closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Recent "fake, franken or real Rolex sub" thread disappeared?

Craftsman

Recent "fake, franken or real Rolex sub" thread disappeared?

Anyone know what's happened to the recent thread on a 5513 case but with aftermarket dial, hands and bezel? OP was based in Glasgow.
    It seems to have disappeared and I was following it with genuine interest.

Probably nuked given the fact that references to the male genitalia was being used as a form of salutation from one member to another.

Master
    Burnsey let loose with some abusive language which caused the thread to be deleted.

Journeyman
    Hopefully the OP will update us all as and when he finds out the truth.

Master
    That was my thread.

I'll put a conclusion on the internet somewhere as a few were interested. I'll keep it clear of here to avoid trouble.

Craftsman
    Just put it back up here, I think we're all genuinely interested to see how it turns out... shame it was nuked.

Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    That was my thread.

I'll put a conclusion on the internet somewhere as a few were interested. I'll keep it clear of here to avoid trouble.
    Don't let the usual idiots put you off posting on here.

Just post it up here, as they say in parliament - 'lessons have been learnt'.

I was looking forward to seeing how that turned out.

Shame some people spoilt if for the rest of us.

OP: please post up your findings on this thread.

Thanks

The forum mostly contains good people with a sprinkling of ar**holes, I usually find if you try and ignore the bad eggs, it works out fine.
    Always try and remember "don't feed the trolls", it is difficult at times but believe me it is the best formula.

That was my thread.

Craftsman
    That was my thread.

Do post the conclusion back here. I'm sure it will be fine. Some of us are really looking forward to the outcome

Master
    Likewise, I found it very interesting please do post an update when you have one

Likewise, genuinely interested. If you can't post about watches on a watch forum, we might as well call it a day here?

Master
    I never even read the original thread and I'm interested too!

Please post an update here. Was really looking forwaRd to the next update.

The original thread wasn't removed because of you OP! Don't be afraid to update us! 👍

Craftsman
    Please update - very interested to hear how things progress!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by paule23 View Post
    Aaahh, you missed out big time!

Quick skinny: OP consulted the forum on father's watch of 30 years' standing, bar brief period out of his possession when stolen (then returned). Case appears to be genuine 5513, but with aftermarket bezel & insert by owner. Hands, dial and crown likely fake, but probably not to owner's knowledge. Bracelet and caseback - not sure.
    We are all waiting for the back to be opened up to reveal the movement.

@Mowflow (OP) - Hope you don't mind the summary. Will delete if you object.

I even sat down and prepared a cuppa and some richtea biscuits and went to look for the thread....

last I heard a look between the lugs was happening, but to avoid being PM'd by all and sundy I suggest to the OP to post the findings of said lug scouting operation here
    the more grown up of us can make our own judgments as to the authenticity and keep it to ourselves

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    ^ markings in between the lugs revealed 5513 model no and a partial serial that had been rubbed over time.

Master
    Yes, the legibility wasn't great. Andyg made a very helpful post about the dates but I can't remember the exact details. If you ran the serial as was it came up as 1954 (or was it 58?) which is obviously wrong. On one US site it said 54 or 63. Andyg worked out if a number was missing from one or other end it placed it either 68 or 97 I think his dates were. The later is definitely wrong so we are down to 68 or 63 (when I say "we" I mean my father and I, everyone else is free to think otherwise). The pointed crown guards would suggest 63 but it's all speculation.

My old man has taken up the mantle now. His own curiosity is piqued and he told me today he's taking it in somewhere in the next few weeks to get it opened. I told him to get pics of the movement and the inside of the case back. I don't expect it'll be quick.
    Last edited by mowflow; 1st February 2016 at 19:19.

Blog Entries
    My old man has taken up the mantle now. His own curiosity is piqued and he told me today he's taking it in somewhere in the next few weeks to get it opened. I told him to get pics of the movement and the inside of the case back. I don't expect it'll be quick.
    Excellent. :-)

Master
    Where is he going to get it opened? A high street watch repairer like Timpsons? Is he able to take good clear macro photos of a watch movement?!

Craftsman
    Are you able to go with him to make sure it's done by somebody competent? Decent photos needed too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skool View Post
    Where is he going to get it opened? A high street watch repairer like Timpsons? Is he able to take good clear macro photos of a watch movement?!
    No, I doubt he'll do that. He briefly toyed with the idea of buying the tool and DIY but I mentioned the advice I got here on how a cheap one could chew the back. He realised that was a daft idea and the seal would need replaced what with it being around 20 years old. He then started mumbling on about moisture in the atmosphere.

He's capable of good photography, used to be his main hobby. Whether he does this right is another matter. I suspect it will be phone shots rather than the macro shoot with reflectors and diffusers that you sometimes see on here. Thankfully his phone is one of those Xperia more a camera than a phone jobbies so will be better than my crappy efforts.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paule23 View Post
    +1

Post it!