closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Pre-shave Oil - Safety Razor

Craftsman

Pre-shave Oil - Safety Razor

I recently started using a safety razor - another thing I wasn't interested in before I started using this forum but I am now. Now I'm finally getting good at it I'm loving using it. I've seen that there are pre-shave oils you can buy for application before the shaving cream.

So are they worth using? Which ones would you guys recommend?

By the way, if anyone's tempted to make the switch I would definitely recommend it, it makes for an excellent shave and it's very rewarding as you get better at it.

Master
    I've always wet shaved.
    The pre-shave oils are a bit of a con IMO. just wet your face with water then apply shaving foam / gel.
    A good post shave moisturiser to ease the skin (if it have been irritated by the shave, and that's it

Geo F Trumpers Skin Food is good and can be used pre/post shave. Using a shaving brush to lather will produce a smoother shave too.

Master
    I travel everywhere with my fatboy and a packet of feathers

Here's a good tip.

Lots of people remember to moisturise but a lot of people ignore the toning and sterilising of a proper after shave. probably because after shave is now used more like man perfume these days.

I've been using this US product called Tend Skin http://www.tendskin.com/ as I was getting some problematic in growing hairs.

This stuff worked a treat and my skin is in great shape. You could probably make this stuff yourself with rubbing alcohol and a dash of witch hazel ( I see recipes including crushed asprin).

After the toner I wait about 10 mins and then moisturise ( I used to use Clinique but these days I can use anything from E45 to Neutrogena as they are much cheaper and just as good for me).

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    I travel everywhere with my fatboy and a packet of feathers
    Are you taking bookings for the summer season?
    g

Wet face, use 50p Palmolive shave stick, use a shaving brush to lather (Badger works best for me) then shave.

Afterwards I use a cheap Alum block & then some moisturiser.

Job done.

Dave

Better still - wet face, apply pretty much any foam or soap, shave face. Join the ranks of many millions who do it every single morning of their lives with great results and absolutely no drama or unnecessary ceremony at all.
    It's called shaving...

...don't overthink it...

Edit:- here we go...
    Last edited by Umbongo; 1st February 2016 at 20:31.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbongo View Post
    Better still - wet face, apply pretty much any foam or soap, shave face. Join the ranks of many millions who do it every single morning of their lives with great results and absolutely no drama or unnecessary ceremony at all.
    It's called shaving...

...don't overthink it...
    Get up in the morning, put on your F-91W, tell the time, it's a watch.

Sometimes it's not about the destination but it's the journey.....

Pre-shave Oil - Safety Razor

Face scrub to soften the stubble, shaving oil, shaving gel, Hydro razor, aftershave balm.
    My face is as smooth as a baby's bottom.

Which, obviously, is more than you can say for my bottom!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post

To those who truly enjoy the scraping away of facial hair as much as l like the appearance and engineering of a decent watch l say knock yourselves out.
    It's the people who actually can't get their heads around the basic grooming elements of the task that make me literally despair...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post

I agree with you about F91 wearers enjoying the journey - for a proportion of them it's their last :-)

+1 for the Aloe Gel, Muhle or Jagger, Alum block and then Aloe gel.

B
    Last edited by Brian; 2nd February 2016 at 12:37.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I agree with you about F91 wearers enjoying the journey - for a proportion of them it's their last :-)

B

I suspect that those on their final journeys with their F91's don't actually do a lot of shaving

I suspect that those on their final journeys with their F91's don't actually do a lot of shaving
    What about all their moustachioed virgins they'll be meeting.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I agree with you about F91 wearers enjoying the journey - for a proportion of them it's their last :-)B

I'd assume that the F91 wearers who make the return journey have had a very close shave indeed.

Journeyman
    Oils is very good as long as professional barber using that on you ( you don't have to clean up all the mess after)

Proraso cream is superb - not sticky/greasy unlike the oils, so much easier to use when time is against you

Master
    Got some pre shave oil to try but haven't had the time to pamper myself and try it yet. Plus shaving less so don't need it so much. Wouldn't go back to an electric shaver now though you do have to stay reasonably alert with a feather blade near your face.

As someone else has said and I tend to agree with it the pre shave oils are a bit of a con. A good hot wash with any foam well worked in is what I find best! a nice cold blade and bobs your uncle. I am however a huge advocate of the post shave cream especially Prorasso. Makes your face as smooth as a s**t sandwich.

Musgo Real Glyce Lime Oil Pre-Shave Soap

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Claus-Porto-...74600SZQK4NVZ3

If you are using a Badger Hair shaving brush I've heard pre-shave oils can damage them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Strnglwhank View Post
    If you are using a Badger Hair shaving brush I've heard pre-shave oils can damage them.

I've never found oil to be any improvement over decent soap or cream. In fact it seriously gums up my razors and makes a mess of the sink.

I've never found oil to be any improvement over decent soap or cream. In fact it seriously gums up my razors and makes a mess of the sink.
    Agreed - I use Edwin Jagger pre-shave cream and Poraso shave cream.

Craftsman
    I don't use any pre shave oil, just shave immediately after a shower with the GF Trumper cream and a double edge razor. Then apply some balm after.

Works nicely.

I don't give anymore thought to shaving as I do washing my arm pits

Apply shaving foam, shave, bit of aftershave if I feel like it.

It doesn't need to be turned into something akin to Japanese tea ceremony ffs