closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Rolex for 18th? Where to buy?

Craftsman
    So I must confess I skipped page2, knowing how the nadir hits generally with threads here...
    Firstly, your son is lucky and sounds like a sensible chap from what you tell us, so maybe the doomsday predictions of him falling over and obliterating his watch may not come to pass...
    Secondly, in terms of longevity and classic Rolex, a Sub is undoubtedly the way to go and will be extremely versatile going forward. I would echo other suggestions of an explorer (but not explorer II)- either the classic 36mm or 39mm depending on how big his wrists are and how much more growth he potentially has.
    With regards to where to buy from, the age old adage of "buy the seller" rules. Most straightforward is a dealer who is respected in second hand world (if you choose to go down that route), with Haywood Miltons "Miltonaires" being a prime pick (no affiliation on my part) or a grey dealer such as Iconic or Chronext as have been suggested previously.
    Good luck and don't be surprised if you begin a new hobby on his behalf...
    Ps apologies for not being inflammatory/funny/trying to stay on topic!!😜

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by humphriespaul View Post
    With regards to where to buy from, the age old adage of "buy the seller" rules. Most straightforward is a dealer who is respected in second hand world (if you choose to go down that route), with Haywood Miltons "Miltonaires" being a prime pick
    Ok so yesterday we decided upon the sub that was posted earlier from miltonaires. Called up mr Milton who would not post the watch, even if we paid in full up front.. Only sells to customers who go into the shop...for us that's impossible (we are Hertfordshire/London, he's in Liverpool?

So, if anyone has any ideas as to where another almost new sub is being sold for approx £4k please, please can you let me know.....so disappointed.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dafdaf View Post
    Ok so yesterday we decided upon the sub that was posted earlier from miltonaires. Called up mr Milton who would not post the watch, even if we paid in full up front.. Only sells to customers who go into the shop...for us that's impossible (we are Hertfordshire/London, he's in Liverpool?

So, if anyone has any ideas as to where another almost new sub is being sold for approx £4k please, please can you let me know.....so disappointed.
    https://www.blowers-jewellers.co.uk/
    http://www.watches.co.uk/
    http://www.watchcentre.com/
    http://www.watchguru.com/WatchFiend
    http://watchesofdistinction.com/
    http://www.hackettwatches.com/

Master
    I can only suggest the new option from chrononext at £4660 posted earlier, they have a shop in Green Park so you might be able to do a slightly better deal if you collect rather than post.

There is a offer code of tube or tube10 which takes £100 off the price so perhaps another £40-50 to collect in person. This seems so close to some of the S/H prices that I couldn't see value in buying S/H.

https://www.chronext.co.uk/rolex/sub.../114060/001678
    Last edited by Captain Morgan; 19th January 2016 at 11:48. Reason: added link

Master

I had no discussion of this nature myself with anyone yesterday, but one of the watch team or the many other staff may indeed have confirmed what our website FAQ states : that clients need to call into one of the four shops to do business and that we do not entertain any sort of mail order or internet business.

I am sorry that this disappoints, as you have had some good advice here on the forum. You can at least keep ours to hand to use when bargaining with another seller (hint: search for "114060" in my search box and you'll see all the others we've sold since July 2014, too).

Try Rony at Watchcentre.com mentioned above ( Watches & Jewellery of Bond Street ) in London, he's a good guy, as is Dom Hackett (also mentioned above). No disrespect to the others on that list intended.

With kind regards,

Haywood
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 19th January 2016 at 12:04.

Craftsman
    That's good customer service, recommending other sellers and even saying 'use my pricing as a bargaining tool'. Good customer service goes a hell of a img way for me. If I was in the market for this watch I would be happy to drive a couple of hundred miles to collect and feel happy I was in good hands should I need to make a warranty claim etc. even if I had to pay a deposit and collect at a short later date. Make a day out of it with the kids??? £40 fuel isn't a big deal.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrbarry View Post
    That's good customer service, recommending other sellers and even saying 'use my pricing as a bargaining tool'. Good customer service goes a hell of a img way for me. If I was in the market for this watch I would be happy to drive a couple of hundred miles to collect and feel happy I was in good hands should I need to make a warranty claim etc. even if I had to pay a deposit and collect at a short later date. Make a day out of it with the kids??? £40 fuel isn't a big deal.
    Agree completely, but we simply can't get to Livepool this side of the birthday. We are up at 4am and don't get home again until 7pm all week, and as you would expect our weekends are jam packed busy (esp given that there are only two weekends before Feb. Also, unfortunately we have saved £4k..we just can't save another few hundred pounds plus before feb!

On a lighter note, £40 of petrol wouldn't get me far...I would be rather interested in a car that could do London to Liverpool return on £40....want to sell yours?

Apprentice
    Haywood Milton,
    Understood, however if you or any of your staff would happen to come to London/Herts in the next week or so, maybe you could give us a shout..would be over the moon to meet up and buy the watch from you (albeit a little closer to home.)

Apprentice
    Thanks. Just tried all these with no joy. They seem dearer for an older sub.

Ho hum. Still hunting.

Master

Ho hum. Still hunting.
    That will likely be the case due to the expense of running a London business. I'm afraid that most of the London places are often a little more expensive for the equivalent watch.

Craftsman
    On a lighter note, £40 of petrol wouldn't get me far...I would be rather interested in a car that could do London to Liverpool return on £40....want to sell yours?
    haha yeah from London maybe not. From wolves I can do Lpool and back on £40. Can do it for £20 on my blade, and quicker lol.

Grand Master

Frankly, it isn`t impossible, and you know that......think about it!

Have to agree with Miltonaires policy on this, it saves a lot of potential problems. Personally, I think it's worth taking the trouble to make the journey, it's a big ticket purchase after all. You even get a day out thrown in too, there's plenty to see in Liverpool.

Tracking the 'right' Rolex down isn`t as easy at people think. The hard part is finding the right watch at a sensible price from a trusted seller, catching a train and taking some time to collect it is the easy bit. I speak from experience.

Paul

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Ho hum. Still hunting.

You could have a go at this sea dweller from official watches. theyre in green lanes.

http://www.officialwatches.com/rolex...-16600-ow41380

Id suggest speaking to Dino about a discount. He's usually pretty good.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Frankly, it isn`t impossible, and you know that......think about it!l
    Hmmm? Still thinking... Can't magic anymore time (7hr return trip in car, 6 hrs (£80!!!) by train.... And not a spare moment to boot! working on getting mates to go, but no takers yet!

Master
    Hmmm? Still thinking... Can't magic anymore time (7hr return trip in car, 6 hrs (£80!!!) by train.... And not a spare moment to boot! working on getting mates to go, but no takers yet!
    Jeepers, this is painful. For the sake of the forum's sanity I might break my own rules. Drop me a pm on hm at miltons.co.uk and I'll see what I can do to resolve this thread !

H

Craftsman
    Great news Haywood.......watch this space everyone

Craftsman
    Haywood, Sir, you continue to go up in my estimation.

Great integrity and customer focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Jeepers, this is painful. For the sake of the forum's sanity I might break my own rules. Drop me a pm on hm at miltons.co.uk and I'll see what I can do to resolve this thread !

H
    I'm very sorry Haywood & dafdaf, that's my fault....

I hadn't actually checked and didn't realise you didn't do mail or indeed not knowing the birthday date if the OP could get there or not of course....

so I wholeheartedly apologise to you both ....

the OP (said dafdaf) was trying to find a Rolex model to choose and then one to look at,

and I of course recommended you and when saw it then your lovely sub to her thinking no more of it.

It's very kind of you to get involved and try and help her and looks like they do appreciate it.
    Once again sorry for any inconvenience to all parties I did mean to help not hinder....
    Last edited by lordloz; 19th January 2016 at 21:12.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lordloz View Post
    I'm very sorry Haywood & dafdaf, that's my fault I hadn't checked and didn't realise you didn't do mail.

so I wholeheartedly apologise to you both ....

the OP (said dafdaf) was trying to find one and I recommended you if course and this lovely sub to her thinking no more of it.

It's very kind of you to get involved and try and help her and looks like they do appreciate it. Once again sorry for any inconvenience to all parties I did mean to help not hinder....
    Crikey, no need to apologise for kind words! As it seems no-one else has just the right watch at the minute (I did suggest some likely sources), I'll see if I can sort the OP out.

Thanks, H

Craftsman
    Hi,
    I'm new here! And I hope you don't mind, but I'm not into watches (although I do like my lacroix)! I'm after some help finding a Rolex for my sons 18th birthday.

He's always wanted a Rolex. We have saved approx £4k to buy him a decent one as a surprise gift. We were thinking of a datejust2, op 39mm or a milgauss. Need not be brand new but newer would be preferred.

As I can't access the private sales area I seem to be stuck going to the iconic/chrono24 route for best prices. And am still unsure which model to choose..

Any help you can offer would be very much appreciated. Thanks from a grateful mum.
    Lucky lad!

Crikey, no need to apologise for kind words! As it seems no-one else has just the right watch at the minute (I did suggest some likely sources), I'll see if I can sort the OP out.

Thanks, H
    Very kind of you to say so also, thanks _ glad I haven't caused too much grief,
    I posted up as they aren't watch collectors as such and I thought of you as a great source of Rolex info and one of our most trusted retailers and was ideal model and source for them.

When my seadweller piggy bank finally fills up I can see a trip to Liverpool is on the cards ... Best regards

Craftsman

H
    Well that's something you don't see every day! When I'm next in the market for a Rolex I feel a trip to Liverpool coming on....

Quote Originally Posted by humphriespaul View Post
    Well that's something you don't see every day! When I'm next in the market for a Rolex I feel a trip to Liverpool coming on....
    No they offer a mail order service now ;)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !

Ha-ha!

Ha-ha!
    Ha was wondering how long it would be :)

Master
    If it were me.....I'd ask Milton to get the watch to his Chester shop, and pick it up from there.......Chester? Liverpool... No contest😎

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    If it were me.....I'd ask Milton to get the watch to his Chester shop, and pick it up from there.......Chester? Liverpool... No contest
    Great idea! The forum can decide everything I do.

I'll tell Mrs. M. she can have a few days off :-)

Craftsman
    One swallow does not a summer make....😜

Great idea! The forum can decide everything I do.

I'll tell Mrs. M. she can have a few days off :-)
    50% TZ discount?

Master
    50% TZ discount?
    Ah, you want the Goldsmiths experience? Just let me double the price for 28 days first....

Ah, you want the Goldsmiths experience? Just let me double the price for 28 days first....
    Being serious though I would be quite happy to make the journey to buy my first Rolex from you when the time comes

Ha-ha!
    Oh dear... what did I start? sorry... Haywood... again... Doh!

Apprentice
    The wonderful Haywood Milton is indeed a star! He's gone the extra mile for us and we shall soon be receiving the Sub. Thanks so much for all the help offered by everyone.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Good to hear you're sorted.
    Hope your son enjoys his birthday!

Craftsman
    I think this is a wonderful thread - OP's intentions (lucky lad!), community spirit, great choice of watch, great choice of dealer, happy ending - it's all there.
    Warm glowy feeling now....

Journeyman
    Congrats to all involved. Definitely need to see some pics of the watch on the lucky guy's wrist when he receives it.

The wonderful Haywood Milton is indeed a star! He's gone the extra mile for us and we shall soon be receiving the Sub. Thanks so much for all the help offered by everyone.
    I told you.....

Glad I could point you in the right direction and found that one for you.
    I'm sure you'll be very happy with it you couldn't have got it from a better source.

Best regards to you ( and as Haywood went beyond the call of duty) you're very lucky.

Craftsman
    Haywood Milton, what a guy!

Craftsman
    This thread has restored my faith in this forum

Apprentice
    Well, the big day has arrived!! Our Son is 18 today!
    Now we wait til he drags his body from his bed...then we can give him his present...THE Sub from Haywood!
    Can't wait to see his face! Will make sure he introduces himself on this forum, sometime after the party!

Many Happy Returns to your son and thanks for keeping us updated Dafdaf.
    Have a wonderful day.

What an extremely lucky lad - a Rolex for his 18th and wonderful, thoughtful parents!
    Now, make sure he wears it, everday, everywhere without `babying` it too much - you can`t rush authentic `patina`, it takes years and years of use.
    May they both have many memorable adventures together over the next 70+ years! (son and the watch)

(oh, and i hope he owns just the one watch, having just the one in a lifetime is a really cool thing to have done)

Looking forward to reading about his reaction to receiving the watch..

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    (oh, and i hope he owns just the one watch, having just the one in a lifetime is a really cool thing to have done)
    Reckon there's not much chance of that if he does come on here.....

Master
    Excellent news. Much respect to Haywood.

Master
    All I did was bend my own rules a little bit to help out a very pleasant poster who'd luckily found his way to the right forum for help. I've made a profit so no halo deserved on my part.

It's the OP who has saved a significant sum, done his sensible research and chosen to celebrate his son's birthday this way. I hope it's a hit!

H

Apprentice
    Exellent outcome!

Craftsman
    Well, the big day has arrived!! Our Son is 18 today!
    Now we wait til he drags his body from his bed...then we can give him his present...THE Sub from Haywood!
    Can't wait to see his face! Will make sure he introduces himself on this forum, sometime after the party!
    so I guess you owe us a wristshot!

Journeyman
    Have a good one lad, slowly next generation is going to take over

Apprentice
    Looking forward to seeing the wristshots and hearing how he reacted.

Craftsman
    Brilliant thread this. Your son is very lucky to be getting such a fantastic watch for his 18th. And very lucky to have such kind parents. Hopefully he's very happy with his present :)