closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Re-dials - what's the general feeling on them?

Journeyman
    London, Bournemouth, Taunton (or somewhere in between)

Re-dials - what's the general feeling on them?

Just wondering what the general perception is on re-dialed watches? Do a lot people avoid them is they're not 100% original, or are they considered ok if done properly?

I've had my eye on a Rolex datejust that's been on ebay for a couple of years now. I asked about it on here a couple of years ago (or at least one very similar) and the feedback was that it was an aftermarket dial. I'm just not sure about spending a couple of grand on something that's not 100% Rolex.

I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

Grand Master
    All depends on the watch and the price.

I wouldn`t be happy with a refinished dial on a Datejust, but I`m more than happy on a 60s Omega.

The reason for this is simple. Replacement genuine Rolex dials are available, but replacements for most 60s Omegas aren't. In the case of the latter, a good refinished dial is the only option to smarten up a scruffy watch. Not as desirable as a good original (or an original showing very light patina) but far better than a scruffy tarnished mess.

With the number of genuine Rolex replacement dials in circulation, there's no reason to have a dial refinished IMO. Unless it's done to such a high standard that an expert can`t tell the difference, it devalues the watch.

Paul

One of mine just went in for a service and they wanted to replace the dial as its 40 years old and has a little corrosion but even a genuine new part isn't great in my opinion. There's obviously a value to and price for everything, but if it's been on eBay for 2 years it's obviously undesirable and over priced. Could we have a picture?

Quote Originally Posted by Spudders View Post
    ... that's been on ebay for a couple of years now.
    Kind of says it all, doesn't it?

A couple of years!? Shocking, I'd stay well clear!

Unless the watch is substantially reduced price wise to reflect the dial and you are happy with that deal - run like hell. If it has taken the current seller two years and yet to find a buyer you will never be able to flip it. If however, you want it as a keeper, you accept the dial and you negotiate a good price then go for it.

Journeyman
    Last edited by Spudders; 2nd December 2015 at 00:04.

For me, a 're-dialed' watch means an original dial that has some wear and tear, imperfections that's been restored to its original condition.
    I believe the market perception (whether right or wrong) is that such restored watches should costs less than one that is all original. I have no problem getting a re-dialed watch so long as full disclosure is made and it is priced accordingly.
    An aftermarket dial = fake. I would avoid such dials.

For the subject DJ, if it's listed on EBay for some time already, definitely not a good start!
    DJs are not that difficult to find, so my view is to spend your $$$ elsewhere.

Chye

If there is a ready choice between a good original dial and a repainted one I would pick the original every time. I think everyone would.

In reality this can require patience for one to come along and it does depend on the watch - age, availability and whether the dial lends itself to being refinished.

After market dials are a different thing altogether. Maybe on a cheap mod but never on something like a datejust.

There is a distinction between:

1) redialled I.e. A factory replacement, possibly a service replacement
    2) the refinishing of the original dial
    3) a fake dial refinished to look like the original

In all of the examples above it's the buyers choice if the seller is transparent, sadly many are not, I remember a few years back there was a thread that I think got pulled when a firm on the south coast and prolific eBay seller (west or eaxt suxxex waxxhes, can't quite remember) was selling all manor of redialled oysterdates in dial configurations that were never produced by Rolex but made no mention of this in the adverts.

All 3 have an impact to price, and generally I would stay away from them on any collectible watch but if your grandads watch dial is knackered and you wanted to cosmetically return it to its former glory then why not. The point is that if the seller is transparent and you know what your getting then you have a choice to make and the price should reflect that.

Quote Originally Posted by watch-nut View Post
    There is a distinction between:

1) redialled I.e. A factory replacement, possibly a service replacement
    2) the refinishing of the original dial
    3) a fake dial refinished to look like the original
    Nail, meet hammer. (I'm trying to say the point has been hit perfectly but phrasing etc).

I've recently bought a vintage Seiko helmet chronograph and its been redialled, but there was total transparency about the fact and its a genuine dial used in the watch. This is a relatively cheap purchase and I don't intend on selling it so personally, the resale doesn't apply. I like the way it looks, and a new dial that fits with the overall look of the watch doesn't detract from the enjoyment, for me.

That said, most repainted or relumed dials I've seen are ghastly.

Quote Originally Posted by dice View Post
    Nail, meet hammer. (I'm trying to say the point has been hit perfectly but phrasing etc).

I've recently bought a vintage Seiko helmet chronograph and its been redialled, but there was total transparency about the fact and its a genuine dial used in the watch. This is a relatively cheap purchase and I don't intend on selling it so personally, the resale doesn't apply. I like the way it looks, and a new dial that fits with the overall look of the watch doesn't detract from the enjoyment, for me.

That said, most repainted or relumed dials I've seen are ghastly.
    Not sure I'm quite so purist about OEM vs Aftermarket, but a non-Rolex dial on a Rolex is likely to reduce the value for most people.

If you particularly like an aftermarket dial, but the watch isn't priced accordingly, I guess you need decide if you're prepared to accept the hit when you sell...

M

Thomas Reid
    If it turns a watch you aren't keen on wearing into a watch you are keen on wearing, then I'm all for it.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Would never tolerate a repainted dial.

A re-placed dial not original to the watch but of the correct type/age is a different proposition.

That said there are enough watches around to find good clean examples of most models you may want without buying worn out stuff which often costs more to bring up to snuff anyway.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

I'd much prefer to see a watch live again, rather than get binned because of a crappy dial.

Yes, I'll always much prefer an original dial, but I have had a couple of watch restored because the dials were too far gone, even thought the rest of the watch was in lovely condition.

Sometimes you gotta do these things.

Banned
    yes on the old 6309 Seiko I just bought I didn't want it original

Journeyman
    Thank you all for your feedback so far, much appreciated.

are you sure it's aftermarket? The Sigma sign to the T Marking is quite unusual for a non genuine replacement. Or has it been relumed?

If the Price is right take it and spend the rest in some extra genuine dials.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ILoveWatches View Post
    are you sure it's aftermarket? The Sigma sign to the T Marking is quite unusual for a non genuine replacement. Or has it been relumed?

If the Price is right take it and spend the rest in some extra genuine dials.
    From the research I've done previously, I've been told that the DJ was never made in this burgundy colour, so it must be aftermarket I assume.

Banned
    If At first You Don't Succeed Redefine Success !
    When it comes to Rolex nothing but 100% genuine will do unless the watch is selling cheap enough that the money saved will pay for the parts needed to bring it back to 100% Gen......

I've got a different view on this (mainly as I have swapped dials on a number of datejusts to give a different look). As long as that watch is not more expensive than an equvialent one with an original dial, you can happily source a genuine loose dial at a later date to swap in if you want to sell it.

I think that dial pictured looks quite smart really - if it is the colour that appeals to you - why not? - I like a bit of indiviudality, and it's not like you will see another one.

Quote Originally Posted by Corporalsparrow View Post
    I'd much prefer to see a watch live again, rather than get binned because of a crappy dial.

Yes, I'll always much prefer an original dial, but I have had a couple of watch restored because the dials were too far gone, even thought the rest of the watch was in lovely condition.

Sometimes you gotta do these things.
    Not necessarily.

I just don't buy a watch unless the dial is original and in very good condition.

It can cost more in the long run on something that will always be worth less.

Vintage watches don't get binned either as someone will always want them for spares.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by carryondentist View Post
    I've got a different view on this (mainly as I have swapped dials on a number of datejusts to give a different look). As long as that watch is not more expensive than an equvialent one with an original dial, you can happily source a genuine loose dial at a later date to swap in if you want to sell it.

I think that dial pictured looks quite smart really - if it is the colour that appeals to you - why not? - I like a bit of indiviudality, and it's not like you will see another one.
    Agreed.

People are forever changing dials on DJ's as there are so many to choose from.

It doesn't hurt the value providing it is an original Rolex dial of the right time period.

Rolex themselves changed many over in the past when they came in for service and the owner fancied a change.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Mine's had the same dial since I bought it in 1984............ Eee, it were all green fields 'round 'ere then...

F.T.F.A.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by carryondentist View Post

That's a good point

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Mine's had the same dial since I bought it in 1984............ Eee, it were all green fields 'round 'ere then...

And why would you change it Bob?

Looks great!
    Cheers,
    Neil.