closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

View Poll Results: What colour for an X3?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Deep Sea Blue

39 41.94%
  • Glacier Silver

7 7.53%
  • Space Grey

47 50.54%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me choose a new car colour.

Master
    Blog Entries
    This kind of grey would be nice or a tad darker

^ That is Space grey I think, I had it on an 2009 E92 M3 ^

Space grey was never available on the E46 M3, that was Silver Grey, which is slightly lighter in shade.
    Last edited by Vanguard; 6th January 2016 at 17:21.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    ^ That is Space grey I think, I had it on an 2009 E92 M3 ^

Space grey was never available on the E46 M3, that was Silver Grey, which is slightly lighter in shade.

Its Stratos Grey

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Yellow
    Sure gets my vote. We had a bright yellow 5 seater 4wd Kangoo with fun motormanagement chip :-)
    The middle of the road however, heck!! the whole road is fifty shades of grey to black with the odd dark blue.

Most buyers over these are highly conservative middle class and about avoiding riscs. They want feel good from Petlzman factor to resale value and not standing out.
    So not even main stream color with cheerful decals I am affraid thus no way yellow, however easy that makes it to find the car amongst the lot full of lookalikes nor however much more visible thus safe it makes the car.

Master

Cool

Yellow is good,don't loose it in supermarket or airport.

Master
    I blame people obsessed with residuals. If you are worried about residuals you can't afford a new car, buy a second hand one.

Quote Originally Posted by mr noble View Post
    Good news is that the X3 fits in my garage. Bad news is.........I prefer the X1.

Better finish my coffee and take the X3 back to the dealer.

Detailed comparo later tonight.

Prefer the car next to the X3 ;)

Mate had a 635D in deep sea blue, nice, BUT it's a part time job keeping it looking nice, space grey much easier.

Deal done. Order placed for an X1 in Deep Sea Blue.

I thought the X3 was nice, but it felt huge on the road. The high up seat is a pleasant change from my Golf, but it was quite imposing. I went to visit a customer in it and felt that it was a bit OTT. The ride is more boat like too and the interior feels more dated than the brand new X1, obviously.

Got back to the dealer, sat in an X1 and it just felt right, halfway between a 3 series tourer and the X3. Spot on. Wish it had the auto hold handbrake thing that the X3 has though.

I've gone a bit mental with the spec, but I'm lucky enough to be able to get a big discount (family friend thing) so it isn't so painful adding a few extra bits of kit.

Roll on March!

Master
    Nice problem, tough choice :)

We have a space grey X5, it looks great clean or dirty, the colour doesn't show the dirt up that much, unlike silver ime. A neighbour has an X3 in that blue and it looks great. Grey or blue - flip a coin.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jez View Post
    I am seeing a lot of brown cars these days , all manufacturers seem to be using it , all driven by gentlemen of a certain age . Horrible choice, the new maroon . At least it's easy to spot the potential poor driver that much quicker.
    Grey , or blue both look good.
    Please elaborate.....your point is?????????

I do hope you're not acting like an age-ist prat and I`ve misunderstood your crass attempt at humour.

Paul (age 58, with a few friends 'of a certain age')
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 6th January 2016 at 20:18.

Craftsman
    Hi Paul , I am of a certain age myself . I spend my working days on a motorcycle and to stay in one piece I tend to ' profile ' drivers , nothing malicious , but helps me to second guess a drivers behaviour . Something you probably do too. I won't offend anyone else with a list of cars to keep an eye on , no doubt someone else will be along to do that .
    Sorry to the OP for straying off topic.

Grand Master
    I get a bit touchy about the ageist thing where driving's concerned. The older folks have just as much right to get from A to B on the roads provided they're medically fit to continue driving. Loss of mobility is serious issue for the older generation and it's sad to see people lose that mobility by virtue of their age.

God willing we'll all get to that stage someday, more tolerance should be shown on the roads towards older drivers, but equally so the testing for medical fitness to drive should be far stricter.

Maybe the older drivers should be made to display some type of plate....like an L plate.....so we could all take acont of the fact that they may be a bit more hesitant and ponderous........but that would be perceived as ageist despite the fact it would be in everyone's interest!

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 6th January 2016 at 21:57.

White would be choix moi.

The dark grey I have had on an x5 or similar colour does not show the dirt, but the blue I have had a couple of times and looks the nuts when clean, not so great dirty but really awesome, would be my choice

Of the X3s for sale on Autotrader, 427 are black, 229 are grey, 228 are silver, 171 are white, 133 are blue, and the other colours are not popular.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Why would anyone order a brown car?
    My MD's wife has an X1 in Marrakech Brown aka in the office as metallic dog shit brown - I hope he got a good deal on it as its hideous, the X1 is ugly at the best of times but in that colour......

Red face

Howzabout high gloss chrome?? (Bit blingy tho' )

John

Master

It's a very odd and annoying problem to have, but some customers don't like it when a salesman turns up in a car that's better/newer/shinier than theirs!
    Not at all odd.... If somebody pulls up in a very expensive motor and tries to sell me something I immediately think that his price is too high as he has to pay for that flash motor somehow..... It's not a case of envy, although I suppose there's a certain amount of that, but more a case of not wanting to pay for someone else's luxuries.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Barryboy View Post
    Not at all odd.... If somebody pulls up in a very expensive motor and tries to sell me something I immediately think that his price is too high as he has to pay for that flash motor somehow..... It's not a case of envy, although I suppose there's a certain amount of that, but more a case of not wanting to pay for someone else's luxuries.

Rob

I'm in no way having a dig here, but that's the attitude that I dislike and don't understand. I guess it's human nature, although moreso in the UK than in most other EU countries where sucsess is applauded.

Example.

Salesman 1. Earns £100k a year. Doesn't work very hard. Total skinflint. Hates cars, drives a 10 year old Mondeo. Spends 3% of his income on his motoring costs each year.

Salesman 2. Earns £40k a year. Works really really hard for it. Loves cars and prides himself on owning the nicest car he can afford. Spends 25% of his income on motoring each year. Drives a new BMW X1.

Does the attitude you describe above seem fair to these two?

Space Grey's had it's day, the Deep Sea Blue is a wonderful BMW colour.

Good choice.
    Last edited by TimeOut; 7th January 2016 at 11:45.

Master
    I'm in no way having a dig here, but that's the attitude that I dislike and don't understand. I guess it's human nature, although moreso in the UK than in most other EU countries where sucsess is applauded.

Example.

Salesman 1. Earns £100k a year. Doesn't work very hard. Total skinflint. Hates cars, drives a 10 year old Mondeo. Spends 3% of his income on his motoring costs each year.

Salesman 2. Earns £40k a year. Works really really hard for it. Loves cars and prides himself on owning the nicest car he can afford. Spends 25% of his income on motoring each year. Drives a new BMW X1.

Does the attitude you describe above seem fair to these two?
    er, what salesman who doesnt work hard earns 100k a year

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    er, what salesman who doesnt work hard earns 100k a year
    Many. Those who did work hard to build up their business and are now 50 to 65 years old reaping the rewards. Plenty of agents will earn £100k+ a year in commission and be able to work 2 or 3 days a week to maintain their turnover. I know many salesmen in this position. One of my colleagues earns over £200k and probably works an average of 2 days a week. He drives a brand new X5.

200k commission isn't from car sales though surely?

Quote Originally Posted by TimeOut View Post
    200k commission isn't from car sales though surely?
    No. There are many industries where that figure is possible if you get a good product to sell as an agent. Furniture is a good example. Companies starting up or importing can't afford to pay 6 reps' salaries and give them a car each, so they employ agents. If the product is successful, that agent might build it up over the years to be selling £2m worth of it in a year and get paid £100,000+ in commission. Once established and selling, you only need to call on each account once every couple of months, and you may have 40 accounts. 2 days a week.
    If you have 2 or 3 or 4 agencies with different products, you could multiply that figure accordingly. That's the situation one of my colleagues is in.

Anyway, isn't this about the colour of a motor?

Anyway, isn't this about the colour of a motor?
    It is, a fine choice and thanks for the comparison. Makes me more eager for mine now (which must be just about off the line or onto transport).

Quote Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post
    Prefer the car next to the X3 ;)
    +1 what is it?

If you have 2 or 3 or 4 agencies with different products, you could multiply that figure accordingly.
    I can well imagine :) Thanks for explaining the scenario and happy motoring with your X1.

Silver classy looking and doesn't show the dirt as much

Master
    Space grey for me out of that choice.
    Isn't black conservative?

Black metallic BMWs do seem to hold their value particularly well as not so many ordered compared to the millions of silver ones.

Master
    Just voted for the blue. You need to ask some mates to vote otherwise you could end up with the grey one! :)

Master
    Another vote for the blue

Journeyman
    Go for the deep blue

Journeyman
    Blue all day long

Master
    Against my better judgement my partner and sons talked me into going for Melbourne red on my new 640 - it's amazing!!!

As that wasn't an option I'd go for the blue - however you need to keep it clean or it looks dull.

Alright - I maybe mentioned here that I had ordered a dark blue X1 and so was a proponent of blue. I picked it up last week and so here are the wet-winters-day-now-slightly-muddy shots of the colour, and for those interested some interior shots to compare it to the old model and the current X3. I'll leave it to you to decide if blue suits the car or if this generation is an improvement over the old X1.

It's early days, but it is very quiet, smooth and comfortable - some reviews say there is a lot of road noise but I do not have the RFT's and I think the large cabin can amplify some sounds a little. The standard seats also get a bad rap from some (though I have no issues with them in my wifes car) but I did opt for the sports seats in this for the extend-able front squab. Having had an early i-drive in a 130i I can thankfully say i-drive is now very easy to use.

Front, day of collection - nice and clean.

Rear, after a weekend of use, on a slightly brighter day.

Interior, front. Drivers seat is set for me at 6 foot nothing. Passengers for someone smaller.

Rear interior.

Boot.

Master
    I think the new X1 is a huge improvement. Have been considering a move from outraging X3, but the previous generation looks much, much worse IMO.

Looks great! Pleased to hear that you're liking it. Great car.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by triumph coupe View Post
    What is wrong with car companies these days?? 13 shades of grey/brown/silver a blue a white and a red chucked in for the adventurous.
    It's because a lot of people have quite boring tastes, cars are bought by corporate fleet wholesale managers who care about resale, not what the user wants, and people are conditioned into buying a colour that the next owner wants, then getting rid when it's just at the bottom of the steepest part of the depreciation curve.

Audi in particular is guilty of particularly monochrome colour schemes. White, black and anything metallic in between.

If you're buying only for resale, and are willing to put up with a colour and specification/equipment/engine you think someone else will like and pay a few hundred quid more for at the end of the lease, then by all means get a BMW in M Sport trim with leather and in a grey metallic.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!