closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A new arrival - IWC TZC Fliegeruhr

A new arrival - IWC TZC Fliegeruhr

I bought a real watch that makes me feel like a grown-up.

Thanks to a WTB, too - that's my second sucessful WTB in a row. It's an IWC UTC Pilot's watch, from about 2001, I think. It's an early one, so the hands and the index at 12 are Tritium, rather than the Luminova used for the rest of the dial. I would have preferred the bracelet, but the leather strap is very, very nice, and I don't have any other watches on leather at the moment. It's a traveller's watch, which is a complication I love. The cut-out at the top of the dial shows GMT or home time, and the hour hand can be adjusted in hour steps without hacking or stopping the watch.

No AR on the crystal, very clearly.

About 39mm, so fractionally bigger than the XV Pilot's watch. I have a couple of Eddie's new NATOs in the post, and will update the thread with some pictures when they get here.

Thanks to tmilligan for the easy deal.
    Last edited by Qatar-wol; 17th January 2016 at 06:06.

Craftsman
    I really like that. A good size functional piece. Congratulations and wear in good health!

Great choice. This was my first proper watch, and although I have some great watches now, I wear this the most. A keeper for me.

A good looking watch and one I wasn't aware of. Thanks for posting. It wears really well on your wrist.

Master
    Really nice piece, looks like a comfortable fit too?

Craftsman
    Lovely watch, could be next on my wanted list.

I love those, have done since I first saw one (probably on here). Never had the funds at the right time to indulge, sadly. Enjoy!
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Blog Entries
    Should have kept the one on the bracelet I sold you Wol ;-). I think these are cracking watches too. Understated and proper tool.

Craftsman
    Love it ......... congrats !!!!!!

Master
    One of my 'grail' watches. I have the Mk XV to match (on a pyramid bracelet) and would love a TZC on the bracelet but would settle for the leather. The watch is so understated. Lovely.

Master
    And another watch on my wish list.....reading TZ-UK is expensive!

Thank you for the kind comments, it's certainly a lovely watch. There's just something about hte early 2000s-era IWCs that speak to me. Every one of their watches from (for example) the 2002 catalogue is just right. No bling, nothing gaudy, no date wheels in the wrong place, nothing too big. Just right.

Master
    Walter how is manual date change handled on this?

Is it a quick set or like the 16710's advancing the hour hand through 24 hrs to change the date?

No quick set, sadly, so if you let the watch stop for a week or so, you've got some advancing to do. It's a pain, and it means that it's displaced my SD from my winder, where it now sits when I'm not wearing it.

Before it arrived I was a bit worried about the Tritium on the dial and hands, but I've come around to it now. Not only does it look nice with a little patina, but at 4am, the hands and the big triangle are the only bit glowing, and the time can be easily read!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    No quick set, sadly, so if you let the watch stop for a week or so, you've got some advancing to do. It's a pain, and it means that it's displaced my SD from my winder, where it now sits when I'm not wearing it.
    But it's just 24 clicks of the hour hand while the watch still runs, (I assume position one on the crown al la 16710) or do you go to position two, hack the seconds and advance through 24 hours minute by minute?

Either way it's a cracking looking watch and I agree it's from a period. When iwc were bang on the money with their design

Ah, I see - the former. Wind the hour hand forward through 24 clicks as the watch runs, and that advances the date.

I got rid of my old IWC catalogues a few years ago, and now (slightly) regret it. If I think back to the early Noughties, you've for the XV, the 3536 and Deep One, there's this. There's the 3706 chronograph, the Portugese watches, the 5001 Big Pilot. Plus a load of dress and pocket watches. It's a good, clean catalogue.

Master
    There was a Spitfire TZC for sale at an AD recently (preowned) and I was considering it but the model on this thread is THE one imo. How did I miss it??
    Last edited by mrushton; 19th January 2016 at 15:55.

Craftsman
    Hey Walt... glad it arrived safely and you're happy with it.

A great watch which with me just wasn't being worn as much as it deserved!