closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch collection, time for a rethink?

Watch collection, time for a rethink?

So I have quite a wide range of watches
    1996 datejust
    1995 Universal Geneve Senna 41
    1996 Omega Seamaster Professional
    Aevig Valkyr
    Seiko Baby Tuna
    Scurfa Diver One NATO
    Scurfa Diver One Stainless
    Citizen Royal Marines Ltd Edition
    Citizen EcoDrive Ltd Edition
    And a few ultra affordables, Invicta etc for modding.

Now the issue come when I don't like the Senna 41 or the Datejust anymore so I've decided they are going to be replaced with

2015 Omega Seamaster 300
    1998 Rolex Submariner

But with those two I'm sure that would be 90% of my wrist time so should I get rid of some of my others?

I'm looking at keeping my collection to

2015 seamaster
    1996 seamaster
    1998 submariner
    2x citizen limited editions
    Aevig Valkyr
    2x Scurfa

But then looking at that I'm only loosing the tuna, so I'm tempted to add the Scurfa stainless to the bye bye list. No point selling the Invictas as they are worth pennies.

Argh I don't know what to do.

May end up keeping the bloody lot.

Honestly don't even know if there is a question in here or a mindless babble.

Sorry

Callum

Journeyman
    It's hard to decide alright. If something hasn't been worn for months, maybe put it out of sight away in a box for another month, and if you haven't missed it after the month, then sell it. I think our tastes change over time anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by kit7 View Post
    It's hard to decide alright. If something hasn't been worn for months, maybe put it out of sight away in a box for another month, and if you haven't missed it after the month, then sell it. I think our tastes change over time anyway.
    That's a good idea actually.

I may do one a month and see if I miss it.

I may just end up with my two seamaster and my submariner in the end as I'm sure they will ve the ones with the most wrist time

You probably won't know whether you want the fringe watches around or not until you've got the core settled.

Having said that, it's a rare man lucky enough to feel any part of his collection is settled.

I have a friend who lives a life of almost austere minimalism. I asked him once how he avoids accumulating the detritus that most of us do
    'Easy', he said 'before I buy anything new I ask myself what I will replace and that will be sold. If I don't like it more then I keep the status quo'

A recent book written by a woman on de cluttering has you ask a simple question for each object...does it bring you joy?. If not get rid. Something I am trying to do

Quote Originally Posted by Pubdweller View Post
    A recent book written by a woman on de cluttering has you ask a simple question for each object...does it bring you joy?. If not get rid. Something I am trying to do
    Marie Kondo's "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up", and despite the title it really is very good. We do have an intuitive emotional reaction to most of our things, including watches, and it's a good way to know what to keep and what to get rid of. If it doesn't make you feel good, it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    Marie Kondo's "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up", and despite the title it really is very good. We do have an intuitive emotional reaction to most of our things, including watches, and it's a good way to know what to keep and what to get rid of. If it doesn't make you feel good, it goes.
    Thanks- that was it!

It's amazing how much 'stuff' you accumulate over time. I live in fear of throwing something out that I then need but realistically if that was the case I wouldn't have it packaged up somewhere. 2016 I have decided will be the year of less

Master
    Nice collection there. I myself have gone to the other extreme. I've recently bought a Rolex SubC and that is the watch I now wear 24/7 and I like it that way. I originally had one watch for 33 years until I discovered WIS madness, I have bought countless watches 'Looking for the one' I have come full circle and now think I have now found it. It was a lot of fun getting there.
    All the best kev.

I think three watches is the ideal number for myself. I think any extra would really struggle to get wrist time. Work/Formal dressy watch, Weekend/casual diver style watch & something cheap like a G shock for holidays, DIY etc.

Master
    I had friends who moved house in a rather chaotic way, and only unpacked things as they needed them. After a few months they found that while about two-thirds of their boxes were unpacked, they couldn't really remember what was in them, so - enjoying their new-found minimalism - chucked them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    I had friends who moved house in a rather chaotic way, and only unpacked things as they needed them. After a few months they found that while about two-thirds of their boxes were unpacked, they couldn't really remember what was in them, so - enjoying their new-found minimalism - chucked them out.
    My wife and I were both in the forces and moved house every three years.

After our 3rd move we still had boxes stacked up that we hadn't looked in for 3 years.

Everything went to the tip.

Only realised a few weeks later our wedding certificate was in there :O

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by durhamcockney View Post
    Only realised a few weeks later our wedding certificate was in there :O
    :-)

This practise also explains all those watch ads which say: "Box and papers lost in house move"...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    :-)

This practise also explains all those watch ads which say: "Box and papers lost in house move"...
    Unless it's on gumtree, then expect it to be a super rare quartz Submariner