closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rolex Rumour Mill

The white face Daytona would do me perfectly - that'll be the driver for a (further!) rationalisation of the (already much smaller) 'collection' .... fingers crossed (and then the [probably very] long wait ....) .....

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Err, no.
    One is a parent company making watches, I never said they are one in the same, that's your conclusion gleaned from what I have written.
    The other example was a parent company making cars

I have no idea what comparing groceries with household detergents has to do with it.
    Let me explain it to you then.

Parent company making watches.
    Parent company making cars.
    Parent company making liquid.

Are you seeing the theme yet?
    Its all about parent companies making DIFFERENT BRANDS AND MODELS.

Blog Entries
    Great watch, wear in good health.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Having owned a black dialed Daytona for years, selling it anf then mildly regretting it, I've been considering a white dialled one. If this happens - sold.
    Would we get a discount for two?

All very interesting.

From a company and product mix point of view you can see the glaring hole in the Rolex Ceramic Sports watch range that the non Ceramic Daytona currently sits in.......ergo at some point Rolex will bring out a Ceramic bezel model so that it is a current model in the range. I suspect there is every chance they would enlarge some aspect of the design/works as well but, for me, the addition of a date function would be a 50/50 likelihood here. I would be very happy to see something like this "new" Daytona in S/S coming out and would 100% buy one with the White dial as soon as it was possible to do so. Price wise I'd expect it to be anywhere from £8,900-£9,900 when/if it hits the market post Basel.

As for the GMT with a red hand I fail to see the chances of that ever coming to market. Rolex have - and please feel free to shoot me down - always moved forwards (not backwards) in their range so I just cannot see them bringing out a Steel sports watch that replicates something they did before........that's part of the reason (I believe) they didn't bring out a steel Pepsi GMT (White Gold only) and just the BLNR. I know many watch lovers would like to see Rolex re-launch/re-boot some classic offerings but to date they haven't so why would they now? Also I wouldn't ever buy a S/S Sport Rolex just because a newer model had a different coloured hand....perhaps that makes me a philistine?!

As for the "Blueberry" I quite like that, more than the BLNR maybe. But again I don't see a real convincing product/market reason for bringing it out and, after just 3 years, discontinuing the BLNR isn't going to happen at all IMHO.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Looks like 2 shades of blue to me.
    In that mockup pic yes, but I wonder if the rumour is referring to a single blue like the old blueberrys:

Cool

Err, no.
    I countered your point / opinion with mine
    What's wrong with that? Or is that not allowed?
    If not, I'm so sorry master, won't happen again master, I promise master.
    Have a read of your little tirade. You can't be enjoying yourself much.

We're just having fun chatting about watches, there's no embarking on some selfish personal crusade to prove you know better than everyone. That's boring, prevents you from having even the tiniest bit of credibility and worst of all doesn't include everyone.

Team-work makes the dream work

FWIW, put me down for a white Daytona if they do end up making them.

I've not been convinced by any of the Daytona mock-ups posted recently, although they are obviously the future for the model. I'd have to see one on my wrist first, which might change my opinion.

I agree about the unlikelihood of launching a red hand GMT. Can't see why they'd change it really, although I'd prefer red to green and would consider buying one.

The blueberry GMT looks weird with the different shades of blue on it. If the bezel was one solid colour blue then it might look better. Again, I can't see why they'd do it as the BLNR is seemingly very popular.

What I'd like to see is something done with the Datejust range. It used to be that the Oyster Perpetual, Datejust and Day-Date were all 36mm. Now the OP is 39mm, the DJ is 36 or 41mm and the DD is 36 or 40mm. Will we see a 39mm DJ in line with the OP, or a DJ 40 to match the DD? There needs to be some consistency with these models, otherwise the sizing seems a bit arbitrary.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Let me explain it to you then.

Parent company making watches.
    Parent company making cars.
    Parent company making liquid.

Are you seeing the theme yet?
    Its all about parent companies making DIFFERENT BRANDS AND MODELS.
    I see the general theme of parent companies
    But your example is terrible.
    Parent company making watches. = similar products / same market
    Parent company making cars. = similar products / same market
    Parent company making liquid. = dissimilar products / different markets
    It is all about parent companies making different brands and models in the same market
    Not across different markets.

Got it?
    And no need to shout

Surely Tudor and Rolex are different enough in design and movement etc to make a Rolex 42mm date chrono not simply a repetition of the equivalent Tudor model?

Given the sales the Daytona enjoys, and the reputation that its movement has, would it be particularly worth Rolex's while messing either with the watch (buy increasing the size) or with the movement (by adding a date)?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Which one's the game changer, the Blue GMT? I'd have at least expected a matching blue dial like the Blue Pelagos, or Green Sub.

That looks great! But too close to the white gold watches for Rolex to consider in SS?

LOVE this mock up!
    Last edited by ach5; 27th January 2016 at 12:51.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    People who start squeaking about brand snobbery to a demographic that loves anything from Seiko to A Lange and Sohne are capital letter inducing irritating.

Rolex doesn't make a 42mm Chronograph.
    End of story.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Given the sales the Daytona enjoys, and the reputation that its movement has, would it be particularly worth Rolex's while messing either with the watch (buy increasing the size) or with the movement (by adding a date)?
    Eventually the Daytona will lose its shine and will need an update to keep it fresh in the market. A lot of people think that time has come.

They aren't as rare as they used to be for a start which says something. For example, a few weeks ago my partner and I ordered two watches in an AD and during the chat I mentioned that I'd been wondering about a Daytona possibly. The guy scurried off and came back with two steel Daytonas - one black, one white - and the platinum version too. I was surprised as I'd heard all about the rarity and waiting lists on here, but it seems perhaps that's a thing of the past.

Master
    Does anyone agree, or think I was being a little harsh in my description of the black daytona mock up as looking a little Tag-ish?

If they did go ceramic / panda, do you think it likely they would go 42mm and maxi case too?

As another poster above says, I suspect it would be nigh-on £10k, which makes me sad as I just could never justify spending that on a watch... I just couldn't.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    That looks great! But too close to the white gold watches for Rolex to consider in SS?

LOVE this mock up!
    Yeah, Im loving the blue too, hope they do release a SS version one day!

Master
    I think considering what others have already said, a blue dial GMT makes sense - it's Rolex looking forwards, not backwards and as we already have coloured subs, a coloured GMT would work well. I would buy that blue GMT in a second!

Master
    The only one of those that works for me is the white-dialled Daytona.

I've been toying with the idea of one of these for a while, and that ceramic bezel could tip me over the edge. Combined with the black registers it's a perfect mix of retrospective and contemporary.

Never really been interested in any of the blue dialled or bezelled variants personally.

It is all about parent companies making different brands and models in the same market

Got it?
    And no need to shout
    You don't debate very well and appear to be of the ilk who don't know when they're knocked out on their feet.
    Calm down, have a nice cup of tea and rejoin the discussion later perhaps?

Apprentice
    Daytona my favourite from those as well. The white dial with black registers harks back to the Zenith Daytona and personally I like the black bezel combination very much.
    Problem for me would be the same as I have with my own Zenith Daytona - that I can't see the time without putting reading glasses on !!.......... for that reason I am parting with it and have bought a Sub 14060M that I can read clearly and will probably get a Polar dial Explorer II to rotate with it.
    I have been on the forum for a couple of years but have only used it as a reference point for info on watches I have wanted over that time, but with these wet days (and retirement) I should get more involved.
    I would have liked to put the Daytona on the FS section, but don't have enough posts (wish I had got involved earlier now !)...........but if anyone is interested in one of the very last Zeniths ever made (2000, P111xxx) then it is on eBay until Sunday and then the jeweller I bought it from should be taking it back to sell on commission next week........not trolling, genuine post (and watch) and I would have put my post in even if I wasn't selling my Daytona).

BTW my join date shows Dec '15 as I think my original one had lapsed and Eddie suggested I re-register in order to post !!
    Last edited by goldenpauls; 27th January 2016 at 15:01.

What I find really interesting about all of this is the quote from the site here;

"After a very difficult year where the total watch industry shows a slow down of some 30 % I wonder what will Rolex do at the 2016 Basel Show."

Be interesting to know what has been the decline in subsequent years for watch purchases and as Rolex is a 'Family' business and doesn't reveal too much, who knows how their sales have been in the last 12 months compared to previous years? Are they facing hurdles due to the competition, which would mean they really need to pull something out of the bag to reignite interest in their model line-up. Surely watch sales for all the big brands must have dropped off - hence the bigger marketing campaigns that we see (although that could be my imagination, but it seems Omega are doing everything possible to push their brand) Be very interesting to see what they release, especially like the blue GMT.

I don't like the black ceramic bezel on the white Daytona - looks too heavy IMO.

And as for the "Panda" dial - looks just like the older Zenith Daytonas, which incidentally I prefer.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Imagine the prices of the BLNR if it was discontinued and replaced by the blueberry model... not going to happen but it gives us who want a BLNR a reason to pull the trigger sooner rather than later

Got it?
    And no need to shout
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    You don't debate very well and appear to be of the ilk who don't know when they're knocked out on their feet.
    Calm down, have a nice cup of tea and rejoin the discussion later perhaps?
    Indeed - you're not making a good impression so perhaps you should

Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman
    If these two launch count me in

Quote Originally Posted by maxwellwd View Post
    What I find really interesting about all of this is the quote from the site here;

"After a very difficult year where the total watch industry shows a slow down of some 30 % I wonder what will Rolex do at the 2016 Basel Show."

Be interesting to know what has been the decline in subsequent years for watch purchases and as Rolex is a 'Family' business and doesn't reveal too much, who knows how their sales have been in the last 12 months compared to previous years? Are they facing hurdles due to the competition, which would mean they really need to pull something out of the bag to reignite interest in their model line-up. Surely watch sales for all the big brands must have dropped off - hence the bigger marketing campaigns that we see (although that could be my imagination, but it seems Omega are doing everything possible to push their brand) Be very interesting to see what they release, especially like the blue GMT.
    I think the entry level Oyster Perpetual's were a significant product from last years show. I'd like to see a more entry level offerings from the brand.

Omega have Rio Olympics coming up this year so expect some special editions and lots of extra marketing, Rolex could have a tough summer with the exposure the Omega and the Olympics have globally.

This one looks good:

It does indeed. Reminds me of this with a 6263-esque bezel...

I toyed with the idea of getting an aftermarket ceramic bezel for mine too but it is now back with the original bezel on it, having been with Rolex for a service.

I do like the look with the black bezel though so maybe I'll give it a try...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Very nice but I really cant see them replacing the Batman so early - unless its a second colour option?? I prefer it to the black / blue combo in that pic

Ceramic SS Daytona would be awesome but still find it hard to believe they would release them at this stage with the SS models still selling well - unless that pic of course are the white gold models which would maybe make more sense to get the ceramic upgrade first

Grand Master
    I think the entry level Oyster Perpetual's were a significant product from last years show. I'd like to see a more entry level offerings from the brand.

Omega have Rio Olympics coming up this year so expect some special editions and lots of extra marketing, Rolex could have a tough summer with the exposure the Omega and the Olympics have globally.
    Well commercially, Omega's one-a-day limited editions have become a bit parodic. But seeing their logo plastered everywhere, even more than usual, might be a more general problem for Rolex.

Then again, Rolex does all that media advertising all the time anyway (and boy, don't people complain about it :))
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Quote Originally Posted by maxwellwd View Post

I do wonder whether Rolex's drop would be anything like the industry average. I have no evidence to back it up but suspect that with their brand image they would survive downturns better than most.

Master
    would love to see a slightly larger Daytona; not bothered about the inclusion of a date as it bugs me changing them all the time anyway (it's the 6th today, by the way!)

mine's been in the safe for ages ever since Dom H gave it a very light clean/buff up when i was thinking of selling it a while ago, tried it on a couple of times and just find it a bit too small for a chrono. Love the Panda dial and the ceramic bezel offers a slightly more modern interpretation but still could do with an extra couple of mill.

I always enjoy these community wishlist pics.... and then baselword happens..

Craftsman
    I would like to see the Daytona updated - it has been a while.

Tudor has lately seen a huge amount of investment from Rolex; I wonder if this is a sign that the traditional model isn't working the way it did, and some alternative strategy has to be developed.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by delays View Post
    I would like to see the Daytona updated - it has been a while.

Tudor has lately seen a huge amount of investment from Rolex; I wonder if this is a sign that the traditional model isn't working the way it did, and some alternative strategy has to be developed.
    Dominating the market with brands at every price point has worked out very well for Swatch Group, and covers them no matter which way the economy goes. Rolex have the skills and capacity to do the same, and a ready-made diffusion brand, so why not? All they have to do is keep the designs and identities distinct enough that no one would ever confuse a Tudor for a Rolex, and make sure the Tudor clearly looks like the cheaper version, as appealing as it may be. I wonder if there will be any surprises from Tudor this year? They used to do a rather well sized Datejust alternative...

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Dominating the market with brands at every price point has worked out very well for Swatch Group, and covers them no matter which way the economy goes. Rolex have the skills and capacity to do the same, and a ready-made diffusion brand, so why not? All they have to do is keep the designs and identities distinct enough that no one would ever confuse a Tudor for a Rolex, and make sure the Tudor clearly looks like the cheaper version, as appealing as it may be. I wonder if there will be any surprises from Tudor this year? They used to do a rather well sized Datejust alternative...
    I would agree with this, it protects the brand by catching all potential areas of the market much like the VAG group. What I would say is that being an owner of a Pelagos is that fit and finish to my view was as good if not better than my now departed 90s Explorer 2 (can't comment on the new Rolex models as don't have one..yet). When you look at Tudor compared to Tag and other mid-tier brands I think they are certainly a big step up in terms of quality. I think Tudor make some fantastic watches, it is just a shame that they don't quite have that brand recognition yet with Joe public.

I think I am getting old. I see nothing there that is actually better than the originals, except that these are a bit bigger and slightly cheaper.

I Panda dial, black ceramic Daytona might get my attention, but at the end of the day its still a knock off of the original.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    PS, I'd like to have seen this where the two colours seamlessly fade into each other, rather than the defined "line".
    Impossible to do – it’s not a paint effect, but material that’s in powdered form before being heated and transformed into liquid, then a solid.

Idve thought that getting a crisp line defining the two colours without any seepage would be trickier than having the two shades blend into each other. In fact, l recall that being marvelled at when the bezels first made an appearance.
    Even if lm wrong, ld hesitate to use the word "impossible" where rolex are concerned. Clever lads that lot...

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    I think I am getting old. I see nothing there that is actually better than the originals, except that these are a bit bigger and slightly cheaper.

I Panda dial, black ceramic Daytona might get my attention, but at the end of the day its still a knock off of the original.

Perhaps, in your eyes, cheaper looking as it won't be cheaper in the folding when you come to the crunch Andy.....

Journeyman
    Both GMT's look great!

I assume the Daytona would be the same size as previously?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfan View Post
    In that mockup pic yes, but I wonder if the rumour is referring to a single blue like the old blueberrys:

WOWOWOW !!!!!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kbw- View Post
    Both GMT's look great!

I assume the Daytona would be the same size as previously?
    These aren't officially confirmed watches - just mock ups of what the blog hopes to see. We'll know at Basel.

Grand Master
    We will see and it would be nice but if not theres still many great offerings out there, in terms of price the Daytona will come in at £10k with the Blueberry adding to the range at £6000 like the BLNR. No need to discontinue any other models it just adds to the range. Rolex are more than happy with quite a few datejust and dial configurations so a couple of bezels on a watch is no biggie.
    RIAC

Rolex and Omega pricing 'jumped the shark' for me some time ago sadly, so I have no vested interest in Rolex design direction - however, I don't agree with the theory of 'moving the design forward' and hence dumping some great designs. I really don't like green on watches (and I tried with a Kermit for 7 years!) And a red hand in a GMT just makes more sense imho. So, in 20 years they will have yellow hands and dump the Mercedes hour hand? Make a square Submariner with an chocolate orange bezel?
    To be fair, they might go in any direction - the Clownmaster, the new Seadweller, the 2-tone DSSD, inflated Exp II - some good, some awful - their designs seem all over the shop at the moment. Lots of change for the sake of it to add a couple of thousand to the price ticket and justify it somehow? I still prefer the old stuff, they got it right 30 years ago and are now intent on messing it up! (Mind you getting it perfect 30 years ago and then trying to 'improve' them must be a hell of a job. I don't suppose designers get paid much for saying 'no I don't want the job your watches are perfect iconic designs'!

Grand Master
    It's generational you like the bygone era and others prefer the modern and in 30 years time the current model buyers will be reeling about the changes again. It's all part of watch evolution. Look at the 50's and 60's. Some superb watches but sadly most are less than 36mm rendering them too small for the majority these days which is such a shame.

Embrace, enjoy, and evolve. They are all great past present and future
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    "Dominating" isn't quite the word I'd use when it comes Swatch Group; their sales numbers come from owning a huge variety of also-rans.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    It's generational you like the bygone era and others prefer the modern and in 30 years time the current model buyers will be reeling about the changes again.
    I'm not sure it's exactly generational in the sense that some of the younger buyers prefer the older ones, and vica versa. But without doubt some feel they got it right 30-50 years ago, and some want the shiniest, newest and largest one. They may indeed change places one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    "Dominating" isn't quite the word I'd use when it comes Swatch Group; their sales numbers come from owning a huge variety of also-rans.
    True, not the right word, you'd have to take account of Richemont and the large independents. But they seem to be doing ok!

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I don't suppose designers get paid much for saying 'no I don't want the job your watches are perfect iconic designs'!
    38mm Datejust, classic case shape, flatter bezel, roughly like the 16000. Black, grey, blue or champagne dial. Oyster bracelet, Glidelock clasp, or at least easylink. Job done. But for some reason this eludes them.

Journeyman
    These aren't officially confirmed watches - just mock ups of what the blog hopes to see. We'll know at Basel.
    Yes of course, I was just wondering what the speculators were saying (hoping).

I hope they phase out the green hand GMT - mine will then shoot up in value!!!!

much better

Which one's the game changer, the Blue GMT? I'd have at least expected a matching blue dial like the Blue Pelagos, or Green Sub.

Far nicer than the black dial

Well done Chris

Tim