closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Picked this up today........................

Master

Picked this up today........................

[img]

It took me 30 minutes to remove all the protective plastics!

Its an M series straight to the AD from Rolex.

What do you think?

Steve

Shropshire, UK, by the grace of God. dougdarter@aol.com
    Hi,

Well done, a true icon.

Personally, I don't like it, but I have to admit that it's a more complete watch now with it's in house movement, than it was with the modified 'el Primero'.

It's a great watch, but not in my style, I prefer tool watches. The Newman model, now that was a different matter.

Look after it, and it'll be your nest egg if you get financially embarrased in the future.

Enjoy it :)

Master
    So you found one Steve congrats :thumbleft:

karl

Err...

is that a Bi-colour or is the white balance out?

Sorry..cheeky i know. Well done...its an Icon. I won't part with mine however much i could profit!

Best,
    James.

Congratulations Steve.

I agree with Doug on this one, it leaves me cold I'm afraid but it's your watch and as long as you like it that's all that matters.

Wear it in good health.

Cheers,

Gary :)

Grand Master
    Someone else coming from the same place as Doug & Gary regarding this one, but all that really matters is that you like it. Plus you cannot deny it is an icon & a very good watch. Enjoy it.
    /vince ..

Master
    That's really nice. :)

I like the Daytona, especially the new versions with radial numerals. But if I bought one, I would probably go for a white gold. I really hope Rolex produce a date version next year.

Master
    Some interesting posts about this one. It's odd how such a revered and in demand watch can leave so many true watch enthusiasts cold. I guess it appeals to those who value the name and the desirability more than the watch itself maybe?

I've always quite liked the Daytona, always preferring the black dial over the white. This one is slightly different to most of the black ones I've seen in that it hasn't got the solid rings around the sub dials.

Verdict?

Absolutely bloody gorgeous! Not sure why but it transforms the watch from very nice to totally spot on.

I love it, and I'd seriously love to see some more photos.

If it had a date, it'd be my ultimate grail watch for sure.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari
    Some interesting posts about this one. It's odd how such a revered and in demand watch can leave so many true watch enthusiasts cold. I guess it appeals to those who value the name and the desirability more than the watch itself maybe?
    Isn't that always the way? (In fact isn't that what defines the concept of "brand value"?)

Also this watch's appeal is global, and the UK isn't the best place to sample that appeal and use as a barometer for the rest of it.

If it was the all-steel variety I'm sure it would have picked up some more plaudits - IMO it's a good-looking watch. Moving the 3 and 9 subdials up a few deg gives the layout a bit more space and balance, which is one reason I like it - the subdials look less "cramped". It's telling that this attention to detail, whether or not done to give the counterfeiters a headache, is often used as a brickbat by the bashers ("Jeez, Rolex can't even get their axles in a row"). Well, tall poppies and all that.

It's out for me because there's no date (just can't manage without) but still a v nice piece of kit.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master
    Agree about the date totally, it kills it for me too. (Well, that and the price!!)

Someone suggested to me that the reason Rolex haven't added a date is that it would kill resale on non date Daytonas. No dea if that's true or not.

Once saw a beautiful Tudor "Daytona style" watch, and that had a date, how mad is that!?

Craftsman
    Congrats Stevie, as others have said the Daytona is a true icon and a great addition to any collection. Hope you enjoy it and if not send it to me, I'll give it a good home :lol:

Michael

Master
    Well, excellent watch and its obvious that you have hd an excellent year.

Master
    Hi Guys,

There were a few things which attracted me to the watch:

1. There never appear to be that many around.
    2. The dial in black with the accented sub dials with the gold rings looks simply stunning in the flesh.
    3. Quality of the bracelet compared to my subs, sea dweller. yacht master and GMT 2.
    4. Value for money, I paid a lot less than list and a lot less than a S/S version on the grey market.

At the end of the day it comes down to personal taste and if actually having had the choice, I would buy the bi colour over the S/S.

One final thing, this was my first real post and I have been quite surprised at some of the negative comments, every body is entitled to their opinion but when I was a boy I was taught that if you have nothing good to say then its best to say nothing at all.

Steve

Master
    Surely people are allowed to express an opinion, even if it's not one you agree with? Not much of a forum if everyone has to just "be polite", and no one was actually rude about it, just said it wasn't for them (fair enough surely?)

I love it though, and I would love to see some more photos, especially close ups of the dial if you have any?

Quote Originally Posted by stevie996
    One final thing, this was my first real post and I have been quite surprised at some of the negative comments, every body is entitled to their opinion but when I was a boy I was taught that if you have nothing good to say then its best to say nothing at all.

Steve
    Hi Steve,

Sorry if we've upset you but as Ari said though it's just my opinion and an entirely subjective one at that. Just because the watch doesn't appeal to me personally doesn't mean it's not a great watch, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that.

I thought I was being very diplomatic as you're a relative newbie, just wait 'till I get to know you a bit more :wink:.

Anyway let's see some more pictures please, you never know you might talk me round to liking it :D.

Cheers,

Gary :)

Master
    Blog Entries
    23. Quality of the bracelet compared to my subs, sea dweller. yacht master and GMT 2.

I dont know if you have seen the bracelet on the new GMT ceramic but it is quite superb.

BTW I love the Daytona in all its guises. The white gold version is simply superb and I think the mixed that you have is seriously under valued

Congratulations. From my early watch watching activities, this is one that is an absolute classic, although way out of my range at this point, I have always fancied that. I hope you wear the hell out of it - remember, you can send it in for service for a relative pittance and basically get a 'new' one back. I hope you wear it to bed, in the shower, cutting the grass, to work, fixing the roof, kicking the cat, swimming, on holiday to Blackpool and everything else! :thumbleft:

I had the chance to purchase a Daytona some years ago in the Middle East. I wish I had as this watch is an icon. Funny thing is that I don't think I would have given it alot of wrist time.

I really like 'em.

Steve, this forum is one of the most honest places on the web that is watch related. The fountain of knowledge here is tremendous and the wit is as sharp as, well, a sharp thing.

We all see watches posted here that make us go "Wow" and some that don't. For me the Daytona is a big wow. Great buy, enjoy it in health

CD

Steve
    You have seriously underestimated this place. :wink:

On some forums you can post your latest buy and people will be fawning over it.

Not so on here, people have their own ideas.

However they are unfailingly polite about it and you can't ask for much more. :)

Is that the new dial?

A friend of mine is picking up his steel/ black dial soon , any chance of some dial close ups?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Craftsman
    I like the daytona and prefer the white dialled one, or the black dialed one with red markings and in Stainless Steel.

But then again, i like many watches... so it doesnt say much

Would prefer the pre tiger tudor chrono time over it anytime tho... pity I missed out on buying one.

Grand Master
    Whoa! :D Congratulations.

Ming

Journeyman

Very Nice

A very nice watch and very comfortable to wear. I like it.

Regards

Craftsman
    That is one lovely watch, I would love to own that but being poor I know I never will :wink: wear it in good health. :D

Hi Guys,

There were a few things which attracted me to the watch:

1. There never appear to be that many around.
    Good reason. Always nice to be that bit different. :)

2. The dial in black with the accented sub dials with the gold rings looks simply stunning in the flesh.

Indeed it does. :)

3. Quality of the bracelet compared to my subs, sea dweller. yacht master and GMT 2.

About time Rolex did that. I always felt that the feel of their bracelets was sub standard given the quality of the watches themselves. :twisted:

4. Value for money, I paid a lot less than list and a lot less than a S/S version on the grey market.

Always good to get a discount. :) Though being bi-coloured may affect its resaleability later. :( But then, if you don't intend to sell it.... no issue. :lol:

At the end of the day it comes down to personal taste and if actually having had the choice, I would buy the bi colour over the S/S.

Ah, and that's the important thing. A watch should be bought because YOU like it, not because someone else says it's the best thing since sliced bread, or that it's the current 'fashion' etc.

Steve

As I said, a watch should be bought because YOU like it. But if you post something here then you have to accept honest replies and the fact that not everyone shares the same tastes and values as yourself - that's part of lifes rich tapestry. :wink: You clearly do like it and that's all that should really matter; though of course, it's always nice to get favorable responses to something you particularly like and have aspired to.

Wear it in health, and enjoy it to the full, it's a seriously good watch. :)
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    Why ask what people think Steve :? people here will just give you a straight answer isnt that how it should be? were here just chatting about watches no offence meant.

karl

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sijoc
    Congratulations. From my early watch watching activities, this is one that is an absolute classic, although way out of my range at this point, I have always fancied that. I hope you wear the hell out of it - remember, you can send it in for service for a relative pittance and basically get a 'new' one back. I hope you wear it to bed, in the shower, cutting the grass, to work, fixing the roof, kicking the cat, swimming, on holiday to Blackpool and everything else! :thumbleft:
    :D

Craftsman
    Congrats! It looks beautiful! :D This place is tool watch heaven, most of the users here are allergic to shiny surfaces.

The important thing is that you like the watch.

Master
    Its a great looking watch - no doubt (for me anyway).

But this is definitely not a place where a 'pulled the trigger on XXX today' gets people all wet and juicy!

As others have said, you'll get an honest opinion - that in itself is invaluable.

Enjoy your watch.

Banned

x

:whdat: