closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rum

Master

Rum

I have always been a "bourbon" man (I use the term loosely to encompass all those Kentucky / Sour Mash / Bourbony type drinks - I am not an expert, though I do enjoy it).

Anyway, bizarrely I saw a thread here on chilli-oil, where someone had made some and put in in a Kraken Rum bottle, which somehow ended up in me buying a bottle of Kraken Rum, despite having never drunk rum before (other than Bacardi and coke!). I just really liked the bottle!

Well, it was amazing, and is my new favourite drink! I think it's the "spiced" part that I particularly enjoy.

So, any rum experts here care to make any suggestions?

Arrrrrrrr!

How does the kraken in the weird bottle compare to Morgan's spiced?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alexaff View Post
    How does the kraken in the weird bottle compare to Morgan's spiced?
    No idea - Kraken is the only spiced rum I have ever tasted! As I say, other than Bacardi & coke it's the only rum full stop i've ever tasted.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    If you liked the kraken try a bottle of sailor jerry.

mike

Master
    Sailor Jerry is a little more vanillary- got a bottle of Morgan's black spiced rum last year- very nice
    Ps that was my oil - love the ceramic bottle
    http://media-verticommnetwork1.netdn...17314-s237.jpg

Goslings Back Seal has long been my favourite.

And for special occasions, the Family Reserve Old rum http://www.goslingsrum.com/our-produ...serve-old-rum/

slurping a small tot of Kraken as I write! very smooth drink

Journeyman
    If you like the slightly sweeter smoother spiced rum try the bacardi oakheart. I was pleasantly surprised.

El Dorado 12

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Goslings Back Seal has long been my favourite.

And for special occasions, the Family Reserve Old rum http://www.goslingsrum.com/our-produ...serve-old-rum/
    This. Goslings is fantastic stuff. Also great in a Bermuda fish chowder if you can find sherry peppers

Master
    Blog Entries

Often available in waitrose c£20

Quote Originally Posted by IanBear View Post
    This. Goslings is fantastic stuff. Also great in a Bermuda fish chowder if you can find sherry peppers
    I'm not sure where to get Sherry Pepper sauce, but I'd guess it's pretty easy to make - sherry, peppers, spices.

The Rum Sherry Peppers does both for you in a single bottle!

Master
    Goslings Black Seal for me, too, usually in a Dark And Stormy.
    Interestingly there is now a rum producer in Scotland, Dark Matter, I haven't tried it but the reports are good:

http://www.darkmatterdistillers.com/

Apprentice

I picked up a bottle of the 12 year old on a trip round the Appleton rum estate, Jamaica last week.

An excellent and informative tour but couldn't quite stretch to 5500 dollars for the 50 year old

I bought a bottle of kraken tonight, wow, it is really good. Thanks for the recommendation OP.

Got a bottle of Gosling's Today from Waitrose, enjoying a Dark 'N Sormy before Star Wars!

Thanks for the inspiration Rum Officanados...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pastrana72 View Post
    I bought a bottle of kraken tonight, wow, it is really good. Thanks for the recommendation OP.
    Great, isn't it!

Thanks for all the replies!

Kraken is good stuff and generally far better than the likes of Captain Morgain. Sailor Jerry is good stuff, but in the last few years seems to have jumped from £14 to £20 a bottle and was better before they changed it - the old lable version.

Try Ron Aquere Caramilo - in a metal bottle - it is seriously good stuff, like liquid caramel with a gentle rum taste - so smooth that it would be a sin to put anything in it.

Now, if only my watch collection was as good as my rum collection.....

how to do a screenshot on a pc

Master
    I picked up a bottle of the 12 year old on a trip round the Appleton rum estate
    I got a taste for Appletons after serving in Belize for 4 months, still love it especially the aged bottles.

One of the most interesting rums I've tasted was by Lost Spirits, in Monterey County, Sonoma. They seem to have come up with a process to chemically age spirits over a matter of days (they'd previously worked on whisk(e)y to try and get an Islay-like flavour profile). Interesting stuff - Navy at 55% and a 68% "Polynesian" which is astounding.

Just bought a bottle of Kraken for Christmas, never tried a spice rum before s should be interesting

Master
    The Kraken is, for me, the first spirit I have ever drunk that really doesn't "kick" and burn in the mouth (whatever that means, sorry I am clearly not a tasting expert!) - it is so smooth it's hard to believe it's 40% alcohol! It definitely makes drinking too much too fast a risk!

Where has this drink been all my life whilst I have bee struggling to completely enjoy the burny bourbons!

Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva.
    It's sublime and my favourite drink of all time.
    I've corrupted 4 or 5 whiskey and brandy drinking friends with it.
    I'd also rate the El Dorado 12 and 21. The 21 is not cheap.
    I'm going to help a friend with his Colombian Dictador 12 this Christmas.
    Buy a Diplomatico Exclusiva though, you won't regret it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wexford View Post
    Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva. .
    Is it a spiced rum like Kraken? I have never had "straight" rum before. Looks good though - I am always attracted more to well packaged drinks - they look better on the drinks table!

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Is it a spiced rum like Kraken? I have never had "straight" rum before. Looks good though - I am always attracted more to well packaged drinks - they look better on the drinks table!
    No. It's a real rum, containing rums aged up to 12 years (from memory). Forget packaging. You wouldn't buy a watch for its box.

Kraken isn't a spiced rum that you'd recognise if you'd been drinking anywhere in Grenada or Barbados.

Get yourself over to a decent bar and start drinking real rum. Or whisky. Or bourbon. Or gin. There's a lot more out there than the sickly sweet, overly vanilla'd, cinnamon inkiness of Kraken.

I have a bottle on my shelf. It's fine with shed loads of ice, lime and coke. But there's so much more out there...

I didn't want to be the first to say spiced rum was just a marketing mans concoption for the sweet toothed
    If you want to dabble in real rum then £26 on a bottle of angostura 1919 from waitrose/sainsburys is a good place to start.

Journeyman
    I'm a huge rum fan. Favourites are Kraken, Appleton & Havanah Club.

My love of rum happened purely by chance. I was sailing in Croatia with 8 friends and on the last day we had run out of beer, wine, vodka and whiskey. The disaster was averted when I found a 2ltr bottle of white rum and 2 bottles of Sprite in the back of a cupboard.

Rum and Sprite is now my summer drink of choice, I think it's half the flavour and half the memories of that trip.

Craftsman
    Forget all that stuff - find some Flor de Cana 12 yr and you won't look back!
    If you can track it down, Flor de Cana Centenario 21 though it wasn't easy to come by when I last tried a couple of years ago.
    Ron de Zacapa isn't too bad either along with Havana Club Selectionne de Maestro or 7 yr

Chop the top off a coconut, sip some of the coconut water and then top up the coconut with said rum. Lay back in your hammock sipping on the coco and rum.. wake up in time for the fisherman to come in with their catch!!!

Just introduced my wife to kraken and Coke. "Wow, this is great, how much have you got and do not drink it all" was he reply.

Rum and Sprite that sounds cool, got to try that sometime.
    Last edited by pastrana72; 20th December 2015 at 23:18.

Craftsman
    By far my favourite is St Nicholas Abbey 15 Year

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-19577.aspx

Silly expensive to buy over here though. We take our empty bottle back ever year to get it refilled. It's become something of a tradition.

The 10 year is also very good as is the white.

Quote Originally Posted by Barney12 View Post
    By far my favourite is St Nicholas Abbey 15 Year

The 10 year is also very good as is the white.
    Nice. Big fan of Bajan rum.

Used to sit there on the porch drinking rum and lime over ice, listening to the sound of the turtles hatching...

Craftsman
    I've been inspired by this thread to get some Kraken. I don't usually like dark spirits, so I'm hoping this one is a winner.

Apprentice
    Definitely would recommend Appleton Jamaican rum or if you fancy a white rum, Wray & Nephew is highly recommended, its in a totally different league from Bacardi, and goes down very well over ice with Pepsi (not coke) 😆👍👌🎉. Merry Christmas all

Master
    Visited Turtle Bay Restaurant (a small chain) and they have 40 different types of rum so a great place to taste- served over ice with lime

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jmitch View Post

Often available in waitrose c£20
    ^^^this one, ignore the rest😄

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    Visited Turtle Bay Restaurant (a small chain) and they have 40 different types of rum so a great place to taste- served over ice with lime
    Their 2 for 1 rum cocktails are quite potent. I had one with Wray and Nephew rum whatever that is.

Master
    Am I right in thinking that there are three types of rum then; white, dark and "spiced" (which is, I think, just dark rum + sugar & spice).

Does white and dark rum taste very different?

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Am I right in thinking that there are three types of rum then; white, dark and "spiced" (which is, I think, just dark rum + sugar & spice).

Does white and dark rum taste very different?
    Flavoured.

Aged.

Golden.

Over-proof.

There's no standard categorisation of which I'm aware.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stifflersmom View Post
    I've been inspired by this thread to get some Kraken. I don't usually like dark spirits, so I'm hoping this one is a winner.
    well?...

As for the Diplomatico recommendation, it is going on daily deal at amazon later on, so might pick one up if the price is reasonable (currently at £38.45 so it might go to £30 or so)

I am looking into all the other suggestions too, but am waiting for offers since I will be buying without having first tasted.

Appleton Estate a very smooth option, and Mountgay from Barbados quite pleasant

I'm a massive rum fan, and have just been recommended Diplomatica Reserva by a friend, so the wife got me a bottle for Xmas. Haven't opened it yet, but I'm really looking forward to it. I also have a bottle of Pussers, which is an old favourite of mine, as well as some Kraken which is actually very cheap over here in the US. I quite fancy trying the Angostura mentioned above, but that will have to wait a while..

Big shout for Doorly's and El Dorado 12 - either is good on rocks with a chunk of lime in.

- - - Updated - - -

Big shout for Doorly's and El Dorado 12 - either is good on rocks with a chunk of lime in.

I'm drinking 15 year El Dorado which is pretty good - it's a sipping rum for me when I want to relax. I also want to try Flor de Cana since it's made with sugar cane instead of molasses and I'm curious as to how it tastes.

Master
    If a man had been lucky enough to buy a rare bottle of spiced rum rum at a knock down price in the sales section of a watch forum, would it be best neat or would anyone suggest a mixer?

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    If a man had been lucky enough to buy a rare bottle of spiced rum rum at a knock down price in the sales section of a watch forum, would it be best neat or would anyone suggest a mixer?
    Neat, then if you aren't keen on it, with ice; if you still aren't keen, with ice and a chunk of lime; then as a last resort try it with ice, lime and a dollop of full fat coca-cola.

I'll give another vote of confidence to Sailor Jerry's; very smooth. Another tip I was introduced too, which sounded disgusting but works great, is to use cherry coke as a mixer rather than plain coke. Add a squeeze of lime and you have a very enjoyable way to pass the time :)

Craftsman
    Update: loving Kraken with ginger beer. Not as much as Mrs Stifflersmom though so will have to restock before New Year. I'll try Sailor Jerry next.

Blog Entries
    Does the Havana club 7 years or more fall under the over vanilla'd umbrella of rums or is it a decent rum brand ?

Grand Master
    I found a litre bottle of Woods 100 when we cleared my mums place..must open it soon!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    Does the Havana club 7 years or more fall under the over vanilla'd umbrella of rums or is it a decent rum brand ?
    Havana Club make some decent rums for the price. Nothing wrong with the Anejo / 7 Ano at all.