closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: HiGH-END WATCH SALES ADVISOR-What does it pay?

HiGH-END WATCH SALES ADVISOR-What does it pay?

I was wondering what does a high-end watch sales advisor earn? Do they get commission? What can the potential annual earnings be? Does anybody know? Thanks

Working for a high street chain, not a great deal. Working for an independent, the limit is down to how much stock they bring in and turn around profitably - bit like asking how much does an insurance salesman make - some £20k, and one who worked for a former employer, over £1m in commission one year!
    It's just a matter of time...

Yes, it's a bit of an open question just trying to get a rough idea...it's an independent retailer brands include Rolex Omega Breitling Panerai Bell &Ross Cartier etc...

You applying to work in the new Laing store?????
    If so it will depend on how good you are,
    I will speculate around £20k + bonuses, you are not likely to get commission though

Why do you say commission is unlikely?
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Why do you say commission is unlikely?
    I'm referring to Laing in particular, call it first hand experience (although it was 10 years ago so things may have changed)
    Last edited by animalone; 28th November 2015 at 12:40. Reason: clarification

No not thinking of applying for a position in the new Laing store I got a very good job I am just curious as to what you could earn if it was commission based and how many watches you would have to sell to make a good wage. .

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JYvdK View Post
    No not thinking of applying for a position in the new Laing store I got a very good job I am just curious as to what you could earn if it was commission based and how many watches you would have to sell to make a good wage. .
    It depends on your idea of a ""good wage" I suppose!

The last time I was looking at a position in one of the high street chain stores, I got the impression that with bonus taken into account, I could make slightly more than I do in my present job. But I'd have to stand up all day and wear a suit, whereas at least now I can sit down all day and dress like a slob while rich people condescend to me.

I make just over 20K a year.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by seikokiller View Post
    ............... whereas at least now I can sit down all day and dress like a slob while rich people condescend to me.
    OK, you got me............ what do you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Finners View Post
    OK, you got me............ what do you do?
    Shoe shine boy?

When I used work in the trade I had a 25k basic and 7.5% of the profit in any item I sold to my own clients. That was based on experience.
    Starter staff were on 12k + 5%

This was watches and diamonds. Took a holiday to Vegas off one item in 2004 :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    Shoe shine boy?
    If only. I don't have the qualifications.

If only. I don't have the qualifications.
    So you "fix" watches for Panerai
    Last edited by animalone; 28th November 2015 at 15:14.

Grand Master
    When I took early retirement I toyed with the idea of getting into sales. Not sure how it would've panned out; a more mature and enthusiastic salesperson can sometimes come across as more credible.......but there are a number of reasons why I would probably have failed at it.

When buying anything, I prefer to deal with a small independent concern, where the owner deals directly with the customer. Sadly, that's all but disappeared thesedays, most retail outlets are part of big chains, and you're likely to end up dealing with a salesman who's hungry for commission.

Paul

Master
    I once went to buy a watch and the manager I was dealing with offered me a job. He was dead serious as well but I declined. It's not that I wouldn't have enjoyed working in a watch sales environment, but you must come across some right muppets and they'd drive me mad!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    I once went to buy a watch and the manager I was dealing with offered me a job. He was dead serious as well but I declined. It's not that I wouldn't have enjoyed working in a watch sales environment, but you must come across some right muppets and they'd drive me mad!

Had the Tea Lady just resigned?
    RIAC

...whereas at least now I can sit down all day and dress like a slob ...
    Sounds just like my office, since they relaxed the dress policy.

I really don't understand the OP's curiosity on this.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    That's not a shock Wayne, you've got the right personality to work well in sales.

Thanks for your replies gents! Been offline. ...Some interesting comments!

And don't forget to factor in those staff discounts. Which could be a construed as a form of pay supplement

I used to work in wine retail. First question anyone asked me about the job was: do you get good discounts? Thing was, you never drank *cheaper* because of the staff discount, you just drank *better*

Master
    I was offered a job once at a major store, and have now been headhunted by a few through linkedin etc.

Salaries really depends on your knowledge level, experience etc. Obviously working on a shop floor will earn you less than say purchasing/selling in bulk etc. Really depends.

Master
    Blog Entries
    In any of the chain stores, it's unlikely to be that well paid. At the end of the day you're simply a sales assistant to them, ultimately replaceable at the drop of a hat. My experience of these "advisors" lack of training or product knowledge at most chain stores bears this out e.g. I was told in no uncertain terms by one young lady that you couldn't buy unplated white gold jewellery

If you really love the industry and find a job at one of the rare independents then maybe the potential is there to earn reasonably by convincing the owners of your worth.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Had the Tea Lady just resigned?
    Damn it, I've been rumbled!

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    That's not a shock Wayne, you've got the right personality to work well in sales.
    I must admit, I've always enjoyed the sales part of my jobs.