closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: At What age did you buy your first "luxury" watches

Craftsman
    Oris Diver's Date at almost 27.

Journeyman
    Omega Seamaster at 31. First Rolex 2016. Hopefully!

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Rolex 16610LV at 30 years old, birthday present to myself.

Victorinox (first watch) @ 18 years old
    Omega Seamaster 300m @ 19 years old
    Rolex Sub 114060 @ 22 years old

So I guess first 'luxury' watch was 19

Master
    I've loved watches since i was a kid and had lots of cheap 'uns then got a nice gold dress watch for my 21st off my mum and dad. Bits and bobs until i got an Oris TT Divers watch when i was about 37, then a Tag and last week a Tudor Grantour. Will be late next year for my next, possibly earlier, probably earlier...
    Last edited by Davidd; 15th November 2015 at 18:57.

Quote Originally Posted by s5dude View Post
    I read an interesting article the other day about buying your first Rolex.
    It said that most people buy their first Rolex aged between 40-45.
    I hate it when I realise that despite my wish to be an individual I am in fact defined by my demographic.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    I hate it when I realise that despite my wish to be an individual I am in fact defined by my demographic.
    Haha! Remember, you're unique - just like everybody else... :)

Apprentice
    A Rolex sub with date when I was 22 or 23. Lovely watch but a naff bracelet that kept coming loose. Wish I had the cash for one now!

Master
    Depends on what you consider 'luxury'. I've got my first 'real' watch, a Hamilton automatic, when I was 20, and then a Breitling SOH for my 21st birthday, but, having seen some of the watches others on here have, I still haven't gotten my first 'luxury' one. No biggie, there's still plenty of time to do that, right?
    Last edited by asteclaru; 15th November 2015 at 19:52.

Master
    Double posted. Is there any way to delete double posts?

I was about 23 when I swapped a portable DVD player and £200 for a BNIB Tag Classic 2000 Auto. My colleague was very happy with the deal and I certainly was considering the rrp was £895.

I sold that watch but found the same model about 6 months ago and bought it. Great little watches which haven't seemed to date over the years.

Craftsman
    Omega seamaster at 25. Black face with the oyster style bracelet - partial trade in three years later for Tank Francaise. Still question the wisdom of not keeping it....

Omega Seamaster Quartz was my first at the age of 34. Still got it. Still Wear it. Still love it. 14 years old now.

Master
    My first proper watch was a TAG SEL professional gold plated 'diver' when I was 24 (1993), I traded it for a Cartier Santos about a year later when I tired of being asked if jimmy Saville minded me wearing his watch.

Got my first (and only) Rolex in 1999 aged 30 although I didn't buy it, I accepted it as part payment for a car I was selling as a friend who wanted the car could not come up with enought cash, It was a vintage rolex but a bit too small for me. I wore it a few times but traded that towards a new Omega SMP quartz and wore that pretty much every day for the next 6 years. My earning potential had improved quite a bit by then so I started the path to owning multiple watches rather than trading one for another every time.

Rolex currently don't make a watch that I prefer more than an Omega or an IWC so I don't know if I'll ever buy one with my own 'hard earned'

Master
    I was seventeen when I brought my Tudor 79090 on the never never, still have it today twenty six years later. I blame my uncle who dived and always wore a Sub or SD.

It was another nine years before I added another watch, an Oris tank case dress watch and a Speedy reduced the year after that...

The first Rolex a 16710 pepsi gmtii not until 2011. I must say over these twenty six years prices have certainly climbed, making reasonably everyday pieces quite hard to obtain without significant investment.
    Last edited by Captain Morgan; 16th November 2015 at 04:41.

White face Super avenger at 27 and now BLNR GMT at 32. Both keepers.

My dad has a white gold datejust that I didnt realize when I was a kid as he wears it as a beater. Lovely timepiece.

Journeyman
    Not sure if it counts as luxury but got a Tag Formula 1 as a gift at 15 then bought another 2nd hand Tag at 18.

Got a 16710 Coke GMT II as a gift for my 21st and then this year at 34 bought myself a 116520 white face Daytona.

at 43 I still haven't really "bought" my first luxury watch.

I have inherited some watches, others have been a gift, the only one expensive I have bought 60% myself is the seamaster gmt, although I don't really consider it a luxury watch.
    it was only 1500 dollars from a grey dealer in san francisco who we had to pay with two separate credit cards.
    so, hardly anything luxury.
    for a hundred dollarsmore I could have bought it from an official dealer, but the shop closed.
    this was probably when I was 31 or 33.
    I don't like spending too much money on luxury watches because I tend to thrash them, so I prefer beaters.
    ok so it was my first bought luxury beater.
    there you go.

Got an Oris Diver at 21 and that got me hooked on watches. Since then I've gotten some Omegas, a Tag, and a Rolex.

Master
    23. After nearly three and a half months on a '14-21day' job on a lay barge I had money burning a hole in my pocket.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by s5dude View Post
    Mate that watch is awesome! Have you ever actually worn it?
    I had one in steel. Ditto what you said.....it got more comments than any other watch I've had.

My first luxury watch was my omega smp when I was 22 I'm nearly 32 and have bought and sold 15-20 watches since 2012. I briefly had a Rolex a couple of years ago for a few days so that doesn't count, bought my first Rolex at 31, a blnr which I bought in April and in June I bought my submariner.

18 years

Master
    After peering in the window many a time at Croydon's Jewelers when I was at college (16-19) I bought a Breitling Navitimer just before I was 24, still have that watch to this day.

I am wanting a Rolex these days and the missus has said to get one for my 40th, only 5 years to go...

Apprentice
    I have not bought one yet.

Thinking about a nice vintage Omega Speedmaster, one made in the first 20 years of production (1957-'77), but i have not started looking yet.

Of course, a vintage Rolex would be nice too.

First expensive watch was a Patek Aquanaut at age 33.

Craftsman
    Bought an Oris TT1 divers in 2006 ( long gone ) and a Breitling Avenger Seawolf in 2011. I'm now 43 and considering a Datejust 41mm.

Journeyman
    I got my first SMP at 35, since then I've had a couple of others but hoping to get a SubC next year.

I have just bought an Omega Speedmaster Professional, but I did buy a vintage Speedmaster Mark II a few months ago. It didn't quite satisfy me and i knew I wanted a moon watch so I will be looking to flip it shortly. I'm 26 and have been told by a certain someone that there will be no more big watch purchases until it's my 30th!

Master
    Rolex GMT Master at 26. The next one was a 36mm Rolex Date with a grey dial, at 34. Then an IWC MKXII at 37. Then the floodgates opened a bit.

Craftsman
    Bought a Omega Seamaster Pro 2531.80 shortly after my 30th birthday as compensation for a crappy weekend break. Booked by me so my fault!

Loved that watch. It was so comfortable. I'd always looked at nice watches, but took me years to eventually take the plunge. Haggled and bought it brand new for £950 down from £1200 from Beaverbrooks. Never thought I'd see battered examples sell for more than I paid!?!

That was over 10 years ago now.......

Apprentice
    At 29

Apprentice
    Well, actually maybe 35 is more correct because all other watches cost under €1000

Craftsman
    I was 38 when I got my first Rolex, a new GMT II. Love it and used to wear it daily, now it is a safe queen because despite its quality feel and look I just love that 'new watch' feeling. I have a fair collection and getting a watch out I haven't had on for months is as good as a new watch most of the time, remembering why I loved it in the first instance all over again. I'm sure the Rolex will be back out soon however,it's been a few months after all ;)
    Hope to get a rose good Daytona by 45. Or platinum if I'm lucky lol.

Master

My wife bought me an Omega SMP(full size Quartz)when my son was born and I bought her a Tag Diamond Dial Aquaracer at the same time!! I was 32 and she was 27!
    Before the Omega SMP my biggest outlay on a watch was my wedding Tag Heuer at 28 but I realised that was just luxury to me not anyone else

Chris

This was my graduation present from my parents and I inherited a Rolex 17000 when I was 26 so I've not bought one myself yet. I've been looking for a sub since my 30th and nearing the end of that search though.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Biff View Post
    Omega Seamaster at 31. First Rolex 2016. Hopefully!
    Speedmaster at 29
    Seamaster Planet Ocean at 31

Considering Seamaster 300... but then perhaps something vintage, or a JLC Reverso...!

guess that would depend on the definition of luxury.
    I bought a 2.5k citizen diver at age 25 that was a big expenditure for me at that time and felt real luxury to me for many years. Next watch was an omega seamaster ploprof 1200m at age 36 (5 years ago ) at which point my watch fetish caught fire 😈...

Gifted my first on my 18th. Ebel Sportwave auto.

Bought my first 3 years later when 21. Rolex date

22: Rolex Datejust in steel. All downhill since there according to my bank balance...

Journeyman
    Always 'in to' watches even as a kid and remember saving up my pennies (literally!!!) for some soviet, manual wind, watch advertised in back of a newspaper when I was about ten. Was chuffed to bits with that until the winder and one of the hands fell off.......

In my later teens (early 80's) was into chrono's and bought a Seiko one with a built in alarm out my mum's catalogue 'on the knock' for about two years.....

Was quite into the style of 'divers' watches (my brother was in the navy and dived and he gave me an 'old Seiko or Citizen' or such-like) and had a run of chunky, rubber-strapped divers, mostly Seiko's as I recall.

My first very expensive watch cost me a fiver at a car-boot circa 1987. Posh area of Sutton Coldfield and the seller didn't have a clue what they had even to my extremely limited knowledge of anything to do with watches. It was a rectangular 1939 gold cased Rolex with small dial seconds hand at 6'o'clock. Paid about £10 to have hand replaced and cleaned up and maybe a fiver on a nice looking black leather strap. Sold the watch maybe 4-5 years later for around £7-800 IIRC, haven't a clue if a good deal all these years later.....

After that a run of £1-200 watches, usually sport chrono' style (lots of Tissots as I recall, still got some in a drawer somewhere....).

First 'premium brand' watch was a TAG and I've probably had a dozen since but no longer like the 'image' of the brand so cannot see me having another.

I was into my 30's before I really 'splashed the cash' in 2002 on a Zenith El Primero Chrono' with a bright yellow dial (very much a 'marmite' watch) that I still have and have no intention of selling.

Most expensive watch I've ever bought was a SS Rolex Daytona. I broke my own 'rule' of never having a watch without a date window and regretted it almost instantly and it was sold, for a small profit, a couple of months later.

Based on income Vs purchase price I bet that Seiko from the catalogue circa 1981 was probably my first 'expensive watch' in reality!!!

I was 30 when I bought my first Swiss watch a humble tag heuer twin time and since then in the space of a few years I have flipped a few the obsession kicks in it.

Craftsman
    First Swiss watch was a tag at 26 a watch I still have and is still my daily wearer

Master
    One man's 'luxury' is another man's 'beater'

Apprentice
    Nothing quite so fancy but I got myself a Nomos Glashütte Club for my 40th birthday.

Journeyman
    Speed master omega moo watch this year... I'm 27. Although my list is growing...

Bought a quartz Tag Heuer when I was about 26. Sold long ago.

Cartier tank at 18 as an off to college present

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogles View Post
    Speed master omega moo watch this year... I'm 27. Although my list is growing...
    Is that a special bovine edition?

Speed Master Pro this year at 47 tempted many, many years earlier, but always felt it would be to extravagant to spend quite a lot of money on a single watch for myself, so probably 25 yrs in the waiting.
    Last edited by geran; 30th November 2015 at 21:23.