Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
Ok so I'm normally a gin drinker (among other things) and whiskey has never really floated my boat due to the fact that when I've tried some it always seems to be heavily peated and has a burn to it on the way down. I've tried several over the years but generally with the same result. A friend of mine brought me a bottle of Jura superstition for a recent birthday. To be honest I find it bloody awful. It tastes like peat bog water passed through an old sock held over a green wood fire that someone then puffs a B&H into the bottle. Obviously just my opinion as I'm sure some enjoy it. So the question is, is there a palatable light to non peaty whiskey out there that may suit or am I just better off sticking to gin?
I tend to stick to the Irish (oddly enough) any Scotch i've ever tried always tasted like your above, perfect, description.

No need to spend a fortune on snobbery, only to find you still dont like it. Just get yourself a bottle of Bushmills, Powers or Jameson and start from there. In my opinion Irish is a bit sharper on the tongue but goes down more smoothly. Plus as an added bonus it doesnt taste like you've mixed it with the contents of a wood burning stove.