closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: I don't even like watches!

Master

I don't even like watches!

OK then so the title maybe a bit harsh but its not healthy this hobby. It's the perpetual search for the perfect watch that is tiresome. I'm sure there are many on here who agree.
    I found very early on that a collection wasn't for me and bought a SubC thinking it was the perfect 'one' watch, it wasn't. It had its flaws like all the others. I've decided to sell all my collection including the Sub and take a break, this buying and selling surely can't go on.
    So here's my confessional....I'm now watchless. For how long I'm not sure. Watches and this forum are very addictive. Wish me luck because I'm already thinking what next...but I shall beat it.
    Last edited by oiljam; 4th January 2016 at 21:12.

That's nice - Are you posting on all forums in which you have no interest?

M.

Craftsman

At least this is a dangerous hobby....

Well, that didn't last long... over 650 posts though.
    See ya'

Quote Originally Posted by oiljam View Post
    I've decided to sell all my collection including the Sub and take a break, this buying and selling surely can't go on. So here's my confessional....I'm now watchless.
    Sorry to see you've fallen out of love with the Sub. The thing about having one watch is that you stop appreciating the watch after a while, because you see it every day. I find that rotating round a small collection works better for me; I seem to enjoy a watch more when I've been separated from it for a few weeks.

I'm sure this partly explains the tendency for people to sell and buy the same watch again, sometimes more than once. I've got a feeling you'll be wanting the Sub back before long... or maybe a slight variation on it, such as a Sea Dweller.

I'm going to sign up to some pet forum, post 650 times then tell them I drowned my fish by pulling them backwards through the water.

Never say 'never'. Many of us on here have built up collections, flogged them, reappraised and started again. Just take a break, watch from the wings and come back when you're ready. If you are permanently done with it, then good luck fella.

You'l be back Liam,you'll be back………….

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    then tell them I drowned my fish by pulling them backwards through the water.
    Ha ha ha! Brilliant.

Nothing is perfect - learning to appreciate something and it's imperfections is the way forward. I should have stopped at my first 16600 - but hey I'm just not that sensible.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    I'm going to sign up to some pet forum, post 650 times then tell them I drowned my fish by pulling them backwards through the water.
    Ha ha ha, quite funny comment.

@OP i can relate to what you're writing, sometimes my obsession with watches takes up time of which i did not want to spend on watches. I have a suggestion, try to buy a cheap beater dress watch, that cured alot of it for me. Now i just wear that watch and doesnt care unless i happen to enter one of the forums.
    Last edited by Knisse; 4th January 2016 at 17:10.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    That's nice - Are you posting on all forums in which you have no interest?

M.
    That made me laugh.

Simon

Craftsman
    Proper funny, that really made me laugh.

All joking aside, this seems to be a common step in the long walk to WISdom nirvana. There is so much choice it's just impossible.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    There is so much choice it's just impossible.
    But isn't that what makes it interesting and makes all of us keep coming back for more?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by peter2704 View Post
    You'l be back Liam,you'll be back………….
    +1!

He was round at my place a couple of weeks ago to pick his mate's watch up....... and I can tell a watch fan when I meet one

Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    this seems to be a common step in the long walk to WISdom nirvana. There is so much choice it's just impossible.
    Well articulated that man! I like that.

OP - you'll be back

Master

Smile

Lots of nice watches out there indeed, but you can't own them all, all you can do is research and get the best / most suitable one(s) you can. After that its the difference between want and need to me. That simple question has stopped me increasing my few a number of times in the past.

I would say that that if you got obsessive on this then thats probably just your nature, don't expect to not get obsessive about what you move onto.

Enjoy whatever new hobby you move onto -

Banned
    If At first You Don't Succeed Redefine Success !
    this buying and selling surely can't go on
    Sure it can and if you enjoy it why wouldn't it ?

I know there are people out there that enjoy the hunt of a great watch more than actually owning the watch, once they get it that watch goes in the collection and it's on to the next hunt !
    Last edited by Chronographic; 5th January 2016 at 04:50.

Quote Originally Posted by oiljam View Post
    OK then so the title maybe a bit harsh but its not healthy this hobby. It's the perpetual search for the perfect watch that is tiresome. I'm sure there are many on here who agree.
    I found very early on that a collection wasn't for me and bought a SubC thinking it was the perfect 'one' watch, it wasn't. It had its flaws like all the others. I've decided to sell all my collection including the Sub and take a break, this buying and selling surely can't go on.
    So here's my confessional....I'm now watchless. For how long I'm not sure. Watches and this forum are very addictive. Wish me luck because I'm already thinking what next...but I shall beat it.
    I bet it doesn't last

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451994744.851336.jpg

Master
    Trying to find the one, perfect watch is a great way to stop enjoying any of them! I just look for ones I really like some of the time, at the right moment, in the right light, with the right wardrobe, in the right mood, after the right wine... It has to be about enjoying the journey in the end, the goal is a bit of an illusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Trying to find the one, perfect watch is a great way to stop enjoying any of them! I just look for ones I really like some of the time, at the right moment, in the right light, with the right wardrobe, in the right mood, after the right wine... It has to be about enjoying the journey in the end, the goal is a bit of an illusion.
    I agree with this - The focus some people have on finding 'The One' seems to suck the pleasure out of owning watches.

I don't believe there is ONE watch that can do everything you want or can satisfy every wish you'd have for a watch.

Have one, have one hundred, whatever pleases you, but I think the only people truly satisfied with just one watch are people who wear a watch ONLY to tell the time and I don't think there are many of those people on this forum...

M

Grand Master
    I think watch owning/collecting definitely doesn`t lend itself to finding 'the one'. The beauty of it is the fact that we're allowed to have several at once without causing 'ruptions...........unlike some of life's other pleasures

Collecting cars is a luxury most of us can`t afford, having several women on the scene at the same time isn`t advisable (it always ends badly), owning a few homes is definitely out of reach for the majority..........but watch owning/collecting is one aspect where the lust for multiple ownership can be gratified. OK, it won`t happen overnight, it takes several years and a degree of patience, but many people can end up in a position where they own a few watches they really like rather than having to focus on 'the one'.

Maybe there is such a thing as a 'collectors gene'.......or maybe the urge to own several watches is really a Freudian thing; food for thought!

Paul

I think anyone who spends a bit of time on any watch forum is led to believe that the Sub and Speedy are the be all and end all of watches, and these two sometimes don't meet the hype and aren't the answer for everyone.

A varied collection of say 4 watches should retain interest more than one watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
    Well, that didn't last long... over 650 posts though.
    See ya'
    Long enough to sell the SubC though.

Master
    Here's a keeper!

^^^^has he a pocket watch and chain, too?

Banned
    If At first You Don't Succeed Redefine Success !
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt68 View Post
    Here's a keeper!
    I sure hope it's not a knock off !