closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rolex 5513

Master
    Blog Entries

Rolex 5513

These are starting to become very expensive on the forum.....Why?

M

Craftsman
    Probably because they're becoming expensive everywhere else. Average price in the market is £4500 for a 30+ year old example with replacement parts. Clean examples are over 5k

Journeyman
    Yeah, it seems vintage Rolex prices have no ceiling.

I think they are becoming so expensive because they are the perfect one watch.

The plexi matte dialed 5513's are so awesomely looking!

5513 are simply classics .... and we want everyone to be a bit like James Bond :)

Quote Originally Posted by Emilio View Post
    I think they are becoming so expensive because they are the perfect one watch.

The plexi matte dialed 5513's are so awesomely looking!
    Most of them look far from 'perfect', which in wis world appears to add to the value,,,,, go figure.

Ps the one above looks quite nice though.

I sold my metres first 69 5513 about a couple of years ago for £2300 head only. Wasn't a perfect dial but case was lovely and super fat.......looks like I should have hung on for a while!

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Ps the one above looks quite nice though.

These are not mine ... unfortunately :(

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    I sold my metres first 69 5513 about a couple of years ago for £2300 head only. Wasn't a perfect dial but case was lovely and super fat.......looks like I should have hung on for a while!
    You definitely should of done, it would have least gone up by 1k by now and being meters first probably a little more.

Grand Master
    If you can't beat em,join em..

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    I'd have given you £2350 for it lol.

Perhaps a quick check on here may have had you get a lot more too!.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    I'd have given you £2350 for it lol.

Perhaps a quick check on here may have had you get a lot more too!.
    https://www.chronext.co.uk/rolex/sub...I30aAuA-8P8HAQ

66 meters first with original box

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayareg View Post
    Not entirely sure from their photos, but does that look like a gilt dial, hence £££?

Grand Master
    Most of them look far from 'perfect', which in wis world appears to add to the value,,,,, go figure.
    And people, they just love to pay!

The thing to do is buy one now on its original dial with a serviceable bracelet. It'll cost a bomb, but it's an investment: Sell the bracelet on eBay and the box and papers to a faker, then tie the rest of it to your car and drive down the motorway. Grip the watch head in a vice and polish it hard with a machine buffer, then drill out the pip. Then soak it in coffee with the crown open, and sell it to someone rich and stupid using the words "patina", "amazing" and "iconic". You'll make an absolute fortune.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Not quite sure why this thread has prompted such rabid responses. Like many watches, vintage Rolex prices don't necessarily reflect their inherent value - but they happen to be collectable. It therefore means that if you can afford to buy one at the right price, the likelihood is that you'll not lose anything on it and may well make something. The fact that many collectors like the watches to show evidence of their age is just a characteristic of the market - there's no need to take the piss with such ferocity, is there?

I sometimes wonder whether this is actually a forum for watch lovers, as opposed to a bunch of bitter middle-aged men.

Blog Entries
    If I was going for a 'one watch only' decision... it would be a 5513.

In an era where Submariner's etc. are going ceramic and all other manner of ways, I think that this Sub is a demonstration of what the Submariner is all about.

Pure.

Lovely watch.

Master
    Blog Entries
    OK, rather than start a new thread I'll ask this here:

If I was after a 5513 (I am but some outs would need to happen first) what could I reasonably expect to get for around £5K? I am 38, so a 1977 watch would be great although I know dating them is not always an exact science.

Master
    Phil

I would have thought that £5k should get you a reasonably clean watch.

The only difficulty is finding one. Once something gets labelled "classic", people just tuck them away in a drawer as an investment.

I have an Explorer2 Freccione and 20 years ago they were up for sale all over the place and you could hardly give them away. Now that they are "classic", you rarely see them up for sale and values have gone silly.

Regards

Mick

I sometimes wonder whether this is actually a forum for watch lovers, as opposed to a bunch of bitter middle-aged men.[/QUOTE]

WHAT? There are watches on here? :)

Blog Entries
    One on sc now for £4100
    The one at £5500 is a bit of a p take

Quote Originally Posted by golfg60 View Post
    One on sc now for £4100
    Two dealers - a good honest one and... another one.

I got one of these (I think it is a 5513) as a gift from someone earlier in the year. I have no idea of the value but suspect it's circa 1983 (mine was in mint condition when it was given to me) but has the glossy dial and applied indexes. It's my first ever Rolex, and I only wear it on the odd day here and there.

I'm no expert but that's possibly a 14060 rather than 5513

Oh and the 5513 on SC at £5500 is a bit of a dog, the vague description does not help.
    Last edited by -Ally-; 3rd January 2016 at 12:03.

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by milwatch126 View Post
    These are starting to become very expensive on the forum.....Why?

M

My point was dealer prices are being asked and for not the best examples.

M

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Not quite sure why this thread has prompted such rabid responses.
    Because people are always going to take the p!ss out of chancers and their p!ss-taking prices. Ever was it thus ;).
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post

I sometimes wonder whether this is actually a forum for watch lovers, as opposed to a bunch of bitter middle-aged men.
    LTF,
    Middle aged yes, bitter no, as it happens I much prefer the case size and simplicity of the vintage Rolex sports models to a point where I really don't like the current 'blingy' offerings in the Rolex camp (I know I've made that quite clear before), as an enthusiast if I like a watch I'll say so, and I might just say so if I don't, this thing about tired worn watches never ceases to amaze me, the forum rips the pee out of anyone selling tired clothes, bags, tyres, cars, straps, tents, shoes, etc etc but goes all wobbly and gooey over the afore mentioned Rolex sports models.
    I understand that some buy as an investment, (not my bag really) but I don't think I'm alone in thinking some just look scabby, tired and worn out.

BTW have a good Sunday.

Perhaps now would be a good time to buy a 14060? Generally in collecting when the price of something starts to go out of reach for the majority of collectors they switch to the 'second best thing', and that too starts to rise in price in line with increased demand.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post

Oh and the 5513 on SC at £5500 is a bit of a dog, the vague description does not help.
    I think it has 5513 as part of the serial number that's why I assumed it was a 5513 not a 14060.

Craftsman

I think 14060 was introduced in 1988/89.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by golfg60 View Post
    One on sc now for £4100
    Christians watch looks to me as a maxi mk1 and the other is not that's why there is a price differential

I would agree that the one listed on SC at £5.5k is an extremely bad example of how to list something, very little detail, no decent photographs and no attempt to provide any history or servicing details, if only in the time that the seller had the watch.

The price is what the seller wants, if thats too high then pass and move on or make an offer if you are interested.

Most of the watches in the vintage brackets, 1680 red, 5513, 5512, 1665 GW & DRSD and the 4 number reference Daytonas and GMTs etc all have multiple dial variations and that simply is why the prices differ so widely from watch to watch. This thread is mainly covering 5513s, so compare the price of a 60s gilt dial against an early 80s late model with the white gold surrounds and the prices will be thousands apart.

Sellers can ask what they want, but watches with original, good condition early dials are highly desirable and that is what continues to push prices up IMHO.

Master
    A Rolex is in my future somewhere but all this talk of every increasing prices means it may have to be sooner or never. Part of what puts me off starting a genuine search is the myriad of differing models which must be complicated as even Rolex fans end up debating such things. I love the idea of the simpler older models such as the 5513 as an occasional wearer but have a fondness for sapphire as I know visible scratches would bug me. As you were....

Here's a question, since I was considering moving my 5513 amongst others on to help fund a possible incoming, and its interesting to read the mixed views on their value.

What would be considered a reasonable asking price for a 5513 in reasonable condition?
    Fair case condtion, all the important tritium bits, bezel, correct date code bracelet (albeit showing its age) and a service last year at RSC?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Matdaytona View Post
    Christians watch looks to me as a maxi mk1 and the other is not that's why there is a price differential
    The one you are offering is a maxi mk1 'dial', but his is not.

Quote Originally Posted by endo View Post

I haven't a clue, but it looks lovely.

Here's a question, since I was considering moving my 5513 amongst others on to help fund a possible incoming, and its interesting to read the mixed views on their value.

What would be considered a reasonable asking price for a 5513 in reasonable condition?
    Fair case condtion, all the important tritium bits, bezel, correct date code bracelet (albeit showing its age) and a service last year at RSC?

Oof. That is stunner! I'd be very interested in a couple of months time...

I think some dealers are a bit like estate agents, have a punt, stick it up at that price, if it sells, that's the price

Master
    Came close a couple of times but just couldn't bring myself to part with 5k or so,not saying not worth that,simply a personal limit to what happy with spending.Instead got early 14060 with tritium dial for about half the price and happy with that.

Stunning watch, I think there would be a queue if you listed that for sale. Why not check out all the well known dealers and see what they are asking, that should hopefully give you some guide. You would need to verify that the dial is correct for the year of watch, if it is then theres a few more pounds on the price.

Craftsman

I'm no expert either, but I think the clue is in the depth rating. 5513= 660ft/200m, 14060 = 1000ft/300m

I haven't a clue, but it looks lovely.
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Oof. That is stunner! I'd be very interested in a couple of months time...
    Cheers guys, it's a reasonable example but far from perfect, OH says I'd regret it, but the call of a 15202 is strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I think there would be a queue if you listed that for sale.
    Tell that to my PM inbox... When It's not up for sale yet :S

Here is mine

Would a meters first 5512 be part of the same family as the 5513 being discussed? I see they are not mentioned as much, but I do like it for meetings as it wears discreet.

5513 has a much cleaner dial and I prefer that.
    5512 were produced in fewer numbers and production ceased much before 5513 but they are essentially same and based on a similar movement whether chronometer certified or not.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by groyn View Post
    I'm no expert either, but I think the clue is in the depth rating. 5513= 660ft/200m, 14060 = 1000ft/300m
    ...and the crystal - domed plexi = 5513, flat sapphire = 14060. Oh and I suspect the movement of the 5513 is of a slower beat rate. Mine certainly seems more relaxed in its ticking than the typical 28800 bph.

Ant

was meant to be a one watch only purchase until the other one came along....

love the seamaster 300 here is mine and some other junk

Quote Originally Posted by Xantiagib View Post
    was meant to be a one watch only purchase until the other one came along....

cheers
    christian

Craftsman

dont do it!!!!! Yours is lovely:)

Banned
    As someone who fids all the numbers and variations confusing would this be a fair summary?

the more the sub doesn't look like it did when it was made.

that's faded bezels, dials a different colour, lume a different colour etc. the more desirable and valuable it is?

if this is the case does this mean the original design wasn't so desirable when it was made?

If so desirable, why aren't they made with 'lovely creamy plots' and the rest.

Suspect that modem Rolex, with more modern materials, won't age in the same way.,