closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gin and tonic

Gin and tonic

This has been my summer drink this year ,I much prefer it to vodka and mixer or bacardi,I've only really tried Gordon's or Bombay and generally put a bit of lime in it or maybe a strawberry just messing with flavours really,now I've decided to have a couple tonight,can anyone recommend another gin or good additive,cheers mick

Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    Was always Bombay for me but Hendricks with cucumber is tasty.

When I was at sea (+20years) ago we used to start off in the mess with pink gins. Basically about 2 fingers of Plymouth gin with one drop of angostura. Good starter to a boozy evening.

Try the Plymouth gin anyway to contrast against normal gin. Its interesting.

Love a G & T; very civilised, but imho even Aldi's Gin is plenty good enough for a tipple or two.

Master
    Blog Entries
    caorunn gin

Fevertree light tonic is great as it has no nasty sweeteners and is dry enough to let the Gin shine through.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    My first choice is always Hendricks with Fevertree.
    There is a really nice gin distilled in Winchester called Twisted Nose which I can recommend...serve with a twist of grapefruit.

I usually go for Bombay Sapphire, but I've been hearing very positive things about Monkey 47 so I reckon I'll give that a go next time I buy a bottle of gin.

Master
    Jenson's Gin, either the Bermondsey or the Old Tom both work, ensure its a quality tonic Fevertree or Fentimans, ice and some lime.

http://www.bermondseygin.com/

Master
    I bought one of these on a whim last year. I had one, with fever tree tonic (all as recommended on here) and then it's been sat in the cupboard untouched since when I realised that a) it's an old ladies drink and b) it's a bit horrible (but then, all new alcohol tastes horrible until you get used to it. It's a wonder we all persist with various alcohols until we convince ourselves it tastes nice)

New favourite - yumm

Master
    What the...??!?!

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    New favourite - yumm

With gin and tonic the best way to experiment with flavours is to change the garnish. I like grapefruit peel or a fresh kaffir lime leaf. Oh and the tonic makes a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    New favourite - yumm

Never tried that!!!

Just make sure you check how hot the chilli is first before whacking it in the glass. I usually use Waitrose large red ones which are quite mild to my taste budds but have a loads of flavour.

Blog Entries
    Tanqueray no. 10 was a recent revelation to me, after being a Bombay Sapphire boy for years...

Craftsman
    Hendricks, fever tree with cucumber a very logical next step to the few you've tried so far.

Very different taste to bombay with lime, much smoother.

Visited a pub last week where Puerto de Indias was gin of the week. A new one on me, so I tried it with Fever Tree and lime wedges - delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    My first choice is always Hendricks with Fevertree.
    Ditto. We went out for dinner the other week, though, and the barman suggested we try Monkey 47. Amazing stuff.

Tried the Penderyn Brecon Gin the evening - outstanding!

Master
    Hendricks or Liverpool gin with fever tree tonic.

Liverpool gin is better but is harder to get hold of. (Even in Liverpool)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspector71 View Post
    Tried the Penderyn Brecon Gin the evening - outstanding!
    My wife's favourite too!

Craftsman
    Just in case anybody is interested, Amazon's 'black friday week' currently has Professor Cornelius Ampleforth's Bathtub Gin on offer!
    Normally 30-34 quid a bottle, currently 39% claimed at the sale price of £21.49.

I've ordered a bottle as I think it's great stuff, you definitely can't go wrong for £21.

Cheers,
    Mike

Looks like bathtub is on offer again in the morning on Amazon Black Friday - is it quite robust or subtle? (some of the reviews seemed to suggest overpowering).

I only started drinking Gin last year, been through two bottles of Plymouth and one of Hendricks. Monkey 47 is also a nice one, with lime or cucumber.

Journeyman
    I'm going to The Pint Shop tonight, where they have quite a few (over 70, I believe) gins.

http://pintshop.co.uk/menus/drinks.pdf

Master
    My long term favourite is Xoriguer Mahon gin.

Takes me back to sitting on a sunny terrace every time I have a sip!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Cici View Post
    Looks like bathtub is on offer again in the morning on Amazon Black Friday - is it quite robust or subtle? (some of the reviews seemed to suggest overpowering).
    Cici I don't find it overpowering at all, and most of the reviews on thehwhiskyexchange / master of malt are glowing - having said that I am more of a whisky man and possibly don't appreciate all the subtleties of gin.
    At £21 i don't think you can go wrong in having a punt and seeing if its to your liking.

I also spotted they had the botanist on an amazon lightning sale the other day, so may be worth keeping an eye out if that comes up again as that's another that hit universal acclaim

I love a G & T never tried Hendricks will now though In the 80's when I was known to dabble in the odd snifter I got into drinking Tom Collins cocktails...I need to revisit that taste.
    My partners sisters husband has the biggest collection of Gin I have ever seen...I've sampled a few, maybe one would have been hendricks I'll have to check!

Master
    They've recently opened a Hogarths Gin Palace in my hometown of Bolton, "a traditional Victorian style Gin bar" (complete with Victorian big-screen TVs, though I'm sure the fruit machines are edwardian...)

I can't name many but I've tried a good few from their selection (they have dozens and dozens on the menu) and I have to admit I've become a bit of a convert to Gin. I don't know where they all are but I'm fairly sure it's a chain pub, definitely worth keeping an eye out for if you're ever near one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    My long term favourite is Xoriguer Mahon gin.

Takes me back to sitting on a sunny terrace every time I have a sip!
    Fantastic with grapefruit soda.

Been through most of the more well known varietys, but settled on Tanqueray Rangpur as my current favorite.

Sadly my local Waitrose has stopped stocking it, so had to make do with a No 10 for the time being...( very nicely priced at Costco ! ), made for Martinis, but I like it with just a slice of fresh lime and tonic.

Tempted to try the Old Tom as a Christmas treat.
    And in the New year finally take the tour of the Sipsmith Distillery we had booked in May but had to cancel at the last minute.

K

Hendricks with tonic, ice, and a slice of cucumber peel....

Master
    I'm reliably informed the correct answer is 'Tanquerey No 10, Fever Tree naturally light tonic and a slice of cucumber'.

It's not up for debate either, I'm told. :-)

For the Cognac lovers, the Diet American Style Ginger Ale from M&S is fabulous as a mixer.

Dare I say better (and more subtle) than Fever Tree.

Quote Originally Posted by keitht View Post
    Tempted to try the Old Tom as a Christmas treat.
    And in the New year finally take the tour of the Sipsmith Distillery we had booked in May but had to cancel at the last minute.

K
    Please give my regards to Prudence. Haven't seen her since she moved house. :thumbup:

Just checked bottles and I'm down to under fifteen gins for the first time in years. Seem to be coalescing around some firm favourites including our local from the East London Distilling Company.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy H View Post
    I only started drinking Gin last year, been through two bottles of Plymouth and one of Hendricks. Monkey 47 is also a nice one, with lime or cucumber.
    Tonic, soda, lemonade...?

For some reason I posted this on the other gin thread?

Always fevertree tonic, I get 24 x 200ml bottles off amazon.

For gin my favorites at the moment are:
    Monkey 47
    The botanist Islay dry
    Strathearn Heather Rose
    Last edited by subseastu; 27th November 2015 at 16:57.

Forgot this one, made very local to me

http://www.burleighsgin.com/

Plymouth Navy and Fentimans Tonic for me please

Thanks Mike! With all my talk, I got a bottle of bathtub into my trolley this morning on Amazon, but got dragged off the desk and didn't check out within the 15 mins allowed and lost it :-) Might wait for another or alternatively take the 'Williams Great British Dry Gin' tonight :-)

Embarrassed to admit I'm in my mid 40's and never drunk Gin. Well, tried a G&T once, mayne 20 years ago - made me gag, never again (although I used to drink Whiskey so not anti-spirits) - just tasted rank to me. Tbh alcohol is one of those things I just have never really 'got', I like a beer on a hot day but the rest just doesn't appeal. Haven't drunk a glass of wine in years without it being stuck in front of me at a meal, I will drink it to be sociable and it's okay but prefer diet coke or a glass of tap water. Am I weird!!??

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Embarrassed to admit I'm in my mid 40's and never drunk Gin. Well, tried a G&T once, mayne 20 years ago - made me gag, never again (although I used to drink Whiskey so not anti-spirits) - just tasted rank to me. Tbh alcohol is one of those things I just have never really 'got', I like a beer on a hot day but the rest just doesn't appeal. Haven't drunk a glass of wine in years without it being stuck in front of me at a meal, I will drink it to be sociable and it's okay but prefer diet coke or a glass of tap water. Am I weird!!??
    Yes. I don't trust anyone who chooses not to drink.

That's the thing though. I'm not choosing not to drink out if any crazy moral or other reason, and I've been out with the lads and drunk on a fair few occasions in the past. Not anti drink at all, I just don't really like the stuff - beyond beer I find almost all alcoholic drinks somewhere between tolerable and revolting - and as you can imagine I don't Go spending much money on something I find tolerable at best!

Got a bottle of Williams Great British Extra Dry Gin en route from Amazon Black Friday ... Bathtub is back on offer and the Botanist Islay going on offer at 08:00am ... choices, choices :-)

Bought some bath tub off amazon ,never heard of it before

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_B View Post
    Cici I don't find it overpowering at all, and most of the reviews on thehwhiskyexchange / master of malt are glowing - having said that I am more of a whisky man and possibly don't appreciate all the subtleties of gin.
    At £21 i don't think you can go wrong in having a punt and seeing if its to your liking.

I also spotted they had the botanist on an amazon lightning sale the other day, so may be worth keeping an eye out if that comes up again as that's another that hit universal acclaim
    Thanks again Mike for recommendation

Got a bottle of "Old Tom" Bathtub which is smaller than original but recommended for Tom Collins...

Just had one with dinner - amazing!!!

A quick heads up. Sainsbury's are selling Bombay London Dry Gin for £17 a litre.

I'm not really a fan of Bombay Sapphire (too overpowering for a good G&T) but their London Dry Gin is a big improvement imho.

Cheers,
    Gary

Craftsman
    I like Foxdenton 48

www.foxdentonestate.co.uk

over xmas I tried their raspberry gin and got quite into it, really nice just on ice, no mixer, very more-ish :)