screw-down or nonscrew-down pushers have the same inherent WR, the difference is that the screw-down prevent inadvertent pushing of the buttons, but I find then more of a prevention of using the chrono-functions.

below is a cross section of common pusher designs. You will see that they both have the exact same sealing against water intrusion.

NON SCREW-DOWN:

SCREW-DOWN:
    There are Chronograph pusher who could work underwater like omega Seamaster Chronograph and TAG Heuer Aquagraph

Breitling Avenger M1 (pusher work underwater till 1000m)

Dynamo
    I didn't think the Omega ones could be used underwater? Aquagraph and M1 yes.

Also, interesting to note that the SMP Chrono pushers LOOK like they screw down, but don't actually - it's just a cosmetic design thing it would appear.

Cheers,

Guy :)

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"
    I think the knurling on the outer part of the pusher is there for screwing the pusher into the case. Most have that under the movable part of the pusher to hide it from sight.

-- Tim

How loud the alarm is will depend on how thin the case back is, since it will use the case back as if it were the diaphragm of a loud speaker.

If the case back gets too thick the maximum volume will be reduced. However, this should only be a problem with extremely high WR, where case back strength is required to keep the back from deforming under high pressure.

-- Tim

How loud the alarm is will depend on how thin the case back is, since it will use the case back as if it were the diaphragm of a loud speaker.

If the case back gets too thick the maximum volume will be reduced. However, this should only be a problem with extremely high WR, where case back strength is required to keep the back from deforming under high pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkwindmill
    I didn't think the Omega ones could be used underwater?
    They can be used till a depth of 300m/1000ft.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard
    Are you referring to the X-33?

RobDad Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:01 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wouldn't an Oris Divers strap fit that? looks like the same lug shape as the TT1 divers
    No, Oris are bigger, but I can fit one of Eddieīs new rubber straps 8)

BTW I love the franken watch and the movement. Keep pushing..... :wink:

Craftsman
    Any updates on this one?

Quote Originally Posted by calvinktlim
    Any updates on this one?
    No.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

calvinktlim wrote:
    Any updates on this one?

No.

Eddie
    :banghead:

If they were made like this, (or similar in design,) they could be used under water.

By keeping water out of chamber "A" one avoids the major problem with the common pusher designs. And, no fiddly screwdown collars.

:confused2:

Craftsman
    Are you referring to the X-33?
    The seamaster professional 300 Chronograph and Seamaster Planete Ocean Chronograph have puxher who work underwater.

Dynamo

Craftsman
    Bump upz

Abusing of Geoff work, letīs give a bump now that Eddie has included this project in the Newsletter.

:wink:

Craftsman
    I know the GMT won't be for 2008,

But this one? Can you tell me something Eddie?

(I think I am needing a DN :evil: )

Journeyman

Re: Dreadnought DN-Q - (PRS-24) Specs

Anything new?

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Uhu
    Anything new?

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

SO Eddie, is this project dead? at least for the time being?
    movement availability I'm guessing??? :cry:

anything new with this or the DN-GMT?
    :D :D :D

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quartz Multifunction DN?

Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by jrpippen View Post
    Quartz Multifunction DN?

Awesome!
    No interest for 5 years though, until yours...

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Not sure many would have seen it. You miserable git!! ;-)

☺ true, but I don't imagine a release is imminent. Of course, Eddie may be sitting surrounded by a batch right now!
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    ☺ true, but I don't imagine a release is imminent. Of course, Eddie may be sitting surrounded by a batch right now!
    Probably covered by cats.

But I do hope it comes to fruition & I’ll be in the queue for one.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Dreadnought DN-Q - (PRS-24) Specs

Exactly R, Its a great idea, far fetched perhaps, impossible, absolutely not,

I would buy one.