closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch is running too fast, what should be the price to fix?

Craftsman

Watch is running too fast, what should be the price to fix?

Hallo everyone,

I am curious here, my automatic Archimede pilot watch is running to fast. I went to a local watchmaker and he measured it and told me that it needed some cleaning and lube. (i am not sure, exactly, what needed to be done.).

If someone has any experience with this, assume that it does not need to change any parts.

What would you say this should cost, just ballpark figures.

Thanks!

I would try demagnetising it first personally

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    I would try demagnetising it first personally
    Yes, i have read about that before. I think that my watchmaker did test for that first, he used some kind of old school equipment and told me that everyone was fine in these regards. It needed that oil/lube and that the watch should be opened.

He is experienced, so i would be surprised if that wasnt what he did first.

I am just curious if he is overcharging for the latter (open the watch, lube and all he is doing), or if i am paying a fair price.

Master
    How old is the watch and did it just suddenly start running fast, or was it gradual? Also, how fast is it running?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    How old is the watch and did it just suddenly start running fast, or was it gradual? Also, how fast is it running?
    I bought it in 2012 and then i sold it in late 2013 and just recently bought the exact same watch back. I am not sure whether it happened gradually or suddenly. Then i asked the seller he said that didnt know and seemed surprised. It was about 3-5 minutes each day - too much to live with.

Master
    Woah, that does sound either magnetised (doubtful) or very much in need of a service!

I bought a watch here a few months ago and it arrived running very fast (c. 20 minutes a day!!!!)

I tried demagnetising it, but to no effect and it needed a clean and lube to sort it out - Runs fine now.

I sent it to the http://www.watchdoctors.co.uk/ in Tring (I'd not used them before, but I'd seen some positive responses) - I think I paid £140 for a service on a chrono, a simple 3 hander would be cheaper.

M.

Master
    Running fast is due to reduced swing on the balance, which is either magnetised, a caught up or fouled (speck of dust) hairspring or gummy lube. Ask for a quote from Steve Burrage at Ryte Time. Send the watch, he will open it, examine it and quote. If you don't want to proceed, he will return it. Top bloke.

Grand Master
    If it's been demagnetised and shown no improvement the watch will need fully stripping down, cleaning and rebuilding. It's usually worth fitting a new mainspring too. Expect to be paying around £100, possibly more depending who you deal with. Also expect a 12 month guarantee.

Experience has taught me that doing partial stripdowns is not a good idea; better to strip the whole things and go through it thoroughly. That's the way I tend to work thesedays with few exceptions.

It's just possible the watch has had a hard knock and the hairspring has somehow tangled itself slightly (some watches are prone to this). If that's the case it may be easy for a repairer to rectify, don`t try it yourself.

Paul

Craftsman
    Thanks for the comments, i did end up paying 75$ for a general cleaning and lube/oil. If the watch works like it should from now on i reckon that the price is fair.