timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Knife as a present - help appreciated

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    And it's rigorously applied: link.

Too rigorously IMO...
    I expect this was a locking Swiss Army knife and not the old style knifes.

Quote Originally Posted by soapy View Post
    I expect this was a locking Swiss Army knife and not the old style knifes.
    No it wasn't. This was the usual Daily Fail selective reporting. What really happened was he had a serious knife and threatened to stab somebody with it.

http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/...ail/story.html

Banned
    So nothing like a Swiss Army knife then

Back to what we said not everything is illegal

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus fenix View Post
    No it wasn't. This was the usual Daily Fail selective reporting. What really happened was he had a serious knife and threatened to stab somebody with it.

Ah yes I remember that one well, very clever use of the legal system by that mans team.

Funny, I don't remember the Daily Fail doing a follow up article about how wrong they got it (again).

Very glad to be corrected...in this case.

From the Western Morning News article, a quote:

"The vehicle was searched for a weapon and a Buck Whittaker lock knife was found. The knife is illegal and has a serrated edge."

This is where the problem starts, right here. Unless it is a flick knife or assisted opening (which I don't believe it is) it is not illegal! You need a reason for carrying it because it locks, but apart from that there is nothing inherently "illegal" about the knife, only the circumstances in which it was carried.

Master
    I have:

14" Kukri in the kitchen , used for jointing meat occasionally and most often trimming the christmas tree to fit into its stand ( every bloody year!!!) . Never leaves the house.

Leatherman Ti , this has a locking blade and cannot reasonably be carried in public . However if I'm working I usually have it in my luggage as my spare. Otherwise it never leaves the house.

Swiss Army Champ , this is my everyday carry. I don't take it anywhere that is remotely dodgy and rarely take it to social engagements. Most of my colleagues know I carry it and often ask to borrow it. This was taken from me by Police ( I volunteered it) when I was arrested after a complete stranger attacked me without warning and he was left somewhat injured . I did not use the knife (never even thought to use it) , just had it on me at the time. Was given back to me in court when I was aquitted. ( It was covered in blood but it was my own where it had seeped into my pocket ).

Uzi , lock knife. Its about 4 " but has a thick heavy blade ...I think someone gave me this years back. Its a rather nasty scifi looking thing , locking folder but its almost gravity assist as its very easy to throw open the heavy blade and have it snap into lock if you put enough 3 in 1 on the hinge. This is buried in a box someplace and apart from not liking the knife very much I'm pretty sure it would get you into trouble if you got stopped with it. The blade is like shotblasted carbon steel I think. It holds an amazing edge and the tip is somewhat tanto-ish , seems designed for sad combat wannabees more than anything.

Last time I used it was to cut up carpet for my mother in law . I handed out all my spare knives to about 4 family members who were hacking the carpet apart.

The briefcase sized toolkit I occasionally used in work disappeared during an office move a while back, so I've just bought a leatherman wave with the bit set as a replacement. It will probably stay in my work backpack. (They are only £73 on Amazon at the moment).
    Also have a single blade Alox Victorinox SAK Pioneer and a small Opinel.
    Nothing is legal to carry over here. But tools are fine as long as you can prove a use for them. Both the Victorinox SAK and the Opinel usually sit in my drawer keeping my socks company.
    Last edited by redsnapper; 27th December 2015 at 18:13.

Just got this. Small enough for it to be ignored but an effective tool. 2 features I must have, opens with one hand and locks solid. Sharp? cut myself taking these pictures. Jack Pike Coppice knife, £9.25 delivered on Amazon.

Banned
    if it locks it wont be ignored, keep it for fishing don't take it into town.

Master
    I once visited the restaurant at 30 St Mary Axe (the Gherkin) with my Spyderco UKPK in my pocket (as it usually is). It was confiscated at security and when I went to collect it afterwards the security guard spent ages opening and closing it (the originals have a very stiff slip joint, around 20lbs of force), before handing it to me and giving me some very funny looks. I did wonder if I was going to have to argue the case for it being UK legal!
    Does the restaurant in question provide you with sufficiently sharp steak knives when they serve you meat? Personally, I would not want to eat in a place where they have a security portal and guards that would confiscate my Laguiole (never happens in France, it's legally a culinary utensil - what if the steak knives in the resto are not sharp enough? The thought...).