closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Knife fascination

Less than a tenner delivered, sharp as a very, very sharp thing and a looker. Nice quality as well.................

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ilpage_o05_s00

Quote Originally Posted by Corporalsparrow View Post
    So…all you knife guys…could you recommend a decent, not-too-expensive flooding knife with a lockable blade?

(I did look at that hennie website but all the locking blade terminology left me flummoxed.)

Journeyman
    Luckywatch,

I wouldn't carry a locking folder except when I'm actually working and have a good reason to carry a locking blade.

For everyday use I have two favourites, the SOG Slipzilla and the Boker Plus XS. The Slipzilla is more difficult to open and is therefore less likely to close on you but, it is almost two handed opening. The Boker has a thumb stud that makes it very fast to open and is pretty positive once open. Neither have closed on me in use.

Best advice is try a few in your hand and see what suits you

Graham

My First Spyderco has arrived and it's gorgeous

Here's a quick photo taken on my phone:

And here it is with the Sanrenmu that Soapy sent me and a Wenger that I already had (and is my watch knife):

The Sage is a lovely knife and very sharp straight out of the box, the Carbon Fibre scales have a nice texture and the whole thing is pretty lightweight too.
    The action to open it is so smooth and I'm loving the flat grind.
    Very happy so far, can't wait for my other 2 small ones to arrive.
    Last edited by Thorien; 16th February 2016 at 17:18.

Ver nice selection ⬆️⬆️

Quick and dirty pics of the Spyderco Bug that arrived today

Smaller than the Honeybee
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Ha ha, that really is pretty small. Very nice.

That bug is tiny isn't it, I'm thinking maybe I should have gone for that instead of the Honeybee for the car keys, ah well, will decide when it arrives.

I bought a SAK Classic for my door key, it's pretty small but has a few functions. Might be worth thinking about.

^ thanks, I think the Honeybee wont arrive for at least 3-4 weeks so will make a decision after that, though it's not huge, with a closed length of just 5.2cm - it should be Ok for the keys.

Damn this forum again - I have now realised I REALLY NEED a UK legal EDC.

So I have narrowed it down to either (i) Boker Plus XS OD; (ii) Fallkniven LTC; (iii) Boker Plus Tech Tool 1; (iv) Enzo PK70

Of course I haven't felt, or even seen, any of these sharp pointy things (thanks you Heinnie Haynes), but if anyone who has owned any of these can give me advice I'd appreciate it.

Obviously, if ive missed any others please let me know (not spyderco, they look stupid!)

Out those you've listed I like that Boker Plus Tech tool, very nice. I'm starting to think this thread is going to hit my wallet hard also

Have to say though, I love my Spyderco too!!
    Last edited by Thorien; 17th February 2016 at 00:25.

I've had a Leatherman Micra for keyring duties for some years now. http://www.leatherman.co.uk/product/micra
    F.T.F.A.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post

So I have narrowed it down to either (i) Boker Plus XS OD; (ii) Fallkniven LTC; (iii) Boker Plus Tech Tool 1; (iv) Enzo PK70

Of course I haven't felt, or even seen, any of these sharp pointy things (thanks you Heinnie Haynes), but if anyone who has owned any of these can give me advice I'd appreciate it.

Obviously, if ive missed any others please let me know (not spyderco, they look stupid!)
    Of those I would get the enzo

that is if I didn't have 2 ukpk g10 scales,without doubt the best folder ever
    Locking or otherwise at that size

Thanks guys. I don't wan't up dig a ditch for myself here, but the ukpk is funny looking! It's like a mini crocodile!

Quote Originally Posted by soapy View Post
    Of those I would get the enzo

that is if I didn't have 2 ukpk g10 scales,without doubt the best folder ever
    Locking or otherwise at that size
    Why do you prefer the Enzo out of curiosity mate? It looks like it has a sharp 90 degree point to the back of the blade when locked

Banned
    the ltc is less useful than a alox sak
    the bokers xs is good but way to tactical looking
    tech tool is ok but again alox sak is more useful and better made

plus I have read reviews of them all

that only leaves the Enzo which is ugly but oozes quality and has very good reviews
    plus you can get it in a scandi grind which is good in the outdoors [mostly I prefer FFG ]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRQGprgBiPo

in use

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGeDm0Jx20c
    Last edited by soapy; 17th February 2016 at 01:08.

Banned
    On of my UKPKs with craftsman's made knife slip [not me].

If you handle it you will understand why its so good, its design is to the maximum of practicality
    I can open and close one handed without looking and in total safety [never cut myself with a ukpk].
    Its so good that I sold my locking spydercos like the delica, in my view its a lot better.
    the blade is perfect for slicing everything from tomatoes to fuel line.

you can see the form for the grip here its never shut on me it also suits big hands.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Genuine question - what do you use them for?

I can't think of a single time in the past how ever many years when I have been out and about and thought "Damn, if only I had a knife on me I could do X"
    This was one bought for use in the home:

I got it for xmas, in preparation for the return of the TV show "The Walking Dead".

I'm a couple of days late getting around to watching it (it screened 14 Feb US time), but I'll be sitting up in bed with it tonight while watching the show, and keeping the wife and I zombie free.

Rob.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    So, sharpening systems - what's the best without spending mega bucks.
    As others have said, Edge Pro Apex. Trouble is, it's quite spendy.

Just like you might buy a Marcello C Nettuno, to wear for a month or two to see if you want to drop heavy coin on a real Submariner, there are cheaper options (though copies/fakes, not hommages).

I got a Chinese copy fpr $30, to check out if it worked for me before dropping $400-$500 on the real one.

When you look into it, the stones with the real one are not necessarily the "best" for different steels anyway, and there is an after market in stones too. So even if I bought the real one, then I'd end up getting after market stones anyway.

Like watches, a never ending spiral.

Rob.

Master
    Some UK edc knives I own, or have owned.

Spyderco squeak (like a very small UKPK)

Spyderco Pingo (Thumb studs added by me)

Spyderco dog tag (very small, size of a dog tag!)

Boker subcom 42, spyderco squeak, Boker nano 42

Taditional folder by Russ White Sheffield

Spyderco UKPK with custom CF scales

You're doing it wrong

Quote Originally Posted by bitfield View Post
    I wouldn't buy a locking folder, except for fun at home, because a knife that's not on you is useless, and you're not allowed to carry locking blades (in the UK).

The best compromise is probably what's called a 'slipjoint' folder: the only thing preventing the blade from closing is friction, but some knives are so stiff that you're very unlikely to close the blade by accident. I have a nice Boker Plus XS which is like this.
    Oh I wouldn't leave home with it. I have a feeble hook-billed knife at the moment that's mostly used for opening sacks, general maintenance and stuff like that (it's a large house/grounds).

It's also very useful for cutting though dried grass that gets wound around the blade spinners underneath the big ride-on mowers. That requires quite a lot of force - hence the locking blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob (NZ) View Post
    As others have said, Edge Pro Apex. Trouble is, it's quite spendy.
    Of course, you can sharpen knives by hand, if you're prepared to learn how. A set of Japanese waterstones will set you back less than a fancy sharpening system, and has the advantage that you can sharpen any type and angle of blade.

And it's not all that difficult to learn—I reckon with 30 minutes practice on some knackered old knives you'll be quite capable of putting an edge on anything. I'm always surprised at the number of people who are interested in knives, but don't know how to sharpen them.

Banned
    I use the larger one of these

I am not very good at it though so am very careful.

http://www.heinnie.com/fallkniven-whetstones

Quote Originally Posted by Roy_Drage View Post
    I bought a SAK Classic for my door key, it's pretty small but has a few functions. Might be worth thinking about.

This is my EDC as I've said already.

Sure the blade is small, but it's a very useful bit of kit for its size.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Go somewhere where you can try them if possible. If you're going to use it every day it needs to be comfortable to carry and easy to open.
    I went through a number of knives including a CRKT Liong Mah and Sog Slipzilla, both of which were too heavy and needed two hands to open.
    They may appear silly, but I don't think the Spyderco UKPK can be beaten, the Byrd Tern is also a decent alternative.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Corporalsparrow View Post
    Oh I wouldn't leave home with it. I have a feeble hook-billed knife at the moment that's mostly used for opening sacks, general maintenance and stuff like that (it's a large house/grounds).

It's also very useful for cutting though dried grass that gets wound around the blade spinners underneath the big ride-on mowers. That requires quite a lot of force - hence the locking blade.
    That's the thing, if you have a good reason for carrying a locking blade then it is perfectly acceptable. I tend to use a locking blade folder for work as cutting through drums ( to ensure that they cannot be used again) as it is safer and to date I've never had any issue with carrying it.

I also use a locking blade when out on the hill. Again, no issue even when the Police are about.

Rest of the time, it's a non locking folder. Never leave home without one.

Graham

Banned
    I have never seen anyone else with one of these,I have 2.

2 years ago I broke down on my motorcycle in SW France they took me to a town I knew nothing about.

While awaiting repairs I came across a knife shop where the owner also made a traditional family knife [for that area].

I had him check and adjust the 2 I purchased.

the quality is something else, a very strong back spring and a perfect slicing blade similar in use to a UKPK.

easy open with the thumb and finger, also very hand friendly.

as its 2 handed its more acceptable in France and other European country's.

this is the more expensive screwed rather than pinned version, a vast choice of different wood for the handles as well.

I bought a brown wood first, then went back for this black one the next day [I figured I would never come back].

the black is the one I use and prefer not sure why.

Master
    Kershaw, ken Onion design Leek.

On my third, always in a pocket. Best knife for the money you can buy in my opinion. Does not exactly fit UK laws admittedly (apart from size) but I'm hardly high risk for a frisk.

Master
    i quite like knives, i dont really know why buti was always fascinated by them as a kid and never allowed one (very strict parents) but i recently saw through Soapy's posts that you can still buy Alox SAK. I remember seeing them as a nipper and loving the look of them so i took receipt of this today:

what a great little object. 21 quid for a knife with a lifetime guarantee is pretty good in my opinion!

I have a few other knives, mostly tactical types but i also recently bought this little uk friendly folder from the Bushcraft store (shown next to the larger fixed knife version)and it is a very nice thing:

Ive got a bit of a thing for SAK as the first knife i ever bought was aSAK. i bought one of these a short while back and to be honest it is a bit pointless as it is not leagal to carry without a good reason and good reasons are not as easy to think of as you might hope.

i like that the red shield is the lock release for the frankly massive blade!

I also carry a tiny SAK penknife which i use probably every other day at least.

The silliest knife i ever bought was this folding gerber which i bought from the American PX in Afghanistan because it looked cool and cost about 20 quid. It is blinkin' massive and based on the fairburn sykes fighting knife design. i think the other side of the blade even refers to it as a "combat folder" so it's going to be pretty impossible to justify any sensible or lawfull reason to be carrying it about. it is nicely put together though.

Last edited by poppy; 18th February 2016 at 01:01.

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697 View Post
    Go somewhere where you can try them if possible. If you're going to use it every day it needs to be comfortable to carry and easy to open.
    I went through a number of knives including a CRKT Liong Mah and Sog Slipzilla, both of which were too heavy and needed two hands to open.
    They may appear silly, but I don't think the Spyderco UKPK can be beaten, the Byrd Tern is also a decent alternative.
    Good advice; anyone know any stockists near Manchester? Google isn't helping, for once.

^The place I linked earlier is in Crewe, but not sure if you can visit.
    http://www.knifebargains.co.uk/index.html

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Essexman View Post
    Some UK edc knives I own, or have owned.

Taditional folder by Russ White Sheffield

I really like the idea of something like that. can you suggest where to purchase and maybe other potential makers?

Cheers

Most of mine

Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I wouldn't buy a locking folder, except for fun at home, because a knife that's not on you is useless, and you're not allowed to carry locking blades (in the UK).
    I'd qualify that - if you've good reason its perfectly fine to carry a locking blade knife in the UK.

My EDC is a SAK with a three inch locking blade. I use it daily at work, and carry it when I'm off work too. I've never been stopped and searched, ever, and have no reason to expect this to happen in the future.

If it does happen I can justify carrying this blade because I habitually use it at work, it's a practical size (not too small), safe (locking blade) and handy (lots of genuinely useful functions) and it doesn't look like I should be wearing a black balaclava to carry it.

If it was confiscated I'd miss it, for sure, but it's cheap and easy to replace.

And if I was prosecuted? Call me naive, but that just seems so unlikely I'm not going to worry about it. Remember, carry a chair leg or a bicycle pump and you can be busted for carrying an offensive weapon.

Context is everything, and you - and your own good character - are part of that context.

Quote Originally Posted by paul.in.kendal View Post
    I'd qualify that - if you've good reason its perfectly fine to carry a locking blade knife in the UK.

My EDC is a SAK with a three inch locking blade. I use it daily at work, and carry it when I'm off work too. I've never been stopped and searched, ever, and have no reason to expect this to happen in the future.

If it does happen I can justify carrying this blade because I habitually use it at work, it's a practical size (not too small), safe (locking blade) and handy (lots of genuinely useful functions) and it doesn't look like I should be wearing a black balaclava to carry it.

If it was confiscated I'd miss it, for sure, but it's cheap and easy to replace.

And if I was prosecuted? Call me naive, but that just seems so unlikely I'm not going to worry about it. Remember, carry a chair leg or a bicycle pump and you can be busted for carrying an offensive weapon.

Context is everything, and you - and your own good character - are part of that context.

While all that is theoretically true, you have to remember that the law is a complete ass. It has been known for courts to dish out custodial sentences to a person for carrying a locking knife in a carrier bag, on the way home from the shop the poor sod just bought it from. Good reasons apparently have to be very very good indeed.
    Last edited by Groundrush; 19th February 2016 at 13:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    While all that is theoretically true, you have to remember that the law is a complete ass. It has been known for courts to dish out custodial sentences to a person for carrying a locking knife in a carrier bag, on the way home from the shop the poor sod just bought it from. Good reasons apparently have to be very very good indeed.
    I'd like to know the full circumstances of that (ridiculous-sounding) prosecution, but I'd still urge people to consider the actual likelihood of it happening to them, too.

As I say, I can't envisage getting stopped and searched, and you have to wonder why the poor sod who got busted on his way home from shopping was SUSsed in the first place.

Nice one, that's a Dutch army issue one - but I'm sure you already knew that.

I love threads like these and it's unfortunate that I really don't need another collecting hobby...

I mostly carry alox SAKs nowadays light, slim,strong,UK friendly and I find I use the tools a lot.
    for years I had thought they where a gimmick and only used leathermans [I was wrong].

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomw2000 View Post
    I really like the idea of something like that. can you suggest where to purchase and maybe other potential makers?

Cheers
    Sorry to say that Russell White may not be making any knives right now. He suffered some health issues last year. They do come up for sale on britishblades.com now and then.

Best bet would be to search http://www.heinnie.com/ of join BB forum and put a wanted add up.

A quick look on HH

http://www.heinnie.com/knives-and-to...d/arthurwright Check reviews, I've no idea about that brands quality etc.

Master
    Sorry to say that Russell White may not be making any knives right now. He suffered some health issues last year. They do come up for sale on britishblades.com now and then.

Best bet would be to search http://www.heinnie.com/ of join BB forum and put a wanted add up.

A quick look on HH

http://www.heinnie.com/knives-and-to...d/arthurwright Check reviews, I've no idea about that brands quality etc.

Quote Originally Posted by paul.in.kendal View Post
    My EDC is a SAK with a three inch locking blade. I use it daily at work, and carry it when I'm off work too.
    That's fine if you're on your way to or returning from work. Not otherwise.

Leave aside whether you think the law is sensible or not, or whether you think you're likely to get searched or not, or whether you'd accept the consequences or not. We can all make those decisions for ourselves, but you need to know what the law is before you decide when and how to break it.

Some lovely knives shown on this thread. I must resist spending more.
    Tbh I wouldn't risk taking anything big out and about with me - just not worth the risk (especially not something that locks!)
    Personally I would even be apprehensive about taking something like the Roadie into Tescos etc.

Leave aside whether you think the law is sensible or not, or whether you think you're likely to get searched or not, or whether you'd accept the consequences or not. We can all make those decisions for ourselves, but you need to know what the law is before you decide when and how to break it.
    Agreed 100%.

For me, the risk of anything going awry rises from next-to-nothing when I'm at work or commuting, to very slightly less than next-to-nothing at other times. But agreed, it's my judgement, based on an understanding of the law as it stands, not as how I'd like it. And it'll rightly be my arse that gets kicked if it does all go pear-shaped.

In just the same way, I've carried spades and pruning saws, incendiaries (emergency flares), a ten inch carbon steel cook's knife - even a bicycle pump, on occasion.

Master

You may fine that a judge would disagree with that. On you way to work and returning from work you have no reason to keep said tool on you. Same as you wouldn't walk around Tesco's with a chainsaw or pick axe.

At the end of the day only you can decide what you think is right. But I would recommend reading up on the law just in case you are stopped. One wrong word can get you in a lot of trouble.

You may fine that a judge would disagree with that.
    If so, I'd tell him that I read it on gov.uk:

"Examples of good reasons to carry a knife in public can include:

taking knives you use at work to and from work"

I couldn't decide between the Boker plus XD and the PK70. So I bought both. I'll probably return one. Probably.

Rubbish amateur comparison review to follow in due course (this one is sharp and pointy; this other one is pointy, and erm sharp...)

I should'nt have seen this thread , I'm down to this pair of K'ROO now I feel I need more .
    [IMG][/IMG]

Banned
    nice, I sold my kroo FF on here but it was a slow sale

I expect people don't realise how special they are.

anyway who would like to see my new custom UK friendly knife?

Banned

carpet fitter, Gardener, gamekeeper etc. its a tool of the job no problem to and from work with a locking knife.

but put it in the boot or locked glove box so it isn't to hand just to be safe.

Master

Not here to play quote ping pong. But........

I think said judge would refer to the legislation, which is not the same as the GOV website (typical eh!) - http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/33/section/139

139 Offence of having article with blade or point in public place.E+W

(1)Subject to subsections (4) and (5) below, any person who has an article to which this section applies with him in a public place shall be guilty of an offence.

(2)Subject to subsection (3) below, this section applies to any article which has a blade or is sharply pointed except a folding pocketknife.

(3)This section applies to a folding pocketknife if the cutting edge of its blade exceeds 3 inches.

(4)It shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under this section to prove that he had good reason or lawful authority for having the article with him in a public place.

(5)Without prejudice to the generality of subsection (4) above, it shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under this section to prove that he had the article with him—

(a)for use at work;

(b)for religious reasons; or

(c)as part of any national costume.

(6)A person guilty of an offence under subsection (1) above shall be liable-

[F1(a)on summary conviction, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months, or a fine not exceeding the statutory maximum, or both;

(b)on conviction on indictment, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding [F2four] years, or a fine, or both.]

(7)In this section “public place” includes any place to which at the material time the public have or are permitted access, whether on payment or otherwise.

(8)This section shall not have effect in relation to anything done before it comes into force.

Master
    nice, I sold my kroo FF on here but it was a slow sale

I expect people don't realise how special they are.

anyway who would like to see my new custom UK friendly knife
    ?

Me!