closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anybody had an Audi S5

Anybody had an Audi S5

As per the title, anybody any experience of the Audi S5? I really fancy one and would appreciate any insight any current/former owners can offer. Thanks!

Master
    Specifically the S5? If so which one? 4.2 NA V8 or the later 3.0 Supercharged V6? I previously had an A5 coupe 2.0T quattro S Tronic which was nice to look at and sit in but not so great to drive.

Why not great to drive?? I'm thinking an auto 4.2 as I need to try a v8 at some point.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mouldie View Post
    Why not great to drive?? I'm thinking an auto 4.2 as I need to try a v8 at some point.
    It was a blunt instrument as far as driving finesse was concerned. Heavy four wheel drive car with numb steering. The S5 should, in theory, be better but I've never driven one so can't comment. Why not go all out for the RS5 if budget allows?
    Last edited by mactrack; 10th January 2016 at 21:47.

Master
    A friend had the V8 - you need the "Sports Differential" (apparently) to get the most out of it and the later V6 is a bit pokier than the V8 but possibly less tuneful.

Nice styling. Suspension felt harsh most of the time and the steering was a bit numb. He didn't keep it long and sold it for a BMW 430D which he said was far more relaxing, much more economical and just as fast in the real world.

Master
    I had the V8 for a while as a loan car. Quite nippy though not hugely exciting. Very , very thirsty though. Not just in my hands it seems

Auto Express :-

"Audi claims a combined figure of 21.2mpg for the newcomer, which isn't brilliant, but on our admittedly challenging test route the on-board computer struggled to top 12mpg. "

Master
    Not an S5 but nearly lost my A5 Quattro Sportback last night.
    Derbyshire Police came with Scenes of Crime as its so rife now around here they were surprised mine survived and wanted to work out why.
    Because of the hassle we had with our previous X6 I specified a real key rather than keyless go and fortunately they weren't able to override the ignition but have left a huge amount of damage in the attempt.
    Apparently all they want are the sports seats and steering wheels for scrotes to put in their looky likey souped up Golfs.
    They smash the window and override the audible alarm within seconds so the first I knew was when my wife shouted to let me know I'd left my headlights on when she left for work.

http://www.driving.co.uk/car-clinic/...ss-entry-cars/
    Last edited by SeePee; 11th January 2016 at 19:30.

Quote Originally Posted by SeePee View Post
    Not an S5 but nearly lost my A5 Quattro Sportback last night.
    Derbyshire Police came with Scenes of Crime as its so rife now around here they were surprised mine survived and wanted to work out why.
    Because of the hassle we had with our previous X6 I specified a real key rather than keyless go and fortunately they weren't able to override the ignition but have left a huge amount of damage in the attempt.
    Apparently all they want are the sports seats and steering wheels for scrotes to put in their looky likey souped up Golfs.
    They smash the window and override the audible alarm within seconds so the first I knew was when my wife shouted to let me know I'd left my headlights on when she left for work.

http://www.driving.co.uk/car-clinic/...ss-entry-cars/
    Sorry to hear about that. I'm in Sheffield so will watch out now I've recently acquired something nickable.

Still got my trooper even though it was stolen in the burglary in July. Found parked up 3 miles away untouched & seemingly left to see if there was a tracker on it

Had it 4 years now. 3.0 V6 tdi but looks like an RS which the police think thats why it was nicked.

It is chipped to 300hp & still get 47 to the gallon on a motorway

Superb

One of my old directors had one
    All he did was moan about it
    Petrol guzzler with no real prowess on the road

Better cars for the cash around

Craftsman
    I've had an S5 - shortest ownership period of any car I've had, couldn't wait to get rid of it from the day after I picked it up - we drove somewhere that included some country roads and I instantly realised what a mistake I'd made. Ended up taking quite a sizeable hit, but it was worth it to get shot of the thing after a little over 6 months.

I could sum it up in one word - bland. Lazy engine, numb steering, awful pedal layout in the manual, souless to drive and never feels like anything but a big heavy car. OK for motorway cruising but that's about it, I got 14mpg from mine around town - check my post in the What Do You Drive thread for more slating!

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...18#post2969518

There's alot better for the money.

DS

Thanks for the replies. Maybe I'll have a little rethink!

Don't know about the S5 but test drove the RS6 a couple of months ago with a view to ordering one.

Make sure you have extra thick trousers and a strong heart is my recommendation. Absolutely bonkers.