closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First comments after the Star Wars VII release

I've seen worse. It's got a wookie in it, what more do you want?
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

I thought it was awesome. For the first time in a lot of visits, no one in the whole cinema left the auditorium during the film. A great return to the original film's simplicity.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    I've seen worse. It's got a wookie in it, what more do you want?
    My kids were totally transfixed by the wookie..mind you he IMO the coolest character in Star Wars period

Took my older kids to see it yesterday, they missed out on the originals at the cinema but had the misfortune to see the later ones.

Overall reaction was "meh".

Some great bits, some daft bits- another Death Star? Don't these people ever learn?

I'm more disappointed that you couldn't really tell it was a JJ Abrams film, bit bland overall. I thought his reimagined Star Trek films were much much better.

Still at least two more to go ...

Quote Originally Posted by maxwellwd View Post
    My kids were totally transfixed by the wookie..mind you he IMO the coolest character in Star Wars period
    Correct
    No 1 - wookie
    No 2 - R2
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Personally,the character that transfixed me the most in Star Wars was Princess Leia in the Jabba gold bikini slave constume.

I saw this again yesterday, and I enjoyed it that little bit more than the first time. Plus some 8 year old lad sat next to me and cried his eyes out at a certain point. I wish I was that emotionally invested in a film at that age.

I still maintain it just has that Star Wars feel that was missing from the prequels.

Saw it earlier this evening

Excellent - I think that they got just about everything right with great references to the first three. Super attention to detail with all sorts of things going on in the background. I loved it.

Looking forward to seeing it again.

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Good grief....by default that means you prefer the crap that was Episode 1 and all the Jar Jar Binks based plop that entailed. That means your views are null and void and should be ignored ;-)

I went to see it today with my 10 year old son. We both thought it was great and thoroughly enjoyed it and the ending has definitely left us desperate for the next episode.

Possible small spoiler next
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

I thought Kylo Ren was a pretty good bad guy-menacing etc-until he took of his mask. The actor playing him just looks too 'nice' and the removal of the mask takes away the menace. He should've kept it on.
    You obviously dont know that jar jar was the super sith master infiltrated within the jedis to facilitate the creation of the empire.

Saw it with the family yesterday, really enjoyed it, it had the feel of the originals, but the storylines and parallels to the first ones were perhaps too similar and easy to spot.
    Cheers..
    Jase

There are still few things in the universe as impressive as a light sabre fight.

Apprentice
    I saw it the other night when visiting family... It was better than I expected. I thought the new characters were very good and the detail was excellent. The big let down for me was the story line regarding the new death star and how easy it was to destroy. The original death star battle was the climax of the three films and the battle to destroy its shields was amazing. In the new film it just took 5 mins of planning, no visits from obi to tell luke to use the force... I just thought this a little sped up...

Watched it with most of the family, taking up 10 seats of the cinema - a kid a few rows in front was bouncing up and down so much as soon as it started, I was sure he was going to wet himself before the end of the film!

On the whole it was good, or at least entertaining - the kids 13/14 and my wife loved it. Even my folks and girlfriend enjoyed it, which is unusual.

I also felt Kylo should have kept the mask on, at least until confronting Han.

I'll be watching the next two no doubt.
    It's just a matter of time...

Apprentice
    Did you take your wife and your girlfriend? I went with my wife but planned on taking my girlfriend another time! ;)

Just back after watching it in imax.

Oh yes. Loved it. I was actually going to ask my mum to take me as she took me to the first 2 when I was a young un but then thought she'd be bored. Would have liked that though for the extra nostalgia. However going with 5 mates was just as exciting.

Me, SWMBO & the two kids went yesterday to see it. What a superb film, even the missus (who was very sceptical) enjoyed it.

I recently watched episodes II & III in preparation (and IV with my 12 year old the day before just because it's so good) and the force awakens blew me away, easily the best so far.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by maxwellwd View Post
    The bugger didn't look a day older either ;-}

I went to see it a couple of days ago in a D-Box enabled theatre (seats move). Defo recommend that if you can get to one.

Rob.

Master
    I watched it the other day with the wife, she was indifferent but I loved it. Thinking of going back to watch it again with my boy (who loves the Star Wars cartoons) but he's only 4. Is he too young?

Blog Entries
    Excellent overall . Daisy Ridley was a great character and really carried the film. Some good scenes with Finn and comedic parts. Some parts didn't make sense like Finns sudden magnanimous decision to switch sides. Also the star killer bases destruction as mentioned above was wrapped up to neatly and quickly.
    The unmasked Kylo Ben Ren was a bit cod. When masked though sounded terrifying.
    My 6 year old and his cousin sort of liked it but I guess they don't have the nostalgia for which this film aimed hard at.

Seen it twice.
    Thumbs up

Master
    Blog Entries
    I really need to see it again!!

I enjoyed it but I was expecting to be blown away and I kinda wasn't! But I did have some goosebump moments - intro (as always) and death of You know who!!

I think JJ packed too much into this and the film would be a lot better simply with things taken out.

In order of what I remember:

Millenium Falcon - didn't like the way it was bashing / skipping along the ground in CGI glory - just rewatched the OT and much more realistic with good ol models

The Freighter CGI monsters - this was the big "oh dear" moment and took me back to the prequels with those stupid CGI monsters - it was unnecessary and looked out of place.

C3PO was annoying as soon as he was on screen (ok more annoying in a prequel way) - he was kind of unnecessary this time around

Kylo Ren should have kept the mask on - it was too soon to reveal himself and the mystery about him gone too soon

Snoke looks bad - hope its just the hologram and he looks less like a prequel character when we eventually see him

The new "Cantina" owner was again too much prequel CGI looking (would have preferred a puppet) and the lightsaber discovery could have been done better

The "new death star" was totally unnecessary - should have just kept it as a huge battle

Rae was a bit wooden at the start acting wise but eventually got up to speed (guess confidence). However I think she is going to be great!!

Think they overdid the comedy a little (lines etc) for my personal taste

I think with the above fixed it would have been a more enjoyable and stronger film (especially freighter scene monsters and death star taken out)

Things I loved:

New Characters
    New Storm Troopers
    New Droid
    Kylo Ren
    Overall Sets - just like A New Hope in some scenes!!
    The more subtle humour (Storm Troopers recognising Kylo in a bad mood hence depart the scene)

I really believe it would have been superb with some things removed to give it some breathing space!

However I have the urge to see it again soon!!
    Last edited by kultschar; 30th December 2015 at 17:16.

Most of what needs to be said has been said at some point in this thread, and while you can pick holes in most films given the direction of the series JJ got it right much more than he got it - depending on your opinion - wrong, finding a decent balance between the film/fans/franchise, making amends for past mistakes in recent episodes and teeing it up for the future. Job done.
    Last edited by eduk; 1st January 2016 at 10:14.

Who thinks that Kylo Ren is really a good guy trained by Luke to infiltrate and Destroy the Darkside?

First thoughts are:

(As has been said) Story line felt too similar to Episodes 4-6 to really get me excited about the plot lines, Ren felt like DVv2 but no where near as effective (but then I was under 10 when I saw the first film!) and the actor who plays him looked a bit whimpy when he took the mask off, special effects were good and I'm interested to see where they take the story line.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by MuRph77 View Post
    Too many "comedy" moments
    Thought that was just perfect myself, far more in keeping with the original films and the proper anthesis of those haemorrhoid inducing dirge like prequels. The whole swashbuckling adventure genre has always been infused with comedy I'd have thought. Anyhow, really enjoyed this one, found the plot to be a bit jolting and fragmented but couldn't help think it was deliberate, cynically (perhaps) leaving space for other tie-ins or movie/narrative spurs. Overall though, the best movie of that style I've sat through in yonks.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by langdalematt View Post
    Who thinks that Kylo Ren is really a good guy trained by Luke to infiltrate and Destroy the Darkside?
    Bit harsh to kill his old man if thats the plan!! :)

If you remember the scene, Han Solo's words were, you do what you have to do son. Or something like that.

QUOTE=kultschar;3823893]Bit harsh to kill his old man if thats the plan!! :)[/QUOTE]

Saw it with the family a few days ago; cinema packed! It was exactly as expected given JJ Abraham's track record with the Star Trek franchise. Enough rehashes to keep the fans happy and a new younger cast to go forward with. It could have done with an original storyline though instead of rehashing a lot of Episode IV.

Possible SPOILERS Below:

Does anyone know how much Mark Hammil was paid for this film, given his role (sic) in the film...?

Blog Entries
    I have mentioned this before, but perhaps this is a good moment to refresh your memory: Disney plans Star War Spin Offs.

http://fortune.com/2015/07/13/star-wars-movies-disney/

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock View Post
    Saw it with the family a few days ago; cinema packed! It was exactly as expected given JJ Abraham's track record with the Star Trek franchise. Enough rehashes to keep the fans happy and a new younger cast to go forward with. It could have done with an original storyline though instead of rehashing a lot of Episode IV.

Possible SPOILERS Below:

Does anyone know how much Mark Hammil was paid for this film, given his role (sic) in the film...?

I wonder if he was paid one off set fee for the next three films, if he was paid for that 40seconds appearance, £25 should have covered it

Banned
    Blog Entries
    In a moment my son and his mom are leaving to see the film.
    It will be a huge relief as he has been practicing/playing the tune for days!
    Ditto seemingly endless reruns of previous episodes on tv.

I will be hearing all about it in two perceptions tomorrow.
    All in all that is enough for me.

A few thoughts...

Kylo Ren's outfit was a bit naff and looked like something from Battlestar Galactica (the 70s/80s version).

Carrie Fisher can barely talk with all that botox.

We decided Snoke had escaped from Mordor.

On the whole I was pretty impressed. The storyline was predictable/familiar but it had a warmth to the performances and general look of the film that was completely absent in the prequels.

Just got back from seeing it a second time - this time with the family.

Everyone enjoyed it, and I really enjoyed it again.

It certainly packs a lot in to the running time.

Seen it today with my 15 yr old son, we both thought it was great

Saw it xmas eve and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Though like many others i thought kylo was a very weak baddy, great in the opening scene, but then all the 'ooh, should i be good or bad, dark or light' whinning put me right off him.

I went in convinced kylo would turn out to be Luke, turned to the dark side, got that one wrong, though i still think he may turn out to be Snoke?

Really enjoyed the new droid, not annoying and some nice humour like R2 in the original 3.

Rae grew on me and found her quite pleasing on the eye.

The female stromtrooper leader could turn out an interesting baddy too.

Brighty

Blog Entries
    That's an interesting suggestion someone made regarding Luke skywalker sending Kylo Ren as a kind of mole. It has been mentioned that snoke sought out Kylo Ben Ren due to his balance and pull between light and dark. That snoke himself on wookipedia is described as a strange dark lord as he is appreciative of both sides and sees them in a different way than other Sith Lords who have just been devout dark . I did not see any suggestion of Han Solo gauging his sons possible theoried plan of being a Jedi insider in dark guise. As mentioned killing your father to further fool the dark side is very tough and doubtful a Jedi would encourage a trainee to do. Bear in mind the backstory is from the flashback when Rae touched Luke's sabre there was Kylo Ren and other knights on his first mission to prove himself killing the fellow Jedi trainees that he himself trained under Luke with. Can't see Luke skywalker expecting him to do that as a mole neither and kill his father

Blog Entries
    And yes poor Carrie fisher doing a great ventriloquist act. Was painful to watch and wonder where her voice was coming from. I thought c3po had his best red hand up her arse throwing his one of many dialects

She's barely recognisable

Quote Originally Posted by AM94 View Post
    First thoughts are:

(As has been said) Story line felt too similar to Episodes 4-6 to really get me excited about the plot lines, Ren felt like DVv2 but no where near as effective (but then I was under 10 when I saw the first film!) and the actor who plays him looked a bit whimpy when he took the mask off, special effects were good and I'm interested to see where they take the story line.
    While I absolutely enjoyed it (watching with my dad and my son who is same age now as I was when saw a double bill of New Hope/Empire Strikes Back with my dad in cinema in Ireland years ago), I do agree about the plot

I think there are some good points in this

http://www.vox.com/2015/12/26/106648...ens-derivative

In a way, it felt like going to a gig where the group plays the greatest hits you loved as a kid.... which is not a bad thing :-)

Quote Originally Posted by dansan View Post
    Did you take your wife and your girlfriend? I went with my wife but planned on taking my girlfriend another time! ;)
    Yes, along with my parents and kids ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Brilliant cinematography
    Very strong performances by the two new young characters
    Weak barely believable baddy
    Awful plot and storyline

A good instalment about on par with Return of the Jedi i.e. better than the awful episodes I to III but not as good as IV and V.

The Star Wars Rebels cartoons being shown recently on Disney channel have better storylines.

Quote Originally Posted by NJH View Post
    Brilliant cinematography
    Very strong performances by the two new young characters
    Weak barely believable baddy
    Awful plot and storyline

A good instalment about on par with Return of the Jedi i.e. better than the awful episodes I to III but not as good as IV and V.

The Star Wars Rebels cartoons being shown recently on Disney channel have better storylines.

Sums it up excellently for me, although I am not familiar with the cartoons!

I would like to think that Kylo Ren is some form of 'undercover' Jedi, but unfortunately just do not think it is so.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    My 13 y.o. son thinks it great and has given me an extensive review about it as confusing as the episodes sequence.

His mom is more succinct; 'I did not fall asleep'. which is a huge compliment!!

Ergo, two fat thumbs up.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    I would like to think that Kylo Ren is some form of 'undercover' Jedi, but unfortunately just do not think it is so.
    Its the face and lack of acting ability, just comes across as a spoilt teenager. Robert Carlisle in Trainspotting was properly menacing because he reminded me of exactly what a couple of Glaswegian gansters I used to know were like, you never ever feel comfortable around people like that permanently on edge. Ben Kingsley in Sexy Beast is widely regarded as one of best nutcase hard man portrayals on screen, a lesson on how to be menacing. All of those guys its in the eyes and the face, brilliant acting. Star Wars unfortunately sucks big time in this area, Annakin Sywalker was never believable and either is this Kylo Ren. In one of the earlier films Annakin massacres a village then just has a sulk about it like a naughty five year old, utter tripe.

Master
    So now that we are all adding spoilers I'll tell you the only part that really did not make any sense to me.
    The whole movie is about finding Luke, eventually somehow R2D2 manages to put the puzzle together and the whole "resistance" is mesmerised. So why on earth or space the little teenager goes to find him alone? Would you not have pretty much everyone landing on that planet? Surely there's a connection between them but even so.
    Also as I said before Kylo Ren without the mask just looks like French aristocracy from the 18th century but perhaps was a deliberate choice to develop the character in the next movies.
    However I think we are all nip picking here. The movie was great and the saga might just end up being epic!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckard81 View Post
    the saga might just end up being epic!
    It already is epic, it might become a modern day Amadis de Gaula.

I thought Ren looked like a young Severus Snape....

This pretty much sums it up:

Last edited by watchcollector1; 11th January 2016 at 12:54.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    This pretty much sums it up:

Agreed

Master
    I watched it again yesterday. Took my little boy to watch it this time. Just as enjoyable as the first time I watched it! Awesome film!!

Master
    Finally ticked it off the list - Monday afternoon showing, I almost had the place to myself.

Great movie but only a taster of whats to come. Kylo Ren being summoned at the end to 'complete his training' and Rey heading up the mountain to meet the last Jedi master just whets the appetite for episode 8...

I didn't think much of either main character in the light sabre duel to be honest, there was almost no mention of 'the force' and not much evidence of it in either character - both of them were just hacking and slashing really.
    Kylo just looks like an angry young man, lots of shouting and breaking things, and not a very intimidating baddie either. He has the mask, he has the voice, he even has the bad-ass light sabre, but he just doesn't have the same gravity as his predecessors, he certainly doesn't send shivers down the spine like Vader (or even Darth Maul for that matter).

Any speculation as to who Rey is? Han Solo/General Leia's other child? (hope not... they've already done that with Luke and Leia) but then how is she connected to the force?

Master
    Rey is Luke's daughter.....